100k dps even possible on a tight budget?

Hi all ^^

Since I have a million thoughts in my head right now - which i will vent later in this thread - let me start with my core question.

Is it even possible to achieve 100k dps unbuffed on a tight budget? If so how would you do it?

As comparison:
    I am sitting at 76k dps atm with this set / build
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/profile/Fare-2429/hero/688576
    It is purely budget oriented set but it gets the job done on low mps (nothing else though) - spend way less then 10 mio on it
    I will explain / justify my gear choices at the end of the thread :)
    Let's just say I know what stats i should go for and what to aim for for every slot (stat and item/legendary wise) - they are just darn expansive :D
    As for tight budget lets say around 10 mio (sitting at 1 mio atm, but i guess 10 can be done in two to four weeks)

I read a lot of threads in this forum and tested things in game to come up with my personal "progression path" so to speak.

Tried running higher mps, possible but time consuming.
    tried running with 300 mf gear, possible, but takes way longer and while it yielded more drops / hour they still all sucked ass
    So finally i decided it is probably best to lvl paragon and only pick up legendarys.

Latter is kind of the reason I am asking my question.
    I can run mp0 smoothly (even mp1 can be done) but there are two thins bugging me.
    1. Elites: I can kill every trash mob just with my tornados so that is fine, but elites slow me down since i have to cycle. Thats why i switched charge/merciless with rend. First tried the 9xx% dmg rune, works great with killing most elites with one application of rend, but i can never hit all champions with one. So i switched to the higher radius. now i can get most of the elites, but i still have to cycle a little.
    figured if i can crack 100k dps without dieing i can improove my time dramatically

2. Still missing leorics and hellfire which annoys the crap out of me.
    Tried farming for a leorics - since i can't afford one. (a2 normal, 300 mf, mp10) Found dozens of low lvl legendary but of course no leorics yet, so i guess i have to keep trying. Could really use that pick up radius :o

tried farming for a hellfire, but with the skorn i can only farm up to mp3 which is very ineffiecient (only found 4 keys so far). for higher mps i need to alter my build (more survivability) but then i am rage starved and need to switch to dw which drops my dps a lot, so no higher mps :) (not crying here, just ventig a little bit before i get back at it)
    figured more dps might mitigate that problem a little bit (less incoming dmg more LL)

Thinking about a hota build for higher mps, any advice/experience you can share? Can i go higher mps with hota (lets say mp5)?

I tried different routes and i find myselfe most comfortable with arreat, keeps 2, rakis.
    Quick run, decent xp, most action / smashing and you can easily add other areas to mix it up. Sitting at 40-50 mio / hour this way.

Gear explanation:
    I run with a skorn. I know of the discussion and pros and cons vs. dw so I don't want to go in that here :)
    For me Skorn is a good budget choice to farm mp0 very fast. tornados and rend ticks are waaaaay better than with dw which works good on mp0. plus i can still maintain 100% sprint uptime with my build
    chest: Well cheap run speed, decent str, good + dmg (at least cheaper than lacunis)
    Ik pieces: well, when i started again i had this idea that the 5 piece would be awesome for survivability...
    But it doesn't bothe rme much atm since the pices i have came cheap. (less than 100k for the belt, around 300k each for gloves and boots) Only the helm was expensive with 1.2 mio.
    don't know which bracers show atm: i switched in lacunis (sucky stats) for the pick up radius to test something, usually i run with bracers 170 str, 4.5 crit and some vit/life (found both, lacunis and the others, so no cost here)

so yeah, thats it for now. appreciate your input a lot!
    100k dps is possible with low budget, but you'd end up with too low defenses. 100k is just a number. It's a round number, but it doesn't mean anything, it's not any breakpoint, it just sounds good so try to let go of it and simply upgrade what you need or can for now. You'll get there eventually (maybe sooner than you think).

You can improve your dps by adding sockets to chest/pants, try to check pants with 90 str/2 sockets if its affordable (try winning bids), or adding str and other dps stats to almost any piece of your gear where you can afford it. It takes a lot of AH hunting and sniping if you have a low budget, but i can't really pinpoint which peice you will find cheap, cause all of them could be upgraded.

With your gear, i would skip Leorics completely, it will slow you down and even if you find one on your own, selling it would give you enough funds to upgrade to being faster than the xp% from it.

HotA does work on any MP, but its a bit more gear dependant.

It would take long to answer everything sorry.

edit: If you wanna try to get a hellfire, you can contact me once u get some keys, i do free boosts on mp7-8
    hey,

thank you! much appreciated.

I agree with you that 100k ist just an arbetrary number, figured it would be roughly what i need to kill elites with one rend, thats were i pulled that number :)

boosting sounds great, thank you! thats what i wanted to find anyway once i get 3 machinas build.

So basically for hota. it is nice, but it won't let me farm mp5 for keys because my gear doesn't support it yet so i should stick to ww barb for the moment. Thats about right?
    Quote from Fare84

hey,

thank you! much appreciated.

I agree with you that 100k ist just an arbetrary number, figured it would be roughly what i need to kill elites with one rend, thats were i pulled that number :)

boosting sounds great, thank you! thats what i wanted to find anyway once i get 3 machinas build.

So basically for hota. it is nice, but it won't let me farm mp5 for keys because my gear doesn't support it yet so i should stick to ww barb for the moment. Thats about right?

Yeah the one shotting is the important part, jsut what i also meant was that 100k or any number can be achieved in many ways, for example stackign high AS which (while still importnat stat for other reasons) won't help with 1 shotting, unlike CHD or STR. :)

You could bring some friends or random ppl with machines along. I mean 3 machines for 1 run sounds a bit like a waste. I usually do runs with 3-4 ppl in grp where each uses 1 machine, max 2.

HotA is nice yes, but to be perfectly honest, i have no idea how 2h performs since i never tried it - you would need to test it or get a different opinion, cause I play DW HotA. When i transitioned from WW to HotA i used a build for a while which was basically the classical WW build, but it had also HotA-smash which i used for single mobs/elites/bosses - especailly ubers. Again, no idea how this works with a 2H.
    Most importantly - stick with the build that's fun for You.
    Well tbh for key farming killing things in 1 rend isn't all that important. If you aren't planning on farming lots of hellfire rings it doesn't matter much if it takes some time, compared to the paragon time it will be minimal anyway.

with:
    bash, hota, rend, warcry, battle rage, furious charge and passives life steal, weapon master, ruthless
    my barb : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zimira-2869/hero/1009369 (swap out skull grasp ring for a 50 all resist+60-ish str ring and thats the gear i used) started killing keywardens at MP4 with no problem and worked my way up to MP7 or 8 in end. I won't say the higher MP levels went fast but it felt better when a bad streak was only getting a key once in 3-4 runs compared to only getting one in 10-15 runs when unlucky at MP3-4

Comparing our barbs mine has some more survivability 13k more hp and 200-250 more resist all and slightly more dps.
    I have never run the ww spec, so i have been in need of some defenses to survive. If you intend to continue using ww spec as main spec for paragon farming it might not be worth it to invest in more defences just to be able to farm the hellfire ring more smoothly
    @turtle: ah nice, that sounds very good acctually :) just one key away from my first machina ~_~

@zimira: thanks, i guess i will give it a try with hota just for key farming. Don't like ww thaaat much (more the cleave and smash kind of guy) but for paragon i will probably keep the ww for now, just so much more effective.
    I guess i can switch some pieces around and get some more survivability in there.
    Since I played Diablo with my Brother I always played on a Budget the most gold I ever had at one time was 80 million, anything I found that was valuable it turned out that my Brother really needed it so I gave it to him, I profited out of this too ofc when he found something good.

Anyway, what I've noticed from playing low MP (0-2) was that my gold would go up fairly quickly just by looting and vendoring everything (only yellows) Auctioning my gems etc... dont have stats but the alkizer route would net me about 500k roughly before using the AH, I wouldnt want to grind 50 mill like this ofc, but.. you could increase your budget quicker... 2 weeks to get to 10 million seems way off.

GL anyway.
    Drop either chest or lacuni for something with more vita (probably chest, this opens up the option for three sockets as well). Just imagine those 12% are not present:

Any reason to wear a chest with only 177 strength, 72 resist (+some little adds, lets just ignore those)? You'll problably find better rares for 10.000 gold. Or a wrist with only 9% attack speed and 6 pickup radius?

In the end this allows you to reach out for more offense on jewelry (due to more vita). Aim for crit chance AND crit damage, having another 100% crit damage (eg 70% on amulet and 30% via perfect gem) would add 18,183.67 paperdoll dps buffed. Way more strength on shoulders shouldn't hurt either, having another 100 strength there would add 4,145.1 dps buffed.

Ps: don't farm leorics, either buy it or just farm the game regulary. The hours and hours you probably wasted on searching for it are almost always better invested in grinding paragon level. Just imagine you finally find one and then it's only 20% and +int.
    Quote from Fare84

@zimira: thanks, i guess i will give it a try with hota just for key farming. Don't like ww thaaat much (more the cleave and smash kind of guy) but for paragon i will probably keep the ww for now, just so much more effective.
    I guess i can switch some pieces around and get some more survivability in there.

if you don't like ww this much then change it, there are other options if you have more fun with them. also for paragon leveling the other options aren't this bad compared to ww.

for keyfarming I would suggest a cleave + rend build with 2hand. like this.

for paragon leveling on low monster power I would suggest dw for following alternative builds, because a 2hander is too slow.

Paragon I:
    you can play with cleave (rupture) and sprint (marathon) battle rage (marauder) overpower (crushing advance) war cry (impunity) wotb (insanity) and as passive: ruthless, weapon master, brawler

Paragon II:
    2nd alternative would be hota (thunderstrike), sprint(marathon), battle rage(into the fray) bash (instigation), war cry (impunity), wotb(thrive on chaos) and as passive: ruthless, weapon master, animosity
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes