Skorn vs Duel Wield

I would like to ask/state something. Correct me if I'm wrong but a Skorn is a step backwards from duel wielding unless you have the attack speed to make it worth while. Is that accurate? I used a skorn for a while and got about 20-30k dps upgrade but the attack speed was so slow that I was killed more often MAINLY because the slow attack speed wouldn't allow for efficient skill execution. I would find myself rending far after the time I need it by then I would be about dead and would try to run away but swinging the damn weapon took so long I was dead by the time I started moving. Along with that I was mobbed way too easily and would find myself killed by immobility rather than straight stat deficits. Anyway it just seems like an attack speed reliant build unless you have decent gear to allow a buffer zone for such slow swinging. Which right now I don't believe I do. I am comfy with WW on MP5 for Keys and MP2 for gear/xp farming. Any suggestions or corrections from some more experienced players? Thank you.

http://us.battle.net...76/hero/3629826

Also, my character sheet needs to refresh before anyone gives gear advice. I have about 5 new pieces compared to what you may be looking at at the time of my post and possibly a few hours later. I'm now wearing IK Chest/Gloves, Ice Climbers and got rid of Strongarm/Depth Diggers.
    I tried using skorn myself and found very big issues with fury generations. Although I had around 20K more DMG, runs were in fact slower, due to not being able to generate fury fast enough to use sprint all the time. I guess that you can make up this with AS items, but I also consulted my friend who at that time was around 90 Paragon, and just bought a new skorn. He also said it was not worth it.
    I would stick to dual wield.
    Like IcepickD i tryed Skorn aswell. For me it feels that it goes faster with 2x 1h even though my dps is lower. So I would gove with the 2 x 1h.
    I've found Skorn with mid level gear to be better for MP0 Paragon leveling, but significantly worse than dual wielding for Key farming/Ubers.
    I think we can learn something from this. Calculate your DPS yourself instead of relying on your character sheet.
    Dual wield is a lot better , better fury regen ,better attack speed , more stats overall on 1handers, you do more effective dps finally. Skorn is just paper dps , big numbers cause of high weapon damage ,but too slow to match godly 1handers. The best skorn in the world can barely match two 1handers for let's say, 200m gold each ,and that's not even anything close to godly 1handers.
    I'm agreeing with the consensus here although I'm sure a Skorn defender will come soaring in soon to let us know why we're wrong. I am, however, with arms open for someone like that as the Skorn HOTA build is pretty bad ass minus it's inferiority to duel wielding and it does kind of bum me out that it's just not up to par. I understand it is definitely a viable option, however I tend to be elitist and as of right now WW is the hot topic from what I can see. Any case, thanks for the opinions so far.
    skorn is cheaper (a lot cheaper) then making a dual wield barb, and it's essentially just as effective
    Working with adobe and/or java is like pushing a paper clip against a building and expecting it to move...

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

skorn is cheaper (a lot cheaper) then making a dual wield barb, and it's essentially just as effective

Pretty much this. I got my attack speed skorn (1430 dps, 165cd) for 28 million. If I wanted to get any where close with two one handers I would need to spend about 500 million.

I will be making the switch to two 1h's when that gold becomes available however.
    IMO it depends on your build, your gear setup and your pockets:

If you are using tornado WW build - a very significant portion of your total DPS comes from the tornado ticks - which uses only MH damage, using Skorn produces far heavier ticks with the tornado than any 1 hander setup could

If you are using skorn for a tornado build - you do need IAS on your gear - base 1.0 APS will not generate enough fury from the tornado ticks - you need to increase it to approximately 1.4 APS to be able to sustain WotB on a single target with a skorn.

For farming low MPs with a skorn you could easily drop life steal passive or even one of the DPS passives and take animosity for extra rage generation which would alleviate the rage starvation to a certain degree, however one of the biggest issues with skorn in low MPs is that mobs die from tornadoes you leave behind too fast - tornado does not tick enough times to generate any rage at all oftenly if mobs die from 2 damage ticks of it

If you are going with another build HOTA or throw - you are by far better off with 1 handers - skorn is far too slow for either of these to keep your WotB up.
    Rend - if you are using this to just heal yourself while main bulk of DPS comes from somewhere else - then 1 handers are better as the APS will increase the response time and you basically save yourself from death by having faster response as OP mentions, if you are using rend as one of the main damage dealers - then you are better off with a skorn (builds that use rend to one shot all white mobs - single cast and move on to the next pack)

In terms of the prices - if you are looking to farm low MPs - then you do not need high DPS 1 handers and you can get 200-400k gold cost 1 handers with 1k DPS or so with CC / OS. If your aim is to go for rankings on diabloprogress (some of us laugh at the idea, some people actually take it seriously and invest loads of USD to get there) then you are better off sticking with a skorn because the paper sheet DPS of it will produce the same result as a pair of 1 handers would for about 1/4th the cost: If you are looking at a good high end skorn with 14XX DPS 500 STR and 180+ CD the equivalent you'll need in 1 handers is about 150 STR each + OS + CD>80% + 1180 plus plus plus DPS and we all know the prices for those :(

End of the day this comparison is equivalent to comparison of a blonde vs brunette, which is sexier???
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Appreciate the effort Demokin it definitely sorted some shit out for me, thank you. I'm feeling an AS duel wield HotA build in the making. Thanks all as well.
    i prefer dual wielding with high ls or loh

i prefer dual wielding with high ls or loh

LS / LoH is unaffected by DW or skorn, both grant you up to 2k LOH and 6% LS
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Some of the first posts in this thread makes me sick.

I solo mp7, without dying (only if server rubberband or lags till i die) and even when i play with some friends of mine, 2 barbarians, which play DW hota, they die 4-5 times in a full act 1-3 run. i die 1 or 0, and as said earlier, it's only if i lag or something similar.

To make it clear, i don't even have any iAS, i got 0. and only 6% LS, 3 from passive, 3 from belt, and 1300ish loh from my skorn (which i will replace to LS). Even tho i smash slow, i still kill's most mobs faster, cause of my 500-650k crits.

it's pure bullshit saying that skorn doesn't work effectively, i smell DW hota players, which haven't tried skorn out. And btw, skorn and DW hota builds are 2 different things, it's 2 different playstyles. It's mostly all about balancing your character, no matter what build or playstyle you go for. Get good survivability, some life regen, 40k+ hp (45 recommended or higher) 55+ crit, 650-700ish all res, 6k+ armor and know how to play in different situations.

So please stop spreading false rumors about skorn won't work as effective as DW, that's pure bullshit.

I will even make a video if some of you can't believe this.
    I'm interested in a video, sure.
    Kredes ,I guarantee you ,I outdps you 3x times with my 1handers. And they're not even better than average ones.

http://eu.battle.net...58/hero/8265199

Also, I don't die ,even on mp10 ubers. You do. 'cause Skorn is cheap way to make a barb with high dps ,and that's all, it's just paper dps , it 's only effective if you got 50 ap on your other items.

Kredes ,I guarantee you ,I outdps you 3x times with my 1handers. And they're not even better than average ones.

http://eu.battle.net...58/hero/8265199

Also, I don't die ,even on mp10 ubers. You do. 'cause Skorn is cheap way to make a barb with high dps ,and that's all, it's just paper dps , it 's only effective if you got 50 ap on your other items.

Orhhh pls, spare me your BS..

Video for the ppl who wanna see. and no, im not playing 24/7 like some other dudes in this thread ^
    will be up in about 15 mins, i'll post link.

everything is gear depended in this game, and you clearly got a pretty well geared barb there. i don't have as much time as you do, and im not p100.

Btw, what is AP? - i find it funny u can say u outdps me 3 times, and u don't know my current dps number, that's funny.
    Ap is attack speed , skorn gives you huge paper dps ,if the rest of your gear is good ,and it gives you good damage cause of high weapon damage on it , and most of barb's skills depend on weapon damage , still , 1handers are more effective , why do you think ALL best geared barbs in the world play with 1 handers.

Skorn is good to begin with ,I started with skorn too ,and it was big numbers ,indeed ,but not as nearly as effective and fast as good 1handers. That's why good skorn is 50m and good 1 handers are 300m.

IMO it depends on your build, your gear setup and your pockets:

If you are using tornado WW build - a very significant portion of your total DPS comes from the tornado ticks - which uses only MH damage, using Skorn produces far heavier ticks with the tornado than any 1 hander setup could

If you are using skorn for a tornado build - you do need IAS on your gear - base 1.0 APS will not generate enough fury from the tornado ticks - you need to increase it to approximately 1.4 APS to be able to sustain WotB on a single target with a skorn.

For farming low MPs with a skorn you could easily drop life steal passive or even one of the DPS passives and take animosity for extra rage generation which would alleviate the rage starvation to a certain degree, however one of the biggest issues with skorn in low MPs is that mobs die from tornadoes you leave behind too fast - tornado does not tick enough times to generate any rage at all oftenly if mobs die from 2 damage ticks of it

If you are going with another build HOTA or throw - you are by far better off with 1 handers - skorn is far too slow for either of these to keep your WotB up.
    Rend - if you are using this to just heal yourself while main bulk of DPS comes from somewhere else - then 1 handers are better as the APS will increase the response time and you basically save yourself from death by having faster response as OP mentions, if you are using rend as one of the main damage dealers - then you are better off with a skorn (builds that use rend to one shot all white mobs - single cast and move on to the next pack)

In terms of the prices - if you are looking to farm low MPs - then you do not need high DPS 1 handers and you can get 200-400k gold cost 1 handers with 1k DPS or so with CC / OS. If your aim is to go for rankings on diabloprogress (some of us laugh at the idea, some people actually take it seriously and invest loads of USD to get there) then you are better off sticking with a skorn because the paper sheet DPS of it will produce the same result as a pair of 1 handers would for about 1/4th the cost: If you are looking at a good high end skorn with 14XX DPS 500 STR and 180+ CD the equivalent you'll need in 1 handers is about 150 STR each + OS + CD>80% + 1180 plus plus plus DPS and we all know the prices for those :(

End of the day this comparison is equivalent to comparison of a blonde vs brunette, which is sexier???

I would go for Unforgiving passive, with this I can keep sprint up at all times while farming. Stacking some IAS to get it closer to 1.30-1.40 is also going to gelp a lot.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Svenny-2142/hero/11952139
    You're telling me that you got a skorn for 28m? You can make DW barbs work up to mp7 with 60k~100k dps for under 20m.
    DW clearly beats Skorn since the bit of character sheet dps is nothing against the haste scaling you get when using a DW spec.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes