LoH Alternative?

Hello

I recently lvl'ed a monk to 60, and farming act 2 atm.
    im using 2H axe, and dealing a decent amount of Dmg (25k dps), but not enough for act 3.
    LoH weapons is very exspensive, so i was wondering if there is any alternative, like like maxing out Crit Dmg + Crit Chance, and surviving on fast kills ?

Dual wield preferred for the +15% Dodge
    Quote from NuGGiS

Hello

im using 2H axe, and dealing a decent amount of Dmg (25k dps), but not enough for act 3.
    LoH weapons is very exspensive, so i was wondering if there is any alternative, like like maxing out Crit Dmg + Crit Chance, and surviving on fast kills ?

pick up 2 - 700dps + socket items. Craft stars and you now have 800 LOH for a total cost of like 1-2 million.
    Yes, there is absolutely no need for LoH at all if you get decent dps by upping crit%, crit dmg and dex.

When you reach a certain point you can either kill the champ packs within 4 secs of serenity, and if not, then you should atleast be able to get them to 50% so they drop the first healthglobe - after that you just live off of globes and defensive stats. MS on boots and atleast 5-7 pickup radius is vital - so make sure to get that. (pickup radius can come from any item, ofcourse xD)

And i tell you - its way more fun smashing enemies sooooo much faster than being able to outlast them for 5 mins while you slowly kill them xD

A few affixes to watch out for when you reach that - Shielding, always a fucking bitch when they chain sheild eachother >_
    Quote from Laserbabz

Yes, there is absolutely no need for LoH at all if you get decent dps by upping crit%, crit dmg and dex.

if i'm going for high dmg, i'm guessing it will take a lot longer to farm than LoH gear.
    But i agree it will be a lot more fun dealing high amounts of dmg, and not taking forever on packs.
    then maybe have some LoH weapons for boss fights.
    Pretty much what Laserbabz said. I think it's still nice to have to some sort of self healing though. LS is a lot cheaper than LoH but you need a solid amount of dps to make it effective. Life after kill turns trash mobs into mini health pots. "Life per spirit spent" is another option. These are all much much cheaper than LoH. You can always just use cd's to deal with bad affixes as well.
    transcendence????
    Quote from BaronTheMonk

transcendence????

In A2 that's a good alternative. A3... I'd prefer to keep Resolve and Seize the initiative.
    my tip:
    get yourself highdps weapons for cyclone (sweeping wind dps is based of the current active weapon). then you also get cheap 500-600dps fist weapons with high LoH - at least 800 each.
    so ingame you equip your high dps weapons and turn on sweeping wind. then you switch to your LoH weapons if you are dying to some packs.

saw this method on tryhard emnitys stream, and it works out fine for me. i can farm almost all packs in act 3 with this gear : http://eu.battle.net...8/hero/16661137

cheers,
    tro

edit : i paid 500k total for two first weapons with 850 LoH each and spirit reg.
    get a decent amulet with crit chance and loh. probably can buy one for 2-3 mill with 300+ loh

U don't really need much loh, u can focus your weapons on pure damage saving lotsa monies..

Basicly the more damage u do, the less loh u need. Eventually u won't need any, since mobs drop healthglobes on 50% and on death. Since u will be nuking mobs hard down, the globes come fast and heal u.

loh weapons are cheap if buy one without a socket..U could keep such a weapon in your bag when u think u need it, but your dps will drop alot.

mobs that do alot of damage u will be kiting so loh is useless there, mobs u dont need to kite,will die fast. A little bit of loh helps to stay in poison or molten for a bit so u have some regain. Don't count on loh to keep u alive.

There are alot of loh tank builds monk that still get killed with high resist. Because elites that kill u well loh don't work on them thats why u die anyway.

Its a playstyle thing, u learn how to beat each elite, some need kiting, others need pure dps in face..There three fat casters in heart of sin that oneshot u if their fast fireballs hit u ..

Either way, its impossible to do very high dps with loh as it takes damage stats place, im almost there that i dont need loh.. A bit more damage hehe

PS: the alternative for loh is pickupradius, get 1 item with pickupradius that will take healthglobes when they spawn, if u do good damage, the globes can in time and keep u healed as u kill mobs. Without pickupradius u wont be able to use globes who spawn behind mobs and thus might die in nasty situations
    High dps is the fun alternative to LoH. There are some others:

Life Steal (needs high dps to be efficient)
    Transcendence (better than one might think)
    Life regen on gear

Each health stat will cost you dps, I'm not sure which one is the cheapest. I've been trying to find both a decent Life Steal and a decent Life per Spirit weapon in the last days and wasn't very successful.
    My monk Vin
    Quote from NuGGiS

Hello

LoH doesn't work worth crap with a 2 handed weapon. A 2 handed weapon is awesome for life steal or for life on kill. If you have the burst potential to blow up mobs quick then life on kill is your best option in the game for farming. But if you are going for progression killing bosses and such you probably want to go with life steal.

My DH runs a 2h XBow with 3% life steal. My build centers on Crit and Crit damage. I can take a hit for near me entire health pool and have it all back in a matter of seconds without potting with my 1.15 attack speed.

You need to understand a few things though. Life on hit gives you a static amount of health back per attack that lands at least one hit, Meaning that if you are surrounded and you drop a big AoE move you are only getting back life based on hitting a single mob. This is great for dual wielding or for having a super fast attack speed, which a 2 hander does not. Life steal on the other hand steals life per point of damage done. This means when you are surrounded and you drop that big AoE you get HP back based on every point done to every mob near you. This is why if you are going with a slow 2 hander it will always net you more HP back then LoH. Even on bosses with a slow 2 hander you will get more HP back with lifesteal if you build for crit and crit damage (even with the Inferno difficulty level LS reduction), which I assume you are if you are using a 2 hander.

Edit: HAH! I apparently somehow glazed over an entire sentence in your post. Yeah, if you are using a 2 hander you should definitely look into Crit and crit damage. There are actually a lot of crit based builds going around for monks too, I am sure you can find one with a google search or perusing the monk forums. If you can stack crit and crit damage and stay with a 2 hander (preferably with a socket and life steal) then you are golden. I just looked on AH and there is a decent selection of 2 handers with sockets and lifesteal.
    get 2k life after each kill on each weapon, there are also lots of life after each kill on amuletts. very effective if you kill fast enough. i recommend 35k+ dps unbuffed if doing this.
    Transcendence is beastly and highly underrated. I used it on my bargain-bin mf monk with OwE and StI and the combination dragged me most of the way into act2 inferno (keep in mind her gear is worth less than 1m and it's very poorly itemized due to everything having MF).

LoH actually seems like a rather poor stat for monks. It isn't proc'd by cyclones (an absolutely jaw-dropping skill with a little crit) and between Blind, Serenity, and any other defensive cooldowns you can usually avoid taking big hits at all. Having more dps to nuke down a target will make you infinitely safer than having a little LoH and using auto-attacks to try and sustain when you should be kiting.
    Quote from proletaria

Transcendence is beastly and highly underrated. I used it on my bargain-bin mf monk with OwE and StI and the combination dragged me most of the way into act2 inferno (keep in mind her gear is worth less than 1m and it's very poorly itemized due to everything having MF).

LoH actually seems like a rather poor stat for monks. It isn't proc'd by cyclones (an absolutely jaw-dropping skill with a little crit) and between Blind, Serenity, and any other defensive cooldowns you can usually avoid taking big hits at all. Having more dps to nuke down a target will make you infinitely safer than having a little LoH and using auto-attacks to try and sustain when you should be kiting.

I just hit 60 on my Monk, and I have to agree that Life for Spirit spent is absolutely godlike. Took Transcendence, bought 2 cheap 60 LpS weapons and even got a helmet with it, putting me at 197 Life per Spirit spent. That's 29.5k heals from a full spiritbulb, 49k+ if you got the passive that raises your max Spirit to 250. I can't emphasize how much better bang for your buck this is compared to LoH.
    Barb @ 60 - Inferno DONE / Wiz @ 60 - Dancing in Whimsyshire / DH @ 60 - Inferno Act III / WD @ 60 - Inferno Act III / Monk @ 60 - Inferno DONE
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes