Grimy's Guide to the 1001 Gods

Really nice guide! Gave it +1 ;)

Ill take a more detailed look when I lvl a new monk, so I still got 3 classes first (Wiz, WD, DH) but I will get there eventually ^^
    Ill add it to my bookmarks and will stalk the comments and perhaps updates too :o
    I was under the impression that manually refreshing Sweeping Winds (ie. clicking it again when it's active) snapshots the info again as well. So in order to do the item swap eploiting you'd need to change the items each time you intend to refresh it. Hitting stuff to keep it up keeps the snapshotted info.
    EDIT: Crossed over wrong info. At least according to another main page post I was under wrong impression. :)
    hi again :)
    i found a small mistake you could change
    in 5 - Farming Strategies & Builds the first part about the farm route has some confusing naming:
    the guide takes you 2 times to the core of arreat, clearing all elites (i think you start there, so the 2nd one has to be erased)
    you mention "tower of the doomed" and "tower of the damned", they are named in correct quest-order: "tower of the damned", "tower of the cursed"

although there is some confusion, it's understandable :) i just wanted to bring it up.

again: awesome guide :) thanks
    In regards of block and dodge.

I guess some people are just a bit confused while testing stuff like this. A dodge or block could be just a normal melee swing or range attack. Ive tested it with a friend. He draged away the mobs so i could just stand inside the poison/arcane without getting hit by any sort of other attacks. Takes some time to set things up each try but imo was worth it. Real funny sunday afternoon. We had a blast in mumble. :P
    Words of wisdom: Don't follow the advice of people who won't have to deal with the consequences.
    Mad props to Grimy, I enjoyed your guide on D3 official forums, and I enjoyed it here. It's nice to have someone say it straight with facts once in a while.
    Great guide! As for the legendaries bit, how about combining it with itemisation and adding each one in under a BiS category and then prefacing the whole section with a mention of which set bonuses are worthwhile?
    Also, on the topic of legendaries, none of the legendaries will roll on the higher range of stat bonuses if there's two of them (mempo, inna's set in general). The few high dex inna's items have all rolled +dex as their random, theoretically all inna's items should be able to roll up to 300, but because they're all bugged, it doesn't happen. If you go to the AH and search for inna's favour, the number of belts with 170+ dex is less than 1 page (compared to over 5 pages of inna's belts) and none of them have rolled anything for their random magical property (unless you count dual +stat rolls, in which case most of them are).
    I.E. you won't find a 170+ dex inna's favour with all resists in the AH because they don't exist due to a bug (or the game guide is wrong, either way) but you will find a 170+ dex/+vit inna's favour because it rolled +vit/+dex.
    Very nice guide, thank you for your effort.

Agree with you on the legendary comments, but I think you should include "the witching hour", sure it has int, but it can roll dex/vit/res (3random :)) and then its really good.
    @ banana, fixed the typo u pointed out

@ Shinna, thanks again for the info, I believe I've updated the information as you requested.
    As usual I cite sources when I don't personally collect information, so a link to your post has been listed so long as that's fine by you.

@serrin & Gaeddan, thanks for the information. I wrote the legendary section on the day of release of 1.04.
    So a lot of it is simply based on the game guide, and is likely wrong.

I will work on updating the information over the coming days, but I'm somewhat distracted by the private testing realm right now.

as for a BIS guide, sorry, but no.
    Just personal bias, I think people need to at least put in some effort to
    Which is why my guide is written in a vague fashion. It's meant to be a compendium of info moreso than a "Do XYZ and win the game" kinda thing.
    The most powerful tips in the guide aren't used my most monks, but requires the reader be reasonably attentive to discern.

I do this for a few reasons.
    First one is I don't want nerfs to my favorite tips and tricks anytime soon. SO yeah. <3
    I don't want to list a BIS guide because I don't want gear I'm trying to upgrade to shoot up in price.
    Also I don't feel it is my job to baby every last newby players.
    I'm here to help knowledgeable players that don't have time to waste playtesting every last metagame mechanic.
    I'm not here to help the common gamer.

There's more than enough guide writers that are willing to do the XYZ thing. It's just not my thing.

Working through 1.05 though.

It looks like enchantress will no longer be the best monk follower. I think scoundrel will be the best.
    3% crit chance >>> 3% attack speed. And 5% armor is now trivial.

lack of maximus is acceptable due to the raw extra DPS and the fact that the scoundrel's base DPS rate is much higher than the enchantress's.

Beacon of ytar will probably be a must have passive in 1.05 with the buff.
    and dashing strike, one of my favorite skills, got buffed. YAY

edited: 3% crit chance on scoundrel does NOT go away when scoundrel is knocked out.
    You are quite right to say enchantress may not be the best companion to monk (3CC > 3AS).

But do you think we have to find some way to re-instate our armor as we've got a double blow there, or any other solution in skill and passive?
    @ MONK

Well I'm personally not going to reinstate my armor.
    I used to value 100 armor at about 10 resistance in 1.04
    but since I have less total armor in 1.05, I'm going to value 100 armor at about 15 resistances.

It'll impact my decision making process when purchasing new gear.
    I've already edited my gear calculator to reflect the stats I'll have in 1.05.

I don't like thinking of the nerf as a matter of "trying to get back up to pre patch".
    Rather I think of the patch as changing the relative values of armor and all resistances.

the nerf to STI makes armor more valuable.
    this is somewhat counteracted by the fact that the loss of 15% armor from enchantress makes armor slightly less valuable.
    but overall yeah, armor will be a bit more valuable.

the only MAJOR change I can fore-see is the possibility of creating an armor-all resistance monk.
    you can get almost as much mitigation as a typical OWE monk, but you could forego OWE.

of course that's kinda silly and I don't see many monks doing it because you can just make an armor-lightning-all resist monk as well.
    so *shrug*

long story short I'm not gonna give that much thought.

I'm mostly excited about the massive buff to scoundrel DPS, I've already bought new gear for mine.
    The buff to dashing strike is huge for a dashing strike fanatic like myself.
    the beacon of ytar update
    and uh, of course the monster power, infernal machine, and other loot based updates.
    Sure, as I said before, it is more efficient to beef up DPS for more survivability in 1.0.5 rather than to upgrade the defense.

I didn't know that we'll loose the enchantress though, with that armor becomes even more precious, and to boost up armor seems to be even more difficult than to boost DPS.
    Quote from MONK_P100

Sure, as I said before, it is more efficient to beef up DPS for more survivability in 1.0.5 rather than to upgrade the defense.

I didn't know that we'll loose the enchantress though, with that armor becomes even more precious, and to boost up armor seems to be even more difficult than to boost DPS.

that's not entirely accurate.
    STI makes armor more precious because you have less total.
    the enchantress bonus on the other hand, is a percent increase.
    So it's only truly effective when you have a lot, and it gives you more armor for each armor you get on your gear.

so unlike the STI nerf which makes armor more precious.
    the enchantress nerf makes armor less precious.

the STI nerf trumps the effects of the enchantress nerf, but you get the idea.

NO STI + 15% armor from enchantress:
    100 armor gives me 1.89% effective health.

NO STI, no armor bonus from enchantress:
    100 armor gives me 1.78 effective health

as we can see, the enchantress nerf makes armor less valuable, slightly, by like 7%
    On this point I have to argue with you.

I'll take a broader perspective, and focus on the end results.

With a nerf of the enchantress, it is harder to get, say, 6k armor, and you have to pay more to attain it in 1.0.5 than in 1.0.4.

To pay more means that it is more precious than before.
    Quote from MONK_P100

On this point I have to argue with you.

I'll take a broader perspective, and focus on the end results.

With a nerf of the enchantress, it is harder to get, say, 6k armor, and you have to pay more to attain it in 1.0.5 than in 1.0.4.

To pay more means that it is more precious than before.

but that's being offset by the -25% damage decrease to enemies

if you're talking about monster power, rumors are that max monster power will only double enemy damage.
    Which after the -25% damage decrease to enemies, 200%*(100%-25%) = 150%.
    which is roughly what act 3 was back in 1.03

and since all monks are much better geared than they were back then, this seems like it is not a big deal.

I'm personally hoping that enemies will get tripled or quadrupled damage.
    Now that I'm finally really well geared, I want to experience how hard diablo 3 was back around release.
    That and I really want glass cannon monks to get kicked down a notch.
    This is yet to be seen. I worry for those who are a bit under in gear.
    Quote from MONK_P100

This is yet to be seen. I worry for those who are a bit under in gear.

Why? They are reducing the overall damage you take by 5%-10%, if you factor in the nerf of defensive abilities. So people who are still gearing up for normal inferno should have it a bit easier now. For the rest, we have to see how things work out, but I think it will be fine, and monster power 10 will provide some long term motivation :)

Also, note that things are going on the PTR this time, so there is still room for adjustments.
    My monk Vin
    True, it is not too much fun just to play around the DPS.

Defense should be duly rewarded and respected along with killing power.

Blizzard was just too kind to mark the limit of explosion. Some traps and unexpected events will create more challenge and excitement.
    Thundersteele:

There are so many variables and possibilities in 1.0.5.

I wonder if a further reduction in armor by loosing the entrantress should have any impact on the monk fighting at higher difficulty levels.

Of course, this can be offset by putting in more DPS, which we all agree.
    Quick Update

A few monk metagamers have been wondering whether sweeping wind cyclones shock for a total of 100% or 120% weapon damage over 3 seconds.

we know they shock once every 0.6 seconds, so either they shock 5 times or 6 times.
    And what people weren't sure about was whether or not it shocks the moment it spawns.

I finally figured out a conclusive way to test this while doing some runs.

get 2 destructible objects (ie barrels or whatever), fairly far apart.
    I used some bones in core of arreat floor 1, near the world portal.
    there's a pair that spawns consistently just north of the WP

anyways.
    get 3 stacks on your cyclone.
    punch the first stack of bones.
    occasionally you'll spawn a cyclone.
    the cyclone will see the far away stack of bones and immediately destroy it.

Since there's no way thunderclap could have hit the far far away set of bones with its AoE, this confirms that cyclones shock the moment they are spawned.

QED this confirms that cyclones shock for a total of 120% weapon damage over 3 seconds.
    One slightly under-appreciated stat on rings and amulets is average damage. You mention it in the guide, I just thought that I might add some numbers:

On rings, you can easily find some with +20-50 damage, and even +30-60 damage. Just for a comparison, with my current stat values, +90 to damage (or 45 average damage) is worth about 160 dex, or almost 40 crit damage.

Rings with attack speed, crit chance and + damage are often much cheaper than comparable rings with + crit damage. So it's a good alternative to trifectas.

PS: I was thinking about recording gameplay and then looking at the frames to see what hits when and how much. I hope someday I actually get to do it :)
    My monk Vin
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes