[GUIDE] How to become a sucessful and exceptional barbarian on inferno difficulty

Quote from Pavis

This guide boils down to "spend 60mill on gear and you can do inferno"

Great guide...

That's the entire guide for Inferno for everyone (the number of mil varies per class). Diablo is about gear, and less about everything else. Gear matters more in this game than any other i've played.
    Quote from Leil

I'm anticipating a buff to life leech

They've said life leech is balanced around where gear will be in a few months... since life on hit and life per second don't scale up with damage, they think life leech will be fine when everyone is more geared. They also said they might be wrong though, and if they are, they'll look at buffing it, ;) Either way, it'll be at least 2-3 months.
    Quote from FleckerMan

Quote from Leil

I'm anticipating a buff to life leech

They've said life leech is balanced around where gear will be in a few months... since life on hit and life per second don't scale up with damage, they think life leech will be fine when everyone is more geared. They also said they might be wrong though, and if they are, they'll look at buffing it, ;) Either way, it'll be at least 2-3 months.

I have life steal build work in progress. Works great so far, excellent vs packs of mobs. Cleared act II with dps build. Gathering more res/vit/dmg for act III atm
    Quote from Andarus

Just wait until Inferno is nerfed. I got 600 resi to all and 49k hp and have no chance in Act2.

You are doing something wrong. Act2 became super easy after reaching 600 resi and only 43k hp.
    Here are my 2 cents:

- Blue text on red background, seriously? (thats even scientifically proven that eyes hurt with that combination because blue is on one end of the visible spectrum and red on the other end)

- Enchantress: I personally find the "charm" spell does not really do what the tooltip says. The mob has an icon above the head and still attacks me, dunno I don't like it. I use the aoe knockback and it does aoe damage with a short cooldown, thats amazing. (My Enchantress has 3.6k damage... but thats not "weapon" damage... she has a 800 dps staff and ~2k int which results in 100% weapon damage beeing 16k)

- I favor Battle Rage over Wrath of the Berserker. Surely with Wrath you can graveyard camp elites but for longer fights 30% damage increase all the time is better than 100%+ for 15sec.

- You did not mention the most important passive for damage: Ruthless. It adds 5% crit chance and 50% critdamage. I myself now do have (with Battle Rage extra 3%) 30% critchance and 260% critdamage which is simply amazing. I crit for 30k with Frenzy and 50-60k with Revenge with a "shitty" 500 dps weapon.

Gear

Forget BiS lists, you can get good stuff relatively cheap. Sear the AH for items with Strength, Vit and All Resists. Items with STR and VIT

Also there are no gameplay hints which I find important:

Gameplay

1. Use the "Shift" key. With shift + left mousebutton pressed you can just stand there and hit and you will hit anything that comes close to you. And if enemies run away, you will still hit them. The range is pretty high and without shift your character will run after the enemies as soons as they get one step away. The most important thing about it is, you can control when your character moves and when not. No more accidently running into plaquged or desecrated because your character chases the mob.

2. Bind the "move" key. This might not be so important but can save your ass a few times. By defaut the "move" key is not bound... a lot of people bind "move" to space bar, I did bind it to my mouse thumb button. This key makes your character run to where you point. You might say that the left mousebutton does this as well but sometimes your screen is filled with mobs or the enemy is just too big and your character will attack instead of running. With the "move" key your character will move in the direction you are pointing and nothing else. Helped me save my ass a lot of times.
    Quote from Saenic

2. Bind the "move" key. This might not be so important but can save your ass a few times. By defaut the "move" key is not bound... a lot of people bind "move" to space bar, I did bind it to my mouse thumb button. This key makes your character run to where you point. You might say that the left mousebutton does this as well but sometimes your screen is filled with mobs or the enemy is just too big and your character will attack instead of running. With the "move" key your character will move in the direction you are pointing and nothing else. Helped me save my ass a lot of times.

I LOVE YOU!
    Quote from Gnarf

Quote from Schneider

a have question what is max attack speed u can have and hoiw do this Damage reduction work for a ahve 72% now whit out skills and is a use Relenless and Ignore pain a have so match but still take dmg like hell -.- so a start to think it is broken =P

it works multiplicative, so lets see here:
    72% is i guess from armor, 30% baseline dmg reduction for barb, 50% relentless and 65% ignore pain ends up as 96.6% dmg reduction...i think

edit: that is a LOT of dmg reduction but the more dmg reduction you have the less useful are abilities such as relentless and ignore pain because they add only few % to dmg reduction

for example: take dmg reduction from armor, barb baseline dmg reduction and relentless and you get 90.2% dmg reduction so in this case Ignore pain would give you only 6.4% dmg reduction which is 65% of the dmg you are taking and that is 9.8% (100%-90.2%) which means ignore pain does reduce dmg taken by 65% but since you were already taking only 9.8% dmg it actually reduces total dmg taken by 6.4% (6.4% / 9.8% =65%)

god i hope someone understands what im trying to say here because even i am getting confused already

I understand your point, but here is the flip side of why IP and such are still valuable - damage in Inferno is balanced around your 'baseline' damage reduction; that is passives+reasonable armor/res. So instead of looking at it from the DR scale of 0-100%, think of it from the scale of 90-100%.
    So if you are in a situation with your baseline defense you are only taking 10% of a monsters damage (90% DR), if you pop IP like you said, attacks that were taking away half your health are only going to take away <1/4 of your health. Instead of dying in 2 hits, you can live through 4+.
    However, I will agree, that stacking DR skills past your baseline, like IP+Relentless+Leap with 300% armor, then you Are going to be suffering negatively from the diminishing DR, because those diminishing returns are all falling within that baseline 90-100% DR.
    My 20 pesos.
    Decent weapon dmg, but that is not the best thing about it. Knockback, insanely good AoE knockback. It will help you survive A LOT. If it were not for seismic slam, I would still be struggling with Belial on inferno. Once I picked Shattered Ground rune, it became piss easy fight and problem of adds on phase 1&2 was solved. Cracking rift rune is also decent, if you want some more weapon dmg at the cost of smaller aoe and worse knockback.

I haven't used that since my toon was a lowbie, i switched to this spec this ability's knockback saved me from death.
    I had a run in with a rare pack with poison and a elite with molten, waller, jailer anyway the knockback saved my life and the range damage killed them.
    The one disadvantage i could see and someone else commented about this is you do have to try harder to keep up you rage but its not that hard, just a extra thing to watch.
    How viable do you find Overpower with 8% lifesteal rune instead of Pain Supression?
    Blizzard truely does not want Inferno to be doable by barbarians.

Amazing write up, thank you. But you just had to throw that in there... :)
    can someone here who has over 800 resists plz post a pic of your stats, for some reason im kinda in disbelief that you can get that much resist. im sure you can but im still shocked if you do. thanks
    -U.S ARMY VETERAN-
    Here is the TL;DR version:

Get 50-100 million gold in gear and go clear Inferno.

While it's very nice of you to take the time and effort to write a guide, this information is all pretty much standard for just about any Barbarian. I think it's kind of funny your post is titled how to become an "exceptional Barbarian" as though there is some real big trick to it. The trick is to overgear the content to the max, which no one but melee has to do right now.

You probably should have postponed this post until after the 1.03 patch because I'm sure a lot of this information will become immediately outdated by the impending changes.

Best of luck accruing the funds necessary to become an "exceptional Barbarian", fellow Barbs.
    Great guide, I always wanted to write up something as rich as this but I couldn't do it in the end. I must be slack off.

I had read through the entire thread and felt these missing and could be very useful when choosing particular gear / skill over the other:

Base Armor:

Armor shown on all gear + Strength + Vitality (Nerves of Steel)

*Shield adds on avg 1000 on your Base Armor without even counting block (will discuss below), it is a tough choice for barb to drop the shield due to the current situation of how the “Bonus Armor” work in game (see below)

*Nerves of Steel adds your base armor which values more than some of the "Bonus Armor" skills (see below)

Bonus Armor:

Tough as Nails + Warcry + Enchantress/Powered Armor + Leap / Iron Impact

*These works slightly different than “Base Armor”

Example: A barb has 6 000 base armor, without any of the skills, after he / she equip / cast the following:

“Tough as Nails” (25%)
    6 000 + 6 000 x 0.25 = 7 500 (1 500 gain, 25%)

“Warcry” (20%)
    7 500 + 6 000 x 0.20 = 8 700 (1 200 gain, 16%) ***NOT 9 000, this is where a lot of people get confused, you can not use 7500 x 1.2 here, the bonus armor doesn't work towards other bonus armor.

Enchantress/”Powered Armor” (15%)
    8 700 + 6 000 x 0.15 = 9 600 (900 gain, 10%)

“Leap”(300%)
    9 600 + 6 000 x 3 = 27 600 (18 000 gain, 188%)

Damage Reduction :

For monsters at lv63 (Inferno act III/IV), the damage reduction works as below:

DR% Armor = Armor / (Armor + mlvl*50) = Armor / (Armor + 3150) x 100%

DR% Resistance = Resistance / (Resistance + mlvl*5) = Resistance / (Resistance + 315) x 100%

*Armor works against all damage source including all elemental damage.

Other % DR include “Reduce melee damage by %”, “Reduce range damage by %” or “Reduce damage done by elite %” etc etc

Total Damage dealt:

Damage x (100% - Armor DR%) x (100% - Resistance DR%) x (100% - Other %) x (100% - 30 native DR%)

For a barb with 10 000 Armor, 1000 All resist, 20% reduction from melee attack from "String of Ears", a lvl 63 mob hits him / her for 500 000 damage, he / she takes:

500 000 x (100% - 76%) x (100% - 76%) x (100% - 20%) x (100% - 30%) = 16128

(by the way, there could be a typo of the barb passive damage reduction, I remember it was 30%, not 25%.)

Some interesting discovery:

The “String of Ears”
    For the above example, without taking the 20% into account.

500 000 x (100% - 76%) x (100% - 76%) x (100% - 20%) x (100% - 30%) = 20160

Compared to the result above

20160 – 16128 = 4032 HP. (118 Vitality)

If the mob hit for 2 x the damage, then it reduces even more to 8064 HP (236 Vitality)

The interesting fact is that since all belt can offer “+ life %” as well as “+life leach %”. The common “String of Ears” is only great against heavy hitting monsters, and after patch 1.03, it could be less efficient. The best "String of Ears" could have great stats with best rolls are still currently the best belt to have.

Life on Hit:

A note for “Frenzy”, the trigger abilities such as “Life on Hit” or “Bleed” etc, are scaled down with 0.75 modifiers. This doesn’t mean “Life on Hit” in retrospect is less effective, however this does mean that barb gets less from “Frenzy” with "Life on Hit" compared with other skills. Still “Frenzy” is arguably the best skill right now for barb.

My 2cents.

Edited, correction for typos.
    Tnx for this, I realy need it it :D
    Quote from devlolz666

Quote from NinjaPlease

Your math on Leap; Iron Impact is off. You would go from 9k to 36k armor - it adds 300%, effectively quadrupling your armor.

That is wrong actually, I have around 8k armor and after using Leap it increases up to 25k.

im pretty sure it says increase armor by 300%? so having around 8k armor after using leap will increase it to 25k, 8--- x 3 = 24-26 kish, correct me if im wrong
    Hi,
    I am wondering, if you are able to clear A4 with current build. For me, seismic slam is not as big help as charge/jump (and I dont really see the problem with p1 p2 Belial either, revenge + survival cd should be enough).
    Regards,
    Hi,

thanks for all the work you put into this!
    Also some remarks from me.

I tested IAS combined with LOH and to me it seems that LOH is normalized among Attack speed. Meeing that the amount auf loh you recieve decreases the faster you hit. For instance if i ahve 700 LOH and i punch enemys with 1 attack per second i acctually recieve 700 health per hit. now if i equip my 1.55 dagger and hit with that i roughly recieve 450 health per hit. I have only done little testing if this holds true for all levels of attack speed, but from the first grasps it seems that atk speed does not bring additional benefits to loh.

As for frenzy, even at 5 stacks the same amount per hit is healed, so i first thought "yeah, very nice, break the system" in that scenario ias would indirectly increase health gain while using frenzy. But than I read a blue post saying that a lot of abilities use internal proc cds even for loh, as example the stated frenzy where if you are at 5 stacks not all hits result into a health gain but only 75% of the hits. Personally i have NOT tested this, so can someelse confirm this? Or are there generally tests around for the health benefit of a high attack speed?

A furhter note on ATK speed, since I am wielding a slower weapon I have the feeling that it takes longer to activate leap or charge, so does a slow weapon still locks your next action like d2 did? (according to the animation i allready hit, but leap is still not activating)

Just from the feel of it I heal roughly the same regardless of how much attacks I have per second.

next point. Maniac vs sidearm
    Sidearm is not picked because of the "aoe" capability but because it leads to an increased overall dps, even mith maniac at 5 stacks sidearm is supposed to be the highest single target damage increase. (But then again, this is only a blunt statement I read, never challanged it or made acctual calculation to proove right - so if there is allready some math around please tell me :))

As for seismic slam.
    for what reason would you like to knockback enemies?! all your abilities to heal revolve around hitting the mobs, be it furious charge, revenge or simply LOH.
    Also I notice while wielding a slow weapon there is a chance that your frenzy runs out before you can refresh it if no mob is around.

Note about myself, I am only farming act 1 currently. I am at 38k hp, 800 resis and 9.5 k armor (with shout and enchantress) but most champion packs and even some whites just rape me in act 2 (currently trying to "build" Kulle) My dps is low with only 5 k, but even 10k wouldn't safe my ass apperently. And no I don't stand in shit either :P I move out of most before the first tick can hit me, thats why i run with leap, charge AND ignore pain. But even if i pop IP i drop like crazy.

And as a second note, I love mind controll! thats how i beat Magdha ~_~ kitet the berserkers, enchantress controlled them, they killed themselves.
    On that note, if you have to go back to kiting a lot to beat shit sprint + tornado rune is nice as well as charge with the reduced CD for every target hit. (charge also knocks enemies for a brief moment, so you usually don't take damage while charging through them)
    Ty for a nice guide. Even though im not agreeing on everything you say.

I dont get the fact that alot of ppl here are complaining that 600 res to all is to little and that they die in 1 hit in act 2. Im at about 600 +/- some on different elements. But what i dont agree on is the insanely low dps ppl are talking about. Im on 23k now without any frenzy stacks and the elite packs are dying like flies before my Leap wears off. Berserk and Earthquake together is OP!!!! My suggestion is that ppl try out different builds and remember that there is no "shared" CDs so you can use 2 abilities from the same "skills". Find the one you feel comfortable with and that suits ure gear the best. But also 600 resistance with warcry buff is a must.

Hope this helps :D
    i'm reading alot of "CANT DO ACT 3 WITH 750 RESISTANCE" I myself completed act 3 with 804 resistance to all (yes this is slightly more) but honestly it didnt feel as too little or "insanely hard" good playstyle and alot of mario bross times made it viable, so i think his standards for the acts arn't that wrong as many here say they are.

Is it TANK AND SPANK 750 resistance, NO
    Is it possible with 750 resistance , YES.

So honestly people this guide is a great adition to many fellow barbs out there, great work and a good read.

I've never considered seismic slam myself i use (for all acts) the following -

Frenzy - Sidearm (when i coudn't clear acts with 5 stacks on the end boss i did respec my frenzy to maniac on bosses but now i can do it with 5 stacks i stick with sidearm all the way)
    Ignore pain - 7sec (I simply dont do enough dmg for the heal to be affective)
    ground stomp- the run with 24yards and pulling them closer
    leap - iron impact ( the 300% armor makes you really tanky)
    revenge - provocation (no brainer)
    war cry - impunity (Resistance is all! )

Again Keep up the good work and soon we'll see plenty of guides.
    I would like to add something to the discussion:

I like my DPS while still going for Tank and I did it without IAS.

I am currently in Act3 with 1k+ Phys Res and 800+ other Res while still at 20k+ damage.
    And there is Room for improvement with my 1h weapon still as it is only 850 DPS.
    I did it by going for Crit Chance and Crit Damage.
    It was hard to get gear with Crit in addition to Res AND Vit AND Str but possible.
    I am glad now that I did go this way and not for IAS which will get nerfed.
    My build is this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVXSkP!bVZ!acaccZ

Basically a tanky build that guys like Warguyver are doing too.
    I just swapped Ruthless and WotB in there.
    Ruthless is the best Crit passive of all the Classes in D3.
    WotB gives more DPS increase when going crit than it would give when having the same DPS with IAS instead.

The only thing I am struggling with atm. is getting enough LOH. Part of the reason for it is that I have socketed an Emerald I am hoping to get some more decent LOH for Rings/Amulets while still keeping some RES/VIT/STR/CRIT I have on there. Might cost me plenty though.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes