2Handed Skorn or Echoing Fury + Thing of the deep

Hi guys, I was wondering today if it would be better to switch from a Skorn (+246% crit damage) to an echoing Fury mace + thing of the deep. I guess it's all about crit damage?
    I am not planning to go for a bears-build, and I have little gold to spend (1 millie for now hehe...) Any advice is much appreciated.

I can't apply a signature to my account yet before I posted 10 times...
    My account: eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rumf-2250
    Hi Rumfy,
    Well if you are not going for bears what are you going to use? This is very important part of the decision for you, and then again it all depends on your play style. Let me sum this up for you:
    1) Use skorn if you wan't to hit like a truck and 1 hit all white. Well depending on the skill you are using and MP you are on but you get the point.
    2) Skorn is not good for spammable spells since it is sooooooo slow. Darts are out of the question. If you are using bears, or the acid cloud build,or maybe bats or locust you can go for skorn. BUT if you want darts, fire bomb or any other spells that cost low and are spammable, skorn is the wrong way to go.
    3) Echoing has the best DMG output as a 1 hander but has a downside: FEAR. Trust me, this was maybe good back in the early days when we were all dying like hell but now it is just anoying. If you are going to use echoing and bears or acid cloud you are not going to have a good time. They will always run away from your spells.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you have an idea on what you want to play + an alternitive I might be able to give you better advice.

Hi Rumfy,
    Well if you are not going for bears what are you going to use? This is very important part of the decision for you, and then again it all depends on your play style. Let me sum this up for you:
    1) Use skorn if you wan't to hit like a truck and 1 hit all white. Well depending on the skill you are using and MP you are on but you get the point.
    2) Skorn is not good for spammable spells since it is sooooooo slow. Darts are out of the question. If you are using bears, or the acid cloud build,or maybe bats or locust you can go for skorn. BUT if you want darts, fire bomb or any other spells that cost low and are spammable, skorn is the wrong way to go.
    3) Echoing has the best DMG output as a 1 hander but has a downside: FEAR. Trust me, this was maybe good back in the early days when we were all dying like hell but now it is just anoying. If you are going to use echoing and bears or acid cloud you are not going to have a good time. They will always run away from your spells.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you have an idea on what you want to play + an alternitive I might be able to give you better advice.

Hi Ice,

Thanks for your quick reply. I pretty much rely on Acid Cloud, this because reflect damage almost kills me instantly. WIth Acid Cloud I am able to survive quite well. I do need to be carefull tho.
    I never really used bears, but I have little defense at the moment so I guess bears won't do for me. The build I use right now suits me best, I first slow my enemies with grasp and then acid cloud them. Left overs are killed by my gargantuan and splinters.
    I was able to kill diablo on inferno with no monster power level on my own and I usually play act 3 > heart of sin on monster power level 2 for farming items.

I would like to improve my witch doctor a little so farming for items will be a bit easier and then when I found some nice items I would like to sell them and go for zuni armor and boots and vile ward shoulders. And I am considering switching my Skorn then maybe.
    My main problem now is reflect damage from elites...
    If your main problem is RD then do go for the SKORN. You would not be able to afford yourself a a good one hander with life steal. Although skorn with life steal is also expensive. Maybe you can take a look at some alternative 2 handers with LS.
    The problem with this is that 3% LS that you get from one hander is just not enough. You can eliviate some part with LOH but this is just not good enough.

OK, so I've looked at your profile now. Your main problem is your chest. You should replace that first. Chests are not that expensive now, just dont look for life % on them. You really dont need it. If the reflect is killing you 7% life is not going to help. Also for crit dmg to be effective you need much more crit chance, at this point you are critting rare. You need to get this up to 30% at least. 40 to be your goal. You will get much more from crit chance now than from crit DMG.

If something is too expensive for you you can lower your standards a bit. If you need INT, Vita, RES ALL and armor. Dont look all on items it is more cost effective to take INT Vita + res all on one and int vita + armor on another. You can save money this way and get an upgrade at the end. If you dont have enough money for one item, maybe you have for a few of them using this techique. Try to scout the AH and see if you can get something this way.
    Ok Ice, thanks alot for your advice! I will try and look the AH for a new chest first as I can survive well at the moment. Then when I got more gold I will try and find a good 2 hander with life steal. What specs do I need to aim for on the chest in your opinion? Just intelligence and res all?

Ok Ice, thanks alot for your advice! I will try and look the AH for a new chest first as I can survive well at the moment. Then when I got more gold I will try and find a good 2 hander with life steal. What specs do I need to aim for on the chest in your opinion? Just intelligence and res all?

I would go for int, high vita, to accomodate for loss of 7%, ress all and 3 sockets.
    All depending on how much money you have. 100 INT 150+ Vita, 3 soc, 40 + All res would be my suggestion..
    If that is too expensive for you go for less int. But keep the 3 soc.
    It is not a bad option to have no INT but high vita and 3 socks. If you socket them with int you can get 3 * 34, if you use the lowest of gems. that is still better than 70 what you have now. But really I would not suggest spending your money unless you can get a real upgrade.
    Don't know the price of the chest I suggested. If you can't afford it I would suggest waiting until you can. Remember that 10 int is 1 res all. So if you have 48 res all and a 100 int more that is exactly the same as your current chest but you also have more DMG ;)
    If your stash isnt full. Keep both if you get them.
    I would go for Echoing Fury. Why? I like speed in all classes.

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Thanks all!

@Ice: Thanks I will look for a chest with similar stats as soon as I log in again.

@Enkeria: I prefer a speedy killer too, but this is my first char I plan on farming for gold and items. And my only problem at the moment is Reflect Damage. As soon as I got that covered I will take a look at my attack speed as it really sucks at the moment, thanks for sharing.

Thanks all!

@Ice: Thanks I will look for a chest with similar stats as soon as I log in again.

@Enkeria: I prefer a speedy killer too, but this is my first char I plan on farming for gold and items. And my only problem at the moment is Reflect Damage. As soon as I got that covered I will take a look at my attack speed as it really sucks at the moment, thanks for sharing.

If your stash isnt full. Keep both if you get them.
    I would go for Echoing Fury. Why? I like speed in all classes.

Good luck With echoing fury with life steal and! KHM, i mean get your wallet ready :P
    Seriously, Acid cloud build is not good with echoing fury, also bears suck with that. And there is no possible way of getting through RD with only 3% LS. Keep that in mind. Dying while farming isn't effective.

If you go with firebomb, or poison dart as your main, than EF is better than Skorn, just get a lot of LOH then too. And go for attack speed also on other items. All in all this would end up being a much more expensive build if you go for trifecta on all jewels and gloves. With 2 hander AS is just a paper DMG, no real damage comes from that, you only get burst(I'm talking about sittuation where you play with bears, or Acid cloud when you run out of mana. AS is only good while you have mana)
    I love the pick up radius on thing of the deep so I would definitely try to aim for echoing fury + thing of the deep if its not too much dps loss.
    Thanks Taisto, when I have enough budget I will try it out for sure.
    For Acid-Cloud get a Skorn with int and high life on hit. Preferably >1000loh, they are pretty cheap compared to life steal and life on hit is MUCH better with acid cloud.

For Acid-Cloud get a Skorn with int and high life on hit. Preferably >1000loh, they are pretty cheap compared to life steal and life on hit is MUCH better with acid cloud.

Thanks alot for the tip!! Will check out the AH
    I use Acid Cloud + Flaming Dart.... I personally like EF+ Thing of the Deep over Skorn. Just because I still one shot most white on MP3 with AC and once I run out of mana I can quickly shot em down with Poison Dart. Plus I love TotD for the pickup radius.

I use Acid Cloud + Flaming Dart.... I personally like EF+ Thing of the Deep over Skorn. Just because I still one shot most white on MP3 with AC and once I run out of mana I can quickly shot em down with Poison Dart. Plus I love TotD for the pickup radius.

I tried the flaming dart + acid cloud build yesterday just for a few minutes to see how it works with my skorn setup right now. But it doesn't work at all actually. But I guess it's because of my gear setup. Whenever I swap out jungle fortitude I lose 10k damage...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes