Tempest Rushing: The right way.

Sell,

Sorry for the delay on this. Here is my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Polrayne-1173/hero/22253075

Explanation for the deviation of your build - FoT I am so used to the speed of it, that its hard to use Deadly Reach and the slowness of it to hit mobs quickly. I have 10.1 or so regen and I've noticed that I need to every now and then destroy a few mobs using a spirit generator attack to keep the Spirit Pool up. Using DR was so slow - both in its attack and animation, which proved to be too long standing in molten/plagued with the low resistances that I have. But 18% dps increase is a generous amount, so I will try to work it in.

I like Firestorm on SW - the extra range makes it feel like I have to turn around less and run through mobs again to get the blow up payoff. I'm running on MP1 and generally only half of a mob pack dies on the first pass, I usually have to spin around in a circle once or use FoT to drop the straglers.

I was experimenting with Breath of Heaven when I logged out - but I'm using Blinding Flash and assuming that the snap-shot for SW still takes Blinding Flash into account.

Question: you said in another post that the key for the four piece Inna's was the low Spirit cost for SW. So you can refresh it rather than reapply it. I thought that if you have SW up, taking advantage of the snapshot of your buffs and then you cast SW again or refresh it, it defaults back to its basic damage - or current snapshot of your dps at the time you cast it. So wouldn't that negate the increase dps snapshot of using Blinding Flash first when you cast it?

Gear wise, I'd ultimately like the gloves and ammy to be switched out for All Resistance. But that's probably not going to happen before I hit PL100.

Which leads me to another thought - once PL100 is reached, do I keep farming on MP1 using TR build or go back to cookie-cutter SW build, with Dual-Wield and raise to MP5 or higher? Thats my current debate that I clearly have some time to think over before I have to decide :)

Thanks for your input Sell!
    Quote from Polrayne

Sell,

Sorry for the delay on this. Here is my profile: http://us.battle.net...3/hero/22253075

Explanation for the deviation of your build - FoT I am so used to the speed of it, that its hard to use Deadly Reach and the slowness of it to hit mobs quickly. I have 10.1 or so regen and I've noticed that I need to every now and then destroy a few mobs using a spirit generator attack to keep the Spirit Pool up. Using DR was so slow - both in its attack and animation, which proved to be too long standing in molten/plagued with the low resistances that I have. But 18% dps increase is a generous amount, so I will try to work it in.

Yup as you suspect when you get to a point where you don't have to stop to gain some Spirit you'll only be using a spirit generator to buff your damage, you'll get there with a nice Stone of Jordan with 2.25 regen. Don't worry too much about the loss of crit as you have enough and that % elemental damage is good. You'll have more wiggle room with your passives after getting a ring and may get to swap to Overawe. Careful with your resists though you are playing riskier than me :P Its all about the risk/reward thing there.

Quote from Polrayne
    I like Firestorm on SW - the extra range makes it feel like I have to turn around less and run through mobs again to get the blow up payoff. I'm running on MP1 and generally only half of a mob pack dies on the first pass, I usually have to spin around in a circle once or use FoT to drop the straglers.

I primarily run in MP0 for exp/gear farming. Your mileage may vary depending on DPS and MP. Even crazy dps TR monks have to turn around on MP1. Just remember sometimes that turning for that one mob may not outweigh continuing on to the next FAT pack of mobs. The reality is this post was to educate people on what they should be aiming for, and adjustments like using firestorm and shifting spirit around are simply personal adjustments to build upon the basics, which is not a bad thing.

Quote from Polrayne
    I was experimenting with Breath of Heaven when I logged out - but I'm using Blinding Flash and assuming that the snap-shot for SW still takes Blinding Flash into account.

That is correct, so use Blind: Faith in the Light over Breath of Heaven: Balzing Wrath when you have the choice.

Quote from Polrayne
    Question: you said in another post that the key for the four piece Inna's was the low Spirit cost for SW. So you can refresh it rather than reapply it. I thought that if you have SW up, taking advantage of the snapshot of your buffs and then you cast SW again or refresh it, it defaults back to its basic damage - or current snapshot of your dps at the time you cast it. So wouldn't that negate the increase dps snapshot of using Blinding Flash first when you cast it?

Refreshing Sweeping Winds will continue the initial cast with your increased snapshot damage. It treats it just as if you've hit a mob with a normal melee [non-crit] attack. This is why some people like to swap out Skorn for other weapons after the initial cast [see the new section at the end of the guide for details]

Quote from Polrayne
    Gear wise, I'd ultimately like the gloves and ammy to be switched out for All Resistance. But that's probably not going to happen before I hit PL100.

Which leads me to another thought - once PL100 is reached, do I keep farming on MP1 using TR build or go back to cookie-cutter SW build, with Dual-Wield and raise to MP5 or higher? Thats my current debate that I clearly have some time to think over before I have to decide :)

Thanks for your input Sell!

I don't even know what to do at MP100 and I am in no great rush to get there. The reason I am using this build is simply to get the most out of my time put in. MP100 is a long ways away for me :D
    fuck armory like that... updated at certain time, not when I logged out :/
    Quote from MrBlaine

fuck armory like that... updated at certain time, not when I logged out :/

Yes is can be a bitch >__

Updated the post with a section for gear swapping and an explanation of Elemental Damage Bonus and Adds x% to [element] Damage. Which will help some people that think a particular element on the Stone of Jordan is better than another, which is false.
    a few notes..
    1. You need 300+ res to drop OWE for mp0/1 that is without LS/LoH
    2. You need around 80k DPS.. that way you kill mobs with 2 runs
    3. Submission>Owerawe..Yes, it might seems as owerawe does more dmg, but cos the skill has a range of 20 Submission does dmg to the mobs for a longer time.
    4.You can actually drop Fleet Footed if you feel like you move too fast over mobs and they dun always die, Use another spirit renegation skill to improve to permanent TR.
    Oh and ppl wonder about exp/hour.. It depends very much on your DPS.. can be from 40m/h up to 100m+/h

Also i know a monk who makes MP1 look like MP0...
    http://www.twitch.tv/invisuk

have a look at it.. he can use any build and he has probably tested out 99% of the build live, so he really knows what is the most efficiant way to farm low MP and high MP.
    Invis is a great resource and where I got all my info from on TR for the most part.

Also there are some more things I have to add about sweeping winds behavior on snapshot when I get the chance
    You are hilarious. Can we be friends?

No sarcasm there. I'm serious. I find you informative and humorous, which is what a lot of people lack. I generally try to write here without putting in too much humor fearing that things will get misinterpreted and initiate a flame war.

But you did a good job here. I actually might pick up a SoJ and Skorn one day to level up my monk (after I get my wizard to 100).
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Very Interesting. I dropped my lifesteal skorn and changed a few items for more DPS.

The ring spot is a tough go. My as% DPS ring is roughly equal to 24% mantra plus some survivability, SoJ is cold damage and 12% SW though..., Leoric takes care of pu radius and adds XP though but the dps loss sometmmes requires 2 passes through enemies.
    don't you have a hellfire ring?
    Quote from manaja

don't you have a hellfire ring?

Of course. It's the other slot that's questionable. Either a DPS ring or leoric with mantra healing, or a SoJ with conviction.

In my testing I found it quickest with a DPS ring. Would be nice to drop attack speed for OWE though.
    A general reply to some of the responses in the thread - pertaining to OWE, I'm not using it and I find that I really don't have a problem at all. Maybe reflects damage, but not much is going to help with that unless you have LoH/LS and are not using a Skorn with the bleed effect.

I'm also running with resistances in the high 200.

Question about Deadly Reach/Foresight rune - the 18% increased dmg buff, does that factor into the snapshot of Sweeping Winds?
    Regarding your question: yes, I believe it does!
    Quote from maka

Regarding your question: yes, I believe it does!

Thanks Maka!
    Thanks for writing this guide. I've been waiting to make a TR monk for quite some time but wasn't sure how I should itemize.

I made one for a little less than 12m so not too bad.

I did have a question regarding reflect dmg however, as I keep dying to them, particularly when they have Horde.
    Any tips? I've tried single targeting them down but with deadly reach it goes through and I end up either getting killed or killing myself.

I rly like using a wave of light build w/ mantra of healing circular breathing but i've also tried the suggested overawe with SSS. In either case I keep nuking myself. I have 0 LOH/LS so I'm not sure how you guys avoid dying especially with the skorn bleed ticking u to death.

I don't think my profiles been updated yet but I have 280ish res and 43k hp.
    gothamknight#1650
    Ill add you in game since I'm on atm and peek at your current profile.
    edit: Ignore me, I was being blind.

Got any vids of this?
    My monk Vin
    where is the link to this video?
    Interesting read. I have been running around in tr build for some time now and I really love it. The build I use is a bit different tho. I only got spirit regen on my helm and use MoH. My dps in tr gear is 170k unbuffed however I dont feel like this is sufficent and been thinking about how to be able to kill whites without going back all the time. MoC sounds interesting but I never liked the idea of swaping my nat ring for soj(I am leaving the hellfire ring on for sure). But seeing how people positively respond to your guide I think I will give it a try. Also while I am aware of the fact that ias increases the spirit spent with my current setup I have 15 spirit regen which is enough. But you mentioned about ias not affecting the dmg in this build. Does it not change how often our SW ticks? Loads of my dmg comes from ias and if this is the case then I would give the soj n MoC setup a chance and probably also swap ias on my trifecta gloves and amu for more base dmg which I guess would not only lower the spirit cost but also increase the chance of killing the whites without the need of running back. Another thing that is on my mind after this read: is snapshoted SW affected by buffs casted while the SW is on?
    I'm still having issues with reflect dmg hordes. Theres just too many of them and I can't nuke them with one SSS. Do you guys think a 1000 LOH ammy would be beneficial? Or would a lifesteal skorn be the only way to survive a BELL drop
    A video post probably will not happen from me, but you can get a general feel for the build here: http://www.twitch.tv/invisuk/b/343166177 with Invis using Firestorm.

Quote from Crensh

Interesting read. I have been running around in tr build for some time now and I really love it. The build I use is a bit different tho. I only got spirit regen on my helm and use MoH. My dps in tr gear is 170k unbuffed however I dont feel like this is sufficent and been thinking about how to be able to kill whites without going back all the time. MoC sounds interesting but I never liked the idea of swaping my nat ring for soj(I am leaving the hellfire ring on for sure). But seeing how people positively respond to your guide I think I will give it a try. Also while I am aware of the fact that ias increases the spirit spent with my current setup I have 15 spirit regen which is enough. But you mentioned about ias not affecting the dmg in this build. Does it not change how often our SW ticks? Loads of my dmg comes from ias and if this is the case then I would give the soj n MoC setup a chance and probably also swap ias on my trifecta gloves and amu for more base dmg which I guess would not only lower the spirit cost but also increase the chance of killing the whites without the need of running back. Another thing that is on my mind after this read: is snapshoted SW affected by buffs casted while the SW is on?

The only things that affect SW after snapshot as far as I know are attack speed and crit % based on a post I have to dig up from the wow forums. This is on my To Do list.

Quote from gothamknight

I'm still having issues with reflect dmg hordes. Theres just too many of them and I can't nuke them with one SSS. Do you guys think a 1000 LOH ammy would be beneficial? Or would a lifesteal skorn be the only way to survive a BELL drop

Either try running through them with TR over and over or isolating, but no do not drop a bell on them. If reflect damage becomes a major issue for you, then you'll have to dump cash on a Lifesteal Skorn or more HP/resist.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes