1.0.4 Jagged Spikes nerf - end of DH tank?

DH patchnote says :
    • Caltrops
      • Skill Rune - Jagged Spikes
        • Can no longer trigger procs

If this applies to the Life on hit effect it's gonna ruin the day for a few. Did bliz comment against DH tank?
    The way it see it now, its seems to be part of a trend to nerf the weighting of loh and maybe shift gear itemisation and priority to other healing stats like life steal, life after kill...etc.

Just look at the nerf to Wiz's ww, barb's Crushing Advance, Devil's Anvil, and now DH Jaggered Spikes.
    That and this:

Skill Rune - Shuriken Cloud
    • Weapon damage increased from 30% to 34%
    • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.333 to 0.125
    Skill Rune - Gas Grenades
    • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.5 to 0.165

But then-
    • Brooding
      • No longer requires player to not be damaged for 3 seconds to regenerate 1% of maximum Life per second
    Quote from Ibraz

That and this:

Skill Rune - Shuriken Cloud
    • Weapon damage increased from 30% to 34%
    • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.333 to 0.125
    Skill Rune - Gas Grenades
    • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.5 to 0.165
    But then-
    • Brooding
      • No longer requires player to not be damaged for 3 seconds to regenerate 1% of maximum Life per second

Oh well, with all these nerfs the spec is dead. Too much damage sacrifice for something that won't keep you alive against elites anymore. It's sad caus it was refreshing to play a DH this way.
    I was looking at that too, pretty sad really. One fell swoop and the most nonstandard DH build is crushed. Cheers for build diversity!
    Yes, the specc with that gameplay is dead, now it is time to change the playstyle because there are still abilities with good
    loh scalings.
    Well, Jagged Spikes does a TON more damage now* so maybe the Life Leech from Shadow Power will offset the healing lost from LoH (it'd also in theory make Life Steal a lot more valuable).

*I'm just assuming it is, the wording implies it's getting a buff however I've played Blizzard games long enough to know that what sounds like a buff could end up being only a small buff.
    you guys should complain about tornadoes not being nerfed - tons of loh from that - blizz didnt want to nerf that thou because so many barbs using it and they didnt want to hear the whine wagon ...
    Quote from Apollo

Well, Jagged Spikes does a TON more damage now* so maybe the Life Leech from Shadow Power will offset the healing lost from LoH (it'd also in theory make Life Steal a lot more valuable).

*I'm just assuming it is, the wording implies it's getting a buff however I've played Blizzard games long enough to know that what sounds like a buff could end up being only a small buff.

I know the data mined information showed a damage increase, but there was speculation that this was simply a rewording of the skill's tooltip. Furthermore, the only change listed in the patch notes to Jagged Spikes is: can no longer trigger procs.

Don't get your hopes up for a buff on this skill!
    We will see when the first DH tanks are posting after the patch.

Hopefully the gear will still work, I have 2 full sets for tank and I will be very pissed if it get worthless.
    It' s going the same way as Rogues tanking everything in WoW back in the day.

They don't want it so it's buh-bye.
    Conform or be cast out.

My Demon Hunter: http://tinyurl.com/anufqzj

Demon Hunter spreadsheet by Dretar http://www.diablofans.com/topic/46517-demon-hunter-dps-calculator/
    Not the end of DH tanks, but the end of the only 1.0.3 builds that gave me hope in future ameliorations. I quit D3.
    When the Patch is live, could someone post his experiences considering LoH?

Thx
    im running http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aUYglP!XVe!.ZbYaa atm, against large groups cluster grenades works just as good as gas grenade due to the insane disc regen through nightstalker. will test bait the trap rune after patch for more dc regen, should still work, if not i will just try to get sentry into the spec somehow.
    Quote from nights

im running http://eu.battle.net...YglP!XVe!.ZbYaa atm, against large groups cluster grenades works just as good as gas grenade due to the insane disc regen through nightstalker. will test bait the trap rune after patch for more dc regen, should still work, if not i will just try to get sentry into the spec somehow.

For trash sure it will probably still work, but what's the point of playing a build that requires little effort/awarness on trash and still get face rolled against elites/champs. How do you expect topping your health without those 5x1k-1.5k loh ticks from caltrops, even shuriken cloud will regerenate 3 times less health.

It's a pity caus this tanking build was really fun. You could alternate between ranged and melee style when you wanted and simply tank a few elites/champs packs without feeling you worked overnight for a few blues. Guess I ll go reroll a barbarian.
    tested some after patching yesterday, tank dh, as opposed to many would think after reading patch notes, is not dead. elite tremor/phaste beasts was still tankable for me with http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aUYgkP!XVe!ZZcYca, swapped jagged spike for bait the trap and rain of vengeance for guardian turret and didnt notice much of a difference. well stuff was dying faster but not sure if it was the spec or the nerf.

however i do believe that it got (alot) more expensive since now u prolly need to stack crit to 25%+ for nightstalker in addition to survival stats. in the worst case just get trail of cinder into the spec, in its current form that rune pretty much makes every spec viable =D
    This nerf has stopped my Cluster Bomb unlimited instant hatred regen build from working...

The trap stacked to 5 with mark +3 hatred on hit setup I posted a long while back was amazingly powerful, spammable clusters bombs... Best dps in game by far.
    Eikcam#2222 - Add me if you need help. Free service when I'm online and not busy.
    Any Inferno MP level.
    Constantly switching between Strafe Runs and Rapid Fire build.
    Low MP fast runs are Strafe Runs, High MP are Life Steal Rapid Fire runs.
    http://eu.battle.net...222/hero/739898
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes