Advice on a good summoner build

I think summoner is the poor man's progression build at this point. I went with a fully defensive (ZH, JF, FL passives) build and managed to slowly whittle my way through act3 with my shamefully under-geared WD. Granted it's horrifically slow by comparison to farming act1, but I'm reasonably certain that, tanky as they are, the pets will be able to hold up all the way to diablo.

The only elites which give much trouble are the teleporters (vortex, jailer, etc. can all be more or less dealt with by spirit walk timing) who can nail me before pets get back into position. Most packs are simply tanked indefinitely as I rain toads down on them for an embarrassingly slow death.

I must say; however, I don't find the fetish skills of much use compared to the dogs/garg. Spirit walk is of course mandatory, as is some kind of primary, leaving the two loose slots for some kind of mana spender (I waffle between bears and grasp) and soul harvest. Having the longer cooldown fetish spells and passives in a build really detracts too much from dog/garg survival (in my gear) and leaves you with very little in return.
    personally, I feel that WD is playing how it was initially envisioned and how many of us (including myself) thought would be the gameplay style.

I play all classes in inferno act 3 and above so i know without bias that the changes give you another casting dynamic over the wizard. I played both tankdoc and cmwiztank, very much enjoying both specs and facerolling diablo inferno (with shared gear), but with the current changes i feel the 2 have become more distinctively different and also just as fun.
    Quote from proletaria

I must say; however, I don't find the fetish skills of much use compared to the dogs/garg. Spirit walk is of course mandatory, as is some kind of primary,

Ya, the fetish passive is really underwhelming at the moment, especially compared to the other summoner based passives and i also dislike the summon fetishes spells it would be nice if they replaced one of it's runes with something that reduced the number you get to like 2 and allowed you to have them permanently. (I can't really justify us having 2 summoning voodoo spells though :D).

Haha we are the poor men! Progression is slow but I am still fascinated at how good the pets are now, they feel just right in the later acts, I really have to work to keep them alive but they go down slowly over 10 seconds on more difficult packs so i can heal journey or grab a health globe to help them out, i really like this gameplay, i know with gear this will fade and they'll look after themselves and my role will switch more to damage dealer though.

Another skill I've been toying around with is zombie wall, the increased damage is really nice, but the cool down is a tad to big, If it was about 15 seconds I'd probably work it into my build.

Quote from DiaBro

personally, I feel that WD is playing how it was initially envisioned and how many of us (including myself) thought would be the gameplay style.

Exactly how i feel, i basically abandoned my WD at lvl 57 because i didn't want a magic caster, i wanted a summoner from Day one of diablo and he was the first char i went through the game with. I'm really happy he works now.
    I'm having fun with the following spec focusing on mass AoE.

Seems to be working well since i was struggling to progress Act 2 before 1.0.4. Especially with the Enchantress as a follower.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRYXUT!adg!ccYYca

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Akuzetsu-2308/hero/32649
    currently farming act1 & 2 effortlessly http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gulvklud-2353/hero/72221, used to play barb so some items are obviously crap...
    Quote from proletaria

I think summoner is the poor man's progression build at this point. I went with a fully defensive (ZH, JF, FL passives) build and managed to slowly whittle my way through act3 with my shamefully under-geared WD. Granted it's horrifically slow by comparison to farming act1, but I'm reasonably certain that, tanky as they are, the pets will be able to hold up all the way to diablo.

I don't necessarily think it's the "poor man's progression build." I think it's more along the line of finally affording the WD the control that we were clearly supposed to have. We can basically take one defensive ability, prop it up with some passives if necessary, take 2-3 offensive abilities (I consider Gargantuan offensive due to the damage output), and a few utility abilities.

This is quite a deviation from previous WD build which would go very heavy on defensive/utility abilities (and passives) and very light on our offensive ability selection. Specifically the Zombie Dogs open up so many options for us and, therefore, become a lynchpin in many post-1.0.4 builds. They also severely scale up the value of armor/resistances for us which is huge.
    p427 :: 89.1k EK :: 2.47m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from RSnooks

I'm having fun with the following spec focusing on mass AoE.

Seems to be working well since i was struggling to progress Act 2 before 1.0.4. Especially with the Enchantress as a follower.

http://eu.battle.net...YXUT!adg!ccYYca

http://eu.battle.net...2308/hero/32649

im using the same spec as you do (only with big stinker rune) and it works like a charm. corpse bomb is also really good single target dmg

but im not sure which follower would be best for a summoner build: templar gives us some nice health regen (need a pssive to affect pets) and the enchantress gives us 15% more armor and 3% attack speed

what do you guys think?
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from proletaria

I don't necessarily think it's the "poor man's progression build." I think it's more along the line of finally affording the WD the control that we were clearly supposed to have. We can basically take one defensive ability, prop it up with some passives if necessary, take 2-3 offensive abilities (I consider Gargantuan offensive due to the damage output), and a few utility abilities.

This is quite a deviation from previous WD build which would go very heavy on defensive/utility abilities (and passives) and very light on our offensive ability selection. Specifically the Zombie Dogs open up so many options for us and, therefore, become a lynchpin in many post-1.0.4 builds. They also severely scale up the value of armor/resistances for us which is huge.

I didn't mean to imply the summons in general were [only good] for the poor WDs like me. I was suggesting the full dog/garg buffed builds are very comfortable in terrible gear, much more so than other builds I tried. :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes