INVIS's Monk End Game [Speed Palm Build] for High MP

Quote from invis

Quote from JKlimek

Makes me want to make a monk for ubers, that's sick! I bet this works really really well in a group too

Exploding Palm doesn't scale in group, so even if you are in a 4 man group, you are only going to do solo explosion damage.

:(

So if you're in a four man group (3 x 70% HP bonus) this doesn't add up to enough additional damage to make it worth it?
    Quote from JKlimek

:(

So if you're in a four man group (3 x 70% HP bonus) this doesn't add up to enough additional damage to make it worth it?

Well you still do an insane amount of damage...
    I swapped from Tempest to this after seeing your post, its a nice build, but it sure takes some practice to get all skills used in the right order :S
    This is where I would put my signature..
    Great stuff and very well explained and commented, it's INVIS! :Thumbs Up:
    Thx for the guide. Im using a build close to this but after seeing this i picked up Exploding Palm right away and has made a big difference on elite packs.
    OP update with exploding palm group explanation
    When did you last test +bonus % to elite with EP? Because when I tested it in 1.0.6 I'm 100% sure that bonus to elites % did absolutely nothing to exploding palm damage.

Edit: I accidentally a number.
    Quote from soulshard

When did you last test +bonus % to elite with EP? Because when I tested it in 1.0.6 I'm 100% sure that bonus to elites % did absolutely nothing to exploding palm damage.

I tested in patch 1.05 actually and the result has always been the same in patch 1.06 and patch 1.07. The numbers always add up. So I am 100% sure SOJ bonus against elite is one of the many ways to buff exploding palm explosive damage.
    Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

I tested in patch 1.05 actually and the result has always been the same in patch 1.06 and patch 1.07. The numbers always add up. So I am 100% sure SOJ bonus against elite is one of the many ways to buff exploding palm explosive damage.

Well, my results contradict yours. Will re-check later.
    Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Please re-check and share the result back, I am 200% sure SOJ bonus elite increase the exploding palm explosive damage. Make sure you test it on elite of course :)
    Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Please re-check and share the result back, I am 200% sure SOJ bonus elite increase the exploding palm explosive damage. Make sure you test it on elite of course :)

I just re-checked, and I was right. Bonus damage to elites does _NOT_ increase exploding palm explosion damage. Please re-check on your end. (And keep in mind that when you calculate the expected damage of the explosion, different mobs in the same elite group have different amounts of HP.)

In addition to just testing the % bonus to elite damage affix, I also tested with an "Increases exploding palm damage by 10%" SOJ (which I already know only applies to the bleed part of EP, but thought I'd re-check it just for due diligence.)
    Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

I just re-checked, and I was right. Bonus damage to elites does _NOT_ increase exploding palm explosion damage. Please re-check on your end. (And keep in mind that when you calculate the expected damage of the explosion, different mobs in the same elite group have different amounts of HP.)

In addition to just testing the % bonus to elite damage affix, I also tested with an "Increases exploding palm damage by 10%" SOJ (which I already know only applies to the bleed part of EP, but thought I'd re-check it just for due diligence.)

I don't know how you perform your test, but the easiest way to test this is by going to Uber Ghom/Rakka fight, only 2 target there and HP is large enough for you to see the difference. If what you are saying is correct, that SOJ doesn't increase exploding palm damage, then how am I able to kill Ghom by exploding Rakka, as you can see, the explosive damage I did there was over Rakka's HP, he has 166m, but i did 172m explosive damage there. The calculation is pretty simple and I did all that test on these 2 bosses, without SOJ, I couldn't one shot Ghom, but with SOJ, i can.

50% (exploding damage) * 1.3 (SOJ 30%) * 1.48 (Moc) * 1.12 (Flesh is weak), you get 107.744% explosive damage, that's why I was doing that much explosive damage.

I can also tell you for normal farm, blue elite with SOJ and without SOJ explosive damage is very noticeable, without SOJ, you need to put exploding palm on all target for that additional 12% and sometimes you kill them by explosive sometimes you don't. With SOJ, you just need to put 1 exploding palm then the explosive will take out the entire pack 100%. (This information I will update on OP post soon).

Please share the method you test the SOJ to explosive, try to take some screen shot and take down the explosive numbers and see if your theory adds up.
    Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

I don't know how you perform your test, but the easiest way to test this is by going to Uber Ghom/Rakka fight, only 2 target there and HP is large enough for you to see the difference. If what you are saying is correct, that SOJ doesn't increase exploding palm damage, then how am I able to kill Ghom by exploding Rakka, as you can see, the explosive damage I did there was over Rakka's HP, he has 166m, but i did 172m explosive damage there. The calculation is pretty simple and I did all that test on these 2 bosses, without SOJ, I couldn't one shot Ghom, but with SOJ, i can.

50% (exploding damage) * 1.3 (SOJ 30%) * 1.48 (Moc) * 1.12 (Flesh is weak), you get 107.744% explosive damage, that's why I was doing that much explosive damage.

I can also tell you for normal farm, blue elite with SOJ and without SOJ explosive damage is very noticeable, without SOJ, you need to put exploding palm on all target for that additional 12% and sometimes you kill them by explosive sometimes you don't. With SOJ, you just need to put 1 exploding palm then the explosive will take out the entire pack 100%. (This information I will update on OP post soon).

Please share the method you test the SOJ to explosive, try to take some screen shot and take down the explosive numbers and see if your theory adds up.

With video recording software running I simply unequipped 1 ring (leaving the slot open), had my mantra off, all buffs off and let a mob die from the bleed effect, then I equipped the SOJ and put up another EP on one of the remaining elites (from the same elite pack). After this I simply played back the video in slow motion, noted the max mob HP * 0.5 to get the expected EP explosion damage and compared to the actual damage text of the explosion. There's no way I made a mistake, I have re-checked several times. I'm absolutely and utterly 100% sure that SOJ does not increase EP damage vs elite mobs. I have not tested it vs uber bosses so that might be an exception (but I highly doubt it).
    I could just encode the video and upload it so you can see, but I don't see the point, just start up your stream and do what I just described to confirm for yourself, that way you can also get rid of any doubts of me doing something wrong in the testing. :)
    Ok, screw it, I got bored and spent a bit of time getting a few screenshots/encoding the video.

Here are some screenshots with paused images from the video, just to make it easier for people to see. I'm also linking the source video in case you want to double check everything yourself.

Look at the images in this order:

http://download.local.se/pic/no_soj_no_buffs_expected_exploding_palm_damage.png
    http://download.local.se/pic/no_soj_no_buffs_actual_exploding_palm_damage.png

http://download.local.se/pic/equipping_soj.png

http://download.local.se/pic/soj_EQUIPPED_no_buffs_expected_exploding_palm_damage.png
    http://download.local.se/pic/soj_EQUIPPED_no_buffs_actual_exploding_palm_damage.png

video: http://download.local.se/pic/video.avi

Sorry if you'd rather have me upload to youtube/imgur or something, but I really CBA so I just used my own webserver to host it. :)
    So as you can see, unless I've made some hilarious oversight (and I'm sure you people will point it out if you can think of any mistakes ^^), this should be conclusive proof that EP does not gain extra damage from bonus to elite % damage from gear.

I have also done the same test with mantra of conviction, and that DOES increase EP damage by the expected 48%.

I intentionally didn't use the exploding palm rune that increases mob damage taken by 12% just to cut out another variable, and while I haven't tested it, I do expect that the debuff WILL increase EP damage.
    Quote from soulshard

So as you can see, unless I've made some hilarious oversight (and I'm sure you people will point it out if you can think of any mistakes ^^), this should be conclusive proof that EP does not gain extra damage from bonus to elite % damage from gear.

I have also done the same test with mantra of conviction, and that DOES increase EP damage by the expected 48%.

I intentionally didn't use the exploding palm rune that increases mob damage taken by 12% just to cut out another variable, and while I haven't tested it, I do expect that the debuff WILL increase EP damage.

What rune on are you using on the exploding palm? Essence Burn doesn't trigger explosive as stated in the guide. Are you using that one?
    Quote from soulshard

You might want to try on Ubers too, since you are on mp0 and it's difficult to see whether you are hitting the elite at the end of the trash, I am sure you will get the same result if you do ubers on any MP, equip yourself with rare ring and soj and compare the explosive numbers
    Quote from invis

Quote from soulshard

You might want to try on Ubers too, since you are on mp0 and it's difficult to see whether you are hitting the elite at the end of the trash, I am sure you will get the same result if you do ubers on any MP, equip yourself with rare ring and soj and compare the explosive numbers

As I said earlier the reason I wasn't using the "The Flesh is Weak" rune is to cut out another variable (the 12% increased damage taken does work on the EP explosion), I was using the strong spirit rune in the video/screenshots above simply to make it easier for myself testing this, last time I tested this (in 1.0.6) I tried with all runes.

The reason I was on mp0 was to make it easier to let the exploding palm bleed actually kill the mob by itself, to make it easier to see what's happening. If you really really want I can do the same for ubers, and I get why you'd want to confirm, but at this point if bonus damage to elites works only in ubers but not on elite packs, that would most likely be a bug (and is highly unlikely). I will update again after I've had time to actually test it.

Meanwhile, why don't you do your own testing to either confirm or deny my findings so we can finally get some confirmation in here for everyone who I'm sure are curious. :)
    Btw I have to ask, did you even check out the video/screenshots? If you did I don't see how you can think I had the Essence Burn rune on. >.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes