DW: Main Hand/Off Hand - what goes where and why?

I seem to see a lot of posts about certain affixes being better on your off-hand, etc. What goes where, and why/how does it make a difference?
    You just want your main hand to be the one with the highest damage numbers (not DPS). This is because spells are cast from avg weapon damage on your MH so they'll be more potent.

For offhand, people like fast weapons so less time is spent on that weapon whenever you alternate swings.
    Ive read here that for monks, both weapons are important. And also, if you use Echoing Fury, using a slow offhand is better cuz EF gives the bonus to both weapons. Search in this sub forum, theres a lot of information.
    Quote from Belzebuss

Ive read here that for monks, both weapons are important. And also, if you use Echoing Fury, using a slow offhand is better cuz EF gives the bonus to both weapons. Search in this sub forum, theres a lot of information.

That can't be right. If you equip an Echoing Fury which gives a set number of increased attack speed, this means that a faster weapon would gain a larger benefit than a slower one. Thus, I can't see why a slow offhand weapon would be an advantage in any way.
    Quote from Mortac

Quote from Belzebuss

That can't be right. If you equip an Echoing Fury which gives a set number of increased attack speed, this means that a faster weapon would gain a larger benefit than a slower one. Thus, I can't see why a slow offhand weapon would be an advantage in any way.

I fully agree with you.
    You may be able to get away with using a slower off hand if you use EF but i certainly wouldn't say its better.
    Especially not if your using LOH at all.
    LOH becomes better the faster you attack so no benefits to hit slower their.
    hi
    a lot of information is not true that was posted (i dont want to be unfriendly, but dont let it spread ;) )

offhand/mainhand:
    this does not exist for the skills monks use at the moment. ignore it!
    the general approach is a higher-dps weapon with maybe less stats because its more expensive and a bit lower offhand with a lot of stats. you obviously want 2 high-stats weapons with as much dps as you can afford (dps comes after stats, use a damage calculator for this =) ). this is for using your money effectively.

interesting though, is the "active weapon". you alternate between swinging your first and second weapon, which determines the damage you do with your next hit and is important for using your skills. (you can easily observe this by equiping 2 weapons with different attacks per second, hitting and watching your attacks per second on your character, the attacks shown are those of your next swing. this is your active weapon)
    so your active weapon is your "mainhand" for that swing.

this becomes important while using sweeping wind i.e.
    it will do damage based on your active weapon, so if you have a high-damage (not dps) weapon and a low dps weapon, you have to:
    a) watch your active weapon through the method i explained or
    B) hope it activates with the higher one

since it's unlikely that you want to open your character details every time you activate sweeping wind, dont get a really low dps "offhand".

that's the important knowledge on it... there's more. you can, by equipping a high-dps weapon to activate SW and then switching, get better damage-results but who wants to do that while playing... honestly ;)

to activate sweeping wind just do this: activate anything that boosts your damage (blinding flash, your heal, assuming you have the standard monk skills) and then turn it on while these 2 are active. it will do more damage the whole time its on - do this every time. (this is also true for weapons while activating, which is why you could swap a high-dps weapon in)

i hope i said everything that's important :)
    oh and on echoing fury:

you could argue 2 things: a slow weapon has higher damage but lower attackspeed and vice versa.
    1) if you boost the attacks per second on a high damage-slow-weapon, you will get a bit more dps out.
    2) if you boost a fast weapon, you can get higher attacks per second, which has benefits as well like more life on hit or faster teleporting and also higher spirit regen

that's for the facts.... in my opinion the two are roughly equivalent... just play what you like - i love fast paced monk-play, so i always go for high attackspeed, though i dont really have a lot of LoH

(another thing on sweeping wind, i forgot)
    if your sweeping wind is active, which is a lot of your dps, you can swap in a "healing weapon" with high life on hit and lifesteal and low dps. your sweeping wind will stay the same and you will heal a lot.
    this is for doing infernal-machines. they get a lot easier, if you do this. my weapon is 670 dps, 900+ loh, 500 loh-socket, 2.7% lifesteal for this. it's generally not expensive and awesome to have =)

hf
    But, HOW can a slow weapon possibly gain more benefit from a set increase in attack speed from the Echoing Fury? I don't see how this is happening. For example, increasing a weapon's speed of 1 second down to 0.75 seconds should yield a larger increase than decreasing 2 seconds to 1.75.

Or does this simply have to do with higher damage on weapons giving skills higher damage, since they take a percentage of the weapon's damage?
    Quote from Mortac

But, HOW can a slow weapon possibly gain more benefit from a set increase in attack speed from the Echoing Fury? I don't see how this is happening. For example, increasing a weapon's speed of 1 second down to 0.75 seconds should yield a larger increase than decreasing 2 seconds to 1.75.

Or does this simply have to do with higher damage on weapons giving skills higher damage, since they take a percentage of the weapon's damage?

Echoing Fury adds Attacks per Second not Attack Speed. So it actually works the other way around.

slow weapon 0.9 + 0.20 = 1.1 Attacks per Second => 22.22% increase
    fast weapon 1.4 + 0.20 = 1.6 Attacks per Second => 14.29% increase
    Aha! Thanks for clearing that up! I completely misinterpreted the way the bonus is applied.
    Wth?How can you argue something this much without knowing everything.Jesus...

Short story . Get good EF 1100+ dps and a good 950 ( very good stats ) or 1050+ dps with decent stats Spear/Mace/Axe and ure good to go.Monks need two good weapons because of how we alternate between attacks and how Cyclone works of off your active weapon when you cast it.So instead of constantly watching wich weapon is active before you activate just buy 2 good weapons.

Ofc this doesnt matter when it comes to farmin MP1-2 as everything melts w/e you do.But for higher MP you want to start your engagements with a buffed Blind + Best weapon active Sweeping wind.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes