TryHard: Monk 1.0.5 Guide

Here's the long overdue Monk 1.0.5 Guide! It covers a few different specs, how to gear your Monk correctly and some 1.0.5 discussion! Hopefully you find the guide useful! If you have any questions don't hesitate to bring them up here :)

Video Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUng5yHwug8&feature=plcp
    Would your recommendations stay the same for Hardcore? If not, what general gear/spec would you suggest?
    On the guide:
    Mantra of Healing sucks, period. It's 310 life per second, that won't make or break your play. Those 20% added resist can't compete with spamming Mantra of Evasion - it's only interesting if you just getting started and really have zero form of life replenishment of any sorts.

On TR build: sweeping wind snapshots your dps, no reason to use heal over blind especially after the crowd control changes. Blind is ready for every other pack allowing you to have them being locked down for a long time (blind, serenity, *wait for it* blind). With OWE instead of that measily 2 spirit regen from chant of resonance you can play on higher monsterpower as well (as long as mobs still die almost instantly, depending on your dps. And the longer it takes you to down packs the less spirit regen you actually need because you can refill it considerably faster while fighting).

@stoosh
    For hardcore a shield isn't a bad idea (should have 20%+ block and high % crit chance on top of resist/dex/%life/vita) and i'd highly recommend a skill to escape getting cornered (eg: dashing strike, tempest rush). Basically you also can build an "invincible" char, just a truckload of life on hit (at least 2000), tons of resist/vita and ignore dps entirely. It's boring & tedious but it's working like a charm since they removed enrage timers (except for ubers & Belial).
    really nice guide
    Anyone have skorn build experience?
    Im trying to do some medium budget(up to 100m) 2h build with skorn 5,5+ll, 43-51%ias. I doubt that spirit generating will be enough, but DW are a little bit boring for me.
    @ballon:

Thanks for the ideas!

Im trying to do some medium budget(up to 100m) 2h build with skorn 5,5+ll, 43-51%ias. I doubt that spirit generating will be enough, but DW are a little bit boring for me.

I actually use a skorn myself with life steal. It's pretty nice no problems and I've been doing up to mp8.
    No problem guys! About Skorn, I realllyy hate using 2 handers so I haven't done much testing with it, next major class guide I'll get something going with 2 handers possibly though :)
    Like the guide!

I had a comment about Blind vs Deadly Reach + Foresight. I use both Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap and Deadly Reach + Foresight instead of the Fists of Thunder & Blind + Faith.

Initially I chose it because I don't like Teleporting straight into Desecrator or Molten grounds when using Fists of Thunder, in those cases it's much safer to use Deadly Reach.

However, I tried Combination Strike passive, and I think it works out way better with FoT + DR than FoT + Blind (if you don't need the defense from one of the passives). The reason is Combination Strike will give you 16% additional damage when you use 2 spirit generators, and combine that with DR+Foresight's 18% you get in total 34% additional damage with almost 100% uptime. Compare that to Blind's 30% damage with 3 sec uptime, and I think you have a clear winner. I dropped Resolve passive in favor of Combination Strike and I'm loving it.

Also you don't need to alternate the sprit generators every 3 seconds to get the 16% buff, you only need to use one of each at beginning to get the 16% buff, and as long as you use one of the spirit generators without pausing for 3 seconds, you keep the 16% buff.

I definitely have experience with a Monk / Skorn build. My battle tag is Striker#1683. When I dropped the Skorn I almost gave up on it because I was spirit starved all of the time. I switched to the inner storm rune for sweeping wind, bought an Inna's radiance that had high spirit regen, and switched ot the passive "the guardian's path". This nets me about 7.5 spririt per second once the wind is charged up.

Combine this with a 4 pieces of inna's set so sweeping wind only costs 5 spirit to recast and I am swimming in Spirit. And my DPS is about 50K higher than it would be if I tried to switch to Dual Wield weapons in the 50-100 million range. And Skorn looks really cool in the character launch screen.

Incidentally - I would focus on Crit dmg vs IAS. IAS is nice but I run with only 17% and don't feel like I'm missing much.
    First legendary guide is out tomorrow!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes