A Guide to Demon Hunter Damage + A Build

In trying to figure out which DH skills could do the most burst damage in the shortest period of time I found myself trying to work out each Skill's exact damage frame by frame. I figured I may as well share what I found with you guys starting with the Hatred Builders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvf4f5xXm3M&list=PL790A55C11691F8CE&index=1&feature=plpp_video

This video is more about napkin math and less about demonstration so apologies if you find it a bit dry. I planned on showcasing the abilities in another video, but I'm quite burned out of DIII at this point so I dunno; if you guys find this helpful I might summon the willpower to continue on with the other abilities, but it was A LOT of work so we'll see.

Also, if you were interested this was the build I came up with:

"The Sapper" a.k.a. "The Flustercluck":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgLQd6jCiwQ&list=PL790A55C11691F8CE&index=2&feature=plpp_video

It's more about giving the middle finger to Inferno than anything else. I'm tired of Tentacle spam.

Thanks guys. =)
    as far as grenadier goes, its dmg goes up with faster att speed wep to keep it similar dmg no matter what your wep choice.
    It's still early and my brain might be still sleeping but I think there's something wrong with the math behind bola shot+imminent doom. Why are you taking the 2 second arm time into overall dps calculation? Aren't those two seconds only relevant for the first shot and then it's up to your weapon speed? If you shoot BS+ID every half second than they will be blowing up every half second with a 2 second delay after your first shot. No?

Cant figure out the real DPS but clearly it must be better than the base bola shot.
    dude......
    read archery.
    Mortar's Vortex's and Lions Oh My!
    but I love my tentacle spam!
    Hungering Arrow + Tentacle + Impale - they're our 3 best attacks

Ive started playing around with spike trap for act 3 with caltrops for better kiting, and they seem to be working or atleast helping

Ive got 102k dps with ss - and the spike traps usually crit for 110k - 230k (highest ive seen them)

Its all about preference i guess, and peoples play styles.

But act 3 inferno is just a joke if you dont get a good elite/champ combo - i was stuck on 30sec res timer for best part of an hour yesterday - just because i didnt want to loose my progress in the tower part 2 >.
    xox LoLa xox
    I believe some of your conception of DH skill are wrong. For example Base bolashot and Imminent doom bolashot.

It only take 2 second for the later to detonate but you don't shoot one bola every 2 second. If you did shoot every 2 second, then I would agree.

However, assuming you have 3 attack per second and you re shooting for 3 second. During those 3 second, there would be a total of 9 bolashots. After the first explodes, for 3 seconds, you'll have the remaining 8 explosions.

I know you did say you don't wanna take into account attack speed but in this case, you have the wrong conclusion.

Here is a representation in game with noise (assuming your opponent is far away=:
    Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec//
    Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec//

Hits the target:
    2 seconds cownt down for the first to explodes then:
    Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec//
    In the second video, the reason they are doing back flips, is because they have Health Link + Knock Back. Since the health link makes them do damage to themselves, it kicks them back. Pretty sure that's just a programming bug. Maybe it was intended.
    Quote from Rhogog

It's still early and my brain might be still sleeping but I think there's something wrong with the math behind bola shot+imminent doom. Why are you taking the 2 second arm time into overall dps calculation? Aren't those two seconds only relevant for the first shot and then it's up to your weapon speed? If you shoot BS+ID every half second than they will be blowing up every half second with a 2 second delay after your first shot. No?

Cant figure out the real DPS but clearly it must be better than the base bola shot.

Quote from Peppy

I believe some of your conception of DH skill are wrong. For example Base bolashot and Imminent doom bolashot.

It only take 2 second for the later to detonate but you don't shoot one bola every 2 second. If you did shoot every 2 second, then I would agree.

However, assuming you have 3 attack per second and you re shooting for 3 second. During those 3 second, there would be a total of 9 bolashots. After the first explodes, for 3 seconds, you'll have the remaining 8 explosions.

I know you did say you don't wanna take into account attack speed but in this case, you have the wrong conclusion.

Here is a representation in game with noise (assuming your opponent is far away=:
    Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec//
    Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec// Shoot 0.33sec//

Hits the target:
    2 seconds cownt down for the first to explodes then:
    Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec// Kaboum 0.33sec//

Yup, you're right. People pointed out the same mistakes made in the video in the comments too, and I put in some annotations to clarify where I went wrong. Sorry for any confusion.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes