Critical Hit Damage > Attack Speed ?

Hey guys,

So I'm struggling a little bit here. I'd like to get a few advices from people who know what they're talking about. I just killed Diablo in 4man co-op which clearly proves I didn't need to optimize my DH the best way I could to kill him, I just went for the highest stats, but now I'd like to know what to go for. Attack Speed is clearly one (if not the principal) stats in the game. However, I'm kinda stuck. When my Sharpshooter buff is stacked to the maximum, the stat that will boost my dps the most, is Critical Hit Damage. Logic, right ? The highest my dps is when I shoot the 3 or 4 first Elemental Arrows, the better.

Now the thing is, once my Sharpshooter buff fades off, I'm left with ~45k dps, and the Attack Speed stat grants me more dps than Critical Hit Damage did. So I'm asking you guys, what should we, Demon Hunters, do? The higher the dps with Sharpshooter the better? Or use the Attack Speed to "balance everything" and still go for proper dps without the Sharpshooter buff being stacked to the maximum?

I hope it's clear enough, I tried to explain the best way I could. Simple example. I am now at roughly 100k dps with Sharpshooter. I got gloves in my bags with 129 dex and 15% attack speed. Pretty good, right? Well, not so much, I lose 1285dps... the gloves I wear have 113 dex + critical hit damage +32%.

Hope you understand it better, I'm sure lots of you are asking yourself the same question, I hope someone has an answer for me.

Thanks for reading me, cheers.

ps: one last thing, crossbow or bow? pros and cons?
    Quote from Abfahrer

Hey guys,

So I'm struggling a little bit here. I'd like to get a few advices from people who know what they're talking about. I just killed Diablo in 4man co-op which clearly proves I didn't need to optimize my DH the best way I could to kill him, I just went for the highest stats, but now I'd like to know what to go for. Attack Speed is clearly one (if not the principal) stats in the game. However, I'm kinda stuck. When my Sharpshooter buff is stacked to the maximum, the stat that will boost my dps the most, is Critical Hit Damage. Logic, right ? The highest my dps is when I shoot the 3 or 4 first Elemental Arrows, the better.

Now the thing is, once my Sharpshooter buff fades off, I'm left with ~45k dps, and the Attack Speed stat grants me more dps than Critical Hit Damage did. So I'm asking you guys, what should we, Demon Hunters, do? The higher the dps with Sharpshooter the better? Or use the Attack Speed to "balance everything" and still go for proper dps without the Sharpshooter buff being stacked to the maximum?

I hope it's clear enough, I tried to explain the best way I could. Simple example. I am now at roughly 100k dps with Sharpshooter. I got gloves in my bags with 129 dex and 15% attack speed. Pretty good, right? Well, not so much, I lose 1285dps... the gloves I wear have 113 dex + critical hit damage +32%.

Hope you understand it better, I'm sure lots of you are asking yourself the same question, I hope someone has an answer for me.

Thanks for reading me, cheers.

ps: one last thing, crossbow or bow? pros and cons?

It's really tough. I really struggle finding a balance with these two stats. Attack speed might mean you get another tentacle shot out before your sharpshooter resets so there is some synergy between the stats as well.

Is there any diminishing returns on +crit dmg and +ias?
    You'll have to gauge it on your playstyle, but IMO as a DH you're going to spend a lot of time running away in between attacks so crit makes more sense. Haste loses its benefit the more you have breaks in your damage dealing, whereas with sharpshooter building up crit rating while you're dodging attacks you lose less. To my mind a DH would be better focusing on packing a big punch into short bursts rather than sustained damage on most fights.
    you loose 1285 dps right?
    but this is with fully stacked up ss... remove ss and check your stats now... you should gain a nice boost from those ias gloves.
    i would DEFINITLY take the ias gloves. the grounddmg bonus should compensate the "lack" of critdmg bonus...
    Quote from coRex

you loose 1285 dps right?
    but this is with fully stacked up ss... remove ss and check your stats now... you should gain a nice boost from those ias gloves.
    i would DEFINITLY take the ias gloves. the grounddmg bonus should compensate the "lack" of critdmg bonus...

Yeah I know, it's the whole point of the thread. What I wanted to know is what stat should I go for ? Obviously I'll win stats without SS, but in the end, is it better?
    Everybody choose the playstyle he likes the most:)
    Quote from Abfahrer

Yeah I know, it's the whole point of the thread. What I wanted to know is what stat should I go for ? Obviously I'll win stats without SS, but in the end, is it better?

When you're fighting a mob pack, SS is active for all of 1-2 shots, assuming you have a decent Crit Rate.. You shouldn't make gear decisions based on SS, pretty much ever. SS is actually pretty useless, people are just very attached to big numbers.
    I always compare DPS numbers with ShSH OFF. Give me a more accurate view of what my damage will be for a MAJORITY of the fight. IAS is pretty good when playing in a group cos you can actually afford to stand still a bit more than when soloing. I'd still got for Crit Chance and Dex/IAS though if not using ShSH. I get my Crit % to about 35% and I drop ShSh for Tactical Advantage.
    IAS getting nerfed or nerfed in the coming patch (Haven't logged on yet).

Anyone have any new thoughts on this changes on DH gameplay?
    Would Crit have a much better benefit now?
    All I know is, just shoot lazers and stuff dies.
    When i check which items are best with or without SS i always first check the item without SS.

Then i switch to SS and immediately go into my bag and then hover/unhover over the item i want to check. The longer it takes for the dmg gain to break even compared to the item i have equiped, the worse it is imo.
    For example you dont want an item that can only give you more dps when your crit chance is 80-90%. ON the other hand if the dmg gain breaks even a few percent over your base crit chance without SS then i would say its better.

It might not be the best method to quickly check items but it works for me.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes