1.0.5 feelings?

Patch 1.0.5 seems kinda promising for some classes but i get the feeling that monks once again are being overlooked. We have no change for OWE comming, instead they are nerfing abilities, while nerfing content which equals almost nothing.

A secound thought is that if you want to play at a higher difficulty, wouldnt these defensive abilities and passives still be mandatory in any build?

What´s your feelings?

EDIT; Grammar
    My feelings are... I won't change a thing on my build when 1.0.5 hits live.
    If the developers say they made the math and they figured out that between losing some Resolve/Seize the Initiative percentages, and the reduced damaged from mobs, what we will have in the end is a net buff to our characters resistance to damage, I honestly believe it.

Resolve was already somewhat crappy against ranged A.I. elites, when you would probably only be able to apply the debuff to all of them (and let alone all the spearmen and winged beasts throwing crap at you), so the damage reduction is a massive buff when considering resolve.

Seize the Initiative is a bit harder to evaluate. I'm definitely gonna lose about 2k armor for my Monk, and I think 25% reduced damage from mobs just doesn't cut it. It's going to make my Armor and Resistances slightly off balance (I'll have say, 5-5.5k armor but 850 res all, which is probably very suboptimal).

I'm honestly just glad I'll be actually able to try out different stuff and not feel like I'm giving up a shitload of damage mitigation just from not having Seize the Initiative/Resolve. Because right now, 2k armor is just too much to give up. Same for Force Armor and War Cry/Impunity, it's too much mitigation. Even if you had the Armor/Res to deal with mobs without those, you'd probably still keep those skills/runes because they would make you nearly immune to dmg (with stuff like 11k armor, 1.1k res all).
    I can see the opening of build diversity in the lower difficulties, but when you´re going to farm at higher levels i just can´t see how the defensive skills are getting less mandatory :-(
    Quote from Fonjo78

I agree. They are nerfing defensive abilities, but there are not really useful offensive or utility alternative. Monks will just keep the defensive abilities and maybe use less defensive stats from gear if the game becomes easier as Blizzard claims it will.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

If the developers say they made the math and they figured out that between losing some Resolve/Seize the Initiative percentages, and the reduced damaged from mobs, what we will have in the end is a net buff to our characters resistance to damage, I honestly believe it.

Resolve was already somewhat crappy against ranged A.I. elites, when you would probably only be able to apply the debuff to all of them (and let alone all the spearmen and winged beasts throwing crap at you), so the damage reduction is a massive buff when considering resolve.

Seize the Initiative is a bit harder to evaluate. I'm definitely gonna lose about 2k armor for my Monk, and I think 25% reduced damage from mobs just doesn't cut it. It's going to make my Armor and Resistances slightly off balance (I'll have say, 5-5.5k armor but 850 res all, which is probably very suboptimal).

I'm honestly just glad I'll be actually able to try out different stuff and not feel like I'm giving up a shitload of damage mitigation just from not having Seize the Initiative/Resolve. Because right now, 2k armor is just too much to give up. Same for Force Armor and War Cry/Impunity, it's too much mitigation. Even if you had the Armor/Res to deal with mobs without those, you'd probably still keep those skills/runes because they would make you nearly immune to dmg (with stuff like 11k armor, 1.1k res all).

Sorry, but since StI will go from 100% to 50% ratio for Dex > Armor, that means you're saying that 50% of your total Dex = 2k, which means your total dex is...4k lol?

I sincerely doubt that and think you're overinflating the nerf, even if you're accounting Mantra armor buff and Enchantress into your numbers...

On top of that, 2k armor will roughly be around 11-13% damage reduction, which is half the amount they're saying they'll nerf mob damage.

Not only that, but it's been more then a month that I've been farming A3/A4 Inferno with less then 500 Res, no/negligible LoH without any problems.

Sincerely, this patch will make "normal Inferno" a bad joke and I believe everyone that's already currently farming Inferno will start farming it in the new modes, Infernal Machine, Uber Bosses and so on.

About OWE I think they'll only meddle with that at an expansion or at some point where new gear is available. The reason for me to believe this is that it's not as simple as switch to another skill for monks, since we build all our gear around our chosen resist type, so it could break all monks in a heartbeat if they make it the wrong way.

The least stressful way would be when everyone is switching gear and looking for upgrades, so they would replace all the gear normally.
    In my opinion, 1.05 is yet another patch nerfing monks choices. Most monks have to use the same build FoT+cyclone because of its mechanics, as to use OwE. While "we will nerf the monsters damage" can sound good, now think that you want to increase the difficulty to lets say players 4. So, the monsters will hit harder (harder then in a normal play), 2 of our passives got nerfed (Sieze the initiavite and Resolve), opposed to lets say a double tornado barb who doesn't use a defensive passive/skills, so yeah.. we are stuck here :(
    Quote from Zero(pS)

So you're saying that either you have 4k dex or that you're not gonna use StI after the patch, both ways your wording sounds slightly confusing. :P
    However, I somewhat agree, monks lose armor and barbs resistances, should be the other way around I feel, barbs gain naturally more armor due to str being their mainstat plus two possible armor passives while monks have an easier time getting resistances due to OWE. I'd rather have 6k armor and 600AR than 5k armor and 700AR.
    Should've changed OWE to 50-80% additional res and left StI alone.
    Quote from Formoor1986

In my opinion, 1.05 is yet another patch nerfing monks choices. Most monks have to use the same build FoT+cyclone because of its mechanics, as to use OwE. While "we will nerf the monsters damage" can sound good, now think that you want to increase the difficulty to lets say players 4. So, the monsters will hit harder (harder then in a normal play), 2 of our passives got nerfed (Sieze the initiavite and Resolve), opposed to lets say a double tornado barb who doesn't use a defensive passive/skills, so yeah.. we are stuck here :(

99% of spin 2 win barbs use war cry impunity so thats just an invalid comment.....and the passives arent written in stone,
    its definetly not a nerf in choises, if we are talking about normal inferno and what blizz posted is correct, then its a buff. This allows you to take less passive defenses, less defense on your gear. about the 4 man inferno, if stuff hits less hard in normal inferno then do it times 4, its still less damage you take, so I don't see what you're crying about. No the monk didnt got buffed into the sky, instead all classes get a buff basically. And still whining...I really dont get it
    1.05 does NOT nerf choises for whatever class, it increases it. The incoming damage gets lowered so you can drop defenses if you feel like it. You can still use everything you use now (skills, gear) + some options with less defense now.
    1 + >0 = >1, go figure
    I think it's promising. Just a little math, starting from my own char:

resists: 600 using OWE
    armor 6k using STI, 2.4k from dex

total damage reduction: 88.15%
    or, from a 10k hit, I take 1185 hp damage

Now mob damage will be reduced by "at least 25%", so the 10k hit becomes 7.5k. If we want to keep the balance between res and armor, this would mean we need 4800 armor and 480 resists to get the same amount of protection.

Ok, where do I sit after the nerf? 600 resist and 4800 armor. I'm only taking 1023 damage from that hit, so my survivability is increased by 15%. This is a buff, in case you didn't notice!

Now I have options:
    Drop STI: 600 resist and 3600 armor: 1204 damage taken. If I get 100 armor from gear I get to 1187 damage taken, so no loss in survivability but one free passive
    Reduce resists: I can reduce my resists to 480, keep STI for 4800 armor. 1177 damage taken
    Drop OWE: I would have to get 480 all-resist to stay at the same damage reduction. That's easy, but might be expensive. Alternatively I could go for 400 all resist and 800 armor from gear, putting me at 400/5600, and get the same amount of damage reduction
    Drop OWE and STI: Get 500 all resist, 1000 armor on gear, end up with (500/4600), have the same amount of mitigation but TWO free passives
    Build a tank: Get the 1200 armor back from gear, keep STI and OWE: 889 damage taken, or 25% less than currently

So, why is this good? Previously it was very hard to compensate for either STI or OWE with gear changes. You would need on average 2000 extra armor from gear, i.e. you need +armor on almost every gear slot. This is now cut in half. OWE becomes less mandatory as the target resist goes from 700-800 in 1.0.3 to 600 in 1.0.4 to ~500 in 1.0.3. Suddenly you can get your resists reasonably high either with only all resist gear, or with only single resist gear and OWE. This will make it much cheaper to gear a monk for high DPS.

So, what to do with the free passives:
    Fleet Footed: This is almost mandatory imho for quick farming.
    Combination strike: 8% damage with no effort at all, 16% if you are willing to work DR/Foresight into your rotation (for a total of 34% increased damage)
    Transcendence: The healing is not negligible, in particular if you combine it with 4pc innas or the set claws.
    Spirit regen: Those passives are a bit weak imho, but still an option e.g. if you want to work with tempest rush or other spirit intensive builds

I still would like some more options with offensive passives. Something that really allows a different play style, like CM does for wizards.
    My monk Vin
    im going to use combination strike, i already used, it, but now fleet footed for farming, but combo strike is free dps. i don't think any other passive can add dps, so its a no brainer. gives me 6k dps more, better then nothing..
    awesome.
    10chars.
    Quote from Formoor1986

Why does everyone say mobs will hit harder if you toggle etc players 4 on. When you are 4 players mobs DOESNT hit harder, they just alot more hp. Its like many patches ago they removed extra mob dmg in multiplayer games.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from Huminator

Why does everyone say mobs will hit harder if you toggle etc players 4 on. When you are 4 players mobs DOESNT hit harder, they just alot more hp. Its like many patches ago they removed extra mob dmg in multiplayer games.

We simply don't know yet. If you look at the formulation, the blue post never states, that we will just simulate a higher number of players, it says, that mob difficulty will increase like players 8 did in D2. But in D2, monster damage increased with more players, so it might be the case, who knows?

----

I dislike that the defensive passives are nerfed and besides fleet footed, Monks do not have ANY real offensive or farm-oriented passive we can use instead. Combination strike? 8% is an abysmal boost and to actually get significant, it fills at least 2 other active slots. Guiding light would be a decent boost, but it doesn't work, if you just heal yourself. More spirit or spirit generation is not needed for the cookie-cutter builds, reduced cooldown is nice to have, but not worth it, and every other passive is defensive and inferior to OwE and StI.

Compare that to barbs, who can switch their defensive passives with awesome offensive boosts like Ruthless or Weapon Master.
    Underwhelmed
    Quote from Fonjo78

This
    My feelings are we got nerfed. 2 of our 3 most used passives are nerfed. You say , ye but monsters hit 25% less...ye but on inferno 1
    We will have new inferno, call it player 8 or whatever, but that will be new gear check, just as now is a3. So in fact we got nerfed
    Quote from skilo

My feelings are we got nerfed. 2 of our 3 most used passives are nerfed. You say , ye but monsters hit 25% less...ye but on inferno 1
    We will have new inferno, call it player 8 or whatever, but that will be new gear check, just as now is a3. So in fact we got nerfed

So you got nerfed because there's a higher difficulty available? Are you serious? Because that's your line of argumentation.
    Blizzard is in an attempt to make other passives more viable from their statistics that some passives/skills are used by 90% of the class. However, in the absence of other appealing passives, we feel getting nerfed as there is not much choice to give up OWE or STI, but to adapt to the change. I use Exalt soul as my third passive, which can be considered as an indirect offensive passive as it gives you more spirit to spawn some powerful attacks.

Unless there are better passives coming up, I'll just ignore those changes but to beef up my DPS further along with some LS as less resist and armor will be needed by then. Damage of monsters gets reduced means that we could lower our defense, hence there is no need to make up for it, but instead increase our DPS for fast gaming.
    I hope for a remake of combination strike and guiding light affecting you, even if you just heal yourself.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes