Zombie Dogs-- Worth the active skill slot?

Poll: Are Zombie Dogs worth the active skill slot?

Are Zombie Dogs worth the slot?

Are Zombie Dogs worth the active skill slot? - Single Choice

• Too soon to tell/ wait for release 26.2%
  • No 4.9%
  • Yeah 68.9%
    Blizzard designed the WD to be viable without the zombie dogs. That being said, the zombie dogs are effectively meat shields. Their damage really isn't that great 15% per bite, per dog. If each dog is biting then it's 45% or 60% with the passive per bite in total. For an active skill slot the damage isn't that great. With the correct passives and runes, they act as health shields and batteries. With the correct passives you can have them negate close to half of the damage they take prior to any armor and resistances are applied that they will inherit from your stats, and then you can pick up a rune that will let them heal you 25% of the damage they do, OR a chance to leave behind a health globe when they die.

You should never really look at the zombie dogs as a source of damage (unless you have sacrifice as well) but as a source of damage mitigation. Damage done to them is damage not done to you, and if you pick up the indigo rune they help absorb even more damage.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?
    Quote from kendro1200

You should never really look at the zombie dogs as a source of damage (unless you have sacrifice as well) but as a source of damage mitigation. Damage done to them is damage not done to you, and if you pick up the indigo rune they help absorb even more damage.

I agree with this. WD is very much spell based class, but with my experience doesn't have the damage output that the wizard does. That and the fact that you will run out of Mana here and there, it is important to have space between you and the mobs.
    What about flowers?
    I think they can be used for damage, but being quite passive skill they just work on the background bit like dots. and utility you can utilize it with different versions of sacrifice. About the skill itself. i wouldn't go for it. rather just use the runestones for procs.
    Quote from tweanut

Quote from kendro1200

I agree with this. WD is very much spell based class, but with my experience doesn't have the damage output that the wizard does. That and the fact that you will run out of Mana here and there, it is important to have space between you and the mobs.

I wouldn't necessarily say they don't have the damage output of a wizard, so much as the damage WD does do, is not burst like a wizards is. Thus the somewhat necessity of the dogs to buy the player time for the dots to do their damage.
    Rabid Dogs is also interesting, combined with Bad Medecine .. "whenever (really ?) you (and pets ?) deal .." What if every dog can apply simultaneously that debuff on the same mob ? I know it's unlikely but .. let's expect anything (and doubt everything). Anyway, Soul Harvest and Gruesome Feast can significantly boost ZDs, it's not that half-assed .. imho.
    Quote from kendro1200

Their damage really isn't that great 15% per bite, per dog. If each dog is biting then it's 45% or 60% with the passive per bite in total. For an active skill slot the damage isn't that great.

Considering they also tank damage and last untill they die I disagree.

Quote from kendro1200

Poison Dart 295 mana 180% weapon damage
    Zombie dogs 295 mana 45% weapon damage PER HIT.
    That means if each zombie dogs hits 4 times you have the same damage/mana ratio
    They are not high burst damage but they are long term damage
    Aren't we all monsters inside?
    Well I don't think you need that skill slot for them, though the rune effects add nice stuff, but you can always get some dogs from other rune-effects or from that passive skill. They still are a nice to have skill. Wether you use them or not depends on your preferences, but I think a witchdoctor without dogs could be better off playing wizard. Just kidding: witch doctor > all! :hehe:
    Zombie Dogs with Indigo is too powerful to ignore, period.
    is very great for pve!
    The zombie dogs makes the minions hit the dogs instead of you.
    Meanwhile u can nuke down the minions!

Is Very Very Very good for pvp with the right skill rune!
    rank 1. 40% of the damage u take is passed to the dogs.
    i will be freaking epic in higher ranks!
    I think most of us agree that zombie dogs seem very very powerfull in both pvp and pve.

They tank very well and do low damage for a very long duration.
    I think about 60% of all WD builds has zombie dogs
    Aren't we all monsters inside?
    I see zombie dogs as an essential ability for the WD, and i'm in no doubt i will use them. Especially in the higher levels in NM+ i think they will be extremely important with the right build. I would assume that Blizz will make zombie dogs usefull in high level, can't see them get underpowered and get useless, i don't think they want that to happen with any skill really. I think they are going to be awesome and very important, especially when runed.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes