Tanking Diablo on Inferno (Video Included) by: Cookiee

So I got up to 42k hp, and slightly more dps roughly 300 more. I was able to kill Diablo in about 2 minutes. I managed to skip a clone phase as well.
    i joined the "tank" DH side... still some items which are dex only and need to be changed, but i am now at 31k hp with 300 allres and some decent armor.
    can take 1 hit from some mobs in inferno and it feels fantastic :)

i could also hold my dps very high. 70k without ss and 130k with ss.
    next items to change pants, helmet, rings, wrist, boots
    so i guess i could end up with 50k hp and 600 allres

<3 tanky DH :D
    Since you can take a couple of hits with this build, what can you say about using Fan of Knives/Retaliate? It seems like a nice addition to your build if you can make a spare spell slot.
    Quote from coRex

i joined the "tank" DH side... still some items which are dex only and need to be changed, but i am now at 31k hp with 300 allres and some decent armor.

<3 tanky DH :D

Cpuld u post ur gear
    Quote from Swagger

Quote from coRex

Cpuld u post ur gear

here you go:

http://imageshack.us/f/713/gearm.jpg/

and in before as you may see, i am still not done :)
    Besides the OP having ridiculous gear, here's something to consider:
    Diablo is actually one of the bosses with the lowest auto attack DPS in the game. Most DHs don't know this but if you ever did Diablo on a melee character, you'd know his DPS (and moreso his damage per swing) is actually lower than that of quite a few trash mobs, even non-elite ones. It was obvious you'd eventually replace SS with SP once you have the defensive stats, but it's still not permanent while farming and more importantly, it doesn't allow you to tank high damage enemies and especially not affixes either.

A small comparison:
    Using my Monk and a full tank build (even though I'm not usually doing Diablo with a full tank build - since he hits like a wet noodle I usually do him with a full DPS DW build), he hits me for roughly ~8-12k in P1. There's quite a few trash mobs in Act 3/4, especially when rare or champion, that can straight-out one-shot me (with ~36k HP) using the same build.

After the patch, it may also work out well for champion/rare packs. However it also needs to unless you want to farm ridiculous repair costs.
    Quote from GT4

Besides the OP having ridiculous gear, here's something to consider:
    Diablo is actually one of the bosses with the lowest auto attack DPS in the game. Most DHs don't know this but if you ever did Diablo on a melee character, you'd know his DPS (and moreso his damage per swing) is actually lower than that of quite a few trash mobs, even non-elite ones. It was obvious you'd eventually replace SS with SP once you have the defensive stats, but it's still not permanent while farming and more importantly, it doesn't allow you to tank high damage enemies and especially not affixes either.

A small comparison:
    Using my Monk and a full tank build (even though I'm not usually doing Diablo with a full tank build - since he hits like a wet noodle I usually do him with a full DPS DW build), he hits me for roughly ~8-12k in P1. There's quite a few trash mobs in Act 3/4, especially when rare or champion, that can straight-out one-shot me (with ~36k HP) using the same build.

After the patch, it may also work out well for champion/rare packs. However it also needs to unless you want to farm ridiculous repair costs.

Diablo's DPS is fairly low this is true. He does hit somewhat hard though. There are certainly mobs that hit harder than he does, like the pony's who hit for about 2x his damage. I can still tank those with gloom up. My gear has also gotten a lot better since that video. With my cooldowns popped I can usually tank longer than my monk friend, who is full tank specced at 63k hp, 2k+ hph, can't recall resistance or armor, but he can usually tank everything in the game without taking any damage with the exception of beams/firechains/fire. Obviously you cannot tank everything.

You are also very correct about the next patch. Mobs are going to hit for less, but still 1 shot glass cannons. Glass cannons can no longer have Tyriel kill stuff they can't kill. I guarantee you my repair costs are much lower than glass cannons as well.

Also sorry for not responding to questions, I thought this thread died :(.
    My gear has also gotten a lot better since that video.

Is it possible to update your gear with a screenshot or did you already change it?
    Thats truly amazing. I am Glass Cannon right now and still use Shadow Power + Gloom for Reflects Damage mobs. I'm thinking hard to do a survival build but its too expansive. Will continue to farm act 3 dying as hell and then make something like you did. Great Work.
    I have finaly been able to get some "decent" pieces of gear with dex/vit/allres for my character. I have blew around 1.5m lately to get chest, helm and shoulders.

I was always on the HP side while leveling and continued same way through out inferno. It worked in Act1, less so in Act2 and not at all in Act3. Now I have upped my resistances a bit with the latest upgrades. I can now take 1 or even 2 spears from those spearthrowers in Act3 and even some melee hits from small mobs. Anything elemental will one shot me as expected. Im happy because it was very frustrating to die every time I blinked my eyes and missed a spear flying my way.

My problem is low damage now, although, I got a bit of upgrade along the way of getting more survivability.

My stats:
    45-48k HP
    All resistances: 150 (lowest 120, highest 175)
    DPS: 37k/83k (with and without SS)
    Quote from OverSpeedy

My gear has also gotten a lot better since that video.

Is it possible to update your gear with a screenshot or did you already change it?

Once the servers go back up, I will update my gear, and maybe make a new video, of a lot faster Diablo kill, and include some packs I suppose.

I am still extremely sad, I didn't have the cash to buy a chest at the time for 20 mil that had 150dex/vit, 3 sockets, hatred regen, 50 resist all. Had all my money locked in auctions :(, would have been a huge upgrade for me in every department, seeing as my current chest has less res and no vit. Hatred regen would have been a huge plus. That would definitely have put me above 50k hp.
    Updated my gear and video.
    For those of you that wanted to see some elites, I just posted a video. It's nothing spectacular. Not really sure if the elites were very difficult. Don't believe I had any reflects, but that is a useless affix for me, because it doesn't do anything. I just recorded my first run through siege and that's what I ended up with.

It's posted under the Diablo video.
    How long have you played so far?
    It's funny, I've used 100% glass cannon(I believe I had 9k HP during my first inferno diablo kill) for a long time now and I knew this was possible if you just stacked stuff, but I didn't think it was worth sacrificing anything for. After this thread, just for kicks I replaced my pure dex quiver/belt/shoulders with vita/all res/life% versions giving up maybe 50 dex total and huh. I survived that spear. Odd. Let's add Gloom... I SURVIVED A MOLOK FIRE BOLT? WHAT?

Yeah. I have like 35k hp now with around 250 all res without really giving up anything(except money) and that was already enough to make me live through things. It's interesting.. And now I'm contemplating, do I REALLY need those Boj anglers and Lacunis? REALLY need them... Maybe. Maybe.

Thanks for seeding an idea anyway :P
    Quote from DjMike

It's funny, I've used 100% glass cannon(I believe I had 9k HP during my first inferno diablo kill) for a long time now and I knew this was possible if you just stacked stuff, but I didn't think it was worth sacrificing anything for. After this thread, just for kicks I replaced my pure dex quiver/belt/shoulders with vita/all res/life% versions giving up maybe 50 dex total and huh. I survived that spear. Odd. Let's add Gloom... I SURVIVED A MOLOK FIRE BOLT? WHAT?

Yeah. I have like 35k hp now with around 250 all res without really giving up anything(except money) and that was already enough to make me live through things. It's interesting.. And now I'm contemplating, do I REALLY need those Boj anglers and Lacunis? REALLY need them... Maybe. Maybe.

Thanks for seeding an idea anyway :P

Yeah surviving that first spear is a good feeling.

Its nice to actually be happy to see Spear thrower packs. They do no damage, and die so fast.
    Hi!
    I'm currently with 40k hp, 600 all resists, same armor of yours.
    I have 1850 dex with 255% crit damage, 5%crit and my damage is 33k without SS and 100k with SS...
    How can u have 67k dps with almost mysame stats??? I have 73% attack speed increse and a xbow with 950 dps.
    There is a thread about this subject on the EU DH forums and it's making me want to smash me head against my desk.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4722052286?page=1

If you want to read how tanking means you have 10k DPS with ShS and you fail as a DH, because "all damage is avoidable and glass cannon DH never dies I run siegebreaker in 40 minutes and never diiieeeee" etc. :facepalmsmile:
    I have about 500 dex over you. Not sure about your other stats.
    My bow is also significantly better than yours.

Lol, siege in 40 min. That is quite a feat.

I was doing act 4 for someone 2 days ago. Took 1hr 2min. Full clear including all packs.
    I have calculated ur Dex and Dps with DH dps calculator excel and it gives me 41k dps and 2100dex ... :S
    How can u have 67k DPS??
    It's something wrong in my maths
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes