[Build] The Ultimate Melee Assassin [Videos]

Greetings, this is a build I was having fun with since the release of RoS, and I decided to share it. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#gfSXeO!cSXf!abZacY

Let me start off with a video: this is a Torment 2 speed run, with Vault + Tactical advantage instead of Smoke screen.
    http://youtu.be/SdMAx_z5u90

And this is a Torment 3 rift run with the usual build:
    http://youtu.be/tIVHxXDyknY

And this is Torment 3 Adria boss fight with Single Out instead of Perfectionist.
    http://youtu.be/dmaSscMzNUY

Things to note about this build:
    1) Your sheet dps will be low because most damage modifiers are hidden.

• 40% Fan of knives damage on BELT
    • 15% Fan of knives damage on SHOULDERS
    • 15% Fan of knives damage on CHEST*
    • 20% Physical damage on BRACERS
    • 20% Physical damage on HELM
    • 20% Physical damage on SHIELD*
    • 5-20% Physical damage on RINGS/AMULET*
    • 372% Weapon damage proc on THUNDERFURY
    • 130% Weapon damage proc on ANDARIEL'S VISAGE
    • 20% Damage from CULL OF THE WEAK
    • 40% Burst damage from AMBUSH
    * currently don't have it on those items.

So if you are the kind of person that likes to see big numbers when you open your inventory then I'm afraid this build isn't going to cut it. For comparison, in cluster arrow spec, with practically the same gear I have 1,119,039 sheet dps.

2) Currently due to a bug I can't test my Thunderfury with % damage since it has an elemental damage affix. So for now i have it enchanted to 10% resource reduction.

3) Chakram - Shuriken Cloud and Fan of knives are not affected by attack speed. Chakram deals damage per second regardless of your attack speed. And Fan of knives will attack at the same rate regardless of your attack speed. Hence slow weapons will do much better with this build. Thunderfury being an exception, because it makes up for it with the proc.

4) Fan of knives can be cast while channeling/attacking. That's why you can generate hatred and while casting Fan of knives - This adds a lot of effective dps.

5) When using Fan of Knives, even the first/initial cast takes advantage of Cull Of The Weak passive.

Itemization:
    There are few legendaries that make this build significantly better.

• Sash of knives
    • Andariel's Visage
    • Reaper's Wraps (if you are not using these you will need to swap one of the passives for Blood vengeance)
    Although Thunderfury is more fun to use in my opinion, you can use any kind of weapon, ideally a slow one (two handed crossbow, mace, spear or even bow) here is a video with a two handed crossbow:
    http://youtu.be/jH-QaNh63Vk

Ranged Weapon
    Pros:

• Larger variety of hatred generators
    • More burst damage
    • Able to use archery passive
    • Stats on Quiver (although attack speed doesn't really matter as explained above)
    • Higher Sheet dps
    • Easier to get good legendaries (no need to farm on a monk)
    One handed and Shield
    Pros:

• More toughness
    • Some fun legendaries (i.e. Thunderfury)
    • Looks cool
    • Block chance on shield
    • More sustained damage (smooth gameplay)
    Thoughts behind ability choice

Hatred generator For Thunderfury the only options are bola shot and grenades. Grenade - tinkerer, makes the build much smoother since it gives twice the hatred of other generators.

For Ranged weapon I personally go for justice is served, you could experiment with other generators depending on which quiver (or kridershot) you have. Also, on a paper Evasive fire - Hardened seems to be an ideal choice, gives extra def, deals 200% weapon damage, does physical damage which goes well with your gear, and generates 4 hatred. What's not to like? But in practice it makes the build feel more clunky and slow. That's why i stick with 6 per shot hatred generators. (Also entangling shot takes advantage of Cull of the weak passive at a distance, if you were to kite)

Fan of Knives - Knives Expert
    Bread and butter of the build.

Chakram - Shuriken Cloud
    Adds more effective dps, procs legendary bonuses, and destroys destructible objects without the need to click (keep doors, urns, barrels etc..)

Smoke Screen - Displacement or Vault -Tumble
    I take Vault for speed farming lower difficulty levels, while smoke screen with displacement helps me survive at higher difficulties and adds a little speed boost (use with tactical advantage for crazy run speeds).

Companion - Bat
    Adds extra hatred regen per sec, 50 hatred active, and some auto-attack damage. Overall makes the build smoother.

Vengeance - Seethe
    Great cooldown for elite packs and bosses, adds a lot of dps and regenerates hatred.

Cull of the weak
    Adds 20% damage to the build since fan of knives slows enemies.

Ambush
    Great for clearing white mobs in a single hit. On bosses/elites it comes down to 10% damage increase, since 40% for 25% of the fight.

Night Stalker
    Helps with Vaulting and keeping up Smoke Screen, otherwise you would have to wait for your discipline to regenerate.

Perfectionist, Archery or Tactical Advantage
    Perfectionist if you need extra toughness (also helps with discipline pooling when running one handed and shield - no max discipline)

Archery when using ranged weapon for extra damage

Tactical Advantage when Speed farming

I think that's all, try it out and have fun slaying demons. I will answer questions if any arise.

My Bnet profile:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Weaver-2272/hero/444586
    Last edited by Danthelion: 4/10/2014 2:39:18 PM
    Been doing a very similar build since a week or so back, got triple grenades instead of tinkerer. It's great fun! :3 I approve <3

edit: oh yeah, and i got healing vapors.
    Last edited by seen.Temujin: 4/11/2014 12:34:02 AM
    Nice build! I supose ill be spamming 1H's from kadala on my monk and pray for a thunderfury. Was initially planning to go for a shield build aswell considering you'd take alot more damage as a FOK build but wasnt quite sure which shield to go for. I didnt even know a +Phys dmg shield existed so I supose ill be spamming Kadala for those.

Im curious tho as to why you took Vengeance over Prep-Punishment as Vengeance has a really high CD. It's alright to burst down a champ pack but considering you'll fight champs every 20 seconds in rifts it doesnt seem worth it to me. It may even be better to get Turret with dmg reduction or boar with resist and taunt depending on your current resistance.
    Quote from Rxr

Nice build! I supose ill be spamming 1H's from kadala on my monk and pray for a thunderfury. Was initially planning to go for a shield build aswell considering you'd take alot more damage as a FOK build but wasnt quite sure which shield to go for. I didnt even know a +Phys dmg shield existed so I supose ill be spamming Kadala for those.

Im curious tho as to why you took Vengeance over Prep-Punishment as Vengeance has a really high CD. It's alright to burst down a champ pack but considering you'll fight champs every 20 seconds in rifts it doesnt seem worth it to me. It may even be better to get Turret with dmg reduction or boar with resist and taunt depending on your current resistance.

Great, that's exactly how I got my thunderfury, kadala on a monk. Yep, there are some nice shields that would help with the build, 20% physical damage, chance to summon 400% wpn damage wolf when blocking, or things like stormshield/wall of man for extra def.

I didn't take punishment because with a melee weapon you are at 30 disc, or slightly above that. Prep takes 25 disc. so in order to use it you have to have your disc almost full. And with night stalker you simply can't regenerate disc fast enough to use vault/SS and prep at the same time, you could swap it for those spells, but then you run into mobility issues.
    Some people were concerned with the single target dps of this build. Here is a test video comparing few different options.
    http://youtu.be/7WAiCTPza1U

Thoughts:

Don't take this as a benchmark for how well you can farm, there are many other factors involved in farming rifts/bounties.

Fok build with a 2h Crossbow seems to be as good as a cluster arrow build even for single targets. The drawback is that you have to stand close.

Dps with 1handed and shield seems slightly lower, but don't forget you are trading some damage for a lot of def. Plus, my Thunderfury is pretty bad.

As expected 1handed crossbow did slightly worse (even though my sheet dps was higher) due to the way chakram and FoK ignore attack speed.

It's not on the video but 1 handed crossbow and shield was 34 seconds.

Edit: Andybmcc on Reddit posted this, I thought it was interesting and possibly another variation of this build.

I run something similar, it's an absolute blast.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Andarius-1598/hero/45394806
    FoK seems to cast based solely on MH, so I tossed a ruby in that and went with an OH with crit damage. I've shuffled some things around a bit, and my CHC is kind of low right now, but it works great.

Sheet dps is low, but it blows up elites pretty well.

Last edited by Danthelion: 4/11/2014 8:59:43 AM
    Thoughts on using calamity as MH as the 20% proc would make up for a lot of the disadvantages of a 1H xbow? Thinking calamity+shield might trump thunderfury+shield even?

Try putting fan of knives on left mouse button :P

Thoughts on using calamity as MH as the 20% proc would make up for a lot of the disadvantages of a 1H xbow? Thinking calamity+shield might trump thunderfury+shield even?

Could work, I think good calamity = good thunderfury.
    Last edited by Danthelion: 4/12/2014 5:42:53 AM
    Quote from Hartowag
    Try putting fan of knives on left mouse button :P

I've got mine set to auto-hotkey script that presses it multiple times while I hold down the button.
    im using this build right now..

it is very fun and different from the other cookie cutter build.

As of now, i seriously lacking the gears to maximize this build potential.
    Last edited by Swordsman83: 4/13/2014 12:29:41 PM
    Cool thread , just found it. I also run this build. I'm having an issue on weapons though. Not sure what is the max potential for melee fan builds.

We should start a BIS list like other builds have going.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DirtyLarry-1533/hero/4488720
    Last edited by DirtyLarry: 4/13/2014 2:47:09 PM
    Looks fun, but a little slow compared to a regular CA build. Maybe i'll try it someday on my 2nd DH since I think i have a few FoK items in my stash :)
    Too casual to upload anything new these days.
    Do you know, this bulld can be really good for my HC DH - a shield can roll physical damage and gives great survivability, some melee weapon have great CC stats on (like azurewrath) but i can also stay with a 1hand xbow and CA with missiles using another rune for FoK a changing some bonuses here and there.

Definitely worth trying.
    Picked up couple of pieces. gave it a go. loving it

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sena-1364/hero/1171154

Pox Fauld is actually really nice, there is also those pants from A5 cache that converts all LPS into aoe physical dmg. could look into that.
    This is the most fun build for the DH. Going back to this even if CA snorefest is faster.
    Last edited by DirtyLarry: 4/23/2014 10:59:41 AM
    Does noone else play this? :D
    It would be cool if you as a DH could get melee weapons off Kalada...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes