Good thread for PVP monks

Copied from r/Diablo3Strategy

(PSA: Easiest way to find people to duel is go to a public game on the Act 1: Imprisoned Angel quest and go to the Inn)

Been dueling a lot the last two days. The first problem I realized is Spirit generator's are pretty much useless. It is to hard to hit someone multiple times to generate enough spirit to use something else. Spirit Regen is your only option. I got spirit regen on my helm and a SOJ ring.

This is the build I am running with a 100K dps monk.

You really need a good 2H for this build. Helps with the Spirit Regen with the passive The Guardian's Path. A Skorn is the obvious choice. I tried LOH, LS, and Life Regen. Life Regen is the only useful one but not even that much.

Offense
    • Lashing Tail Kick - Hand of Ytar: I personally use 9 reduced cost gear but I think it is useful even without it. It is really the only long range attack a monk has. I can one-shot a lot of weaker classes on crits. The slow helps also. You need to practice it though. It will not go over walls or obstructions. Need a straight line of sight to use. Has medium range but every other class has a longer reaching ranged attack.
    • Wave of Light: Empowered Wave. Does great dmg and has knockback which is more useful in PvP. Does dmg through walls also which can come in handy. Will one shot pretty much all lower classes with pretty much only monks and barbs being able to take it. Other runes not worth the additional spirit cost.
    • 7 Sided Strike - Sudden Assault: Most powerful attack and will kill pretty much everything. Teleport or Stun rune useful. The key to the attack is using at the right time. First make sure you have line of sight and in range to use. Sudden Assault has good range but if your enemy runs behind a wall you are shit out of luck. Barbs can be tough as hell to kill when low on HP cause of Relentless. Makes a good nail in the coffin. The Stun rune is most useful against Barbs that have no way to break the CC.
    Defense
    • Mantra of Healing: Circular Breathing: Your main spirit regen and a must. Gives you some Life Regen and can be spammed as worst case scenario for 1000HP shields. Really only useful when you are getting Haunted and Rended while you are running away. You should use it as soon as you spawn to start the regen.
    • Serenity - Peaceful Respose: I choose Peaceful Respose over Ascension because the 7000+HP is more useful than 1 more sec. You mostly use Serenity anyway to break CC's. Tried Instant Karma but never saw it reflect anything.
    • Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath: Serves two purpose. 15% dmg increase and another way to generate 7000+ hp. I normally wait till I am near full Spirit or have lost life to pop for the first time in a battle. I don't pop Manta + Breath right off the bat. Will be in immediate spirit hole and leave you vulnerable.
    Passives
    One with Everything - Pretty much had to use this because I don't have enough res without it.

The Guardian's Path/Chant of Resonance - Pick the one that boosts your Spirit the most. Varies by gear

Beacon of Ytar: 20% reduce cool downs is nice to get 7 side strike and Serenity back quickly as possible. Also useful is Pacifism if you are getting stun locked a lot. Near Death Experience: Works great when you are getting one or two shotted. Terrible against Rend and Haunt since even after you die and come back they are still draining life.

Strategy

Just want to share a couple tricks I learned. First, Don't pop Serenity unless you really need it. You will be surprised how often you use it when you really didn't. Which brings me to my second point. Wait for enemies to waste their CC break or Dmg reduce skill.

DH's: Smoke screen with most opting for 1.5s version. The key is timing with them. Wait for them to use it. As soon as they reappear use SSS to kill them. When they pop SS hug walls to avoid getting one-shot.

Wizards: Easiest to kill by far. Mirror Images is their only real defense. Any time you see them without it engaged a SSS is an insta kill. Most times an up close Bell will also kill them.

Witch Doctors: Most rely on Spirit Walk: Jaunt to break CC's and escape. You can either wait the 3 seconds and kill them once they reappear or Bell the remaining body to make them reappear. Depends on your current spirit level. Spirit Walk has a cooldown of 13s with Spirit Vessel. They are very vulnerable once they use it and on cool down for it.

Monks: Monk vs Monk fights are kind of funny. Ton's of dodge, serenity, and SSS. Notice a lot of Monk's pop Serenity than use SSS. If you notice this also your best move is to pop Serenity yourself but don't attack. Let them waste their SSS. As soon as your Serenity is done so is theirs. Use SSS or Bells for the kill.

Barbs: They have no real CC breaker outside of WOTB. If you see WOTB always just run away. Best to avoid them for 15s or lead them at least to someone else to kill. The main skill Barb's have is dmg reduction. The Relentless passive makes it hard to put down a 1H+Shield barb. If you see an aura of shields around them it means they have Ignore Pain up. Unless you have over 200K dps I run away till it goes away.

Conclusion

I am personally loving dueling so far in the PTR. With my only real complaints are that I can't kill Sentries or Hydra's. People set them up on spawn points which is a dick move imo. Storm Armor is ridiculous in the fact it goes over barriers, has auto attack and auto aim. Haunt and Rend can't be dodged for some reason. They are the 2 most difficult spells for me personally. I would like to see them be able to dodged and I think they should go away if you kill the person that delivered them.

Despite what I have heard all around I have not really seen any class dominant above all. I went against two legacy Nat DH's with 200K dps. Even then I didn't feel like I was getting dominated. Makes you more patient and wait till the right time to attack. You are running away a lot more than you think you would.
    Do i suck or monks get owned 75% of time when Serenity is on cooldown?
    Does Mantra of Retribution do anything in PvP?
    sto lavorando
    Quote from Ezkaton

Do i suck or monks get owned 75% of time when Serenity is on cooldown?

I've been using the same build after I read about it and bells + LTK - Hand of ytar rocks. Without serenity.

Does Mantra of Retribution do anything in PvP?

It does nearly nothing MoH is the way to go.
    Yes, Mantra of Retribution is shit. I've been testing it whole evening and I think it's broken or the amount of reflected damage is lowered (like Lifesteal) :/ With rune "Retaliation" it should reflect 60% bothmelee and ranged damage - so actually Dh (while not in SS) should die, by just attacking me (Impale - 70k crits - easy to count 70*0.6 = 42), I saw DH was NOT damaged at all.

TBH Dashing Strike(the stun one) + Wave of Light or LTK: Hand of Ytar,(both with MAXIMUM spirit generation + serenity up) is the only way to go. And you also have to pray, so they not dodge your next attack.
    Quote from Ezkaton

Yes, Mantra of Retribution is shit. I've been testing it whole evening and I think it's broken or the amount of reflected damage is lowered (like Lifesteal) :/ With rune "Retaliation" it should reflect 60% bothmelee and ranged damage - so actually Dh (while not in SS) should die, by just attacking me (Impale - 70k crits - easy to count 70*0.6 = 42), I saw DH was NOT damaged at all.

This calculation is kinda wrong. MoR reflects the damage sustained, meaning after all reduction is done. I've already tested it against monsters. So if you've got lots of mitigation MoR is 100% useless. I was hoping with all the 1-hit-KOs going about it would at least always get you a double-KO.
    sto lavorando
    Quote from inkcheese

Quote from Ezkaton

This calculation is kinda wrong. MoR reflects the damage sustained, meaning after all reduction is done. I've already tested it against monsters. So if you've got lots of mitigation MoR is 100% useless. I was hoping with all the 1-hit-KOs going about it would at least always get you a double-KO.

It won't give double-KO :c
    Quote from Ezkaton

It won't give double-KO :c

If that's the case they should just replace this Mantra because it's useless in both PvE AND PvP.
    sto lavorando
    Nicely Done KIlo. I use a similar skills setup but concentrate on stun in my build. That and I rely solely on life regen for sustainability; which has been a pleasant surprise to be honest.

Heres my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Edward-1570/hero/3500216

I generally run with this skill setup: http://imgur.com/xbTMrOn

but will change it around from time to time. My gear remains constant though. This build / gear setup is basically a pet project but it has proven to be pretty fun and usable.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes