Echoing Fury and Fear on the PTR

Just wondering what your experience is.

Mine is as follows:
    - Fear seems to last longer. This is probably in agreement with the CC changes for 1.0.5 that were communicated some time ago. Instead of not attacking you for a second without moving much, mobs now actually run out of range of Thunderclap
    - Mobs have more health at high MP, so even trash mobs now get feared, sometimes more than once, before they are dead

I've been thinking about selling my EF, but it's very hard to find similar damage with a different weapon, since the +attacks boost off-hand DPS by a lot. I've been looking at the shenlong set although it lacks life steal, but with a socket each and nice dps they are super expensive.
    My monk Vin
    Hmmm, that's interesting, on one of the earlier PTR builds I noticed that the EF fear distance felt shorter (did not actually record anything to show that though). Granted, I have not tested the latest build, nor directly tested the EF fear distances.

What MP have you been running on?
    Anything between 2 and 6.

Molten elites are most annoying with this. They run away, and if you run behind them you take damage, so you have to run around etc. I have 15% chance to fear on hit, and with probably 3 attacks per second, it's almost chain fear until the DR kicks in. Very useful against some bosses, once you get them into a corner, but annoying for trash imho.
    My monk Vin
    they should make fear immobolize the target as well :P
    Quote from KdLoL

they should make fear immobolize the target as well :P

did u know fear actually gives the target a boost to movement speed while they're running? :P

Honestly I think the fear is a balanced tradeoff for the highest DPS single hander in the game.
    WKL also has the tradeoff that it's only good with thunderclap cyclone, which I'm guessing will be inevitably phased out by future balanced updates.

I think legendaries that are so overwhelmingly powerful and with no unique qualities or faults aren't well designed *cough dead man's legacy & Vile Wards* because they squeeze the rare market for that item slot out of existence.

anyways, I'm guessing you've already tried cyclone strike?
    Your EF lacks %crit damage, thus if you can get your hands on a weapon with similar stats and %cd instead of %fear it shouldn't hurt your overall damage to much, should it?!
    Quote from ballon

Your EF lacks %crit damage, thus if you can get your hands on a weapon with similar stats and %cd instead of %fear it shouldn't hurt your overall damage to much, should it?!

+aps is almost universally better by a fair margin. You'll need 90-100% crit damage to compete with it dpswise.
    And even so, you lose out on the spirit.
    that and the fact that echoing fury can also roll crit damage.

100% crit damage is like about 17.5% dps.
    0.21-0.25 APS is 17.8%-20.8% depending on the attack speed of your offhander
    Fist of Az will be your backup for super-high dps with socket or crit damage (1350), shenlongs has 2 affixes that can come close. (1150).

EF can be 1350, and roll 11% speed or double crit while providing an additional 5-10% damage from speed.

My experience is I like it, try to not chase a mob, just do damage in an area bouncing between enemies or shift-mousing behind enemies to stay stationary. My ultimate setup would be Fist of Az and lifesteal EF.
    Quote from Schmii

Fist of Az will be your backup for super-high dps with socket or crit damage (1350), shenlongs has 2 affixes that can come close. (1150).

EF can be 1350, and roll 11% speed or double crit while providing an additional 5-10% damage from speed.

My experience is I like it, try to not chase a mob, just do damage in an area bouncing between enemies or shift-mousing behind enemies to stay stationary. My ultimate setup would be Fist of Az and lifesteal EF.

shenlongs don't roll with 2 random affixes as the game guide states.
    and it's unknown whether or not this is a bug or if it is intended.

fist of azturrasq is also pretty sub par as a dual wield weapon.
    partially because it also only rolls 1 random affix.
    so at best it will roll a socket, and it won't roll crit damage or lifesteal ontop of the socket.
    You'd be better off with a rare weapon unless you really desperate want that stun chance and spirit regen.

lightning skills damage and APS benefit both weapons, fist doesn't have an enchantment on it like that.
    @Grimpy
    I'll test Cyclone strike. So far I was too busy playing with dashing strike :)

I guess I should be able to find an equivalent replacement if it turns out to be too annoying. But I will miss the attack speed.

edit, concerning legendary alternatives:

AZ is a good weapon, but it's not "end game." EF can roll much better in particular in the next patch, when crit will be able to roll up to 100%. AZ can't roll a socket + life regen stats, and it can't roll socket + crit, so it needs very high dps just to match my average rolled EF.

The Shenlongs have more potential. With two sockets there can be a total of 300% crit damage, and all the other stuff you need is there, i.e. a lot of dex (+set bonus), health regen, high attack speed, and both can roll above 1000 dps.

However I still think it is hard to find a combination that is as good as a well rolled EF and a high end rare.
    My monk Vin
    Quote from thundersteele

EF can roll much better in particular in the next patch, when crit will be able to roll up to 100%.

So do we have confirmation that ALL legendaries can roll ilvl 63 affixes now, and not just jewelry?
    Quote from Turdragin

Quote from thundersteele

EF can roll much better in particular in the next patch, when crit will be able to roll up to 100%.

So do we have confirmation that ALL legendaries can roll ilvl 63 affixes now, and not just jewelry?

if you get the legendaries in 1.05 with MP, then yes.

that kinda means that legendaries with ilvl under 58, which won't drop on MP in 1.05, will not be available with i63 affixes.
    Last post off-topic, promise :).

I'll have to jump back on the PTR and check the AH to confirm the affixes then, I know I've seen ilvl 62 jewelry now rolling ilvl 63 affixes, but didn't know if all legendaries could now roll them (assuming they are found on MP1+ of course.)
    Well, that's what blizzard said in a blue post. I've yet to see a legendary actually roll those stats on the PTR, but then, I haven't really been looking.
    My monk Vin
    I had the same problem with fury on PTR Mpover lvl >5. It is totally unplayable. Monsters are running away - even normal white mobs. It is just like running with goblin. Problem is also with healing, because instead of attacking mobs we are just running and beeing attacking by mobs what causes that healing is weak even with good loh (1.9k) or ls (3-4%).
    Imagine what happens when you are playing in party, and mobs got even more hp than on single. It is even not funny, it's horrible.
    My DPS with fury was about 85k.

I sold fury because of that what happens on 1.05 patch. There is hard to find weapon with simillar dps or stats (my was over 1100dps)
    So I just rebuild my character and I bought Skorn with huge LS (6%) over 1300DPS.
    This is GREAT opportunity, and I recomend it for you. DPS is much better, healing is much much better. Skills based on weapon DMG are extremely powerful (fury had x-970dmg; skorn has 1100-1590) so there is huge different.

And of course there is not this F^%$#*& FEAR.
    they need to make the mobs fear and stand in place lol
    From what I've heard butcher's sickle is pretty slick and possibly end-game.

1050dmg, 50% crit, socket, lifesteal, 1 roll. 25% pull chance seems to stun elites?
    I don't think the sickle is end-game... crit is low for that. But it can be a great weapon when it rolls good.

I had one drop on the PTR with 900 dps, socket and dex.
    My monk Vin
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes