[GUIDE] How to become a sucessful and exceptional barbarian on inferno difficulty

Baa every time i read about ACT 2+ i cry a little. I am a 2h barb but going to 1h + board to get pat act 2. Trying to get a SoE and a Stormshield at moment but prices on AH are crazy it is sad when i must drop 10+ mil on just 2 items in order to get past ACT 2...
    Quote from Phoee

Loved the guide, really helped me progress through Act 2 Inferno and dive into Act 3 without any significant problems.

One thing I would like more advice/discussion on however is group play. I am in the lucky (or unlucky?) position of usually having at least two friends in my game, often 4 people total, and I feel this completely turns around the style of play/skills needed for a barbarian.

When I am by myself or just with one friend, most everything in Act 3 is tankable with my current gear and many of the skills/glyphs taken from OPs fantastic guide. We don't have too many issues with me meatshielding and finishing mobs off whilst 1 glass cannon buddy deals dps from a distance.

However, when you bring 3 or 4 people into the game, the situation changes massively and I become much less useful. The mobs start punching holes in my armor a lot more easily and I am unable to stand up to Champion mobs without having Ignore Pain active, and even white mobs start giving me trouble as my relatively poor 9k dps is no longer enough to finish things off. I am using Frenzy with Maniac, but this is starting to seem useless because the rare times I can get up to 5 stacks I am usually about to die anyway.

I have been using http://eu.battle.net...RVkP!bVU!cZbccZ as my build for single and multiplay, and as stated previously this build is nice for me alone or with 1 buddy.

I am thinking of trying out http://eu.battle.net...XSkP!bVc!aZaccZ this build for multiplay as I am playing with ranged dps friends always, no other barbs or monks, but would love some feedback on this and any other suggestions/comments.

I don't have my exact char stats (am at work atm), but I'm currently around the following (with War Cry up):

Armor: 10,500
    Resistances: around 69% / 70%
    HP: around 60k
    DPS: 9k
    Avoidance: 21% Dodge + 15% Block

And yes I am looking for strength gear as I would like to push the dps up, so no need to tell me how crap that is :P

Thanks for any constructive feedback

Your second build looks better, would recommend replacing seismic slam for revenge since you'll be the one in the stew mixing it up with the mobs, you'll get good dps and health return from revenge (and provocation rune increases proc rate).

Also if you're running 3-4 person groups, might want to consider replacing WotB with either IP or Threatening Shout for some additional mitigation skills since the other group members will mostly be responsible for dealing damage.
    I'm not entirely sure why this was pinned considering we're about to see some drastic changes in 1.0.3 but ok. It's been all but 100% confirmed by Blizzard that DPS is going to take a huge role in the coming updates. Doing as much damage as possible while coming up with creative ways to stay alive seems to be the antithesis of tanking. By definition you stand there and take hits, and hope to live.

Life on Hit seems viable, along with some design tweaks I'm almost certain will be preferred soon.
    Well, now you have additional 50% damage reduction which gives total of 115% damage reduction for OH FUCK situations.

It's wrong. Damage reduction cannot be more than 100%. It's immortality.

The correct formula is 1-(1-0,5)*(1-0,65)=0,825=82,5%
    Thus, Barbarian has 82,5% damage reduction while Relentless and Ignore Pain are active.
    Quote from Leil

I'm not entirely sure why this was pinned considering we're about to see some drastic changes in 1.0.3 but ok. It's been all but 100% confirmed by Blizzard that DPS is going to take a huge role in the coming updates. Doing as much damage as possible while coming up with creative ways to stay alive seems to be the antithesis of tanking. By definition you stand there and take hits, and hope to live.

Life on Hit seems viable, along with some design tweaks I'm almost certain will be preferred soon.

To be honest i will believe those changes when i see them, and from what i have seen out of blizz i would not expect them to fix dual or 2h barbs anytime soon.
    a have question what is max attack speed u can have and hoiw do this Damage reduction work for a ahve 72% now whit out skills and is a use Relenless and Ignore pain a have so match but still take dmg like hell -.- so a start to think it is broken =P
    Quote from Schneider

a have question what is max attack speed u can have and hoiw do this Damage reduction work for a ahve 72% now whit out skills and is a use Relenless and Ignore pain a have so match but still take dmg like hell -.- so a start to think it is broken =P

it works multiplicative, so lets see here:
    72% is i guess from armor, 30% baseline dmg reduction for barb, 50% relentless and 65% ignore pain ends up as 96.6% dmg reduction...i think

edit: that is a LOT of dmg reduction but the more dmg reduction you have the less useful are abilities such as relentless and ignore pain because they add only few % to dmg reduction

for example: take dmg reduction from armor, barb baseline dmg reduction and relentless and you get 90.2% dmg reduction so in this case Ignore pain would give you only 6.4% dmg reduction which is 65% of the dmg you are taking and that is 9.8% (100%-90.2%) which means ignore pain does reduce dmg taken by 65% but since you were already taking only 9.8% dmg it actually reduces total dmg taken by 6.4% (6.4% / 9.8% =65%)

god i hope someone understands what im trying to say here because even i am getting confused already
    Quote from MaddogBG012788

Baa every time i read about ACT 2+ i cry a little. I am a 2h barb but going to 1h + board to get pat act 2. Trying to get a SoE and a Stormshield at moment but prices on AH are crazy it is sad when i must drop 10+ mil on just 2 items in order to get past ACT 2...

You dont need those two to get to act 4. I got my SoE , stormshield after i got into act 4 . Just get a balance between dmg and defense ( 1k resis ,600+ life on hit ) atleast till u get to act 3 . You want very good items in no time? start farming man
    Oh i have been farming, but the pricess are going out the roof, you cant find a stormshield with 30% block for less than 10mil, granted you can prob get a SoE with17+% damage reduction for about 1-3mil if you get lucky.
    Just try to look for a good Rare Sacred Shield with good stats instead. It will be much cheaper, and while it might not have ~30% block chance, it blocks for more damage than a Stormshield and can be just as effective if not better.

Just because someone says an item is BiS doesn't mean there aren't AMAZING alternatives that will be much cheaper.
    Dude thank goodness for english!!!
    LOL

Thanks for your GUIDE it help like a mother, i took the skills set as given and also worked very hard on my resistances which has allowed me to progress to INF Act 2!! Which is still damm hard but ill manage with your tips

thanks for the headsup

Tintin
    Can someone tell me if attack speed for gloves worth? or in any other gear even with frenzy for better performance on life on hits?
    Quote from eldimmy

Can someone tell me if attack speed for gloves worth? or in any other gear even with frenzy for better performance on life on hits?

%AS is at this moment in time like the best DPS stat, though I would say that stacking it is not such a good idea given the fact they already said the following: they are looking at this and will nerf it either by adding DR or lowering the effectiveness of AS. People feel forced to buy gear with AS and that is not what Blizzard wants.

Go for AS on your rings and focus on vit/str/all resists on your other pieces of gear, that way you will be able to avoid huge dps drop once they add DR.
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Obsidian ring of the Zodiac is an AWESOME ring for that.
    God mine yesterday for 2.5mil :

83str
    30int
    30dex (useless but adds up nevertheless)
    51vit
    23 @res
    15% ias
    10% cc reduction
    Ignore loss

I'd rather have more @res or vit or LoH on it, but it wouldn't have cost 2.5mil :D
    (I'm 2h Barb, Act 3 - Ghom)

On another point. Did someone do the maths on SoE over a high-rolled Archon belt ? I don't think the reduction bring THAT much considering you can lose up to 60@res (90 with WCry)/150str/150vit/200+ armor
    Ok i got a questiong how much dps should i be aiming for as 1h + shield for ACT 3 inferno? I am at 11.5k dps with freezy and I am starting to hit enrage on some champs any sugestions would be apreciated!
    Yeah I stopped reading when he said "115% damage reduction".
    Whenever I encounter a barbarian I check his age and if old enough, offer to buy him a drink. Alcohol takes the pain of barbarian inferno away in the blink of a pie.
    Quote from Skelly

Yeah I stopped reading when he said "115% damage reduction".

No need to be mean, i'll fix this typo soon bro. :
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    This guide boils down to "spend 60mill on gear and you can do inferno"

Great guide...
    Quote from devlolz666
    The further you progress through acts, the better gear you get. So inferno act IV drops the best gear in the whole game. You won’t be able to obtain 1k+ dps weapon by farming butcher endlessly on inferno act I.

Cool guide; Make sure to update this part when 1.0.3 goes live. Best gear drop chances will be lower than Act IV, but Act I will be capable of dropping the best gear, :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes