Lets talk about weapon speed

Hi everyone,

I recently decided that I don't want to play the tank anymore. I want to do damage, as much as possible. Even if that means slower progress. So after that I thought about upgrading my weapons and I realized that I am lacking a bit of knowledge on the perfect weapon speed while dual wielding.

Since the monk strikes atlernately which each weapon, it's obvious that a slow offhand could even slow down a fast mainhand (since the Mainhand has to wait). Is the same true for a slow mainhand?

In other words, is the optimal weapon speed MH=OH and both as fast as possible, or am I missing somewhat?

And does anybody know about the viability of 2h weapon? Right now I am 2h-ing though act 2 perfectly fine (act 3 is too much right now :( ), but I'm afraid that it might be a waste of money to upgrade my current 2h (1116dps, ~400 loh) since I need that doubled loh that I could get from two 1h weapons.
    The fastest possible weapons are best, especially if you have Life on Hit. More healing, and more 3 hit combos (since the final hit in the combo has a knockback, or a debuff, or something helpful for reducing damage taken).

Also the 'slow offhand slowing down the main hand' thing doesn't happen. You just have a generic Attacks per Second stat that your weapons contribute to, there's no seperate speeds for main and off hand attacks. It's all the exact same speed.

Essentially it works out that you want 2 daggers, since they're the fastest one handers. Attack speed, life on hit, and a socket and you're good to go (high DPS too obviously).

2 handers are usually way too slow to be of any use. Takes ages to swing, meaning it takes you longer to move out of stuff. It's just not nice.
    Quote from Kisho

Also the 'slow offhand slowing down the main hand' thing doesn't happen. You just have a generic Attacks per Second stat that your weapons contribute to, there's no seperate speeds for main and off hand attacks. It's all the exact same speed.

This is incorrect. If you have two weapons of different speeds the paper doll actually changes you atks per second stat everytime you swing, alternating speeds with every attack. You will alternate fast and slow hits and this can be seen in game.

Also to answer the 2 hander question, I have a friend who currently runs a two handed staff. The price on good 2 handed dex weapons is fairly low and can be quite effective if you are doing a build that doesn't focus on spirit spenders and uses stuff like ally and winds to do its primary damage.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes