Two-Handed (w/ no shield) build viable for Crusader?

I've been searching the web for answers, as well as taking a loot at the Crusader skills and passives. I am aware that Crusaders can wield a two-hander in their main hand and a shield on their off-hand.

I was wondering if anyone had any information as to whether or not Crusaders will be able to wield a two-handed weapon with no shield, without seriously gimping themselves.

It appears that Blizzard has designed the Crusader to always have a shield - but anyone know if Crusaders will be equally as powerful if they choose to forgo the shield? Looking to build a very offensive, hard hitting Crusader that chooses to use a two-hander only.
    tbh there's really no reason NOT to use a shield... If you want to go 2h just use Heavenly Strength to let you use a 2h and shield at the same time.

There are ZERO benefits to forgoeing a shield.
    And there's also this ring
    ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_695_x1 - Heavenly Strength no longer reduces your movement speed.
    Quote from Andead

And there's also this ring
    ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_695_x1 - Heavenly Strength no longer reduces your movement speed.

Aye, and guess what that passive is on... A shield ;)
    so? this means even more less reasons to not use shield
    That sentance makes no sense gutpik :p

'even more less reasons to not use shield' Are you agreeing with me that there's no reason to forgoe a shield, or disagreeing and saying shields are useless?
    i agree that there no reason to not wear shield)
    God I hope not, ever.

Ok, you can use a 2h no shield if the following are true:

1) You are permanently rooted in place

2) You take 100% more damage

3) All resistances are reduced to 0

4) Healing is 50% as effective
    Last edited by Setsoru: 1/5/2014 6:41:42 PM

Quote from Setsoru

God I hope not, ever.

Ok, you can use a 2h no shield if the following are true:

1) You are permanently rooted in place

2) You take 100% more damage

3) All resistances are reduced to 0

4) Healing is 50% as effective

Why not ? if you want to use a shield fine , what if somebody else likes the crusader skills but also likes wielding a 2hander without a shield ? is he not free to play however he likes ?

On topic , can't know for sure just yet in the beta , it takes time to come up with builds , currently the beta is very limited and very few players are exposed to the crusader class to test it out , might become viable with certain legendaries and affixes.

but with Heavenly Strength , there is only one reason to not use a shield with 2hander and that is if you find a build that needs all the 4 passives and it makes up for the lack of the shield , just like Melee DH they are viable.
    after lvl 60 at least on master, its doesn't matter what items you use, or what skills, you just take phalanx\shield bearers - and rape everything )= its not even fun, how everything die in seconds.

Quote from gutpik

after lvl 60 at least on master, its doesn't matter what items you use, or what skills, you just take phalanx\shield bearers - and rape everything )= its not even fun, how everything die in seconds.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Don't really play my crusader much on beta because of this. I'd say I could use other skills but really... they mostly suck WAY too much compared.

Quote from Vyce223

Quote from undefined »

i played on master from lvl1 to lvl ~57 i think, until i get to the act 4, where it take too much time to beat things with my gear from like 10 levels ago (had lots of +exo affixes and hellfire ring, so leveling till now was like dingdingdingding.... nonstop. But then some mobs (mostly it was desecrated+plagued+thunderstorm\other aoe + jailer\vortex - just massacred me in seconds, and i cannot do anything to them without dying 10-20 times.. (oh yeah, funny thing meet two packs at once (happens now too often) each 4-5 mobs, all with plagued+arcane and one jailer other something like vortex\thunderstorm, so i was struggling, i even set difficulty to expert, but it was still hard. Then i finally decided to try "op skill>rune" that everyone mentioned (before that i even not tried it, once) and voila, with just bearers you much any mob, boss pack - in a seconds, if just bearers not enough, you turn on -50% cost reduction, and spam endless bearers until screen become clear, even my wizard who had x4 times more dps, it takes 10 times longer to kill same packs, and you often die doing that.

What need to be done with bearers is probably not lowering their damage, but or removing damage, or removing knockback from that rune (but i think removing knockback, still keep this rune OP) - it like by its description it must not munch munch packs, but keep enemies from melee you (for mid\long range builds)
    Playing a crusader without a shield will be like playing a demon hunter using a 1H sword...it will be doable, but no good reason to do it. Part of the lore of the crusader is using shields, that's just how they are meant to be played.

Quote from gutpik

i played on master from lvl1 to lvl ~57 i think, until i get to the act 4, where it take too much time to beat things with my gear from like 10 levels ago (had lots of +exo affixes and hellfire ring, so leveling till now was like dingdingdingding.... nonstop. But then some mobs (mostly it was desecrated+plagued+thunderstorm\other aoe + jailer\vortex - just massacred me in seconds, and i cannot do anything to them without dying 10-20 times..

Was this with a 2-hander and no shield? I'd really like to know. I'm really tired of all the "well you're not supposed to make a Crusader with no shield so moot point" responses to this question. I promise that if I make it into the beta, I will make a 2-hander Crusader and let you know how he actually fairs.

That's not to say I think it'll work - according to a loading screen tooltip I saw the other day, the Crusader does not get the 30% damage reduction bonus that the Barbarian and the Monk get, so I am afraid that may make the shield mandatory. But it's still frustrating to be curious about how he does and not find anyone who's actually tried.
    Last edited by daisychopper: 1/16/2014 4:04:21 PM
    it was with a shield, without it, you probably not survive even hard after lvl50. Also as already mentioned bazilion times - there 0 reason to not wear shield
    What exactly do you have against shields? if I could use a shield and not sacrifice DPS on my barbarian, i would most certainly wear one. Basically, you will be handicapping yourself if you decide to forgo an equipment slot. If you want to make things harder on yourself that's cool, but that's why they put torment 6 into the game.
    Wow so Crusader can wield 2 hander and shield at the same time? Sounds insane.
    Only reason i can see is when your build require 4 passives and u cant use heavenly strength(but its very unlikely)
    other than that its like playing monk with 1x onehanded weapon. U can do it but it wont ever be effective
    Last edited by gurg0: 1/29/2014 4:07:52 AM
    Having the ability to use 2hand+shield at the same time requiring a passive skill is pretty bad actually. AFAIK, 2 hand damage is not *that much* better than 1 hand, also according to this picture:

I would be more useful if you held down 'ctrl' when taking the screenshot so we could see the ranges on the affixes, at the moment they are just 2 random rares giving no idea of relative level (e.g. one could be top 10% and the other bottom 10%).

Also the 1H has a better gem in it.
    Last edited by Maffia: 1/29/2014 4:51:12 AM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes