[GUIDE] How to become a sucessful and exceptional barbarian on inferno difficulty

Quote from Warguyver

Additionally, I can't find myself justifying WotB. If you're going to run WotB and zerg down elite packs piece by piece, then why not go all in with Earthquake + Ignore Pain? Leap + Furious Charge + Threatening shout is a semi kite spec that revolves around grinding down elite packs slowly but safely.

I can see the advantages/disadvantages of both approaches, but a Leap + Furious Charge + WotB build confuses me greatly.

I dont zerg down packs 1 mob at a time, generally I can kill most every pack I come across but WotB also makes it quite a bit faster and makes packs I could usually not or have trouble killing killable. Leap+charge might sound like overkill however most packs have atleast 1 of the following plague, desecration, molten and firechains vortex etc etc. This is where you absolutely will love to have both. Get walled in? Leap out? Get vortexed back into the wall ontop of frozen orbs? Charge out. They drop frozen orbs? Charge out leap back in. The utility is just amazing you just have to get used to using them.
    Quote from SaracenS

Quote from Warguyver

Additionally, I can't find myself justifying WotB. If you're going to run WotB and zerg down elite packs piece by piece, then why not go all in with Earthquake + Ignore Pain? Leap + Furious Charge + Threatening shout is a semi kite spec that revolves around grinding down elite packs slowly but safely.

I can see the advantages/disadvantages of both approaches, but a Leap + Furious Charge + WotB build confuses me greatly.

I dont zerg down packs 1 mob at a time, generally I can kill most every pack I come across but WotB also makes it quite a bit faster and makes packs I could usually not or have trouble killing killable. Leap+charge might sound like overkill however most packs have atleast 1 of the following plague, desecration, molten and firechains vortex etc etc. This is where you absolutely will love to have both. Get walled in? Leap out? Get vortexed back into the wall ontop of frozen orbs? Charge out. They drop frozen orbs? Charge out leap back in. The utility is just amazing you just have to get used to using them.

That's my point; if you're not zerging down packs 1 mob at a time, then Marauder's rage is -way- more damage if you're looking for damage.

I'm a huge fan of leap + charge, but this build usually requires a long time with elite packs. Wotb is terrible for long duration anything.
    warguyver,
    can u plz post ur passives and skills that ur running right now? i read the thread but i dont think u ever stated what skills u use. im currently struggling so im moving things around. just now picked up on the charge + dreadnought rune. right now i got weapons master, nerves of steel, and tough as nails for passives. my skills are war cry, revenge, battle rage, seismic slam, frenzy.i have one skill spot that always seem to change. between leap, threatening shout. ur help is aprreciated sir.
    This seems to have just gotten skipped over, so I'll ask again. Why take Weapons Master for +15% damage when you could have +30% damage from Brawler up almost all the time (and most importantly, at the beginning of champ packs when they are at their hardest)? You'll lose the boost on most bosses, but the general consensus seems to be that champ packs are the true challenge, not bosses.
    Quote from rammerjammer24

warguyver,
    can u plz post ur passives and skills that ur running right now? i read the thread but i dont think u ever stated what skills u use. im currently struggling so im moving things around. just now picked up on the charge + dreadnought rune. right now i got weapons master, nerves of steel, and tough as nails for passives. my skills are war cry, revenge, battle rage, seismic slam, frenzy.i have one skill spot that always seem to change. between leap, threatening shout. ur help is aprreciated sir.

I have a thread here with my gear, stats, and build.
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/45875-5-stack-valor-solo-inferno-diablo/
    Quote from Entropy42

This seems to have just gotten skipped over, so I'll ask again. Why take Weapons Master for +15% damage when you could have +30% damage from Brawler up almost all the time (and most importantly, at the beginning of champ packs when they are at their hardest)? You'll lose the boost on most bosses, but the general consensus seems to be that champ packs are the true challenge, not bosses.

Well, some people just do not like to depend on having 3 targets around I guess... If you feel like it is better than the other passives then just take it. ;) As you said yourself, it becomes useless for boss fights (without adds) or after you are left with less than three champions from a pack.

If you could only change your abilities without losing NV buff eh... :
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Awesome post. What I'm most blown away about is how constructive this thread has stayed and how little QQ I've seen (losing some faith in the community from some of the threads on Dfans) stoked to see one stay classy. Work's held me back from staying on top of progression in D3 (F&%$ the real world) so threads like these have really been an asset.

Finally been getting my feet wet in Inferno throughout the week and I must say, even though it's only A1 and I'm about to hit the wall, haven't died yet and I'm finally comfortable with my build. I was worried quite a bit at first from hearing the A2 stories and the Barb QQ right after release. I started to struggle as well end of hell (was literally stacking only Vit lolol) but made the gear adjusts, doubled my armor, got 300+res, and holy shit the difference.

Overall, I have renewed faith in the class and the game. Not everything is where it needs to be obviously and I do want to see 2h builds become more viable, but Im keeping hope for 1.3 and Blizz polishing out this puppy. My only remaining concern: longevity of the game as gear floods the market. Ladder seasons anyone?

Party on
    Quote from devlolz666

Quote from Entropy42

Well, some people just do not like to depend on having 3 targets around I guess... If you feel like it is better than the other passives then just take it. ;) As you said yourself, it becomes useless for boss fights (without adds) or after you are left with less than three champions from a pack.

If you could only change your abilities without losing NV buff eh... :

I guess another factor is that in Inferno we usually have room for at most 1 offensive passive, and most builds don't use a Fury spender, so the 25% from that passive is sufficiently more reliable than the 30% from Brawler.

I ended up replacing IP in my build with WotB and found it really great for farming Act 1 inferno (my gear is not good enough to do act 2 at all). It really speeds up champ packs, and allows me to nearly kill the head of an Invulnerable Minions pack before WotB expires.
    My build: http://us.battle.net...SXPk!cbe!accaZc
    Gear is around 40k HP, 8k DPS, 180 Resists
    I'm considering swapping out WotB for Threatening Shout Harvest or switching Frenzy to Maniac, but I don't think I have enough other damage in my build to make Maniac better than Sidearm.
    Solid read. Just a few comments on things I saaw (or didn't see).

Some typos I found: pashe (phase), worser (worse), Painn (Pain), sitatuins (situations), If you pick to much damage (too),

Some comments on skills...
    Wrath of the Berserker also gives you immediate immunity to CC effects (breaks any current CC on you as well), this is totally worth noting.

Your math on Leap; Iron Impact is off. You would go from 9k to 36k armor - it adds 300%, effectively quadrupling your armor.

Ground Stomp's stun is less effective (Not 4sec) because (perhaps its only certain ones like rares/bosses/etc.) Inferno mobs have CC reduction.
    Quote from NinjaPlease

Solid read. Just a few comments on things I saaw (or didn't see).

Some typos I found: pashe (phase), worser (worse), Painn (Pain), sitatuins (situations), If you pick to much damage (too),

Some comments on skills...
    Wrath of the Berserker also gives you immediate immunity to CC effects (breaks any current CC on you as well), this is totally worth noting.

Your math on Leap; Iron Impact is off. You would go from 9k to 36k armor - it adds 300%, effectively quadrupling your armor.

Ground Stomp's stun is less effective (Not 4sec) because (perhaps its only certain ones like rares/bosses/etc.) Inferno mobs have CC reduction.

Thanks for that mate. ;)
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Okay, i'm just lost. Either i'm a complete failure or i'm really unlucky, or both.

First of all, i've been farming Act 1 for quite some time now. I've seen 1 legendary in my entire lvl-up time which was a shitty one at best, which sold for not that much. Otherwise i've basicly been vendoring all my shit, since checking the auction house I could get 25 to 50k for it at best, and even those were not selling when I tried it.

So money wise i can basicly do shit, and i just don't have a fucking clue how everyone is walking around with shitloads of gold. Aside from that, farming act 1 is just absolute piss, there's nothing I can't kill, and I can do everything along the way, without skipping or anything. Sometimes i'll die (rarely) but 1 thing to note is the obvious fact that it takes me AGES to kill shit. I have a terrible weapon, and during all this time all I got was lousy 2handers that won't help me any further in act 2.

I've never found a awesome blue, yellow or higher so far, and i get the feeling that i won't find any anyway in act 1. I'm completely done with act 1 and want to continue, but act 2 champion packs are just too damn insane for me. I can survive a little bit, but the time it takes me to actually kill something is just too damn high. Obvious reason being that i have a shitty weapon, but i can't FIND anything better either, nor can I buy anything because i just don't have any goddamn money.

I could really use some pointers on what i'm doing wrong or where i should improve, because in a few more act 1 runs i'm gonna go nuts with boredom.

My stats.

Have a look please, and if possible, tell me what I should do. :P

Thanks in advance!

[Edit]
    My build btw.
    http://us.battle.net...PVkX!beV!acZcca

In the screenshot I have call of the ancients, but that was more for the lolz than anything serious.
    It's nice to know I'm already on the right track without having read forums before and not even being in Inferno yet.

Just to add to all the Furious Charge love, the ability breaks the jailor affix (leap doesn't). That plus leap is amazing and dare I say mandatory mobility against hard hitters and arcane/desecrators/moltens.

Also a quick question. I'm torn up about what rune I'll be using for Seismic Slam. I'm going to stick to that ability cause if you get cornered against those pesky molten/desecrator mobs with FS and leap on cd, seismic slam is a life saver. I'm split between strength from earth and shattered ground. The increased damage + knockback on shattered ground is super helpful for kiting while the reduced rage cost from strength from earth nets higher overall damage + greater spammability.
    Quote from NinjaPlease

That is wrong actually, I have around 8k armor and after using Leap it increases up to 25k.
    Quote from devlolz666

Quote from NinjaPlease

That is wrong actually, I have around 8k armor and after using Leap it increases up to 25k.

Yeah blizzard is fucking terrible at writing skill tooltips. The thing i loved most about guild wars was that everything did precisely what the discription said it did
    Quote from SaracenS

I also disagree with the idea that 2h barbs are not viable right now. They are extremely viable and they kill elite packs 2x as fast as I do. Their problem boils down to the fact they can't pick up revenge while maintaining their ability to zerg elites which means that white mobs take forever to kill. For this reason I think sword board is better for the moment, but for the moment only. I have a friend who 2h plows through a3 siegebreaker 5 stack runs, skips all white mobs and ends up doing 15-20min runs. Elite packs for him last about the same time as wrath takes to expire.

would you care to elaborate why revenge is not viable for a 2h barb? As a 2h user myself, I'm struggling halfway thru act2, having to skip some of the harder packs. Maybe you could link me to his profile or a sketch of his build? cheers
    Quote from Sn0x0r

Okay, i'm just lost. Either i'm a complete failure or i'm really unlucky, or both.

First of all, i've been farming Act 1 for quite some time now. I've seen 1 legendary in my entire lvl-up time which was a shitty one at best, which sold for not that much. Otherwise i've basicly been vendoring all my shit, since checking the auction house I could get 25 to 50k for it at best, and even those were not selling when I tried it.

So money wise i can basicly do shit, and i just don't have a fucking clue how everyone is walking around with shitloads of gold. Aside from that, farming act 1 is just absolute piss, there's nothing I can't kill, and I can do everything along the way, without skipping or anything. Sometimes i'll die (rarely) but 1 thing to note is the obvious fact that it takes me AGES to kill shit. I have a terrible weapon, and during all this time all I got was lousy 2handers that won't help me any further in act 2.

I've never found a awesome blue, yellow or higher so far, and i get the feeling that i won't find any anyway in act 1. I'm completely done with act 1 and want to continue, but act 2 champion packs are just too damn insane for me. I can survive a little bit, but the time it takes me to actually kill something is just too damn high. Obvious reason being that i have a shitty weapon, but i can't FIND anything better either, nor can I buy anything because i just don't have any goddamn money.

I could really use some pointers on what i'm doing wrong or where i should improve, because in a few more act 1 runs i'm gonna go nuts with boredom.

My stats.

Have a look please, and if possible, tell me what I should do. :P

Thanks in advance!

[Edit]
    My build btw.
    http://us.battle.net...PVkX!beV!acZcca

In the screenshot I have call of the ancients, but that was more for the lolz than anything serious.

I'm just in the process of finishing up Act 2. Looking at your stats, the categories I'd suggest improving are: Armor, Life Per Hit, Block Chance and Damage.

Armor: I'm sitting at over 10k right now, but 9k is the common threshold people suggest reaching. You can also use an Enchantress, which will give you an Armor boost.

Life Per Hit: Keep your eye out for a Life Per Hit Ammy. They're pricy, but you can get a 500-600 LPH one cheap enough if you're persistant (I bought a 600 LPH for 350k, which remains my biggest purchase...it's also the most impactful purchase you'll make, going from 0-600 in one piece of gear -- since acquiring it, I can kill Butcher by just holding down left click to Frenzy and not moving out of the flames).

Block Chance: Look for a shield with a higher block chance -- it's also a good opportunity to add some armor -- just aim for it to have a good chuck of one other needed stat.

Damage: I bought an 860 DPS Axe for 194k (my second most expensive purchase). Again, just keep your eye out on the AH for a good price. You NEED to be using an AH weapon as none of the drops in Act 1 will be close to that damage.

Keep in mind though, it's important to not let your other stats start to slide as a result. Your Res and Health are both in good shape, so do what you can to keep them where they are. As for how to make the funds, get used to doing Butcher runs. You likely won't find any useful gear, but each run should net you about 50k in less than an hour. (FYI, I was doing butcher runs in MF gear for awhile and I don't think it's worth it -- it slows you down and just nets an inconsequential amount of additional useless gear.)

I'm at work now, but here is an estimate on my stats and I'm fine in Act 2:
    Damage: 8.5k
    Armor: 10k+
    Block Chance: 23%
    Res: 800-900
    Health: 37.5k
    Life Per Hit: 600

I'm doing what I can to improve my Health and Damage now without losing other stats (I lost a ton of health when I got my Ammy).
    Very nice guide. Please stick it, moderators.
    Quote from derpinger

Quote from devlolz666

Quote from NinjaPlease

Yeah blizzard is fucking terrible at writing skill tooltips. The thing i loved most about guild wars was that everything did precisely what the discription said it did

Yeah, that tooltip just confused the hell out of me.
    Quote from Andarus

Just wait until Inferno is nerfed. I got 600 resi to all and 49k hp and have no chance in Act2.

It is fine as it is, we can already beat the game and most champions and elite at this point, sure some are worse than others but it is mostly due to the base mob you are facing. I have great fears that Inferno will soon enough with nerfs become faceroll easy,
    Loved the guide, really helped me progress through Act 2 Inferno and dive into Act 3 without any significant problems.

One thing I would like more advice/discussion on however is group play. I am in the lucky (or unlucky?) position of usually having at least two friends in my game, often 4 people total, and I feel this completely turns around the style of play/skills needed for a barbarian.

When I am by myself or just with one friend, most everything in Act 3 is tankable with my current gear and many of the skills/glyphs taken from OPs fantastic guide. We don't have too many issues with me meatshielding and finishing mobs off whilst 1 glass cannon buddy deals dps from a distance.

However, when you bring 3 or 4 people into the game, the situation changes massively and I become much less useful. The mobs start punching holes in my armor a lot more easily and I am unable to stand up to Champion mobs without having Ignore Pain active, and even white mobs start giving me trouble as my relatively poor 9k dps is no longer enough to finish things off. I am using Frenzy with Maniac, but this is starting to seem useless because the rare times I can get up to 5 stacks I am usually about to die anyway.

I have been using http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeRVkP!bVU!cZbccZ as my build for single and multiplay, and as stated previously this build is nice for me alone or with 1 buddy.

I am thinking of trying out http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeXSkP!bVc!aZaccZ this build for multiplay as I am playing with ranged dps friends always, no other barbs or monks, but would love some feedback on this and any other suggestions/comments.

I don't have my exact char stats (am at work atm), but I'm currently around the following (with War Cry up):

Armor: 10,500
    Resistances: around 69% / 70%
    HP: around 60k
    DPS: 9k
    Avoidance: 21% Dodge + 15% Block

And yes I am looking for strength gear as I would like to push the dps up, so no need to tell me how crap that is :P

Thanks for any constructive feedback
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes