The Sickest underrated WD helm! In my opinion!

Hello guys!

I tried out some legendarys when patch 1.0.4 hit and a helm i tried is friggin amazing.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-grin-reaper

This helms proc gives you 2 skeleton illusions (you also become a awesome looking skelly) which lasts 5s and the cd is 5s so you will have them up constantly. They cast your spells which you have on the bar, but the only 1 worth mentioning is Grasp of the Dead, the rest have no effect. The illusions will cast it and it slows elites, etc when you are kiting. The rune of choice on grasp also works on them.

Pic of grasp allover the place and the skelly effect
    http://i.imgur.com/KHQUs.jpg

In fact, this helm is so good I'm afraid they will nerf it! But since i don't play a lot of D3 anymore, I figured sharing the fun would be a good idea.

I lose like 6k dmg and 2k hp from using this helm but it is 100% worth it IMO (what other item can tank and cast slow for you?)

This helm is like 10k on AH so you can just try it before investing in one with socket/int.

Thanks for reading and have fun! :3

Edit: fixed links now that i have 10+ posts
    looks fun, thanks for the info.
    Monsters will also sometimes target the illusions, thus giving you more survivability by soaking hits. The illusions can't be destroyed and they seem to proc 100% from damaging spells.
    not bad!Seems fun.Too bad all the legies i haev are BEFORE the 1.0.4 patch so you can guess they are useless
    I bought one of these for cheap, did some brief testing, here's what I learned:

- Procs very often, It has practically a 100% uptime.
    - The mimics don't do any damage, neither do their spells.
    - Their grasp of the dead will snare enemies, but won't do any damage.
    - Runes like Death is Life and corpse rain won't work on their spells, only the snare portion will work.
    - They will cast Horrify but it doesn't seem to fear enemies so it's kinda useless.
    - Mimics can't cast Hex nor Wall of Zombies.

I like the helm, won't be using it all the time but I'll keep it on my bag for a quick swap if I need to snare a lot of mobs or I'm in trouble.
    Thanks for the tip.
    So you actually need to have grasp on your keys in order for the mimics to cast it?
    WD - Barb - DH
    Quote from Windy

So you actually need to have grasp on your keys in order for the mimics to cast it?

That's correct.
    Quote from Windy

They cast it as you cast it. They won't cast it on their own.
    That sound like a bug, unfortunely. Snaring is the effect that works with this ? I mean, did you try using Numbing Dart ?
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    did some testing, they can cast mostly slows, but possibly nothing else.

i tested with most skills and i only saw them cast

soul harvest - languish

grasp of the dead - all runes but no damage unbreakable grasp 80% slow still applied. death is life rune effect never proced at least i never got a dog from it.

the do cast numbing dart and snake to the face, but no other primary.

the do cast horrify. but they dont fear any mobs. and they don't gain any useful effect from the runes

im a bit sad that they dident cast mass confusion however.

, as for weapon and armor procs, the never proced anything that was on attack, but they proced plenty of on hit effects, sadly not shaeffers hammer.

so if you wannt a mega slow build with grasp and soul harvest go with grin reaper, its pretty much useless for anything else.
    Just bought a helm for 20k, and i have to agree with OP - It's some serious fun :P

Constant snares all god damn over.
    did some more practical testing. and with both soul harvest - languish and grasp of the dead - unbreakable grasp. melee mobs could pretty much never get to me. this could be great for Zombie Bear build to slow enemies so that they dont attack the WD or that they dont run away. great tools TBH.

if it works well in pvp also it would be very good for a support slow build with some heavy nuke like pile on and sacrifice. could be fun to see. i just love that the WD has so much potential. and is not bound to just one specc to do cool stuff.
    I just bought one either, agreed, OP as hell.

Infinite graps is fun.

Loged in to thank the OP for the tip, I am trowing 5k DPS away and dont regreat a bit.

Quote from K21Nova
    They cast it as you cast it. They won't cast it on their own.

They do cast by their own.
    we might finaly be able to get the massive army necromancers had in diablo 2 :P

enchantress with maximus and litany of the undaunted & the wailing host. for follower + 2 summons

WD with the grin reaper 2 summons.
    The giddbin (chance to summon fettishes)

and for the build http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#abidZT!ZVd!aZZbba

so your total number of minions excluding fetishes would be

4 zombie dogs
    1 gargantuan
    1 spider queen
    1 hex
    2 skeletons
    1 follower
    1 maximus demon
    1 ring set skeleton (they suck but hey)
    so a total of 12 and a shit load of fetishes due to the giddbin and fetish sycophants:

sure you can throw in toad of hugeness and another legacy of wicked dreams set on WD for 2 extra summons, but we want to be a bit effective at killing stuff also.

would be fun to test it out some day :P
    Quote from Vomica

we might finaly be able to get the massive army necromancers had in diablo 2 :P

You used to be able to have, IIRC, skeletons, skeletal mages and revives equal to each skill level. With ~30 in revives and skeletal mages, you could have a somewhat insane army, especially when back then revives were almost immortal.

Then Blizzard patched the game and nowadays we have like five of each or whatever.
    yepp i remeber in pre 1.08 you could have like 100 summons around you (+skill points gear)

but atm you can have max (if i remember correctly)
    8 skelitons
    8 skeletal mages
    8 revives
    and one golem.

still that was kinda messy.

still you could probably have at least 6 fetishes up at all times from the giddbin and fetish sycophants.

its probably something
    You could also use Skycutter instead of the gidbinn if you want to have different pets.

1x Garg
    1x Angel
    1x Demon
    1x Spider Queen
    1x Toad
    1x Hex /1x Manitou
    3x Skeleton (the illusion skeletons also get Manitou)
    4x Zombie dogs
    6x Fetishes (from army of fetishes for example)
    I'm happy you guys find this as fun as i did :) I also read that the transformation breaks snares, for example jailers, can anyone confirm this?
    Quote from strakh

I'm happy you guys find this as fun as i did :) I also read that the transformation breaks snares, for example jailers, can anyone confirm this?

It does indeed break jails.
    Quote from K21Nova

It does indeed break jails.

Wow. That's nice!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes