20M exp in 1hour! Monk builds

Hello fellow Monks!

Edit: the new runns are now giving between 25-45Mexp/hour, see lower posts for discriptions

This topic (or discussion) of monk builds is based on getting as much experience as possible in 1 hour! So please go out and try your builds and leveling places in 1hour (start with zero NV) and see if you can brake my 20M exp. If so! pelase share so we can make this topic a contribution to different ways to level up as fast as possible as a monk.
    And cant be said enough: Stick to the topic! really, please, do.

http://eu.battle.net...29/hero/2763051

The build I use: First I lied in the topic, only made 19.5M exp, so its ok to round up, 20M sounds better right.
    The build I use is designed to make me as fast as possible and kill as much as possible, obviously. Here is my profile http://eu.battle.net...29/hero/2763051 . I use a ruby in helmet for +exp%. You can stack follower with +exp gear, but choose mf gets me 23% recommend using http://eu.battle.net...he-grand-vizier on enchantress with LoH so she stays alive.
    So I have 24 movement speed (MS) from gear (max is 25) and with Fleet Footed (+10) and WotHF (blazing fists +15) that gives me 49, almost all the time.
    I use cyclone cause it has crazy aoe, so I dont have to hit every single target. And with 49MS I can keep my cyclone alive np. Remember to pop blinding flash before cyclone for +30% damage on cyclone. For deeper info on how cyclone works watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z64T8tFgvlM.

The place I level on:
    The place I level on is act III, but more in particular this is how I go:
    1) I start on rakkis going south for fast 5 NV stacks, continues on the left side of the bridge area going anticlockwise in a circle. Important here is to not die from rakkis to first checkpoint, since its a long way to run. Therefore I dont swap gear on the first 5 elites. If you die on bridge area you will spawn close so np.
    2) Now with 5 NV I go to keep level 1 and clear is backway. If you somehow die here you can start from other side and work your way forward.
    3) After keep level 1 is about 80% cleared I go keep level 3 and work myself back to level 2. Keep level 2 is the best place in hole act III for leveling so clear it 100%. And if you die, start at wp keep level 1 so you dont have to run without killing.
    4) Now go stonefort, first up, then down. Be quick and dont go into any side roads.
    5) If the fortified bunkar spawned, go in there, skip if it is the barracks, so few monsters.
    6) Back to rakkis and go seige boss, then continue and clear the first area on next level
    7) I dont go tower cause so few monsters and the 1 hour has passed by now. And I get kind of bored out after 1h.
    Also I mf swap before elite/gob kill and pick up all level 61-63 items. This run gives me 2-3 full inventories.

So if you have a more effective way to get experience please do share. But please test your build/run location in one hour a measure your exp. It should be at least 16M/hour to be interesting, otherwise do not share.
    Remember this is a discussion topic of leveling as fast as possible (and having a chance to get some nice loot while doing so dont hurts). Yes this might not be the case or place for everyone, with not enough dps or speed or skill, so please respect the topic and keep the discussion on a high level as possible.

/gäddan
    Quote from gaeddan

The place I level on:
    The place I level on is act III, but more in particular this is how I go:
    1) I start on rakkis going south for fast 5 NV stacks, continues on the left side of the bridge area going anticlockwise in a circle. Important here is to not die from rakkis to first checkpoint, since its a long way to run. Therefore I dont swap gear on the first 5 elites. If you die on bridge area you will spawn close so np.
    2) Now with 5 NV I go to keep level 1 and clear is backway. If you somehow die here you can start from other side and work your way forward.
    3) After keep level 1 is about 80% cleared I go keep level 3 and work myself back to level 2. Keep level 2 is the best place in hole act III for leveling so clear it 100%. And if you die, start at wp keep level 1 so you dont have to run without killing.
    4) Now go stonefort, first up, then down. Be quick and dont go into any side roads.
    5) If the fortified bunkar spawned, go in there, skip if it is the barracks, so few monsters.
    6) Back to rakkis and go seige boss, then continue and clear the first area on next level
    7) I dont go tower cause so few monsters and the 1 hour has passed by now. And I get kind of bored out after 1h.
    Also I mf swap before elite/gob kill and pick up all level 61-63 items. This run gives me 2-3 full inventories.

5) should be after 1), it's the only time you are near that area. Or do you not clear the area outside of the Arreat gate at all?

So if you have a more effective way to get experience please do share. But please test your build/run location in one hour a measure your exp. It should be at least 16M/hour to be interesting, otherwise do not share.
    Remember this is a discussion topic of leveling as fast as possible (and having a chance to get some nice loot while doing so dont hurts). Yes this might not be the case or place for everyone, with not enough dps or speed or skill, so please respect the topic and keep the discussion on a high level as possible.

elitist much?

Also, what % is your gem in the helm?
    movespeed cap = 25%

über fail.
    Johnp you might want to check the 1.0.4 patchnotes, the fleet footed passive increases the cap to 135% :)

Why not contribute with some useful input instead of throwing around with words like fail etc and making yourself look plain dumb?

---

Skipping on the whole tower part looks interesting, yes there are only a few mobs but 2-3 champion packs per level and don't forget about the arreat areas in between filled with tormented stingers. Might be worthwhile instead of Stonefort if you just start at the last quest and use the waypoints. At least for me Stonefort (both parts) is rather long walking passage with measly amount of mobs/champions per minute.

Quote from thundersteele
    elitist much?

Obviously he's looking for some improvements for his own route so he can (barely) keep up with sprinting barbs and vaulting DHs.

With the usage of the Hundred Fists for movement speed all the time do you still use FoT/Thunderclap that often? You could swap that for SSS and clear champ packs even faster or pick up Tempest Rush/Tailwind if your spirit regen/pool allows that. Cyclone Strike is a third option, helping greatly with hunting runners.
    Quote from ballon

Johnp you might want to check the 1.0.4 patchnotes, the fleet footed passive increases the cap to 135%

Why not contribute with some useful input instead of throwing around with words like fail etc and making yourself look plain dumb?

The cap is still 25% but the movement speed bonus from fleet footed no longer counts towards the cap.

Anyway, i need some reliable source about WotHF stacking with the 25% cap.
    Quote from Johnp
    The cap is still 25% but the movement speed bonus from fleet footed no longer counts towards the cap.

Nitpicking ;)

Any short time buff doesn't count against the cap (see: sprint, tempest rush/tailwaind and many more abilities/runes).
    I just did one of my typical act3 runs, but this time with a timer! After 40 minutes I had cleared the areas i normally do, but then for the heck of it i continued, and at 58.30 minutes I was out of way points so I stopped there.

My route is simple: I go to crater level 1 and clear my way to azmodan. Then i go to rakkis crossing and clear my way backwards untill the bridge of korsik way point. Then I take the keep level 3 way point and clear all levels of the keep. And then I log out and do something else, maybe I go outside and get some fresh air!
    I started with 8,26 mio. exp and after having done my route in 40 minutes I had 24,23 mio. exp. That is 15,97 mio exp wich equals 23,96 mio. exp/hour.
    As mentioned i continued clearing other areas of act3 wich did not feel as effecient. At 58.30 minutes I had 30,9 mio exp so all in all one hour of act3 farming for me was worth 22,64 mio exp.
    Not bad. My shorter route seems to be a little bit more effecient, but I conclude, after having been through most areas of act3, that it does not matter where you go. For me the most important thing is to get 5 valor stacks as fast as possible, and then just kill everything!

I use the standard sweeping wind/fist of thunder build with 73k dps and ruby in helmet, and I died once.
    Quote from Johnp

Anyway, i need some reliable source about WotHF stacking with the 25% cap.

Doesn't change the fact that your post was completely off. Active skills have always been able to go above the cap, and while I didn't try WotF myself, I can assure you that Tempest Rush goes above the cap and has done so before the patch.

The reason that Fleet Footed was mentioned specifically is that before the patch, it didn't go above the cap, while all other skills do.

I agree with most others here that Stonefront (forward & back) seems to be a lot of walking for not so many mobs. I like the arreat craters, the little spiders/crawlers give lots of XP, and the tower levels in between are short and have a substantial amount of Elites, so not too bad.

I usually put the quest at kill Ghom, start at stonefront and go for a full clear (except the signal fires section). This takes me around 1.5 hours and probably gives around 25m exp. Now I wasn't very agressive with timing. Skipping some of the less efficient areas I guess I could come close to 20m/hour, but I have to see if I can get above that. The detailed description of the farming route is useful, I will try that more agressive use of the waypoints to save time in the future.

Finally I'm surprised about the specific mention of Keep lvl 2. It's quite good for exp, but the stupid exploding guys are the most dangerous mobs in the whole run, and dying costs quite some time.
    Quote from thundersteele

Finally I'm surprised about the specific mention of Keep lvl 2. It's quite good for exp, but the stupid exploding guys are the most dangerous mobs in the whole run, and dying costs quite some time.

Just don't be afraid of popping your serenity cooldown for those if you see a big pack of them comming! They die really fast. Otherwice just run away and wait for them to explode if you think they will kill you. :P
    Quote from Malthe

Quote from thundersteele

Just don't be afraid of popping your serenity cooldown for those if you see a big pack of them comming! They die really fast. Otherwice just run away and wait for them to explode if you think they will kill you. :P

I'm now using the cowbell (WoL) to kill them off before they can touch me, but I still have my finger on Serenity whenever I see something glowing green and moving fast :)
    Thx for good discussion.

Quote from thundersteele

5) should be after 1), it's the only time you are near that area. Or do you not clear the area outside of the Arreat gate at all?

Also, what % is your gem in the helm?

I dont clear outside Arreat gate. Its a good place for looting with elites and gobs at fixed places, but so few mobs.
    You can see my gear on my profile, its a flawless star 27%, I'm to tight-fisted to spend more for that extra 1%.

Quote from ballon

Skipping on the whole tower part looks interesting, yes there are only a few mobs but 2-3 champion packs per level and don't forget about the arreat areas in between filled with tormented stingers. Might be worthwhile instead of Stonefort if you just start at the last quest and use the waypoints. At least for me Stonefort (both parts) is rather long walking passage with measly amount of mobs/champions per minute.

With the usage of the Hundred Fists for movement speed all the time do you still use FoT/Thunderclap that often? You could swap that for SSS and clear champ packs even faster or pick up Tempest Rush/Tailwind if your spirit regen/pool allows that. Cyclone Strike is a third option, helping greatly with hunting runners.

Agree that Stonefort feels rather slow, so I will definitely try out Malthe's run instead. Looks promising.

About FoT I love the proc on it, seems so much higher, so cyclones spawn everywhere. Also when criting with FoT and cyclone everything around dies, but WotHF just strikes in front of me. So answer is yes I use FoT on all high crowded areas and WotHF on last enemy to get the MS for transportation to next area.
    I haven't tried Tempest Rush/Tailwind so I will definitely do that. Problem with elites is they die to fast from cyclones so I miss the MF-swap, so no SSS for me. And when you are fast the hunting runners are no problems.
    Thx for post, good questions

Quote from thundersteele

I agree with most others here that Stonefront (forward & back) seems to be a lot of walking for not so many mobs. I like the arreat craters, the little spiders/crawlers give lots of XP, and the tower levels in between are short and have a substantial amount of Elites, so not too bad.

Agree on Stonefort, feels good to never go there again.
    You can use serenity for the banelings as said above, or run but that feels just stupid. Had big problems with them when I was at 50-60k dps unbuffed. But when you focus your dps on your cyclone with blinding flash and WotHF (or BoH) you get such a high aoe damage that they will stop if not die before blowing up. Also dps above 70k helps greatly. If you have your cyclone up and running 3 stacks try to just shift hold FoT right on them and you will propably be fine, easier if there is other mobs around so you can hit them for cyclones.

Also thx Malthe for your contribution, will try that route most deff. Love to have a shorter route, my brain seems to realize I'm doing same thing over and over again, so it gets bored rather quick, seems to be happening to more people then just me playing d3... (this was of topic, sorry for that)
    OK, here's what I got today:

+27% exp gem, 12% run speed on gear, no run speed talents

Run: Start with Azmodan quest. Start at Rakkis WP, run back, clear area up to Arreat gate, no dungeons (Barracks spawned). Next is Keep lvl 1-3, relatively full clear. Move to Arreat crater, clear to Azmodan (but no boss kill). At this point I'm out of efficient dungeons, have about 16.5m exp in around 50 minutes pure play time. Clear stonefront and first area to use up the remaining time

Total exp: exactly 20m in 1:07 (including 7 minutes spent in town identifying), also died 4 times due to being stupid
    Exp in 1 hour, not subtracting rare id time: 17.8m

Not too bad. I looked for nice run speed boots before the run, but didn't find any I liked. It took me a while to get my 5 stacks this run, might have been bad luck. I'll try to do some more speed runs in the next days, will let you know what I find. This was a nice motivation for today!
    Just did a run copying Alkaizer, he if anyone should know how to get max exp/hour. And his run turned out to be pretty good. 15M/20min, thats 45M/hour, crazy shit.

Get the last checkpoint before azmo. Then leave and resume.
    1) Work back from azmo to WP
    2) Go Tower of the Damned level 1 (ToD1). go right (or left) keep inner circle one lap.
    3) You should have 5 stacks by know. Go Arreat crater level 2, go straight forward and never turn back to clear areas around you.
    4) TP in the end and go Bridge, one circle.
    5) WP to keep level 1, go back
    5) TP and then go keep level 2 (here I prefer going to level 3 and go backwards)
    6) here he stops, but I prefer going rakis working backwards
    7) WP to arreat crater level 1, but keep running straight, not turning back.

The nice thing with this run is that he maximizes elites in the beginning and at ToD level 1. Then goeas for massive mob-kills in the other areas.
    To sum up the areas wich seems to be best is arreat crater level 1-2, bridge, keep and maybe rakkis. The important thing to get as high exp/hour is to skipp swapping mf, only pick up level 63/legends and never clear the whole areas. Just quit and resume.

Nice Thundersteele that this gave you some motivation. It worked that way for me too. And I never thought my own thread would doubble my exp/hour :), thx everyone
    Another run same path: 11.8Mexp/25min = 28Mexp/hour.
    This run was not as favorable in terms of big mobs, and I also mf-swapped before elite-kill.
    Quote from Johnp

movespeed cap = 25%

über fail.

Not if you're a monk. Fleet footed doesn't count towards the cap and let's us get up to 35%.
    Quote from gaeddan

Just did a run copying Alkaizer, he if anyone should know how to get max exp/hour. And his run turned out to be pretty good. 15M/20min, thats 45M/hour, crazy shit.

Get the last checkpoint before azmo. Then leave and resume.
    1) Work back from azmo to WP
    2) Go Tower of the Damned level 1 (ToD1). go right (or left) keep inner circle one lap.
    3) You should have 5 stacks by know. Go Arreat crater level 2, go straight forward and never turn back to clear areas around you.
    4) TP in the end and go Bridge, one circle.
    5) WP to keep level 1, go back
    5) TP and then go keep level 2 (here I prefer going to level 3 and go backwards)
    6) here he stops, but I prefer going rakis working backwards
    7) WP to arreat crater level 1, but keep running straight, not turning back.

The nice thing with this run is that he maximizes elites in the beginning and at ToD level 1. Then goeas for massive mob-kills in the other areas.
    To sum up the areas wich seems to be best is arreat crater level 1-2, bridge, keep and maybe rakkis. The important thing to get as high exp/hour is to skipp swapping mf, only pick up level 63/legends and never clear the whole areas. Just quit and resume.

Nice Thundersteele that this gave you some motivation. It worked that way for me too. And I never thought my own thread would doubble my exp/hour , thx everyone

which quest do you start? And can you please add more detais to this run by Alkaizer? tks.
    Quote from Johnp

which quest do you start? And can you please add more detais to this run by Alkaizer? tks.

Its the last quest on act III.

I dont know what kind of details you are missing. When you reach the end of the area your at, tp to next area. If it is a dead end (like in keep level 1/2 dont go back just tp and move on. The key is also to press "resume game" right after you left the game. No AH, no chat, nothing, over and over again... then your at 100 no time :)
    Would gladly test but can't handle the elites yet.
    but other then Alkaizer you guys do loot those rares, right?
    Quote from flolol

but other then Alkaizer you guys do loot those rares, right?

Well, I more and more think it's a waste of time :) I'm thinking about skipping off-hands, and maybe also 2h weapons.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes