Anjuna's WD build (soloing/dps)

Alright, time to put my WD's build under critique. What this build offers:

-Much diversity in damage sources (fire, arcane, physical, (poison)).
    -Great damage output.
    -Alternative choices to make this WD VERY durable (40 % DR).
    -Uses Templar and Gargantuan as tanks and cc.
    -Has two "panic" skills to escape death (fitting for hc also).
    -Healthy combination of cc and damage.

Main skills:

Firebomb with Pyrogeist or Ghost Bomb - This looks like a great low mana cost aoe spell, that is spammable even if I run out of mana. Fire damage.

Haunt with Grasping Spirit - Cool looking spammable dot, that is much cheaper than locust swarm and has a nice 30 % slow coming along with it. Arcane damage.

Spirit Barrage with Manitou or Phantasm - This will be my number one spell versus bosses or tough single mobs, although high mana cost, we will yet see how it will work. Physical damage.

Mass Confusion with Unstable realm / Horrify with Phobia - My number one CC spell, with 15 sec cd and 12 sec duration, also has a chance to convert enemies. / Another CC spell, with 18 sec* cd and 10 sec duration, we have yet to see what kind of radius mass confusion has versus horrify.

Gargantuan with Bruise or Big Stinker** - My second tank, that will do some small dps and has a chance to stun enemies for 3 second dealing 100 % of my weapon damage (more cc). With Big Stinker it deals some aoe poison damage and has another benefit I will discuss later. Physical / Physical & poison damage.

Spirit Walk with Healing Journey - This will be my 13 sec* panic button that heals 14 % of my maxium health. I suppose it can also be used as a low mana cost healing spell if I am facing weak enemy packs.

Passive skills:

Spiritual Attunement - Obviously 20 % more mana is great and it comes with a nice 1 % mana per second regen as well.

Pierce the Veil - Increases my damage output by 20 %. Used with Spiritual Attunement (we have yet to see how I will manage mana at later stages of the game).

Spirit Vessel - This will be my other life saver along with Spirit Walk. When receiving fatal damage, it sends me to spirit realm (invisible I suppose...) and heals me 10 % of my maxium health. HC players gotta love this one.
    *It also comes with a nice -2 sec from cd to Spirit Walk and Horrify

Alternative passive skills:

Jungle Fortitude - If I am struggling with my health, a neat 20 % damage reduction can't hurt.

**Bad Medicine - While using Gargatuan's Big stinker, this passive gives additional 20 % damage reduction that has 100 % uptime. Note: I suppose big stinker will count as MY poison damage (even though it comes from gargantuan) AND both damage reductions stack.

Spirit Vessel

So, I suppose that's it then. I might add my templars build later but right now I don't have time for that. Please review this build and discuss my skills choices.
    If you decide to use Bad Medicine as a passive I would use a poison dealing spell as well. Relying on Gargantuan with Big Stinker won't get a reliable dmg reduction as the Garg only affects enemies around him and may chase after mobs that have seperated from the main pack. Also I'll have to use Spirit Walk before I'm sold on it as the fact that you can still be hit makes me nervous for using it as a panic button.
    Quote from Swampmonkey5

If you decide to use Bad Medicine as a passive I would use a poison dealing spell as well. Relying on Gargantuan with Big Stinker won't get a reliable dmg reduction as the Garg only affects enemies around him and may chase after mobs that have seperated from the main pack. Also I'll have to use Spirit Walk before I'm sold on it as the fact that you can still be hit makes me nervous for using it as a panic button.

Good points. One alternative wuold be using Locust swarm with Diseased Swarm instead of Haunt or Zombie Charger with Zombie Bears instead of Spirit Barrage, although with the latter option, I wuold have to pretty much spam it to get the 20 % reduction bonus.
    hi, heres my take on your build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hSgXTU!bfW!YaYaYc

took out haunt and added locust swarm, i think it will work better as a heavy aoe dps.

took out spirit vessel and put in rush the essence. i took the 3% life steal from spirit barrage aswell. with the passive you can spam it more often and gain more life. i dont think spirit vessel will be necessary you have to escapes with horrify and spirit walk so you can use them more liberally plus with with healing journey your pretty much reinforcing this will be your escape card. . Horrifiy and spirit walk also get a 30% discount.

also with rush of essence your trading more defensive play for more offensive play, i kept pierce the veil because i like the damage but the but the 30% mana cost is still steep thats why rush makes even more sense.
    Quote from cantwaitford3

hi, heres my take on your build.

http://us.battle.net...gXTU!bfW!YaYaYc

took out haunt and added locust swarm, i think it will work better as a heavy aoe dps.

took out spirit vessel and put in rush the essence. i took the 3% life steal from spirit barrage aswell. with the passive you can spam it more often and gain more life. i dont think spirit vessel will be necessary you have to escapes with horrify and spirit walk so you can use them more liberally plus with with healing journey your pretty much reinforcing this will be your escape card. . Horrifiy and spirit walk also get a 30% discount.

also with rush of essence your trading more defensive play for more offensive play, i kept pierce the veil because i like the damage but the but the 30% mana cost is still steep thats why rush makes even more sense.

Good points again. I had never really even thought of rush of essence, but come to think of it, most of my spells are spirit. In my opinion, I should stick with Haunt, if i decide to take rush of essence over spirit vessel, it will give a steady supply of mana no matter what I do... Again, we have yet to see how's my survivability on higher difficulties, but thank you sir, for your insight :).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes