Any WD's still running Splinters?

As the topic says really, just wondering how many Witch Doctor's are still running with a splinters build (or minor alterations) I fully cleared Inferno on my WD with Splinters before 1.03 and haven't tried since, just the normal farming. After the patch I had already got some LoH tank gear so when the patch hit I used the spec for that, I had good success with it in terms of farming Act 3 and 4 with no real trouble.

However I have not been enjoying it as much as the darts build. It's not even that things die slower because with the tank build because in that build a lot of things die at the same time and I timed my runs of siegebreaker or spider/azmo and there's at most a 10 minute difference (which isn't a lot in my opinion).

In my dart gear I have ~42k damage with semi "glass cannony" stats/gear and everything is still dying as I'd expect. Pony farming is still fairly easy so I've just been doing the Act 1 elite run with finishing up in the pony level.

So yeah I was just curious if people still used the build and if so how much damage they have etc!
    I use splinters, like this http://us.battle.net...URkX!ZWV!aaZZaY

Got 67k damage and with all that cc, 30k life, 4.2k armor (8k with horrifiy) and 400 resistances i can survive and mobs die fast. Attack speed is 1.67. I haven't tried tanky builds so i can't really compare but i can farm just fine.

Also check Acrol's channel, he has over 100k damage (i sacrifice some for MF, cba to gear switch when elite dies) and a bit different spec.
    I can see what you see not.
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    I never started the splinter build I just went bears for AoE.

The skills I use are Soul Harvest, Fetish Army, Big Bad Voodoo, Spirit Walk
    My left click is Zombie Charger with bears.
    My right click is Haunt.

I didn't have a problem soloing act 3 or act 4 pre 1.03.

My base DPS is 40k but with the critical gear that I have I manage to clock in 380-390k damage with bears. People underestimate the WD in its capabilities but it is a powerhouse if the build is played properly, especially if it is stacked on critical damage gear.

I just have 4 skills on cool and cast them constantly without worrying about many.
    I take care of low life w/ Soul Harvest w/ Life Siphon.
    The Big Bad Voodoo rune I use is the one that increases yours and everyone elses in your party 20% attack speed and damage. Fetish Army is essential for tackling crazy mobs and do a ton of damage. I runed Spirit Walk to regenerate Mana just in case my 4 skills are not on cool down.

Haunt I use for reflect damage mobs, because I'll get one hit with it.

My other stats

I have dex to about 400 for some dodge which I find important
    Intelligence is about 2.2k
    Vitality is about 1.2k
    and not much on strength.

My resists currently on inferno is like 850.
    darts number 1, everything else number 2
    Still use darts... I don't enjoy vision quest much and with the way mana currently is... it's hard to do anything besides darts or a VQ build. Even with Darts I'm starting to have mana problems.
    Quote from Ruppgu

Still use darts... I don't enjoy vision quest much and with the way mana currently is... it's hard to do anything besides darts or a VQ build. Even with Darts I'm starting to have mana problems.

Same here, Im trying to experiment with diffrent variants of the primaries at times but darts still seem to be the best one.

Frogs are just too unpredictable, slow and lack range. Rain of toads doesnt do enough damage since when you spam it, it doesnt seem to do full damage.

Spiders doesnt do enough damage quickly enough and has somewhat unpredictable attack patterns, the leaping ones are actually pretty nifty at times but they still dont seem to do enough damage.

Bombs dont do enough damage period, it should be 140% atleast since the radius of the damage is pretty crap and it impossible to to make a decent amount on a single target.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeZXjU!VXW!aYabcc

My gear cant really support (and I currently can't afford) a VQ/Bears build or a Tank Dr RoT build so this is what I've been using. I am currently farming A1 & 2 and slowly progressing in A3. My build revolves around the concept of being extremely elusive while dealing as much damage from max range as possible. This build does not need a lot of mana so I have no issues using PtV w/o VQ or SA. I have so many "get out of jail free" spells that I don't need defensive passives like BM or JF. My gear focuses on as much Int as possible with some crit/crit dmg mixed in. I don't specifically stack IAS, but I don't specifically avoid it either. I have about 29k dps (post IAS nerf but including PtV), 33k HP and ~300 resist to all except fire which I have ~500 (being at max range all the time I really only need to worry about motors). I look for slow 2H weps with the highest top end dmg as possible. Its a very fun build and provides a lot of entertainment. I can kite forever and still deal a respectable amount of damage. My darts hit for about 20-25k white damage each dart (60k-75k per cast) and my Haunt ticks for about 8k each tick (96k per cast). Even GoTD can tick for about 3k each tick (24k per cast per target). Do I miss the big crit numbers from bears/bats that I used in normal - hell mode? Sure, but until I can get better gear, this set up is working really well. I almost *never* die which has helped save me thousands of gold in repair bills. This build is especially nice when going co-op with my DH buddy who has a 15% dps boost on snared targets. This has been a great build for me.
    I tried going back to a direbat vision quest build over lunch today. 20,000 gold later I'm back to darts... it was far too easy to die with cooldowns not always ready. I don't see myself straying from darts unless things change... it's just a lot safer than most builds out there.
    Splinter and Bears at the same time.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Quote from Slayerviper

Wds riding zombie bears shooting splinters?

Jokes aside thats kind of hard considering you want spirit walk off cooldown and/or have 5 possible cooldowns on so that you have less to manage.
    Quote from Findulidas

Wds riding zombie bears shooting splinters?

Jokes aside thats kind of hard considering you want spirit walk off cooldown and/or have 5 possible cooldowns on so that you have less to manage.

Haha that would be awesome!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#afdUQP!WVU!acZaYb my messed up version of Bears, works well for me though.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    From my experience the splinter/bears build(s) are a troubled marriage. You usually want to dump the cd spells then go to spamming, but when safety calls for saving a spirit walk you instantly hit mana problems (if you've been spamming). Conversely if you approach a situation safely with the intent of using splinters, you have some long cooldowns and not much (if any) ability to actually kite.

I tried to remedy the issue by keeping the usual splinter/kite cooldowns (grasp, swalk, harvest, and hex). It works, but I can't quite run pierce the veil due to my sad equipment. Still, it seems like the most promising compromise spec for single-target kiting and aoe. The only downside being massive and constant micro-management of your cooldowns.
    us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#afURQP!WbU!acZZZb

using this with 40k dps, 500 all resist, 40k hp, 3.3k armor, 300% crit dmg, 38% crit
    Quote from Slayerviper

I do this too. I can't stand splinters builds that have weak/no aoe because they make trash mobs so slow, and I don't really want to do a pure bears build because it has such bad range and bears can be awfully buggy (even before 1.0.3).
    Quote from phuzi0n

Quote from Slayerviper

I do this too. I can't stand splinters builds that have weak/no aoe because they make trash mobs so slow, and I don't really want to do a pure bears build because it has such bad range and bears can be awfully buggy (even before 1.0.3).

If your gear gets better, the lack of AoE doesn't matter much. I mean... I only have 40k dps but my AoE is fine between zombie wall and Grasp. I can kill an entire room in seconds.
    I'm running a barb now, far less depressing than WD.
    Quote from pilch

I'm running a barb now, far less depressing than WD.

Well after the latest patches it is the "flavor of the month". What if wd's pets will be buffed like they said and with the skill balance later on the wds skills will be much stronger compared to barbs. Just saying , if a class is much easier blizzard will probably to do something against that.
    I can vouch for barbarians being flavor of the month. The few cooperative public games i've joined have been predominated by barbs.

I can't say I envy them though, they die about 5x more often than I do. Spirit walk is great. :D
    Quote from proletaria

I can't say I envy them though, they die about 5x more often than I do. Spirit walk is great. :D

Thats probably why I like my wd more than any of the other classes. It cant tank, it does less dps than wiz and dh, but between all the ccs, spirit walk and vessel I dont die very often unless I push forward into act 3-4 recklessly.
    Quote from Findulidas

Thats probably why I like my wd more than any of the other classes. It cant tank, it does less dps than wiz and dh, but between all the ccs, spirit walk and vessel I dont die very often unless I push forward into act 3-4 recklessly.

To me that just isn't interesting, especially when you consider the amount of cc reduction on champ packs in inferno.

Barbs are only 'flavour of the month' because:

1 - Demon hunters were nerfed
    2 - Content was nerfed
    3 - Gear is much easier to get than early after release

All of these things add up to make playing a barb rather easier than it used to be, except #1, that just means less people will play DH.

All in all I'm just getting bored of the game now. This wasn't helped by choosing the 2nd worst class to level up first, thus forever being behind in gear compared to the people I play with since I'm not getting fed gear like all these people with 100k dps who claim they can faceroll act 4 using something ridiculous like toad of hugeness as a main nuke.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes