Tempest Rush in 1.0.7

The damage is getting buffed, dont know how it will affect the farmingspeed for monks cause of the nerf of snapshotting from buffs, but what i don´t understand is the scaling of the spiritcost when you have items with attackspeed. WW´s cost was based on attackspeed, but got fixed.

Is there any logical explanation why the spiritcost is calculated from our attackspeed?
    It's my understanding that as long as you didn't abuse the snapshotting mechanic by swapping gear, Tempest Rushing should be strictly better when compared to 1.06.

The logic behind TR's spirit cost scaling with attack speed is that TR "ticks" more often with more AS. If I had to guess at the devs' intent, I'd say they want to discourage high attack speed builds from using TR.

I wouldn't really call it a problem though, because with the removal of snapshotting, I can't see any weapon other than Skorn being used in a dedicated TR build. It just means you want to avoid AS on gear (with the exception of Inna's Temperance, due to the practically mandatory 4-piece bonus) when you do a TR build.
    Quote from Kring

Is there any logical explanation why the spiritcost is calculated from our attackspeed?

You've got it assbackwards.
    Attackspeed doesn't increase spirit cost.
    The spiritcost is ALWAYS 10spirit per attack.
    Increasing your AttackSpeed increases the number of times per second you attack, and thus have to pay the attack cost more frequently, resulting in more spirit used.

That is all intended mechanics. Nothing buggy or broken there.

1.0.7, like said before me, will be a buff to TR farming, unless you abused snapshotting.
    If you only used Blinding Flash as a snapshot buff, you will come out even or small buff to Sweeping Wind. If you also used gearswap, you will be nerfed to shit.
    As far as TR directly goes, its getting an almost double damage increase. (85 -> 155). This will definitely make the TR ability slightly more powerful and used more directly for damage rather than just being the Tailwind rune to get you where you need to be.

All that put together, it will make TR farming a LOT more viable for higher mp farming, and possibly even ubers - like Barb WW is.
    With the upgraded dmg of TR, LifeSteal becomes a factor and finally worth using for TR builds.

All in all: The changes is really good for Monks who didn't abuse snapshot.
    The only part left to figure out is whether 7SS would still be a good EliteKiller, or if Bells might fit that better now.
    Quote from wheunis

You've got it assbackwards.
    Attackspeed doesn't increase spirit cost.
    The spiritcost is ALWAYS 10spirit per attack.
    Increasing your AttackSpeed increases the number of times per second you attack, and thus have to pay the attack cost more frequently, resulting in more spirit used.

That is all intended mechanics. Nothing buggy or broken there.

Thanks for clarifying, but i´m under the impression that other skills, like the before mentioned WW, also ticks more often when attackspeed is increased, but still the cost is the same. I just don´t see why there should be any difference - im not complaining or anything, getting the spiritregen which is needed for the build is easy, i just don´t get why two abilities, which are that related uses two different mechanics.
    Quote from Kring

Thanks for clarifying, but i´m under the impression that other skills, like the before mentioned WW, also ticks more often when attackspeed is increased, but still the cost is the same. I just don´t see why there should be any difference - im not complaining or anything, getting the spiritregen which is needed for the build is easy, i just don´t get why two abilities, which are that related uses two different mechanics.

They use different mechanics because the mechanics are different.
    Lets get this out of the way first.
    WW and TR is exactly the same.
    WW uses X fury per attack. TR uses X spirit per attack.
    More AS results in more attacks per time-period, thus more resources spent in same time.

Take a barb, give him a shitty slow 2h weapon. Stand in town with a stopwatch. Hold down WW and see how long until you run dry.
    Give same barb 2x 1h - repeat test. Fury is spent faster due to higher attackspeed.
    Same results will come from Monk.
    Same results will come from DH Strafe.
    Same results come from Wiz arcaneballz.

The difference between the above, is that each uses a different resource, which regenerates differently.
    That's why a properly geared monk will look like he never uses or gains any spirit, the globe just stays at one spot.
    A Barb on the other hand will flood from full to empty and back again as much as twice every 5s period, because their regen is based solely on whether or not they hit things.
    Etc.

You gotta remember though, both WW and TR are resource SPENDERS, but the Barb itself has different mechanics in resource generation, that causes ANY attack to become a resource generator, even if they have a resource cost.
    Monks do not have that, we generate resource only from gear, or from certain attacks. Spenders for a monk are purely that - spenders. Doesnt matter if we hit 20 targets, 2 targets, or 0 targets.

Any of this clarifying the issue yet?
    From what I have tried on the PTR, the new Tempest Rush allows you to turn monster power up about 1 level as compared to what you are able to farm now, with about the same killspeed (disregarding defenses). I thought of using Bell or Kick as elite killers as well, but it didn't work out as well for me. The no cooldown thing is nice and the damage is decent, but you need a lot more spirit (even when using the reduced cost rune) , which you usually cannot afford for a pure TR build, where your regeneration is the same or only slightly higher than your channeling costs. Also you get issues with reflect packs if you use no lifesteal like me (tbh, I just ignore the timed reflect for now and just blow them to pieces with SSS like before).

Also, from what I gathered, skill snapshotting still seems to work, just when you swap gear, it will update. So casting Blind and then SW will still get you an improved snapshot. Can anyone confirm that?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes