Skill bonus: Elemental arrow or hungering arrow?

Im looking to upgrade my DML quiver and a stone of jordan with around 25% skill bonus to either elemental arrow or hungering arrow.

But is it even a stat worth going for and which of two is the best to aim for?

I settled on elemetal arrow first, as its the skill I use the most, but after having looked on a few top DHs on diabloprogress, it seems most people use DML with hungering arrow bonus!

Any inputs would be very helpful :-)

Bnet: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tr0lle-2736/hero/18601198

Dprogress: http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/tr0lle-2736/Greedy/18601198
    Im going for hungering arrow too since its the hatred gen of my choice and i dont change that within my build. But from time to time im switching the spenders...
    Words of wisdom: Don't follow the advice of people who won't have to deal with the consequences.
    Good point shinna, I dont think I will change out HA either, compared to switching spenders!

Right now im also leaning towards HA..
    Had elemental but switched to hungering solely because i´m using that hatred generator 90% of my playing time..and it's free to use so u get the most bang for the buck.
    I would also opt for Hungering Arrow damage bonus because it is still DH's number 1 hatred generator in terms of pure DPS. I would also consider the fact that AE is an AOE that is supposed to deal with many low HP targets, therefore, extra damage on BL does not matter much--you farm most in places and MP level where you kill stuff in 2 or 3 AE at most. On the other hand, HA is used to kill high HP targets such as elites, champions and bosses.

I would love to get extra damage to Cluster Arrow but such bonus is not available...shame!
    is bola shot even viable?
    A case can be made for EA- very useful in ubers when killing adds, killing packs in higher MP key runs, etc.

It really depends on your playstyle. If I had my way I'd have both and switch, encounter/game dependant.

Can't get away from HA being the generator and single target master, however. Even though so many use Spray of Teeth on a single target vs. Cinder Arrow (check the spreadsheet, it's huge).
    Conform or be cast out.

My Demon Hunter: http://tinyurl.com/anufqzj

Demon Hunter spreadsheet by Dretar http://www.diablofans.com/topic/46517-demon-hunter-dps-calculator/
    Quote from dalkan13

is bola shot even viable?

Bola shot's archilles is the 1 or 2 second delay. Whether it is viable very much depends on playstyle.

Speed farm/xp runs at MP0-2? forget it. The 1 or 2 delay slows you down too much.

To be frank however, why would you need the extra damage when you one-shot everything anyway? I use HA/EA-Ball at low MP's and one-shot most things.

I prefer playing higher mps' - 5 to7. At those MP's, I find HA/EA just don't have the damage output of Bola with imminent doom. I use a SOJ with Bola dmg. works a treat.

Here is my skill setup for higher MP's: us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQgRVk!fUe!caYcbc
    The way I see it, for high-speed farming of low MP settings, Elemental Arrow (or another hatred spender of your choice) is the way to go, because you rarely run out of hatred and you need to frontload your damage.

For high MP settings and Ubers (any sustained DPS scenario), Hungering Arrow (or Bola or something) will be slightly better, because you want to continue to deliver the pain even when you run out of hatred.
    I use Hungering Arrow because its my spam. I also dont use elemental arrow, i use cluster bomb > Loaded for bear for bigger numbers.
    Hungering Arrow. Ball lightning is only used to kill trash, Elites and whatnot you just kill with either clusters or spiketrap. Also, you cast alot more HA's than EA's over the course of a run, and you're gonna have to use them anyways, on both trash and elites.

EA bonus damage is a bit wasted in my opinion.
    If all you want is low mp exp farming, EA is the choice. However if you are considering high mp level 7 and up, bola shot is the one you need to look into.
    As for your hatred dump, use Spike trap - echoning blast.
    i wouldnt say bola is terrible for low mp, with volatile explosive 2 shots usually cleans a whole room of non-elites
    Quote from nights

i wouldnt say bola is terrible for low mp, with volatile explosive 2 shots usually cleans a whole room of non-elites

I dont want to go off-topic much but my problem with Bola Shot or in fact any other skill than Hungering Arrow is that they are not guided. It might be just me getting too reliant on the guiding ability but without it I feel like wasting most of my shots.

Bola Shot is also way too slow for low MP (0-2) because HA can take care of elite pack in matter of 2-3 seconds after I unload my hatred bar-2 Cluster Arrows.
    like hungering more
    isn't hungering arrow our single highest dps? (assuming we also have unlimited hatred)

Bola doesn't seem like it takes attack speed that well..

plus hungering can pierce multiple times (I usually see 2-3-4x most often..)
    Quote from fulken

isn't hungering arrow our single highest dps? (assuming we also have unlimited hatred)

Hungering Arrow (HA) is probably still our #1 DPS hatred generator and the most universal one. Bola Shot (BS) might produce higher damage output in certain situations--such as high MP and AOE--but it is nowhere near as versatile as HA.

If we would have unlimited hatred, our highest damage skill would be either Cluster Arrow or Impale, again depending on the situation.

I currently, and for very long time, use HA: Devouring Arrow but I'm thinking about changing the rune to Spray of Teeth to see how it works on MP1-2 fast farming runs. Devouring Arrow is still the rune to go for high MP and uber bosses.
    Quote from baron01

Quote from fulken

Hungering Arrow (HA) is probably still our #1 DPS hatred generator and the most universal one. Bola Shot (BS) might produce higher damage output in certain situations--such as high MP and AOE--but it is nowhere near as versatile as HA.

If we would have unlimited hatred, our highest damage skill would be either Cluster Arrow or Impale, again depending on the situation.

I currently, and for very long time, use HA: Devouring Arrow but I'm thinking about changing the rune to Spray of Teeth to see how it works on MP1-2 fast farming runs. Devouring Arrow is still the rune to go for high MP and uber bosses.

I think you would benefit heavily from changing to spray of teeth due to the AOE it provides...for me, with 14% bonus to HA on my DML, it does more or less the same damage to packs as ball of lightning does when playing on MP2 (not in terms of actual numbers but i blast equally big packs of mobs into smithereens as i do with EA)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes