[HARDCORE GUIDE] The Divine Warrior - How to become an unstoppable force of destruction on Torment difficulty

Due to extremely bugged formatting on DiabloFans that messed up this entire post, the guide has been moved over to: http://devizzlive.blogspot.com/2014/03/hardcore-guide-divine-warrior-how-to.html(at least for now).
    Last edited by Devizz: 4/12/2014 2:06:55 PM
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Just a small pointer, Divine Fortress only increases your armor by your shield's block chance, not by your total block chance. Hardened Senses, Hold Your Ground, and other items that increase your block do NOT increase your armor through Divine Fortress.

Another thing, Heavenly Strength reduces your maximum movement speed, meaning that your movement speed from gear will be capped at 110% instead of 125%. This means you can't go over 110% with Paragon levels, either.

A few (quite large, to be honest) mistakes and some misinformation, but a nice guide nonetheless.
    Quote fromKapsu» Just a small pointer, Divine Fortress only increases your armor by your shield's block chance, not by your total block chance. Hardened Senses, Hold Your Ground, and other items that increase your block do NOT increase your armor through Divine Fortress.

I am well aware of that, just a typo.
    As for the Heavenly Strength passive, I did some testing yesterday and at first thought that you could not negate its movement speed reduction as well. It seemed that I had 125% MS after distributing paragon points. I did some testing now and you are indeed right, no idea why it worked for me yesterday, perhaps I was buffed with nephalem glory.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Devizz: 4/4/2014 2:10:14 PM
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Quote from Devizz
    Quote fromKapsu» Just a small pointer, Divine Fortress only increases your armor by your shield's block chance, not by your total block chance. Hardened Senses, Hold Your Ground, and other items that increase your block do NOT increase your armor through Divine Fortress.

As for the Heavenly Strength passive, I did some testing yesterday and at first thought that you could not negative its movement speed reduction as well. It seemed that I had 125% MS after distributing paragon points. I did some testing now and you are indeed right, no idea why it worked for me yesterday, perhaps I was buffed with nephalem glory.
    Cheers.

You were probably in town, I have no clue why it doesn't reduce the movement speed to 110% when you're in town. I was confused by this, too, yesterday, but then found out it doesn't work in town. o_O
    I am going to start my adventure on HC with my crusader and I found this very interesting. I'm looking forward to more content!

Just my two cents:

Could you reformat the priority of rate items / slot in a way that each slot is in a separated line? Now it seems confusing and unorganised.

Could you mention something about caps on important stats? Most people may know it but I don't and it would be useful because you mention caps on some on your suggestions/skills/item choices but I have no clue about the caps.

Also you could talk about followers.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Istanor: 3/26/2014 4:31:41 PM
    Quote from Istanor

I am going to start my adventure on HC with my crusader and I found this very interesting. I'm looking forward to more content!

Just my two cents:

Could you reformat the priority of rate items / slot in a way that each slot is in a separated line? Now it seems confusing and unorganised.

Could you mention something about caps on important stats? Most people may know it but I don't and it would be useful because you mention caps on some on your suggestions/skills/item choices but I have no clue about the caps.

Also you could talk about followers.

Thanks!

For some reason diablofans reformats my post, the original guide looked entirely different (it had more paragraphs, spaces etc). No idea how to fix this. :s
    Last edited by Devizz: 3/26/2014 10:32:32 PM
    What would you recommend for dmg/tough before even venturing into t1.
    this build is pretty awesome thanks for the info! :)
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Tbh, the damage output with this build without all the items is not going to be enough for higher torments.

It is however a good build for lower farming (expert-T1) For your law, i would suggest law of hope - wings of angels, as this will allow you to pass through mobs when stuck or better yet allow you to pass through waller affix ;)
    For better viewing experience I suggest going to this link: http://devizzlive.blogspot.com/(at least for now)
    Quote from KadMan

What would you recommend for dmg/tough before even venturing into t1.

Sorry for not spotting your post before mate, I'd say that 450k DMG/15 mil toughness is more than enough for farming t1 (assuming you want to play it rather safe).
    i run out of wrath so fast with this build :(

i also think lightning hammerdin is faster at clearing trash, and torment 1
    Quote from Clouderz

i run out of wrath so fast with this build :(

i also think lightning hammerdin is faster at clearing trash, and torment 1

I guess you could swap Renewal for Righteousness.

Here is a youtube version of the guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWcKN0DYnM
    Nice vid. I agree though, this build has insane survivability
    i also noticed you gem for strength in your chest piece. Is this because of how much free toughness you get from passives / laws?

Or do you just prefer having more strength because your block chance is so high?

i got 3 AR gems in my chest, and two in my legs
    with your build, i'm currently doing

530k damage
    18.7 mill toughnes

build seems slightly slow for clearing, though you are probably way faster with Fate of the Fall. 3 heaven furys is retarded
    Last edited by Clouderz: 3/29/2014 5:12:44 PM
    Quote from Clouderz

i also noticed you gem for strength in your chest piece. Is this because of how much free toughness you get from passives / laws?

Or do you just prefer having more strength because your block chance is so high?

530k damage
    18.7 mill toughnes

build seems slightly slow for clearing, though you are probably way faster with Fate of the Fall. 3 heaven furys is retarded

I am using STR gems because I simply find All Res to be a lot weaker than it used to be before the expansion. Let me explain why.

First of all, before RoS you could gem for 34 all res AND for 34 primary stats with flawless squares. As of now, while primary gem values jump to insane amounts like 220+, +All Res gems do not scale that well (you get almost triple times more strength than all resistances). Just think about it, 1 str = 1 armor, so 220 str = 220 armor which is equal to like 22 all res. So in reality all res gems give you even less in comparison to primary stats ones.

Second of all, If you do not get +All res as a primary stat on an item, you can get one of all 6 resistances as a SECONDARY stat. Now, this is something to think about as well. In my opinion, one should avoid getting all res on an item and instead focus on other stats like crit chance/crit damage or w/e (assuming you have resistances as a secondary stat on your items). This is definitely so for monks.

And yes, there are indeed other builds out there that would allow you to farm quicker but you will find no better build with such high EHP value AND a decent damage.
    Last edited by Devizz: 3/29/2014 9:37:18 PM
    Quote from Devizz
    Quote from Clouderz

530k damage
    18.7 mill toughnes

I am using STR gems because I simply find All Res to be a lot weaker than it used to be before the expansion. Let me explain why.

First of all, before RoS you could gem for 34 all res AND for 34 primary stats with flawless squares. As of now, while primary gem values jump to insane amounts like 220+, +All Res gems do not scale that well (you get almost triple times more strength than all resistances). Just think about it, 1 str = 1 armor, so 220 str = 220 armor which is equal to like 22 all res. So in reality all res gems give you even less in comparison to primary stats ones.

Second of all, If you do not get +All res as a primary stat on an item, you can get one of all 6 resistances as a SECONDARY stat. Now, this is something to think about as well. In my opinion, one should avoid getting all res on an item and instead focus on other stats like crit chance/crit damage or w/e (assuming you have resistances as a secondary stat on your items). This is definitely so for monks.

And yes, there are indeed other builds out there that would allow you to farm quicker but you will find no better build with such high EHP value AND a decent damage.

Thanks for the explanation! I agree that primary gems scale insanely well
    It is true, i'm able to tank an insane amount of mobs/elites and dish out respectable damage with this build!
    Also note i'd like to add, you missed gloves when listing off important stats for each item
    Great guide. However, I would like it if you gave some extra explanations for why you think stats in that order for gear are the most important and why you chose those paragon points. A follower guide would be welcome as well. Also I noticed you have absolutely no healing related stats on the items you listed, is there a reason for this? And do you socket your weapon with emerald or ruby gems?
    Last edited by Zerocloud411: 3/30/2014 2:14:54 PM
    This is a very similar build to what I've been using, and I've not changed it much since levelling. I've been using Falling Sword with different runes for mobility and an extra AoE, and using Condemn with Eternal Retaliation rune for an extremely powerful AoE that rips packs apart. I use Righteousness passive instead of Divine Fortress to build wrath quicker for more Shield Bashes. Due to Heaven's Sword and Condemn, I'm using a 2H with Heavenly Strength. I don't use Steed or Akarat's Champ any more.

I've got 578k dps (with 35% extra holy and 19% extra physical skill damage) and 6.5m toughness (259k life, 1400 allres, 44% block chance - only healing coming from heal on block passive). I'm surviving Torment 1 perfectly fine, although I'm struggling with single target dps. The crowd clearing with AoE is insane, as is my survival, but it takes a while with mini bosses and rift guardians. Might try out some new builds tomorrow for improving single target, but get the impression that would mean switching to a fast 1h and getting some extra LoH too.

As an extra note, Steed Charge does break CC. It was great for when I was gearing up, saved me plenty of times.
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker
    I had just switched to a build similar to this tonight, and after doing an Act of bounties, decided to gamble off some Shards on Shields... and I got Ebreli Charo. This shield is crazy. 45% CDR on Heaven's Fury. Now I just need Fate of the Fell, to have all the beams, all the time!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes