[GUIDE] How to become a sucessful and exceptional barbarian on inferno difficulty

I agree with bokchoykn. This should be unpinned as it portrays this as the "only way" to play a barbarian. I came on here today to see what other people were saying about builds similar to mine (see: http://www.diablofans.com/topic/53299-no-one-talking-about-infinite-bersker-whirlwind/) only to find NOTHING because you all think that you absolutely have to be a revenge spammer with tons of resist and use frenzy with LoH etc.

Seriously, people, play the game. Try out new shit. Don't rely on other people's ideas. Take bits from their ideas and come up with your own! I'm not so arrogant to think my build is the best. In fact, I'm nearly certain that there are other builds that could be made to work. Mine might not be as good as some I haven't seen on here or thought of myself, and maybe it's not as good as this one, but FOR ME it's way more FUN. Plus, it still works... so quit flinging about this nonsense "you have to use this spec".
    Quote from bokchoykn

Warning: This guide is awful. Very awful.

Feel free to write your own then. This guide's at least some direction to those that wanted guidance, and is better than no guidance at all.

And to be honest, I've managed to feel slightly more useful in my party games after tuning myself to this instead of doing what I was doing before (either stacking Vitality or stacking Strength).

EDIT:
    @OP: Why not the HP regeneration rune on Frenzy?
    Quote from Firebert

Quote from bokchoykn

Warning: This guide is awful. Very awful.

Feel free to write your own then. This guide's at least some direction to those that wanted guidance, and is better than no guidance at all.

And to be honest, I've managed to feel slightly more useful in my party games after tuning myself to this instead of doing what I was doing before (either stacking Vitality or stacking Strength).

EDIT:
    @OP: Why not the HP regeneration rune on Frenzy?

I've written a Barb guide. You can find it on the battle.net barb forums.

Also, I would argue that bad guidance is worse than no guidance. People will read guides that are well-organized, easy to read, and are on the front page of good websites. People who are looking for guides can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. I saw this guide early on, and thought it was really good and followed it to some extent. As I got better and gained a stronger understanding of Barbarian, I realized how bad this guide was (ie. very bad).

If I was lead down the wrong path, god knows how many other people were.
    Quote from bokchoykn

Link?
    Quote from bokchoykn
    Also, I would argue that bad guidance is worse than no guidance. People will read guides that are well-organized, easy to read, and are on the front page of good websites. People who are looking for guides can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. I saw this guide early on, and thought it was really good and followed it to some extent. As I got better and gained a stronger understanding of Barbarian, I realized how bad this guide was (ie. very bad).

Then please either post your guide or post here the differences between your guide and the OPs. Otherwise all your posts just amount to "OP's guide is wrong because I say so".
    Quote from Firebert

Quote from bokchoykn

Link?
    Quote from bokchoykn

Then please either post your guide or post here the differences between your guide and the OPs. Otherwise all your posts just amount to "OP's guide is wrong because I say so".

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5760137664
    This is strictly about stats/itemization.

And I think I adequately explained why this guide sucks. Anyone with a solid understanding of Barbarian would agree. Unfortunately, the Barbarians without a solid understanding are the ones who depend on guides and are victimized by misinformation of this awful guide.
    Big thx from a newborn berserking warrior :) Thx alot.
    @Botchokoko (I am sorry in advance for pronouncing your name wrong) first of all I did not read all you wrote. As I said before, I welcome constructive criticism. While you might be partly right, this guide is far from awful. I just need to update it and do some tweaking with it. Still, believe it or not - countless people found this guide extremely useful and added me in-game in order to thank me for being able to do act 1/2 (before they were stuck on hell difficulty level).

You wrote in your first post that you considered this guide good when you were just a beginner. Well, when I wrote this guide everyone was still learning to play this game and adapting to different situations as they progressed through further inferno acts. Including me. Right now, I obviously know more than I did like 3 weeks ago, when I was writing this guide. I agree bro, there are some things in this guide that definitely need to be updated.

I killed Diablo on Inferno about 2 weeks ago with the build I described in this guide. There are for sure other viable (not necessarily "better" as you put it) ways to optimize your barbarian. As an example, I am not using Superstition at all now because I overgear content so much. I have like 1.1k + all resistances and 1.4k fire res thus I replace superstition with Bereserker Rage for better DPS output hence quicker, more effective and efficient farming with 5 stacks of NV.

The problem is, I recently lack time to update the whole thing. Lately I was focusing on progressing through Hardcore Inferno (killed butcher recently, aiming for Belial soon). Still, I want this guide to be up to date so stay tuned.

Oh and yeah, no hard feelings, keep your comments coming!
    T3 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world! :o
    @bokchoyn

Could you post your spec pls, I read your posts on battle.net good stuff, now I want to compare to this build.

Thanks,
    -Nert
    Quote from Gulaji

I agree with bokchoykn. This should be unpinned as it portrays this as the "only way" to play a barbarian. I came on here today to see what other people were saying about builds similar to mine (see: http://www.diablofan...sker-whirlwind/) only to find NOTHING because you all think that you absolutely have to be a revenge spammer with tons of resist and use frenzy with LoH etc.

Seriously, people, play the game. Try out new shit. Don't rely on other people's ideas. Take bits from their ideas and come up with your own! I'm not so arrogant to think my build is the best. In fact, I'm nearly certain that there are other builds that could be made to work. Mine might not be as good as some I haven't seen on here or thought of myself, and maybe it's not as good as this one, but FOR ME it's way more FUN. Plus, it still works... so quit flinging about this nonsense "you have to use this spec".

An important line you apparently missed when reading the OP:

Here are the abilities that I recommend using and that I find best. Of course a lot of things depend on your play style and personal preferences, hence I will later list other viable skills that you might choose to use.

So yeah, this isn't some "this is the only way to play" guide - it's quite literally an introduction to the inferno barbarian for those aren't necessarily veterans of Diablo or gaming in general. Just because you're well enough versed to make your own viable build doesn't mean everyone is.

This guide does exactly what you try to offer up as sage advice in your own: take bits and pieces and see what works for you.

Seriously, a little reading comprehension goes a long way.
    Great guide! +rep
    woohoooo!
    Great guide, thx for that.
    I was struggling at nightmare level act 2, with my ridiculous build with no survivability at all.
    After reading your guide i changed 92% of my build and (almost) facerolled nightmare and hell levels.
    I just cleared inferno act 1 with no issues tbh.

I only have 150 resistance and i am dual wielding weapons (no shields for me so far)
    Because of the low resistance i need to burst down champions / elites fast and constantly moving around. But it is doable and very enjoyable. I have no illusions about act 2 though. I am now farming act 1.

Dual wielding and 150 resistance probably gets me insta killed in act 2.
    But as soon as i get my resistance up i will surely try act 2.
    I refuse to use a shield though :)

Thx for the great work, it helped me a lot.
    I love this game, the only game that managed to pull me away after 7 years of only WoW
    I'm farming act 2 really easy now. Dual wielding with this build: http://us.battle.net...UXVQ!aZY!acZacb
    I used to have wotb and furious charge instead of overpower and sprint but after trying out some different stuff I find this build works much better.
    Stats are about:

40k hp
    26k dps
    600-700 AR buffed
    39% crit
    170 crit dmg
    420 loh
    @OP

Thanks for this guide. It has helped me so much.

I couldn't even think of playing any other way with my wizard as a sidekick.
    Devlolz ur a champion.
    I am so far off on my stats I dont know where to start. No wonder act 2 inferno has been so frustrating.
    Im currently at Zultan Khul, but I only have 100 - 250 resists and 25k health. My abilities are half defensive, half offensive and I have no life on hit >.<.
    God willing, this guide is gonna make this game fun again. I appreciate all the input from all the guys here too. Thanks.
    Excellent guide!
    hi
    Some people mentioned the overpower skill with revel rune here.
    i'm using overpower instead of furious charge but with the best rune for it:crushing advance.
    During 4 sec after using the skill , ALL MOB hitting you in melee or range will take 30% of the damage they deal AND PROC YOUR LOH.
    And it works with lava and some other environment too..
    in a build with a high crit rate, and 2000+loh , u can keep it on you in a big pack of mobs and gain an insame amount of hp.
    Plus with this skill and rune ghom is a joke...
    Quote from Gorbadh

Thx for the great work, it helped me a lot.
    I love this game, the only game that managed to pull me away after 7 years of only WoW

You remind me of me :D
    Quote from nicoG2

hi
    Some people mentioned the overpower skill with revel rune here.
    i'm using overpower instead of furious charge but with the best rune for it:crushing advance.
    During 4 sec after using the skill , ALL MOB hitting you in melee or range will take 30% of the damage they deal AND PROC YOUR LOH.
    And it works with lava and some other environment too..
    in a build with a high crit rate, and 2000+loh , u can keep it on you in a big pack of mobs and gain an insame amount of hp.
    Plus with this skill and rune ghom is a joke...

I find that itemizing that much LoH on any kind of budget really prohibits one from having great stats elsewhere. My approach to gearing is balance and getting the most out of every slot for my gold. I have str/vit/ar in every slot except weapons/jewlery (missing AR), %life, crit, and crit dmg on top of that where applicable, and LoH on my weapon and a ring where it was reasonable to get it without sacrificing elsewhere.

My LoH is a little under 1k because of this and with 900 ar, 9k armor, 50k hp I don't find that level of LoH enough to render crushing advance better than revenge or worthwhile taking the place of other cooldowns. I've got plenty of crit to keep it up a reasonable amount (close to 40% with weapons master), but the life return pales in comparison to revenge or even furious charge(dreadnaught).

Addendum: I use a sword and board build.
    Great guide for starting out, I used this a lot. Keep up the good work :)
    Quote from Garatyeran

Great guide for starting out, I used this a lot. Keep up the good work :)

Totally agree
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes