Echoing fury fear

hi
    i bought an echoing fury some weeks before the patch came out and it seriously annoys me now :(
    with my attackspeed, i'm constantly fearing everything i attack, which causes them to flee several screens of distance away while i try to kill it.
    most mobs are close to impossible to catch up to, while "fast" is completely rediculous ;)

i invested 50million in that weapon and cant really sell it for that much anymore. i generally farm with friends, who are complaining a lot about it... so im stuck.

is anybody annoyed by this too? should i sell it or keep it? im quite torn about it...
    i love it, try a harder mp and you`l like it not getting your head smashed in. also u can choose the direction of the fear. fear them into the next group and u didnt waste anytime, unless your mob is going the wrong direction

its all about learning to control the fear, make the mob go where u want it. i like it to move mobs out of arcane beams or molten where u have trouble to dps them

try the hardest mp u can handle and suddenly the fear becomes great, instead of taking damage, your taking no damage.

if u play with more people and they all use their cc then the mob shouldnt move much, he can get feared only three times before he gets immune.

its only annoying on easy packs, but nasty packs , you`ll be happy when two are feared and u rape one fast.

either way its has benefits and downsides, i take the downside since the benefits are great and its a nice weapon

every once and while an elite gets feared a little bit further then normal isnt the biggest slower of farming, dying is.
    I do agree with Deadlybonne, I'm playing ML6 and the fear effect is not a problem, most of the time I can still fight all monsters left around me, the mob who was fear will come back to fight by himself quickly. It's also breaking special abilities, giving you some free times when the fight is hard.
    Also as I have a lot of movement speed (stuff + skill) so I'm able to chase the monster and hit him when he's running and can't hit me back.
    yeah, the cc itself is pretty nice, but i cant stop running around in molten when chasing...
    + my group members really start to freak out ;) as i said, fast mobs just run so far, i have to follow them through what feels like 2 acts...
    i hope it gets more helpful over time, thanks for the feedback so far
    you can always use cyclone strike...
    My monk Vin
    Quote from Bananaramaaah

yeah, the cc itself is pretty nice, but i cant stop running around in molten when chasing...

this lol. died many times because of that but really if I just pay attention a bit more it can be avoided. DeadlyBonne makes some great points. It can be annoying but if you learn to control it properly it is a big help.
    my attackspeed is quite high, so often times i cant react fast enough and just port into molten... its almost impossible to stay out!
    and chasing makes it worse, because i generally use FoT to catch up, which again fears them away.... aaaaaaaah how i hate it ;)

i'll try playing it smarter and controlling my fears.

btw: how insane will this be in pvp? fear, fear, fear, serenity, blind, kite around, repeat? ;)
    Quote from USSNotGood

Quote from Bananaramaaah

this lol. died many times because of that but really if I just pay attention a bit more it can be avoided. DeadlyBonne makes some great points. It can be annoying but if you learn to control it properly it is a big help.

I use an Echoing Fury for my wizard, which is highly useful for ranged characters. However, as you've all noticed... Not so much for melee. I'd suggest shift-attacking to avoid inadverdently running across molten trails when your target gets feared. This is why I'm not planning on getting an EF for my monk, especially after seeing all my EF-wielding barb and monk friends groan and moan when fear procs.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Steele, I'm looking at you, Colin, and Reimur ;)

(Sorry for double post... On my phone and misclicking everywhere)
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

Steele, I'm looking at you, Colin, and Reimur ;)

(Sorry for double post... On my phone and misclicking everywhere)

Yeah... although, I just ran a few alternatives through my dps spreadsheet... it is incredibly hard (i.e. expensive) to find a set of weapons that gives comparable dps. Easily 2x-4x the price of a nice EF + off hand. Right now I see it as follows:

Low MP farming: Trash dies before it gets feared (and those that run come back), and since I'm using tempest rush I run faster than any elite, even fast + feared ones.

High MP: The fear is not that bad here. It reduces incoming damage and you can fear-stun elites in corners. Beyond that, I recommend looking into dashing strike and cyclone strike which are very useful and somewhat under-rated in the monk community.

Groups: For elite farming, you should have cyclone strike when you have an EF, in order to not annoy your friends. It also helps the overall dps output of the group, so it's win/win.

Unless I find at least one nice shenlong myself, I will stick with EF.
    My monk Vin
    its only annoying to me because i dont have an EF, but my barb friend does and he comes over and fears off the uber i've got separated and i'm destroying. Usually fears the blades guy into a gas cloud.....that is really annoying. lol.

The fear factor is actually keeping me from buying one of these. I'm at 71K buffed and i do like to use Tempest Rush between mobs instead of carrying 7SS if i dont really need it. For instance, i like to farm act 3 on MP1 for paragon exp because the runs are super fast. I thought about getting a skorn or ef just for that. But i'm not game rich, i cant just go out and buy shit when i want to experiment unfortunately. But it is really annoying when you're cleaning up and a group member comes and fears them out of your beat down.
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    Quote from Bananaramaaah

I just recently bought a EF myself and this was EXACTLY what I was thinking. It works great on higher MP on all affixes except Molten. Molten is a bitch. Especially on the key warden in Fields of Misery. That damn guy keeps running away on his own, and then when I get to him - I fear him and he runs again!! Arrrgh.

I agree with the point made earlier though. You are going to struggle to get a similar DPS boost for the same price, so for now I guess I'll stop complaining and just learn to be more aware.
    I feel you OP, played with it for 15minutes and then sold it. The fear is so much pain in the ass that I choose -5k dps weapon instead of running around in circles like a headless chicken.
    Quote from redrym

I feel you OP, played with it for 15minutes and then sold it. The fear is so much pain in the ass that I choose -5k dps weapon instead of running around in circles like a headless chicken.

Same here! Luckely i bought it for only 800k
    In 1.0.4 I use an Echoing Fury on my Barb and other in my Monk, in 1.0.5 on MP5 or above Echoing Fury sucks for me and I sell both the third day of 1.0.5. For me the fear effect is extremely annoying and makes my die sometimes, also my friends complain about it.

With my insane attack speed in monk and the thousands of hits with my barb using a WW/sprint build, sell both Echoing Fury was a nice decisionfor me, maybe with other kind of builds the problem of the fear isn´t so bad, I don´t know.

Yep, sold mine and replaced it with a 850 dps, +60 crid dmg, socket, life steal and 200 dex. Went down 8k dps, but the rage is all gone.
    most importantly are u using max runspeed, if u don`t have runspeed then its gonna be more annoying then sticking on your target.

i would advise to wield this weapon with max runspeed, if u walk like a snail then its gonna be disaster indeed.
    Im actually surprised it has taken this long for people to realise this.
    When i first saw EF first day of 04 i said to all my friends in game that the weapon was great but that fear made it simply unusable by melee characters.

My advice for you is try and sell that as fast as you can before this realization gets even more widespread.
    Quote from RenescoD3

Im actually surprised it has taken this long for people to realise this.
    When i first saw EF first day of 04 i said to all my friends in game that the weapon was great but that fear made it simply unusable by melee characters.

My advice for you is try and sell that as fast as you can before this realization gets even more widespread.

I think this is wildly overstated. First, in 1.0.4 the fear was much less of an issue, since it didn't add a run speed buff to the target, and most stuff was dead before it got feared. Second, if you use it properly it gives you some additional flexibility. But I hope you are right and people will start selling their 1.2k dps life steal socketed EF for little gold so that I can pick one up.
    My monk Vin
    Quote from thundersteele
    I think this is wildly overstated. First, in 1.0.4 the fear was much less of an issue, since it didn't add a run speed buff to the target, and most stuff was dead before it got feared.

Don't forget that it lasts longer due to the 1.0.5 crowd control changes. I just give it another shot yesterday and i try to put my observation as neutral as possible: fighting multiple mobs at once (for more tornado spawns) is near impossible, at least 50% are always feared. Since clearly helps with survivability but greatly increases my killtime/pack (chasing feared ranged mob that already likely run away gets even more annoying). Unless you're really after the last possible dps increase and aim for a high dps socket + crit damage EF i'd advise against picking one up.

But it's not that hard to just buy one for 50k (!!!) and give it a shot to see for yourself, some of you might end up liking it while the majority (at least according to this thread) likely will regret purchasing it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes