Build: The 1.0.5 Whirlwind DH, at long last!

Hello guys! I started a thread over at incgamers so I'll post one here too. :D

In 1.0.5 (so far on the PTR), the DH saw some lovely changes. Strafe had its cost reduced, Perfectionist got buffed, Gloom got quasi-buffed, Sentry got buffed and we can have 2 out vanilla, we got cool new pets and other stuff. Strafe also got the ability to WW through mobs, meaning you can cram in a lot more hits.

First, the skills overview:

Passives
    Archery, Vengeance, Nightstalker
    Variants: Perfectionist (gear dependent)

Nighstalker fuels discipline as you rake in the crits from various skills (mostly Strafe)..

Actives
    1) Chakram - Shuriken Cloud; free damage, 33% proc scalar, breaks destructibles for you, and looks awesome
    Variants: none

2) Strafe - Demolition; strafe into mobs, it will AoE lots of them for great damage (see: demolish), 50% proc coefficient
    Variants: none; Emberstrafe would be great if the fire trail could proc crits and did more damage, but alas it does none of those things and behaves similarly to the nerfed Trail of Cinders.

3) Shadow Power - Gloom; Mitigates damage and heals for tough spots
    Variants: probably none, only possible with very high-end gear and LoH

4) Companion - Bat; Hatred regen
    Variants: Boar (gear dependent)

5) Preparation - Punishment; use it as your hatred extinguishes to fill it back up
    Variants: SS/Vault if 2H Crossbow, see further down

6) Personal choice:
    Sentry - Chain of Torment; The chain has a 75% proc coefficient (LoH, Crits) and deals good damage
    Sentry - Guardian Turret; plop one of these in a mob to WW inside it
    Rain of Vengeance - Dark Cloud; free damage that follows you
    SS - Lingering Fog
    Vault - Tumble, Acrobatics

-- You will use a 1H:
    ** 1H/shield for crit chance on shield and defensive stats
    ** 1H/Quiver for hatred regen on quiver, IAS, and crit chance
    ** 1H/1H for maximum life/hit and other goodies at the cost of crit chance and defense

-- Depending on playstyle and character durability, you may need at least one skill like SS or Vault to break Jailer, etc. Some DHs will just be able to tank through getting CC'd, though.

Video of functional 1H/Shield with no Life on Hit, 40k dps (courtesy Poekel):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MVbpj0zR_yI

So of course, you'll gear with defense in mind. You'll need LoH. Get your crit chance high to fuel discipline (1H crossbow with Archery for +10%, btw). Use discipline to fuel hatred. Use hatred to fuel strafe. Use strafe to explode things.

Also, strafe can get "+% increased crit chance" on Cloaks and stuff like SoJ.

Happy demolishing!
    The final test of the Serpent's Form takes place in "The Pit of 12 Vipers." The initiates are not told about the 13th.
    Its still just a "fun" build imo. If u really want to demolish ull probably will need an old good HA+EA with first rune.
    Nah. This works great. HA/EA is boring, this works just as well :) You should try it!
    The final test of the Serpent's Form takes place in "The Pit of 12 Vipers." The initiates are not told about the 13th.
    Works quite good.. on monster level 3.. but I still die quite often http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Archey-2692/hero/12692894
    Reflects damage, molten, and plagued are really tough for this build. Fun to play though!
    Quote from JohnG

Reflects damage, molten, and plagued are really tough for this build. Fun to play though!

shadow power works quite good with RD, in case of moltens and plagued you have to dance around the ''danger pool'' :)
    I like Shadow Power for RD as WizArt said, but with 2.8% Leech and life on hit I don't need it. If your fire resist/LoH is low you shouldn't be stafing into molten or you'll get fried pretty quick!
    Thanks to a lucky drop I was able to get some nice tank equip so power level 2 is getting quite farmable now. I uploaded another vid on youtube (Alkaizer route so efficiency should be somewhat comparable):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbpj0zR_yI

Current build:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Poekel-2407/hero/231168
    In both of your videos there is a yellow mouse cursor marker, is this additional software, or a new ptr client option i can't find?

Thanks in advance.
    Oh, that's the software (think I can disable it somewhere). Didn't want to pay for FRAPS so I used a free one (BB Flashback Express, more hardware demanding than FRAPS but imho still quite good compared to the other free recording programs I tried).
    1.0.5 is live, have fun blowing things up everyone!
    Could people just stop advertising their builds as "Whirlwind" builds? It's getting annoying since none of those builds ever came close to the playstyle, let alone the efficiency of a real Whirlwind build.
    Quote from GT4

Could people just stop advertising their builds as "Whirlwind" builds? It's getting annoying since none of those builds ever came close to the playstyle, let alone the efficiency of a real Whirlwind build.

I guess you mean the Run like the Wind build that uses Whirlwind as means of moving when you talk about the "real Whirlwind build"? ;)
    Quote from LordPoekel

Quote from GT4

I guess you mean the Run like the Wind build that uses Whirlwind as means of moving when you talk about the "real Whirlwind build"? ;)

Considering there's only one Whirlwind build that is played by 90% of all Barbarians, I doubt there's much space for misunderstandings.
    So which Strafe rune do you think is more efficient for this build - Demolition or the new Emberstrafe rune?

P.S. this build in 1.0.5. (MP1) is as efficient as barbs WW build..
    this build is fantastic fun. Geared my DH out to try it and it works beautifully.

Thanks for this.
    I agree that this might be a fun build to try in order to break the regular monotony of farming, but it seems to me that it will cause a lot of horrible, horrible death..
    ahh lol...

i was running with a similar built yesterday.. its fun on mp5
    but for ubers you cant play like that..

the dmg output is gross

and i did it with my normal gear..
    manticore+dml xD
    This is only a fun gimmick it peforms quite horrible compared to a wide range of other builds.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nugiyen-1382/

Looking for EU people to team up with - ( Only top of the line players from EU )
    Quote from nugiyen

This is only a fun gimmick it peforms quite horrible compared to a wide range of other builds.

sign
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes