Build for farming on MP0

Sens I started farming on mp0 for paragon levels I changed from the standard FoT/Cyclone build and started using master of wind rune and SSS (instead of blind).

With 34% ms and 82k dps (94k with enchantress and BoH) I'm clearing stuff pretty fast.

Do others have specific farming builds?
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acSYgk!ZbU!aZccYa

Some spirit regen from gear helps, some variations are possible as well (other spirit generating abilities/passives). I prefer running it on slightly higher monsterpower so i can regain my spent spirit between packs, mobs still die rather fast.
    us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Druin-1518/hero/2296

At MP0 you can expect things to die very quickly and so, with the right gear, you can actually do your damage with SW:Cyclone + Tempest Rush.

TR has a proc Coefficient of 0.25 which means, 1/4th of your Crits will spawn a cyclone. TR also hits faster the more attack speed you have. With my gear, I have ~1.26 attacks per second which means TR hits 1.26 times per second. This is helpful for spawning more Cyclones as well.

With this build, you essentially run through the monsters at max speed with infinite spirit and let Cyclone kill stuff behind you.

Note1: remember to cast ALL your DPS buffs before turning SW on because it locks them in place for the duration of the buff (which with 4 piece Inna's really should be forever!)

Note2: TR costs 10 spirit per second * your attacks per second. This means, with my gear, I have 1.26 attacks per second, and TR costs 12.6 spirit per second. With my gear I have ~11.5 spirit / sec gained so TR, in essence, costs 1 spirit per second. You should aim to have ~10x your Attacks Per Second in spirit / second for infinite tempest rush.

GL!

-Druin, the happy monk
    Your basic requirements are tempest rush, exalted soul, fleet footed. nothing else is "required".

4pc inna's. There's attack speed alternatives to all these pieces with more dps, you don't want attack speed. Cheap pickup radius pieces are gold, 4pc I consider mandatory at low difficulty.

one ring is hellfire, ideally without AS. Other is SoJ or Leoric's ideally if over-geared.

Helm should have spirit regen, XP gem

a 2H is one option, I carry a high dex / crit / tempest rush crit shield. Both ideally drop AS, shield helps offset no defensive talents.

Templar follower
    With a skorn, run Blind, Breath, MoC Submission, and SW Bladestorm. Keep up bladestorm. Walk through everything and watch as they die without even attacking them. Hit elites once and they die.

24% Movespeed on gear, fleet footed, tempest rush to go faster when you have spirit.
    Quote from Shatterbox

With a skorn, run Blind, Breath, MoC Submission, and SW Bladestorm. Keep up bladestorm. Walk through everything and watch as they die without even attacking them. Hit elites once and they die.

24% Movespeed on gear, fleet footed, tempest rush to go faster when you have spirit.

There is no situation in which MoC:Submission does more damage than Moc:Overawe. So I do not recommend using it.

Edit: This assumes you use SW to do AoE damage and that you use gear that promotes SW's damage which 99.99% of monks do.

There is also ALMOST no situation in which SW:Bladestorm does more DPS than SW:Cyclone. I also do not recommend using it.

The exception to the Bladestorm vs Cyclone rule is if you have EXTREMELY low Crit chance which you really ought not to have as Crit chance is the best way to get dps on monks.
    Quote from Druin

Quote from Shatterbox

There is no situation in which MoC:Submission does more damage than Moc:Overawe. So I do not recommend using it.

Edit: This assumes you use SW to do AoE damage and that you use gear that promotes SW's damage which 99.99% of monks do.

There is also ALMOST no situation in which SW:Bladestorm does more DPS than SW:Cyclone. I also do not recommend using it.

The exception to the Bladestorm vs Cyclone rule is if you have EXTREMELY low Crit chance which you really ought not to have as Crit chance is the best way to get dps on monks.

Normally, yes. On a monster that you actually have to attack to kill. But on mp0, these things die so fast you dont have time to attack them. Bladestorm is 60% rather than 45%, and since you dont actually attack anything, you wont pop cyclones. So no point there. Also, same with MoC, you dont attack, so you cant spam Overawe for the 48%. Instead, you just do the constant AoE damage. Did you even read my post? You don't attack anything. You run around the map and things die. No attacking other than to build spirit when you need to recast.
    Quote from Shatterbox

Normally, yes. On a monster that you actually have to attack to kill. But on mp0, these things die so fast you dont have time to attack them. Bladestorm is 60% rather than 45%, and since you dont actually attack anything, you wont pop cyclones. So no point there. Also, same with MoC, you dont attack, so you cant spam Overawe for the 48%. Instead, you just do the constant AoE damage. Did you even read my post? You don't attack anything. You run around the map and things die. No attacking other than to build spirit when you need to recast.

Have you actually tested this?

I am nearly certain I have a higher damage SW than you and I run MP0 at ~85million xp/hour so I am not just assuming things. But SW does NOT kill things instantly upon contact. I am sure this is theoretically possible but I hit things constantly with TR while running through them and that procs Cyclones which in turn kill things MUCH more quickly than SW.

Cyclones also kill strays very efficiently.
    SW definitely doesn't kill things instantly on contact. However, SW @ 60% Damage of a 1450 Skorn, added to the 16% Weapon damage per second, coupled with the generic 24% damage increase to all damage from just having Mantra of conviction up we have 66% Weapon damage per second with a 25% buffer on all damage we do in the radius of MoC.

I didn't know that TR could proc cyclones, that is awesome! Definitely something that could speed up the runs if I switched to spirit regen equipment. As it stands right now, I just literally run through things and they die, stopping shortly just to cast SSS which pretty much gibs elite packs.

Added you on Battlenet, I'd like to see your TR build :)

EDIT: I guess I should clarify, it probably won't work for less geared monks... My SW snapshots 220k dps.

Edit 2: Just checked out your profile and your build... Dang, You only spend 1 spirit per second here... thats awesome. I was under the impression that you wouldn't be able to have enough spirit regen without it being on your weapons and I didn't want to give up the huge damage from the skorn for the mp0. I'm going to buy some stuff like yours and try this out.
    Quote from Shatterbox

SW definitely doesn't kill things instantly on contact. However, SW @ 60% Damage of a 1450 Skorn, added to the 16% Weapon damage per second, coupled with the generic 24% damage increase to all damage from just having Mantra of conviction up we have 66% Weapon damage per second with a 25% buffer on all damage we do in the radius of MoC.

I didn't know that TR could proc cyclones, that is awesome! Definitely something that could speed up the runs if I switched to spirit regen equipment. As it stands right now, I just literally run through things and they die, stopping shortly just to cast SSS which pretty much gibs elite packs.

Added you on Battlenet, I'd like to see your TR build :)

EDIT: I guess I should clarify, it probably won't work for less geared monks... My SW snapshots 220k dps.

Edit 2: Just checked out your profile and your build... Dang, You only spend 1 spirit per second here... thats awesome. I was under the impression that you wouldn't be able to have enough spirit regen without it being on your weapons and I didn't want to give up the huge damage from the skorn for the mp0. I'm going to buy some stuff like yours and try this out.

Sorry that I was unable to add you last night, I was playing Halo4 :P

I should be on tonight and we can talk.

TR-monks ftw! :D
    Like others have said, at MP0 you can just run from elite pack to elite pack with 34% movement speed + tempest rush.

Concerning submission, I like using it for TR farming. Since I'm dual wielding with 2+ attacks/second I can't spend spirit on overawe spam, and submission + SW aoe melts a lot of stuff before I get to touch it. Not having overawe slows down elite fights a bit though. The bigger issue is that when 20+ mobs get hit by submission, the flashes of holy damage make my fps drop quite a bit.
    My monk Vin
    So many options for spirit.

SoJ (~2), inna's helm (~2.15) & bonus (0.33), passive (2) seem a given = 6.5 spirit. Based on +47% from templar/talent that's 9.5 per second. Based on max affixes it's 10 even, I don't think that'll slide as there'll be attack speed somewhere...

But what's the best place to get that last spirit? Xeph amulet? Mantra healing? Sweeping wind?

I recall Tempest Rush having a 0.25 proc rate for LoH & cyclone. Based on 50% (40) crit chance, 1 (1.2) attack per second that means one cyclone every 8 hits. I don't think it's worth it.

Bladestorm is a 33% sweeping wind damage increase (60/45) or a 40% extended range via firestorm. Or 3 spirit per second.

What would you approximate the total dps value increase?

overawe is 12% total damage, submission is that same 33% sweeping wind increase (15% x attack speed aoe) or another 12% damage for 24% total. a somewhat useful spirit dump.

Or mantra healing... a shield when you need it, and 3 spirit per second.

The dps loss of a xeph amulet? Confusing.

maybe dropping the spirit passive for OWE so one never dies...
    Many good answers in this thread, the main reason I'm using master of wind rune on SW is then I cast it once in the start of my run, then I spam MoC-ow.

Will try TR build, I have a 1350 dps skorn with socket that I can try using. My only bane with TR is the spirit regen though, don't have any gear for that yet.

Let the experimentation begin!
    Great thread here. It actually inspired me to make a TR build. I have to say the build is a ton of fun but I'm having problems with survival. I have a feeling i know the answer "get a skorn with LS" but i really dont feel like dropping 20m plus atm on something im just figuring out. Anyone have any other ideas? Here is my profile:

us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zzak-1591/hero/7251565

It didnt snapshot that I was using SW:bladestorm not cyclone, which seemed to be working better for me. Thanks for your help.
    Quote from thoughtprocess

With that gear, I'm surprised that you survive anything at all. Your vitality is way too low, and the 600 LoH on Skorn are almost worthless, since 2h have too slow attack speed. This is one of the problems with 2h builds.

Note that you can tempest rush with 2x 1h weapons. Just take exalted soul and use trash packs and to replenish spirit. Weapon wise you will have more options and you could go with a combination of LS and/or LoH.
    My monk Vin
    Quote from thundersteele

Quote from thoughtprocess

With that gear, I'm surprised that you survive anything at all. Your vitality is way too low, and the 600 LoH on Skorn are almost worthless, since 2h have too slow attack speed. This is one of the problems with 2h builds.

Note that you can tempest rush with 2x 1h weapons. Just take exalted soul and use trash packs and to replenish spirit. Weapon wise you will have more options and you could go with a combination of LS and/or LoH.

Here's a thread with a fairly cheap introduction cost to tempest rush farming: http://www.reddit.co...t_rush_farming/

A high crit shield and high crit damage xeph amulet is great for finding gold/epics/spirit while maintaining damage.

The shield helps offsets the loss of defensive talents.
    Quote from Schmii

Here's a thread with a fairly cheap introduction cost to tempest rush farming: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Strategy/comments/12wsig/monkguide_1hshield_tempest_rush_farming/

A high crit shield and high crit damage xeph amulet is great for finding gold/epics/spirit while maintaining damage.

Odd, you had a different link before :D

As for that reddit post. I sincerely disagree with quite a bit of it. I think the guy who's profile I link below has the right idea (obviously somewhat bias as that is what I do)

I actually use a 1h/shield for my own farming but that is due to secret tech, for 99.9% of monks out there, a LS Skorn will be WAY better for TR farming than a 1h/shield can. Furthermore, if you ever prioritize CHD over Crit% you are doing it wrong. Crit chance double scales yours dps by making you hit harder AND making you spawn more cyclones.

For this reason, you always want a crit CHANCE xeph ammy, not a crit dmg one. (both is the ideal world).

Note: @Schmii, you have amazing gear ... give it to me plx! :D

As for the "beginner's guide"--

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zzak-1591/hero/7251565

The only thing that I would say isn't correct about that entry level TR build is, you NEED LS on your Skorn. It is mandatory. You will flatly not survive without it.

He also has pretty low HP. That is just a problem with this build because it uses so many "non-stat" items.
    You can help this situation by stacking as much AR as possible (I am actually pretty poor, but when I hit plvl100 and stop farming XP and start farming money, I will be switching my Inna's over to AR) and switching gems to Vit.

All in all, cool to see an entry level version of my build!

-Druin, the happy monk
    Thanks for the quick constructive feedback. Im going to mess around with it in the next couple days and ill get back to you. Any other feedback is always welcome as well.
    I'm very curious how crit chance is good for TR builds proccing cyclones.

https://docs.google....d=0&output=html

http://www.diablofan...-the-1001-gods/

Fists of Thunder: "1.875x Proc Rate (1.5x AS & 375% Proc per 3 punch cycle)"

Cyclone: "Dual fists give 1.61 attack speed, so you would only need 9% crit for cyclone > bladestorm."

Tempest Rush: 0.25 proc rate (LoH value)

Cyclone: 1.875 / 0.25 = 7.5x lower proc rate. Assuming one attack speed item 1.61 / 1.09 = 1.5x lower proc rate.

9 x 1.5 x 7.5 seems to mean 100% crit chance is required to beat bladestorm...

In another scenario with 50% (40) crit chance, 0.25 proc rate, 1.0 (1.2) attack speed means you crit once every 2 hits, 8 hits required to proc a cyclone. I don't think cyclone is worthwhile with TR farming. You crit more, but cyclone procs are not worthwhile in which case it's just character sheet dps. The suggestion of a high crit damage xeph assumes it would be cheap where the bread and butter specs desire crit chance.

Mind you the hybrid spec would still likely use FoT to gain spirit between TRing between packs making math muddy.

Consider that bladestorm is a 33% sweeping wind increase, firestorm a 40% aura increase, inner storm 3 spirit per second. One cyclone every few seconds doesn't seem worthwhile.
    Here is my TR Build that i came up with ...tryed to go for the max Spirit Regen (15 Spirit per sec w/ Templar) & DPS (150k Buffed w/ Deadly Reach/Foresight @ 1.33 Attack Speed) as possible so i wont have to double back on mobs. I actually gain spirit while TR so it cost nothing

Things i found Help
    As much Crit as you can (50% w/ SOJ while TR) and this spawns SW cyclones all the time so if i am not able to kill the mob in one hit the cyclone takes care of this
    SOJ w/ Cold Dmg ..this combined with TR slow the mobs enough that they dont get away from you
    i did some testing with Flying Dragon Legandary Diablo affix "Chance to double attack speed" but found out with testing that TR cannot proc this affix
    Since i opted for the IAS on skorn rather then Life Steal ...I use a Ammy with 12k health globes for Life regen this works on pots as well ;-) thanks to 1.0.5

us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DuffMan-1818/hero/20749072 ~Monk
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes