My Inferno build aimed at both group & solo : debuff, resilience, mobility, uptime

Hey,
    based on what I could experience from the open beta & what I expect from inferno (= being one hell of a difficulty level), here's my build idea.
    edit : well, It ended up faaaaar longer than I expected !

Build link
    http://eu.battle.net...YcRh!ZeU!aZa.YY

2 generators :
    1st hit :
    Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap : incredible mobility (teleport almost all the time)
    2nd hit :
    Crippling Wave + Concussion : ubber target debuff (-20% attack speed AND -20% dmg )
    3rd hit : whatever you prefer depending on situation (I'd go for Crippling Wave, since it stuns)

2 defensive :
    Blinding Flash + anything (I went for Self Reflection for extra time, but nothing set in stone) : to initiate fights right after teleporting into it
    Inner Sanctuary + Circle of Protection : Give great zone protection boost for quite a long time. Possibility to go for Serenity too, to be tested)

and
    Tempest Rush + anything : best escape ever (especially with Slipstream (-25% dmg taken)) : avoids 100% monster collision.
    Mantra of Evasion + Perseverance : because dodge is 100% damage avoided & -20% time being crowd controlled at the highest difficulty level is mandatory for a group.

Passive
    Resolve : I think -25% damage done is mandatory in Inferno for a group. Great with Tempest rush. Super great with Crippling Wave. Awesome with Fist of Thunder teleport to go debuff the ranged dudes while the melee monsters are being slowed by your teammates.
    Pacifism (-75% dmg received under CC) : Inferno monsters having loads of CC, I expect this to be mandatory to survive. Dying by being helpless because you got 2 chain fears is pissing (that's why I prefer this passive over Serenity which has a cooldown).
    One With Everything (all resist = your max resist) : I don't see how we can expect to go to Inferno without this passive. It allows you to buy shitload of item stats for not having to deal with 4 resists but only 1.

-----------------
    Philosophy :
    As said briefly above, the goal of this build is to be effective in Inferno.
    It's based on expected real difficult situations : being caught by a wall of tanks while rangers rip you apart, being chained-CC by a mean elite pack, dealing with monstruous boss elemental damage under CC, being stuck between a wall and two dozens angry 2-handed-giantsworded goats.

First, I don't think having +50% or +75% overall damage matters in inferno if the first 3sec fear that lands on you face gets you killed. Having a standard DPS and being able to survive 5 times the damage a DPS monk can take may get you win in the end.
    Second, debuffs on enemies benefit for the whole group while personal buffs don't (being armor/dodge or damage ones).
    Third, running is slacking : you're only effective when you're doing something. Running to targets is good for Barbarians with their jump on cooldown.

Combat
    Initiation : teleport into the pack to avoid ranged damage and instantly apply all the debuffs. Tough packs can get a nasty blind to teach them some respect to light.
    In case a 2nd line of powerful ranged is targetting you, just teleport to them to debuff them while the melee try to catch up with you.
    In group, if another melee initiates, teleporting right after him is also godsend. Be sure to wait for his first CC before you send your blind. Teleport & blind powerful ranged to buy your group some time to get rid of the melee minions. You should teleport back after your blind to debuff melee for a few seconds, then go back to debuffing ranged.

Middle fight : when CCs fade, use Inner Sanctuary to maximize group protection while most enemies are still up. Your role during combat is to maximize the number of enemies you hit to debuff them.
    Your teleport allows you to travel from pack to pack (2 or 3 max) to keep all debuffs up.
    Refresh Mantra of Evasion when going back to melee packs if your spirit is over the roof.

Stuck : Use Tempest Rush

CCed : I don't care, I have Pacifism

Stuff
    Go for IAS (increased attack speed) to be able to teleport like crazy, maximize the stuns of your Crippling wave and regenerate spirit.
    Go for 1 resist only maxed out to be maxed out on every resist thanks to One With Everything.
    Might have to go for increased globe health & find.

Pros
    + this build can be completed @lvl50 ! Just in time for Hell !
    + Nearly all of it is less than lvl 30 too.
    + use whatever weapon you want (go for 1h+shield if you want ubber armor !)
    + aimed at both Solo AND Group. Keep your playstyle on the cutting edge by not having to switch all the time !
    + no heals !

Cons
    - no heals (but you can still tweak Inner Sanctuary).
    - moderately difficult playstyle.
    - slower than great dps + teleport builds in lower difficulty levels

edit bonus : the group utility was built with group synergy in mind, aimed for inferno, that I & awesome posters have summarized for you here : http://www.diablofan...pril-13th-2012/
    Not a single opinion on this ? :(
    Personally, I'd drop fists of thunder for dashing strike -- the spirit spent isn't a big deal, and you can rune it either for reduced spirit or dodge, which would be handy for jumping in the fray and not getting destroyed by hits before you get crippling up. You'll be spamming crippling wave to keep up the debuff, so I feel like dashing strike is a better teleport option.

I would change a passive to the one that prevents death, because that might be handy -- depends on the monster burst potential in inferno, and how bad CC is vs resistance management vs dying immediately to something dumb.

I'd also change inner sanctuary to serenity, since serenity will block projectiles and prevent boss damage, whereas I don't know how much that circle will keep things out (a lot of this stuff has yet to be tested).

Con of your build is going to be god-awful damage obviously, since you dont have solid damage dumps or single target abilities. I guess this goes with the territory of high survival.
    Quote from Alopex

Personally, I'd drop fists of thunder for dashing strike -- the spirit spent isn't a big deal, and you can rune it either for reduced spirit or dodge, which would be handy for jumping in the fray and not getting destroyed by hits before you get crippling up. You'll be spamming crippling wave to keep up the debuff, so I feel like dashing strike is a better teleport option.

I would change a passive to the one that prevents death, because that might be handy -- depends on the monster burst potential in inferno, and how bad CC is vs resistance management vs dying immediately to something dumb.

I'd also change inner sanctuary to serenity, since serenity will block projectiles and prevent boss damage, whereas I don't know how much that circle will keep things out (a lot of this stuff has yet to be tested).

Con of your build is going to be god-awful damage obviously, since you dont have solid damage dumps or single target abilities. I guess this goes with the territory of high survival.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I feel that being able to hit all the time and free teleports everywhere will almost completely compensate le low damage output I may have.

Agreed for Serenity, at least it negates all damage, and not just melee ones.

Replace Fist of Thunder with Dashing Strike... I don't know.
    It allows me to teleport, do 110% damage and generate spirit while dashing strike allows me to teleport, do 100% damage and spend 25 spirit (and 20% dodge...). Why not, but I fear that it wouldn't fit my gameplay that relies on teleporting every 2 second. I fear it would cost me way too much spirit to be useful, and if I rune it to dump spirit cost, I'd lose the 20% dodge, so...
    The reason why I dropped blinding flash from my build is that you cancel out your own debuffs when using it. Example: An enemy can't have both lower attackspeed and be blinded at the same time.
    You make some interesting points in your post. That said, the teleport on Fists of Thunder has a very small range, so I don't think it will be useful for escapes; more of a walking-around convenience. You have tons of great defensive skills, but I think you need at least one strong attack. Before I played the beta I was hoping Temple Rush would be the monk's equivalent to the barb's Whirlwind, but it's really not (dealing 1/2 to 1/3 of the damage of WW). It's a CC/escape skill.
    Quote from Raskolnikov

You make some interesting points in your post. That said, the teleport on Fists of Thunder has a very small range

Not so much. It as quite long actually. I could teleport really far for a free spammable resource-generator skill.
    Quote from Raskolnikov
    , so I don't think it will be useful for escapes;

I use it for :
    - uptime
    - quickly reach melee range
    - cross enemies lines to reach the enemy I want to kill (mabe very powerful ranges that tear me apart behind a thick melee line)
    Quote from Raskolnikov
    more of a walking-around convenience. You have tons of great defensive skills, but I think you need at least one strong attack.

I didn't think so because up the uptime I'm building my monk for. Maybe seven-sided strike if it put me out of combat during the animation.
    Quote from Raskolnikov
    Before I played the beta I was hoping Temple Rush would be the monk's equivalent to the barb's Whirlwind, but it's really not (dealing 1/2 to 1/3 of the damage of WW). It's a CC/escape skill.
    That's exactly how I'm using it. It's damage is extreme crap. It's mobility is beyond awesome.
    Changes :
    - inner sanctuary -> serenity (the REAL "oh shit" button)
    - mantra of evasion -> mantra of conviction (so many debuff and survivability that I realized it would be useless to dodge a few debuffed shots, where I could be punching much harder instead)

updated build :
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWYcgk!ZeU!aZa.c
    Quote from Gryzorz

Changes :
    - inner sanctuary -> serenity (the REAL "oh shit" button)
    - mantra of evasion -> mantra of conviction (so many debuff and survivability that I realized it would be useless to dodge a few debuffed shots, where I could be punching much harder instead)

updated build :
    http://eu.battle.net...WYcgk!ZeU!aZa.c

I agree with this, you could then use the Submission rune for conviction (the one that deals 12% damage/sec as holy) to keep Resolve very active.
    I have a similar build as yours but little bit more offensive, i am going with FoT:thunderclap with WotHf:Windforce, one skill i am still uncertain about, dashing strike vrs Lashing Tail kick. Dashing strike to allow me to dash to archers/casters in the background, because FoT gets stopped by the front wave.

I think if you want to add more damage with your control you could use Lashing Tail Kick instead of just Tempest rush, due to Lashing Tail Kick having a nice aoe knock-back. Basic strategy would be Teleport, Lashing kick, move forward to next units.. continue until the unit you are aiming for.

Once the game comes out i will try to see how the FoT:thunderclap, and then Lashing Tail Kick combo works in view of getting to the background casters, if it doesn't then i might be using dashing/tempest when in bind, hopefully it works well.
    Meh i would take Dashing strike over tempest rush any day. Since it ports you right behind an enemy you can just keep porting around to get away.

I might honestly focus on a big tanking build for inferno. Stack hardcore dodge from the Crit --> Dodge passive. Mantra of evasion and the dodge rune on Dashing strike.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes