Need gear tips to farm act 3 efficiently.

Hello!.

I just cleared act 3 inferno for the first time today. I'm looking for some help on which stats to look for and how much I approximately need to farm it efficiently. I think I died like 20-30 times doing it the first time mostly in the end of the act. Any ideas which pieces I need to upgrade asap and which pieces I can keep for the moment?

Any help is much appreciated ^^

Link to my profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Lorten-2242/hero/10597866
    You need at least:

35%+ Crit
    300% + Crit Damage
    300 + All Resistance
    23k hp +
    1600+ Dexterity

and you will probably still die because some affixes are just nasty.

If you don't want to do AR you can go glass cannon but in my opinion I like staying around 300 AR some people don't like AR at all.
    I agree that +all res would definitely help you out. I also noticed that you don't have any gear with +discipline on it. That is crucial to staying alive and it is a pretty cheap fix. I found a pretty decent quiver on the AH for 400K. I would definitely recommend getting a new quiver and chest armor that have +discipline and hatred regen. +Elemental arrow damage and crit chance would also be nice but that really raises the price.

I would also suggest using battle scars instead of backup plan with your preparation skill. This is really useful in staying alive when you can get 60% health back. I don't think backup plan is consistent enough to really be viable.

I also prefer 2h bows because of their percent damage bonus. Critical damage is nice but damage increase for every hit is much more useful in my opinion. I also think 2h crossbows look stupid, but that is a style preference, lol. Hope the advice helps!

P.S. I routinely farm act 3 and 4 without much issue and have beaten inferno multiple times.
    Personally I used to run with 2-300ar and it was fine, but after 1.04 I find I can run with pretty much ~150-200ar and can blast through anything.

Looking at your profile I think its more than enough for act3, but like the poster above, I would definitely get more disc gear, i had 50-60disc before I collect the nat 4set.
    Getting a cold weapon on your follower helps a ton as well, just any cold weapon will do :P

Best of luck with farming :)
    Quote from Yay

Personally I used to run with 2-300ar and it was fine, but after 1.04 I find I can run with pretty much ~150-200ar and can blast through anything.

Looking at your profile I think its more than enough for act3, but like the poster above, I would definitely get more disc gear, i had 50-60disc before I collect the nat 4set.
    Getting a cold weapon on your follower helps a ton as well, just any cold weapon will do :P

Best of luck with farming :)

I would say there's quite a difference farming A3 with or without nat's disc regen.

I run a build with ~400ar, 3.2k armor,~35k hp and 65k damage. With that setup I don't die a whole lot. Only phasebeast packs, some packs with nasty affix combo's and not paying attention cause deaths. :P
    I want to test replacing smokescreen with shadow power / gloom to see how that works with my current set up.
    I have 80k dps, 4pc old Nat, 40k HP and 200ra. I use cold weapon and cult the weak this make me over 90k dps. After the patch it is just not fun at all I just go smash everything constant without stop. The only way to die is to do something stupid like don't see on time reflect or deplete my disc and miss prep on time. I use NT and HA cos they benefit from cold weapon and Vault with flame rune. With my setup I can easy tank Diablo, after the patch it is really boring no challange at all.
    Quote from NeonodeII

I have 80k dps, 4pc old Nat, 40k HP and 200ra. I use cold weapon and cult the weak this make me over 90k dps. After the patch it is just not fun at all I just go smash everything constant without stop. The only way to die is to do something stupid like don't see on time reflect or deplete my disc and miss prep on time. I use NT and HA cos they benefit from cold weapon and Vault with flame rune. With my setup I can easy tank Diablo, after the patch it is really boring no challange at all.

Well, old Nats is nice and dandy. It probably makes your nearly immortal but it cost you a lot of DPS/survival stats. Killing stuff is important part of efficient farming but there is 2nd half of the equation to be considered. This is magic find because no matter how fast you kill stuff, if you dont have 250% MF you are not doing it efficiently. Legacy 4P Nats, unless you were grossly rich to afford high rolled pieces with MF, simply limits your gear choices to an extent it is detrimental to your farming efficiency.
    I have similar stats, if not tad better, but I run with 255MF baseline. I still can upgrade few pieces with relative ease, the only limiting factor is my ability to afford those upgrades.

To the OP:
    You can look for 1300+ DPS weapon with socket but you probably need to run it through DPS calculator to see if the loss of crit damage is offset by higher DPS. 1300+ DPS crossbow with CHD and socket will be super expensive.

I would also consider replacing either Shadow Power (preferably) or Smoke Screen to other skill. I see little benefit in running 4 Disc spenders, of which these 2 should be "oh-shit" button. I believe Smoke Screen is just better in that category. You can try Impale, Spike Traps or Rain of Vengeance in that slot for some added damage or survival.
    Oney one think I don't agree that Old Nat reduce my DPS, yes it reduce what the picture show but overal dps output is more.
    Once you go 4pc Nat you simply can't go back... And legacy nat definitely increase your dps :P more disc = more surv = more time to dps :D
    Smoke Screen is NOT better than Shadow Power Gloom. If you're dying to things like Jailer and Mortars you might be playing the wrong class. We're strictly speaking a shake and bake class. Gloom is there to offset the massive amount of reflect damage you will take at the start of a pack and kill its minions faster. The only thing that Smoke Screen does for you is encourage reckless gameplay which doesn't make you a better player. Instead you rely on a crutch that costs a lot of discipline for no return because you can't identify the problem you're having which is a lack of kiting skill. You want to tank and spank mobs play one of the other 4 cheese mode classes.
    Quote from Patriarch_Kain

Smoke Screen is NOT better than Shadow Power Gloom. If you're dying to things like Jailer and Mortars you might be playing the wrong class. We're strictly speaking a shake and bake class. Gloom is there to offset the massive amount of reflect damage you will take at the start of a pack and kill its minions faster. The only thing that Smoke Screen does for you is encourage reckless gameplay which doesn't make you a better player. Instead you rely on a crutch that costs a lot of discipline for no return because you can't identify the problem you're having which is a lack of kiting skill. You want to tank and spank mobs play one of the other 4 cheese mode classes.
    Smoke Screen is encouraging tanking and Shadow power proper kiting? I think you got it wrong dude. If anything it is Shadow Power: Gloom (SP) that gave birth to some obscure tanking builds. It is SP that in fact promotes reckless gameplay because you can sustain hits with SP up that would otherwise kill you. You dont have to kite as effectively because you can tank trash and with proper build and gear you can even tank elites. You tank with Shadow Power: Gloom.

I admit I wish I had Shadow Power: Gloom when I encounter 4th pack with damage reflect (spice it up with extra health or horde affix) but SP can not replace Smoke Screen. There are monsters that hit too hard even for SP and it does not break CC. If you think jailer is a joke, you probably need to fight monsters like soul lashers with jailer, fast and horde affix or phasebeasts with jailer and vortex combo.
    I will not agree there are too few mobs that hit so hard that they can one shot you. For me 40k hp 200ra It need 3 to 4 molock FB to die, or 2 to 3 shaman FB landed at same time. I am able to tank Diablo and my shadow with SP:Ghoom. Yes you can't go to tank for example 5 shamans or 4-6 molocks but you dont need to, if you don't play like a DH tank SP will help you stay in battle not to tank the word you are supposed to evade everything you can and everithing that you can not will be covered by SP:Ghoom. The best you get is that you don't need to run like a girl all the time but stay in the battle and you don't need to shoot all the time off-screen and when you see frogs to know your destiny.
    I keep Smoke Screen as a get out of jail card, Gloom wont save you sometimes if you get stuck by wallers or jailers.
    Gloom always saves me when I'm stuck and I need to use it. Getting walled or jailed in tight dungeon corridors sometimes is bad, mostly act 3 in keep or bunker style dungeons.

And baron01, I clear all of act 3 from start to finish for exp/loot for paragon leveling. Phasebeasts are a joke, soul lashers are a joke, demonic tremors are a joke, hell the only hard pack that is tedious to deal with are sorcerers with illusionist but if you kite all day they don't shield. I don't tank with Shadow Power Gloom. I may have in the past when the build where you used it when I had 800 to all resist and 4k armor and the stats to do it but with what i have now, sorry doesn't work that way. Now its there to offset my high dps cap from rolling and stutter kiting.

You play act 3 enough and you will find the patterns easily recognized. No mob one shots anymore, not unless you've got no resists and in that case that's your fault for playing stupid.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kain-1705/hero/204564
    Quote from Patriarch_Kain

You play act 3 enough and you will find the patterns easily recognized. No mob one shots anymore, not unless you've got no resists and in that case that's your fault for playing stupid.

http://us.battle.net...705/hero/204564
    I sure as hell hope you dont clear Act3 with that build because it must be pain and slow process. I would love to watch a video where you kill tremor pack with fast & vortex. It almost seems you bore them..I mean vault them to death. Must be fun to play.

I was clearing Act3 long before 1.0.4 but i switched to full MF gear and went back to Act2. Im now back in Act3 with 258MF baseline enjoying the ride a lot. The act got a lot more manageable post 1.0.4 even for less geared characters and the rewards are good. It is not effortless breeze Act2 was lately but quality of drops is much better in the later act.

By the way, I found a sorcerer pack that hit me for 53k over my 300 fire resist just yesterday. 1-shots do not happen very often but some monsters are still very dangerous unless you have very high defensive stats--AR above 400, 40k+ HP and 3.5k armor. Such stats are not a common occurrence for most DHs as long as they want to retain high DPS. Granted if you can spend 100 mil. on gear, you will have both offense and defense.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes