help please! cant keep up WOTB

I have read the guides stickied here explaining the mechanics of WW, sprint, and WOTB and how to maintain 100% uptime. I BELIEVE i am following them correctly, but i just simply cant keep WOTB up. I can only gain around 3-4 bonus seconds. I do not have a clue what I am doing wrong. Is there any tips or suggestions you can give me? I do not have any way to record my gameplay, so all I can do is post my profile and hope my problem lies in my gear. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gooner-1852/hero/3689299
    while youre whirling, spam sprint and battle rage. you gain bonus time by fury GAINED... you dont gain fury past 100 so you have to keep using and gaining and using and gaining. Also i reckon you may be playing on an mp level that's too low for your gear. what mp do you farm on?
    What he said + Don't pickup all items. You can't have WOTB up all the time and pickup everything. So basically only jewels and legendaries, or say goodbuy to WOTB.

I also do believe your Crit chance is too low. You should get at least 50 with passive.

while youre whirling, spam sprint and battle rage. you gain bonus time by fury GAINED... you dont gain fury past 100 so you have to keep using and gaining and using and gaining. Also i reckon you may be playing on an mp level that's too low for your gear. what mp do you farm on?

That explains a lot. I'm constantly at full fury yet never gaining any bonus seconds and was wondering why and was also wondering why barb videos i watched people were spamming battle rage. Thank you.

Also, i usually play on MP1 when farming.

Quote from IcepickD

What he said + Don't pickup all items. You can't have WOTB up all the time and pickup everything. So basically only jewels and legendaries, or say goodbuy to WOTB.

I also do believe your Crit chance is too low. You should get at least 50 with passive.

Yea when im going for high WOTB uptime i pick up almost nothing. I am getting no luck crafting a hellfire ring with crit% on it. that + i am saving up to buy an IKT helm will give me another 8-9 crit which will push me past 50. More crit definitely = more fury gain, but i think the first post about making sure im not at fury cap is where im going wrong. Thank you for the input though.
    MP1 is way too low for your dps to maintain wotb. With your dps you should be at least MP4-5 or else you won't be able to generate enough rage because you will kill things before tornados have time to tick much at all.
    When pursuing low MPs Ground stomp outranks WOTB by quite a large margin, it has some pretty cool effects. When you reach a monster power more suitable for a permanent WOTB then I warmly suggest introducing both Whirlwind and a main nuke (HotA) for a more fulfilling experience.
    Quote from phuzi0n

MP1 is way too low for your dps to maintain wotb. With your dps you should be at least MP4-5 or else you won't be able to generate enough rage because you will kill things before tornados have time to tick much at all.

I choose MP1 because I can just roll through once and my one WW hit and tornados kill off everything. I do this to get as much XP/hour as possible. With the new XP bonuses to paragon levels, is going up to MP4-5 in my gear going to be better(in terms of XP gain)?

Quote from Strafir

When pursuing low MPs Ground stomp outranks WOTB by quite a large margin, it has some pretty cool effects. When you reach a monster power more suitable for a permanent WOTB then I warmly suggest introducing both Whirlwind and a main nuke (HotA) for a more fulfilling experience.

I used to play with other barbs who used Ground Stomp. I liked them having it, but never preferred to use it myself. It has a lot of cool uses, I just dont prefer to use it, and my higher MP key farming/uber spec uses WW and HoTA and I LOVE that build. It makes me happy i picked barb as my main.
    MP1 might be a little too much of a pushover so kicking it up to MP3 would probably increase the overall result, but WOTB or Earthquake etc won't bring as much to the table as another utility ability like Ground stomp or Leap.
    Same problem here, never managed to pull it off with pretty decent gear.

Quote from Dragooner

I choose MP1 because I can just roll through once and my one WW hit and tornados kill off everything. I do this to get as much XP/hour as possible. With the new XP bonuses to paragon levels, is going up to MP4-5 in my gear going to be better(in terms of XP gain)?

The best XP/time right now is actually MP10 Arreat Crater 2 killing the scorpions and then resetting but it is getting nerfed in 1.08. MP10 Keep Depths 2 is slightly worse XP but slightly better loot and isn't getting changed at all. I usually do both right now but will probably only do KD2 in 1.08. The build I use is pretty much standard WW spec with rend instead of any fury generator because on MP10 it's never a problem keeping fury up and you can keep moving if you know your rend/tornados will finish them off.
    Same problem here
    APP Sexy Video HD - Xem qua youtube siêu nhanh và Update liên tục

Quote from Junotekh

Same problem here, never managed to pull it off with pretty decent gear.

Quote from 04011989tk

Same problem here

Hopefully you both are having issues with WOTB so this post isn't in vain. I'll try to not skip any of the fundamentals required to make this work.

When using the Thrive on Chaos rune on WOTB you will gain one seconds back each time you both gain and spend 25 fury. To achieve such an amount of fury you need to use Battle rage with the Into the Fray rune which gives crits a relatively high chance to grant 15 fury.

The QUANTITY of attacks you can produce is key, interestingly enough the more damage and gear you acquire the harder it will become to do this because monsters take less time to kill which naturally means less attacks produced. Because of this you will find alot of barbarians even with assgear farming higher MPs - because it's significantly easier.

The build I am using is not so much a suggestion than a list of mandatory features required to make this work well. Everything apart from Bash is in one way or another connected to empower each other. For example, dropping your main nuke (hota) will make you much weaker against elites and make fury spending harder or dropping whirlwind will slow you down alot and you won't be able to experience sprint tornados to the fullest.

You need to practice enough to be able to estimate when its likely that you're going to gain a large amount of fury and for how long to be able to spend an equal amount without risking completely starving and not being able to use sprint. Spawning four tornados and hitting atleast two monsters with hota will allow you to literally spam hota, battle rage and sprint at the same time without running out of fury completely. After experimenting a little I managed to refresh WOTB from 1 second to 15 seconds in one set of tornados.
    Strafir's advice is spot on, as usual. I had major problems with this too until I started playing on higher MP and I incorporated Rend. Something like Rend or HotA helps a lot as it's an additional way to dump fury beyond spamming BR and Sprint.

Also, be careful spamming Sprint as it takes a moment after you hit it before tornadoes start to appear. If you need to spam Sprint, you want to hit it 2-3 times quickly and not space them out at like 1 second apart. Max tornado count will come from hitting the new Sprint immediately after the old one expires.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    What fixed it for me was going from a 2h to dual wielding. Got a lòt more atk speed > more procs > more crits > more fury > WotB stays up ^^

Im a bit confused that nobody mentioned breakpoints in this thread. The most dmg for a ww barb comes from the Sprint Tornados not the ww skill. In other words "Tornado" Barb would fit the build better. The ww ability and tornados scales different with attack speed than other abilites like bash and so on. So if you have 8% ias on you gloves it doesnt mean your tornado ticks 8% faster.

To keep it short because i dont want explain every single thing that you can read up yourself, the goal that every ww barb wants to achieve is to have 30 ticks from the tornados per 3 seconds WITH Berserker. So the tooltip of sprint showing 60% weapon dmg is actually wrong and with a breakpoint of 30 you would do 600% weapon dmg. You can find the list here:

http://us.battle.net...37344497?page=1

So the the most important thing is not to stack crit and cd like alot barbs do but to achieve certain breakpoints in order to have a better gameplay and to keep up WotB easier. Crit is still important but achieving the next breakpoint is much more important.

There is a really nice breakpoint calculator from the german streamer Baudusau that you can find here:

https://docs.google....o0Ti1HRnc#gid=0

Try to achieve at least 26 breakpoints with Berserk to have a nice gameplay and to keep up the buff easy.
    Breakpoints are very uninteresting for a class that has to sacrifice superior stats to gain attack speed. Like I said in the previous post, playing a barb without a main nuke (hota) will result in you becoming significantly weaker and is just all around bad idea.

Having an ability that uses 406% weapon damage increases the values of average damage, strength, crit, crit damage and elemental damage enough to make attack speed look like the fat kid in gym class in comparison.
    Ok, I still need to improve but i fixed my problem. Kinda silly but it was the first comment that solved it. I never took into account the fact that if i was at max fury, i technically wasnt gaining any fury, so no bonus seconds. After about 30 minutes of getting used to spamming battle shout to stay under cap i was able to keep up WOTB for an entire run. I appreciate all the feed back, suggestions, and tips. We can consider this topic closed!
    Quote from Strafir

Breakpoints are very uninteresting for a class that has to sacrifice superior stats to gain attack speed. Like I said in the previous post, playing a barb without a main nuke (hota) will result in you becoming significantly weaker and is just all around bad idea.

Having an ability that uses 406% weapon damage increases the values of average damage, strength, crit, crit damage and elemental damage enough to make attack speed look like the fat kid in gym class in comparison.

Two different builds for different purposes. Yes Hota is better for Single dps and vs elites. The ww barb is by far better for trash farming /aoe and leveling up paragon. If you think it is a waste to get enough attackspeed to get 30 breakpoints then you have never seen what a high end ww barb is capable of.
    Quote from Koboldius

Quote from Strafir

Two different builds for different purposes. Yes Hota is better for Single dps and vs elites. The ww barb is by far better for trash farming /aoe and leveling up paragon. If you think it is a waste to get enough attackspeed to get 30 breakpoints then you have never seen what a high end ww barb is capable of.

There is no point farming trash repeatedly and slightly advancing in paragon levels when the more important part of your character progression gets completely neglected.

A barb without a main nuke is good at running. Its an exceptionally good choice if you want to pay the least amount of attention possible while killing a majority of monsters that you encounter. But sadly the one that crosses the finish line first isn't the one gaining the largest benefit. The ark of the thunderstrike rune on HotA is around three times the size of smash which makes it ideal for downing trash in either large packs or a few here and there fast. I guarantee you that a stationary semi randomly spawning vortex will not benefit you as much as a hard hitting on command fury dump will. I can sign into any WW barb stream out there and come to the conclusion that 'wow, this guy has spent ten times the amount of money on gear and i'm blowing him out of the park'. Being thorough instead of constantly leaving 30% behind pays off.

Barbs are the only class that are capable of doing everything with the same gear. All smart specs are built around the same guidelines which makes your suggestion to gear towards one single mediocre ability that much more outrageous.
    Quote from Strafir

Barbs are the only class that are capable of doing everything with the same gear. All smart specs are built around the same guidelines which makes your suggestion to gear towards one single mediocre ability that much more outrageous.

Sorry but the last part is totally nonsense. And i dont want to comment further because you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. I could also say: Monk are capable of doing everything with the same gear. The question is "How Effective" will it be.

Back to topic. The Op had problems with keeping Berserk up. The key are the Breakpoints. Thats a fact. The higher Breakpoints the easier it is to keep Berserk up. The higher Breakpoints, the more dmg, more possible crits due more ww ticks and so on. It seems you are loving your Hota build. Which is completely fine for me because i also use it for Ubers.

But saying that a Hota Build is the best build in every area is completely BS. Just another example. Once 1.08 hits and Realm of Shadows keeps the same as on the PTR. You wont even come close to the legendary/kill count when farming this zone with your awesome Hota barb compared to a good ww Barb. Thats is also a fact. Plus it doesnt matter if you kill an elite pack a few seconds faster with Hota. If you have 290k unbuffed (diabloprogress) and keep spinning the elite mobs on MP10 will also die fast.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes