How much HP does a monk need? ratio v.s. MP level

I'm keeping tweaking my HP level all the time, so that i won't be "one shotted" by monsters like that explosing kamikaze guys in the keeps, but how much HP do i at least to survive one incoming?

I play at MP3 and noticed that i at least need ~30k HP to survive to get "one shotted", but what is the minimum i need? and how will this be at MP4 etc?
    Does anyone have a clue to aim for?
    It depends on your Resists and Armor, really. My monk can survive a blast from those guys in MP4-5 with room to spare. I have 40k life, ~600 AR, and 5300 Armor. If you have a lot less than that, you're going to need a lot more health for the same result.
    it's not about the amount of HP but of EHP (effective HP) meaning a combination of HP, resistances, armor, dodge chance, life on hit+attack speed, life leach+dps and life regen.

meaning you must find in each MP the optimum between all of those so you can survive. you must calculate how much DPS you take from monsters, how much remains after is mitigated by the defense stats, and how much and how fast you can regain life through life on hit, life leach and life regen. After all that you can find out if you can survive in that MP or not. That is what you need. Not just a HP figure.
    and if you know all this and interested in HP breakpoint for being "one shot" then you still have the 2 variables: how much mitigation you have (resists, armor, dodge) and what monster hits you in order to find out the amount of unmitigated damage.
    But you still hit a bump - meaning i do not believe Blizz has posted anywhere the "one shot" damage of every monster - but the DPS of every monster. And you need the "one shot" damage. Else the analysis is about standing 1 second face to face with a monster and you just taking the hits.

and there are online calculators for all that :)
    Quote from aldrek

It depends on your Resists and Armor, really. My monk can survive a blast from those guys in MP4-5 with room to spare. I have 40k life, ~600 AR, and 5300 Armor. If you have a lot less than that, you're going to need a lot more health for the same result.
    i have around 30k ~515 AR and 4400 armor, so i need some "work" to do i guess, because DPS wise i wouldn't have a problem, guess i have to invest in some extra vit/armor and using some AR more, thanks for the info

@dexteriade:
    it's indeed finding out the optimum in each MP, some times the more DPS at the cost of survivability makes a MP level less efficient
    the EHP number stuff i don't really understand much of it, although i understand what your saying about the combination of factors involved
    The concept of EHP is rather simple. Essentially it measures how much incoming damage you can survive without any healing.

Assume a mob hits you for 100k each swing. Say you have 50% damage reduction from armor and 60% from resists. Then the damage you actually take is:
    100k * 0.5 * 0.4 = 20k
    Now if you had 40k health, you could (barely) survive two swings, so your "effective health" would be 200k. This is a bit simplified, but that's the idea behind EHP. You can check your unbuffed EHP by loading your character into diabloprogress.com

So, how much do you need? Honestly I don't know, it also depends on your regeneration and skills. But as a simple guideline, for farming:
    "Enough so that you never, ever, die"

PS: Also, for farming, unless you have DPS above 200k, higher than MP2 is not efficient. It might be more fun, so that's another factor, but in terms of efficiency, MP0-1 wins for most.
    My monk Vin
    the EHP concept is really important, but not the end of the line.
    one thought is really important, too: if you have more health to get your EHP, you will have a lot more to heal up. if you have more resists/armor to get your EHP, healing becomes much more effective.
    this really depends on your playstyle. if you want to farm on lower mp-levels, its fine just to have health to buffer the damage and heal through globes. if you are getting killed too fast (one/two-shot) you should probably add resistances, since your mitigation sucks ;)
    You should have enough EHP to survive one exploding maniac or molten explosion while being attacked for convenience.

You should have enough sustain to gain health against reflect damage.

You want maximum speed.

To take a guess.

Assume 30K HP and 400 resistance, 5k armor resistance at MP0. Increase HP by 10%, or resistance by 20% per MP increase. Or res/armor both by 10%?
    Quote from thundersteele

The concept of EHP is rather simple. Essentially it measures how much incoming damage you can survive without any healing.

Assume a mob hits you for 100k each swing. Say you have 50% damage reduction from armor and 60% from resists. Then the damage you actually take is:
    100k * 0.5 * 0.4 = 20k
    Now if you had 40k health, you could (barely) survive two swings, so your "effective health" would be 200k. This is a bit simplified, but that's the idea behind EHP. You can check your unbuffed EHP by loading your character into diabloprogress.com

So, how much do you need? Honestly I don't know, it also depends on your regeneration and skills. But as a simple guideline, for farming:
    "Enough so that you never, ever, die"

PS: Also, for farming, unless you have DPS above 200k, higher than MP2 is not efficient. It might be more fun, so that's another factor, but in terms of efficiency, MP0-1 wins for most.
    tnx for the explanation, got around ~95K DPS unbuffed and yeah i need a bit of a challenge to keep me on my guard and also having more fun farming then, so i use MP3 also for the extra loot drop chance. Trash mobs die in 1-2 hits and elites cost like 10-20 sec. or so, so the pace feels good. If i go farm on MP0/1 i will almost fall asleep, so that's not working well ;)

Just invested in some AR ~600 now, armor with seize ~4600 and ~35k HP now and it already feels more survivable
    I try to avoid going below 30k HP, 500 resist, 1500 LoH/3%LS, 4500 armor. Anything there on up is fine
    It is hard to say and we are not standing still to receive a hit from the Skeleton King right on the face to see what happens.

The test I have to see if my character is fit for the area is whether he could clear two packs of elites at the same time.

40k+ HP seems to be reasonale for most of the monks, and then we can work with other mitigation factors, AR, armor, dodge/block, LoH and LS etc. and a balanced setup seems to be the most efficient.
    I have been doing mp 6 with 530 resists and 25k life.. I could prob use some more lol. I try to rotate sss and serenity and not get hit by maniacs. I have a lot of dodge LOH and LS too
    I'm doing MP2 with 158k damage, 550 resist, 3.3k armor and 0 LoH/LS. It's pretty overrated even against reflect damage packs as everything dies in a serenity and SSS combo. Get some pickup radius and simply let health globes heal you up.
    I can do mp4 with 37k hp 570 ar 4.8k armor 3% life steal and 350 loh with 112k dps just fine. There must be a really nasty combo like molten, fire chain + something and for me to just stand in 1 place more than 5-6secs to actually start losing some hp
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes