Siegebreaker runs - What am I doing wrong?

Hello there. I have been playing my DH for a while and have been attempting to farm Siegebreaker. Killing him is no problem at all, however getting 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor is.

I am playing the often-seen glass cannon, and can tear through most trash mobs in no time at all. But when I run into an elite pack, it usually takes be 3-5 deaths to kill it. If it has a really shitty affix, it takes me even longer time, and sometimes I just park the pack in a corner.

I've looked around and seen people say "oh, I just kill them before they get to me", but I am not having much luck with that in most cases. Therefore I've got some questions for you people:
    1. Where do you farm your NV stacks before killing Siegebreaker and how many times do you die getting the 5 stacks?
    2. What are your stats?
    3. What affixes do you have trouble with and how do you deal with them?
    4. How do you avoid dying to random stuff? By "random stuff" I mean things like a Fallen being resurrected right next to you, an enemy shooting you right as you enter a doorway, etc.
    5. Should I change my build? (link in the spoiler-thingy below)
    6. What should I focus on regarding my gear? (see pictures in the spoiler-thingy below)
    Please answer whatever questions you can. If nothing else, other people will be able to use some of the information as well. If there is a thread like this already, feel free to point me to it. I couldn't find any thread that dealt with my own questions when I looked for one.

Thanks in advance!

Build:

Stats and gear:

Sorry about being off topic a bit, how do you get 35% dmg increased by skills? Still couldn't figure that out..

Nvm..found the answer myself, it's coz you are using a bow..
    ppl who say that they kill them before they get there have rid. gear :P

Mostly it takes 1-5 deaths, as you said..
    When I do my siegebreaker runs I start with the Kill the siegebreaker quest, tp to the brige of korsikk point, the one close to the boss entrance. I check for underbrige spawn, the one to the left. If its not there, I run to right before the boss entrace to get the checkpoint, then reset the game and do so till I get the underbridge. When it spawns, I clear that and get 1 stack of NV. Sometimes theres resplendant chest and sometimes there are goblins, that's mostly why I go there. The NV stack is fine and all, but there's just one yellow pack in there.
    When I'm done there I tp out and go to the arreat are, outside the town. Check 3 places for the forward barracks spawn, as well as Cryders outpost or whatever the name is. Clear packs along the way as well, usually theres at least one blue pack around there, and I just prat it's not the fkn Relived ones cus they're fast as f*ck. There are chances of goblins as well as resplendant in one of those spawn points, the barrack and the cryder thingie one, so they're worth clearing. At this point you should have around 3-4 stacks. Just progress further into the area where you're sposed to kill 3 balistas and one more thing. Like 2-3 packs in this area so most of the time I try to kill all of them, if they have decent affixes. Then tp out and kill siegebreaker, swapping to full MF gear before he dies which lands me around 305 MF. Dunno if it's worth it really.

Playing DH is really all about killing them beforre they get to you, i.e traps and kite as much as possible, depending on playstyle of course but that's how I do it. I prefer glass cannon build despite the fact that I'm close to rippin my hair apart if you have shitty affixes on packs.

The two I hate MOST of all is like, invul minions and reflect damage. If at some point during my SB runs I get invul I just tp out and reset the game, I just can't be arsed. If I have 5 stacks already I just skip them and go SB, but unless I have 5 I tp out and reset. They way to handle reflect dmg is just spam nether tentacle, or whatever your attack is, and right before it's about to hit them just pop smokescreen. Rinse and repeat until dead. It sucks if they're like, a combination of fast and/or teleporter/vortex but hey, what're you gonna do.

I've got like 10k hp, around 102k dmg with SS on, around 55-58k without it, can't remember last time I checked really. 12 MS on boots helps a lot in regards of kiting. 35% or so crit chance and around 170 crit dmg. I need to stack way more crit dmg tbh. 1.7 attacks per second. I reckon I have decent gear, far from solid though, need a lot more upgrades but my SB runs take 30 mins, when I get shitty affixes.

To answer your deaths there. I'd wager it's normal. If reflect dmg comes along I die a lot also before I kill them all, especially when the smoke screen reset skill (blanking on the name, preperation?) doesn't proc and you're all out on discipline. At that point just hold your ground and try to deal as much damage as possible before you're taken out, and just hope they don't regen up to full before you spawn.

Now this is where I'm thinking if it's even worth it when they increase the rep cost, or if one is forced to go act 2 and farm goblins until you have way better gear and then go SB runs...
    Wow....I honestly don't think I could run them like you all do. Dying that much would take away from any form of enjoyment.

I run about your DPS but 30k health and 300-400 resistances so that I don't have to do the constant dying part. I've also put in way more time than I'd like to admit farming this gear as well (nothing bought from the AH).

I do most of my farming in the open areas and some of the easier mini-dungeons. If the ice cave is full of fatties and the large chargers I will take it on, but skip if it is nothing but fast, small mobs. Similar to other dungeons. Running around the open area leads to mainly large packs which are usually easily kiteable throughout the entire zone.

Biggest trouble packs besides invunerable minions (which most of the time I won't even attempt anymore just for time's sake) are the large crab packs and anything with fast affixes and larger health pools.
    Your gear is more than fine. I was doing SB runs at 35k DPS. I've been doing it now for a while and I always do the same thing. You will die a lot, but it depends on the packs you get. I've had a full run only take 15 mins. I've also had them take an hour.

Rakki's Crossing -> Clear to Underbridge
    If Underbridge -> Clear it, leave any chest
    TP to town and go back to Rakki's
    Clear to the door (where the merchant or champ pack spawns) -> Clear if pack (and if you can). Sometimes there are nasty combos that make it not worth clearing in here since you have no kite room.
    Leave area, clear to the first set of stairs.

By this time I have 2-3 stacks usually.

TP to town and take the Bridge. Look left for cave, then right.
    If you find packs -> Clear if easily killable. Skip if not.
    Enter cave -> Clear cave to Level 2 where the chest is.

By this time the last stacks I will have is 4, but if you keep running past the chest you'll usually find a 3rd pack (cave usually has 3 packs, sometimes 2). If you're still missing stacks, go to the Bridge WP and find the 2-3 packs that spawn in the open zone.

At 5 NV, pop any chests with MF on and finish SB.

Some people take the Bridge WP and go backwards, using 'ledging' to cheese mob packs and/or clear the sub-zones there. I've never really bothered, as Icefall cave is a complete breeze, although Caverns of Frost does suck when you get it. Just be quick on the SS.

I run sub 10k HP and have been doing this run since I had 35k DPS. Currently around 77k.
    One skill that can be really useful is Rain of Vengeance with either Stampede or Flying Strike. I personally prefer stampede rune. Champion packs and minions can be knocked back. That window of times (quite a few seconds) are often enough to take down a large amount of their HP. I prefer it over caltops since it doesn't use up discipline.

You might also want to get more discipline from a cloak. More discipline means more smoke screen, thus more survivability.

I have 30k hp with 500 resist, around 60k DPS (non SS). Enough to survive some stray shots, but I still need to play like a glass cannon (dodge instead of tank). Siegebreaker runs usually take me somewhere between 15-30 mins. I usually die 2-3 times per run, depending on the elite mobs and how concentrated I was at the time.
    1...5NV - select quest to kill Siege, go to through the portal at Rakki's Bridge and clear to entrance, alot of times there is at least 1 elite on the way. I really don`t like the Underbridge dungeon, random spawn and hard mobs. Instead i port back to town and go outside through the gates. Just keep going untill u meet the first NPCs and on the top left there is always a dungeon [i think it's Fortified Barracks, anyway is always there]. It`s easy to clear it as there are no ranged mobs inside, no leapers or spear throwers. As for the rest is all about random affixes on champs.

2...Stats 18k hp, 32k DPS no SS [84k SS] resists are not worth mentioning, something under 200 i think using 2H xbow heavy crit geared.

3...Only mobs i really hate are the fast ones as they tend to make kiting pointless, other than that rest are much more manageable. Second close is invuln minions maybe one day Blizz will fix the smart tracking of HA to not target invulnerable targets anymore. Reflect dmg ... just take ur time with them, low on health and no pot/globes? then stop shooting and kite untill u can use pot. Mortar/vortex/teleport or any other, just keep your eyes on mob and learn theyr casting animations.

4...Overall awarness :) Pay attention to your follower/Tyrael see if they go ahead and charge a mob. Any next room i`m about to enter i just shoot in 1-2 HA and couple of NT then wait and see if any numbers pop up, if not then i`m good to go but always have my finger on the SS trigger :P The 3-5s wait is much better than to run back from checkpoint :)

http://us.battle.net...YXVl!YeT!YcaZcb is what i use

ES i don't think is that great against elites because of DR, my oppinion. Also bat companion is kinda useless in your build because the EA spender is really cheap and u can pump quite alot of them untill hatred runs out
    I love RoV+Stampede ... it gives a really nice DPS window while it knockbacks elites, however it does not work against the yellow named mob, just purple/blue ones. Used to have RoV+F strike but is kinda dull because of targetting system and kinda useless because stun is severely affected by DR on inferno.

6...Overall your gear is better than mine, i just have alot more critical damage than you about 300% that's why i`m using Sharpshooter still. When gearing i keep it simple and not go into number crunching or theorycrafting, 2H xbow+heavy crit or 2H bow+IAS and balance of crit/critdmg. If affordable gear with dex/vit/all res/armor is amazing but very expensive. On gear slots with unique modifiers get according to your weapon, if a bow then get ring with IAS, if xbow then get ring with crit dmg and so on with the other pieces. Boots with run speed are mandatory imo and quiver with +discipline, or a chest.

Anyway, as they say ... this is just my 2c :)
    PM me if i win a trade TY :)
    Thanks for all the answers! I have decided to follow the advice I have been given, and have done the following things:

1. I have changed my route. It is now this:
    • TP to Rakkis -> Underbridge
    • TP to town -> Arreat Gate -> Fortified Barracks
    • If I'm still lacking NV, I'll go around the battlefields looking for the Icy Cave or just elite packs in general
    • TP to Rakkis -> Kill Siegebreaker
    2. I have picked up Hungering Arrow instead of Entangling Shot. Shooting it through doorways before entering has already saved me a lot of deaths (thanks Ankhesenisis!).

3. I have switched to Rain of Vengeanve with Stampede Instead of my Bat Companion. The knockback is very good in most cases. Just gotta remember to watch out with using it against a pack of Reflects Damage.

4. I have begun reacting faster/smarter. If I see movement near me, I press Smoke Screen and run. I use Caltrops more agressively, placing them when I run through doorways so they're there when I flee from enemies.

In the last Siegebreaker run I did, it felt a lot better. I only had to repair once instead of twice, and elite packs felt less annoying than usual.

I had some annoying deaths, though. A Spearthrower pack with Vortex / Molten / whatever, and a bit lag which got me killed to Arcane Sentries that looked like they were still 90 degrees away from me. It went a lot better than usual though and considering how my luck usually is, it can't have been because I was lucky ;)

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Quote from Mewbaraue

Thanks for all the answers! I have decided to follow the advice I have been given, and have done the following things:

1. I have changed my route. It is now this:
    • TP to Rakkis -> Underbridge
    • TP to town -> Arreat Gate -> Fortified Barracks
    • If I'm still lacking NV, I'll go around the battlefields looking for the Icy Cave or just elite packs in general
    • TP to Rakkis -> Kill Siegebreaker
    2. I have picked up Hungering Arrow instead of Entangling Shot. Shooting it through doorways before entering has already saved me a lot of deaths (thanks Ankhesenisis!).

3. I have switched to Rain of Vengeanve with Stampede Instead of my Bat Companion. The knockback is very good in most cases. Just gotta remember to watch out with using it against a pack of Reflects Damage.

4. I have begun reacting faster/smarter. If I see movement near me, I press Smoke Screen and run. I use Caltrops more agressively, placing them when I run through doorways so they're there when I flee from enemies.

In the last Siegebreaker run I did, it felt a lot better. I only had to repair once instead of twice, and elite packs felt less annoying than usual.

I had some annoying deaths, though. A Spearthrower pack with Vortex / Molten / whatever, and a bit lag which got me killed to Arcane Sentries that looked like they were still 90 degrees away from me. It went a lot better than usual though and considering how my luck usually is, it can't have been because I was lucky ;)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Try doing Keep Depths level 3 - There's usually 3 +-1 elite packs... And they're usually easier than those on the bridge i'ld say.

If you wanna try something completely new, you could try my route:
    1) Start the game at quest: The Second Heart (the one before azmodan)
    2) Clear KIeep Depths Level 3 for some stacks
    3) Go to Tower of the Cursed lvl 1 (last wp) and clear your way to Cyndea (5 stacks is guaranteed by then)
    4) Clear the Core of Arreat, and kill azmodan

I do this run in about 15 min, and it usually yields around 12-20 rares.
    The awesomeness of this route is partially that you get two bosses with 5 stacks, but you also get 2-5 rare packs with 5 stacks.

I'm not sure if your gear is suitable for the task yet though, but try it out!
    I'm running it with 92k DPS (no SS), 54k health and 250 all res.
    Quote from Mienta

Quote from Mewbaraue

Snip

Try doing Keep Depths level 3 - There's usually 3 +-1 elite packs... And they're usually easier than those on the bridge i'ld say.

3) Go to Tower of the Cursed lvl 1 (last wp) and clear your way to Cyndea (5 stacks is guaranteed by then)

The awesomeness of this route is partially that you get two bosses with 5 stacks, but you also get 2-5 rare packs with 5 stacks.

Thanks for the advice!

Killing Cyndea and Azmodan simply requires is that I unlock those quests. I'll take a look at progressing after Siegebreaker at some point soon.

With regards to Keep Depths Level 3: I'll give it a try, though I seem to remember running into Soul Ripper elites. When this happens I tend to run away screaming. Too much of a pain for me to deal with them. As long as I don't encounter those, it's a good place. I'll keep it in mind.
    Quote from Mewbaraue

Quote from Mienta

Quote from Mewbaraue

Snip

Thanks for the advice!

Killing Cyndea and Azmodan simply requires is that I unlock those quests. I'll take a look at progressing after Siegebreaker at some point soon.

With regards to Keep Depths Level 3: I'll give it a try, though I seem to remember running into Soul Ripper elites. When this happens I tend to run away screaming. Too much of a pain for me to deal with them. As long as I don't encounter those, it's a good place. I'll keep it in mind.

I forgot to mention the most glorious part of lvl 3 keep - there will never spawn soul rippers! (;
    The only ones that spawn are: skull cleaver, bowmen, demonic tremors and quillbacks
    The great thing about Keep Depths level 3 is that there is usually at least one elite pack right near the waypoint. And because the geography of the map is always a straight narrow corridor, you can hit plenty of targets with nether tentacles and kite upward toward the larder, with the option of retreating down there if necessary.

I almost always quickly clear at least one pack there and move on to other locations.
    You can wp to lv3 keep and go back to lv2. Sadly there is a chance of encountering soul rippers but i found many resplendent chests there :)
    Quote from Miraaal

ppl who say that they kill them before they get there have rid. gear :P

Mostly it takes 1-5 deaths, as you said..

Or maybe they can play the game? I made my first siegebreaker run with under 40k dps, and the mobs aren't that hard. Mollocks = kite and dodge, spearman = run and shoot them when they throw their spear//use SS to get some more DPS.

HARD GAME IS HARD OMFG.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes