Weapon Throw Build, tips to give it a try

Hey!

I play mostly 2H Rend but would like to have a different experience with another build. Not a fan of WW builds but WT caught my attention and I am willing to give it a try.

My profile: Bulk#2568

Few questions I need answer for:

- 2H Skorn is good for this build?
    - Best pieces to obatin minus Fury cost to WT and the minimum amount required for the build to work smoothly.
    - Is the Three Hundredth Spear a requirement?

Any feedback is appreciated.
    While Skorn give massive dps, it is too slow for barb in general. You will die.

Best minus fury is from the IK belt. It gives you leech too. 300 spear is not a requirement. Echoing fury is the best weapon for it. The fear mod is actually an adventure for throw barb.

If you are not going to use a fury generated skill (WT/HOTA build), you will need really high crit to pull it off. 60% or 50% with killing spree.
    A -4 fury cost from the belt is enough.
    I do more dps with my normal weapons than with a 300 spear equipped.
    Apart from the high crit you also need high IAS.
    If you take No Escape then you can skip Battle rage: Into the fray. You can use Marauder's Rage instead. No Escape is enough to keep your fury regenerating, especially if you also use Ricochet for Weapon Throw.
    Don't worry about the fear from Echoing Fury, the mobs are slowed by 60% so you won't really notice it.
    Thanks for your input.

I have 50.5% crit chance without taking Killing Spree into consideration so I might be okay in that regard. Gotta get a new belt then, my Lamentation is not that good, probably my worst piece overall. Will search the AH for an IK belt with LL and -Fury for WT then I will test it and if it feels slow, I will get my hands on an Echoing Fury.
    Thanks for your input.
    I've tried it some days ago and my only dubt is how I could manage a 1vs1 encounter; during aoe I havent rage problems but during single target sometimes it's really hard. thought is a lucky coeffincent coz I have 58.5% crit chance with scoundrel+battle rage nad always do no crit with ancient spear :P

apart that this build is really more funny that Ww especially coz u never drop Wota :D

[...]
    I do more dps with my normal weapons than with a 300 spear equipped.
    [...]
    If you take No Escape then you can skip Battle rage: Into the fray. You can use Marauder's Rage instead. No Escape is enough to keep your fury regenerating, especially if you also use Ricochet for Weapon Throw.
    Don't worry about the fear from Echoing Fury, the mobs are slowed by 60% so you won't really notice it.

This is just plain wrong (to be fair, if you have an offhand with +1.2k dps and around 80%cd + socket you may do more/equivleant dmg).
    300 spear is the best offhand weapon to go with as throwbarb. (Running throwbarb since 1.04)
    The massive boost in SkillDPS outweights most other possible offhand for a throwbarb. Also people neglect the +12% movment speed. With this there is no need to wear lacunis as throwbarb.
    And in addition: Riochet makes it harder to keep your WotA up since when you only have 1-2 targets you will generate less fury than with any other throwrune.
    If you keep Into the Fray you can go with SeismicSlam and still gain fury and keep WotA with almost only spamming seismic (my way to do key runs on mp10, mob everything together and keep spamming seismic)

-4 to -5 on fury cost is mostly enough. For people who have problems keeping WotA up you can go for a single target throw (+dmg rune or stun) and use seismic slam(rumble) to kill big mobs.
    IK or Lamentation doesn't really matter.
    I'm running with 400 max AllRes and don't really care for AR, thats why I keep my Lamentation to get the slight DPS boost from the +1% crit(not running any IK set bonus).
    With ~6% LL and some slight LoH you should outheal most reflect mobs btw(im running at 800LoH, unity+blackthornes pants).

In general I think throwbarbs are the most versatile build and the build which requires the least amount of AR to keep you going in every mp.
    For uberbosses he is also one of the higher DPS classes/builds since he doesn't need to dodge all the time.

To add some more to the question which mainhand to go: Echoing for sure is some really nice dps, but is hard to get with some nice %LL thats why I am using Butchers Sichle. The pretty high stun chance from it makes it kinda easy for me to solo ubers.

If you want to take a glimpse at my mediocre gear which makes me still farm faster than 200k 2h barb friends; eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bluQ-2210/hero/30065
    ThrowUpBarbie and Puke'a'Doc
    Hmm... Yea you're right but did you check the OP profile?
    He can't do MP10 with that gear and you're not running with the standard throw build I guess.
    We were talking about MP0-3.

What do you mean Riochet makes it harder to keep your WotA up since when you only have 1-2 targets you will generate less fury than with any other throwrune?
    Proc coefficient?

Hmm... Yea you're right but did you check the OP profile?
    He can't do MP10 with that gear and you're not running with the standard throw build I guess.
    We were talking about MP0-3.

What do you mean Riochet makes it harder to keep your WotA up since when you only have 1-2 targets you will generate less fury than with any other throwrune?
    Proc coefficient?

I was running standard style (L:throw,R:AncientSpear) for long enough to figure out that riocheting through huge amounts of mobs (=most efficent farming) takes longer than using something like Seismic on R.
    With that in mind I started to mix runes and found out that you can easly maintain your WotA if you DON'T use riochet because its proc coef is 0,33 per enemy hit.(14+15 potential fury per crithit with normal throw, [14+15]/0,33 per crithit with riochet)
    So yea, the proc of riochet makes it a double edged sword.

And I don't really get why the OP should not follow my advices.
    300spear is in general way cheaper than any other equivalent offhand and often times has higher SkillDPS.
    Butchers Sichel is a nice too have and definatly cheaper than echofury.
    I just gave brought advices with precise examples.

edit: and to adress the MP0-3 <-> MP10 thing, I can only farm efficent with seismic spam in higher MPs because then mobs won't be killed by one swing. If you have lower DPS this gets true for you at lower MPs than 10. In terms of efficency: often times you can compensate for the speed(DPS) by using big AoEs to kill mobs in fewer swings.
    Im farming MP1-3 for legs and only do MP10 runs for fun or keys.

edit2: de.twitch.tv/bluquh/b/342949783 short video showing throw(mighty)+slam(rumble), throw(rioc)+AncientSpear(skirmish) and throw(rioc)+slam(rumble), you can see when I use rioc with spear that I have troubles sustaining my WotA on a single yellow mob. In the part with rioc+rumble I had enough mobs around to kill a yellow mob almost only with slam, so in this scenario even a rioc would be able to keep up his WotA.
    But facing single mobs rioc can be very luckbased to keep WotA even with spear(even more luck/critbasedluck ^^).
    You can see in contrast me attacking single mobs in the first part with throw(+mighty) to keep WotA going, pretty simliar to ww barbs bashing random mobs.
    I leveled my second barb (for the achievement) with throwing weapon, not the standard build but still it was amazing in ACT2, especially with the bees, trying to get away and getting owned. Payback from all the deaths on my first barb.
    So once a 950 dps spear with 47% extra damage for WT dropped I tried it again.
    I had 65% crit with scoundrel, 75 with overpower and 1.9 attack speed. I had BR:Into the fray and -4 on IK belt and never had fury problems. Actually it was full all the time, even single target so I thought I should get Berserker rage for extra dps and I saw No Escape there. I picked it up and switched BR into Marauder's Rage and spammed that with Sprint : Marauder to burn fury.
    This was on ACT3 MP3. I did alot of runs to level up paragon and I could keep WotB up 100%.
    I was using a 1150 dps echoing fury with 160% CHD and a 1007 dps sword with 195% CDH and WT was hitting for 420-440k.
    With the spear as offhand it was hitting for 350-370k.
    195% CHD + the extra attack speed of the sword is alot more dps than the 47% extra damage on the spear.
    I never tried this on anything higher than MP3 so I'm gonna try throw(Mighty)+slam(Rumble) on higher MPs and see how it goes.

Edit:
    Are you sure you posted the correct link? http://de.twitch.tv/bluquh/b/342949783
    There's 2 LOL and 1 WOW videos only there.
    Your observations are correct.

Assuming we have Barbarian with 50% critical hit chance and a base damage per attack of A with an offhand (100%CD + socket with 100% CD gem) and B 300spear (only 100% cd from gem and 50% more damage with weapon throw).

The formula would look like this:

A. [ ( (A * 1,3) * 4) / ] + A*1,3 = damage per two attacks (why two attacks? because of the 50% crit chance and to weight the +skilldmg from 300spear)

B. [ ( (B * 1,8) * 3) / 2] + A*1,8 = damage per two attacks

The result we would get from this assumption is that if weapon A has 115,38462% the damage of B than they are even in actual damage per hit weighted with critchance.

If you have more than 50% critchance a weapon that is not 300spear but fulfills creteria of A is better.
    And in general if the weapon gives you same amount of +str and stuff and has about a 6th more basedamage it is also better.

For lowbudget it is often cheaper to buy a 300spear to achieve the stated things.

On the other hand you need to take into consideration that the weaponthrow dualwield mechanic works like hitting with dualwield.
    Each attackspeed and weaponbase damage is applied PER WEAPON.
    So you attackspeed will change from your mainhands attackspeed to your offhands after you attacked the 1st time.
    After the 2nd time you attacked it will switch back again to your mainhands attkspd.
    So for a correct application of the forumla you need to adress the varying atkspeed too.

Hint: if you go for less weaponthrow, more seismicslam you may want to consider another offhand than 300spear if you want to optimze ur dps.

BUT after this chunk of maths I want to remind anyone considering to replace or don't even buy a 300spear, it gives you 12% movementspeed which would else be achieved by having lacunis.

Sure as an optimal gear setup you want to have 6%cc lacuni anyways, but lets be realistic, that is high-end gear.

So as an advice for someone who has some gold to spend but not a whole lot the lowbudget variant would most likly be:
    Lamentation (-4 or -5), Cheap Echoing or Butchers Sichle(has %LL and CD always), decent 300spear with socket.

For an optimal endgear:
    IK or Lamentation, EchoingFury(with %LL) and a 1.4 atks, 1k+ dps, 100% cd + socket as offhand, Lacunis with decent cc+stats.

@edit: there are 0 Lol and 0 WoW videos ^^ and actually 2 SC2 and 1 D3 vid.

edit: adressing the part "the more attackspeed": You can't calculate attackspeed in.
    The damagenumbers displayed are absolute. It has nothing to do with attackspeed.
    But yea, the general efficent damage should be higher with an offhand matching your mainhand attacks as I stated above.

edit2: Okay ... I really should start a guide, this is getting way too much text xD

Hint: if you go for less weaponthrow, more seismicslam you may want to consider another offhand than 300spear if you want to optimze ur dps.

I played a bit more today with the 300 spear as offhand and I saw 500k crits, i guess from the main hand but were not so often, I didn't notice them yesterday.
    So the 300 spear does boost the main hand after all but it hurts overall damage since the crits from it are in the 140-250K range while the main hand hits for 350-500K. Also another problem with spear is that if it doesn't crit it hits for an amazing 11k on a mob that has 1M+ hp.

I also tried WT:Mighty as main attack and SS:Rumble as secondary (without the 300 spear). I was using SS to kill and WT to generate fury.
    I tried it also with a Scorn and I have to say I'm impressed. Even though Scorn is slow mobs died so fast they didn't need a second hit.
    And crits from SS on 3+ mobs were enough to fill up my fury. I used both No Escape and Into the fray and I only needed to use WT on single target.
    So I guess yea you should go write a guide since this build is a lot better than the standard WT build.
    I leveled from 89 to 91 paragon with this on ACT3 MP3 and I have never done runs so fast while killing every single mob in each area.

I played a bit more today with the 300 spear as offhand and I saw 500k crits, i guess from the main hand but were not so often, I didn't notice them yesterday.
    So the 300 spear does boost the main hand after all but it hurts overall damage since the crits from it are in the 140-250K range while the main hand hits for 350-500K. Also another problem with spear is that if it doesn't crit it hits for an amazing 11k on a mob that has 1M+ hp.

I also tried WT:Mighty as main attack and SS:Rumble as secondary (without the 300 spear). I was using SS to kill and WT to generate fury.
    I tried it also with a Scorn and I have to say I'm impressed. Even though Scorn is slow mobs died so fast they didn't need a second hit.
    And crits from SS on 3+ mobs were enough to fill up my fury. I used both No Escape and Into the fray and I only needed to use WT on single target.
    So I guess yea you should go write a guide since this build is a lot better than the standard WT build.
    I leveled from 89 to 91 paragon with this on ACT3 MP3 and I have never done runs so fast while killing every single mob in each area.

I' working on it, filled allready 3 sides in word :P
    I'm really happy to hear that you now have some more fun.
    I never tried it latly with a good skorn, will give it a try too.

To 300hundred, as I said it is a numbers-game

Expect the guide go online tomorrow but don't know yet if I manage do support it with as much videos as I want to :D
    Didnt like it
    A couple really helpful items for the spec, Stone of Jordan, Mighty Belt with Life Steal / Reduced Weapon Throw Cost.
    It's worth noting, both items can reach a reduced by 5 cost on Weapon Throw, but you can actually only reduce the cost to 1, even with both items having reduced by 5.
    On the note of a Skorn, though... I've never actually tried it due to being too cheap to buy a Life Steal version. So I've no comment, there.
    (Also: When Searching for a SoJ, change the Search to All Armor Types, Search Bonus vs Elites and Reduced Wep Throw, since you can't search for cost reduc. on Rings alone)

Another recommendation I have, is grab a decent Life Steal, Str, Crit Dmg Mainhand paired with a Three-Hundredth Spear, they can roll up to 50% Weapon Throw / Ancient Spear damage, so it is useful for sure. I'm currently running a 880 DPS Axe in my Mainhand, and 890 DPS Three Hundredth Spear with 46% Dmg on Spear/Throw in my Offhand/

In DPS tests on MP9-10 Siegebreaker my Throw/Spear DPS is pretty competitive to Whirlwind (maybe 50K lower, including the fact I'm having to constantly run as Throw Barb), though my survivability makes me have to be careful when doing MP7-8 Ubers due to lack of superstition.
    One unfortunate thing I've noticed is while doing Ubers, you will occasionally just be SoL for WotB/Thrive on Chaos due to bad luck. Just try to keep your Fury low when using a 1 Cost Weapon Throw, considering a successful No Escape proc will be generating a lot of Fury.

It's also worth noting that despite me using Weapon Throw / Ancient Spear for Ubers, there are a couple other options for the build. HotA / SS / Rend being some Spenders you can use, while keeping Fury easily.

Lastly, I'd carry a couple extra pieces of gear to get some more survivability (Switching out your SoJ for a Litany, or something to the like) due to Throw Barb having the risk of getting into a sketchy situation. But, overall I'm in love with the spec. It's something different, for sure.
    People who discussed WT build with Seismic Slam: Rumble with a 2H weapon (Skorn) equipped can share more information about it?

I'm running with:

- WT: Mighty Throw
    - SS: Rumble
    - WOTB: Thrive on Chaos
    - Battle Rage: Into the Fray
    - Overpower: Killing Spree
    - Sprint: Marathon

Passives: No Escape, Weapons Master, Ruthless

I have 50,5% crit chance (+10% with Overpower) and -5 WT belt but still having problems with Fury generation, especially when the bar is depleted after a long stretch of running with no mobs. Adding another piece (SoJ for instance) with -WT cost would be helpful? Rumble spam is great but not optimal if I can't keep up with Fury. Any skill swap would be more benefical?
    I actually use a Weapon throw mixed build for organ farming. Its really overpowered because it allows you the best of both worlds. Melee and ranged in one character. No more bubbles or corners to trap you.

basically its your normal WW build except u tack on weapon throw instead of bash.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes