200 million to spend

Hey everybody,

since all the budgets guides are posted on this site, I thought, why not ask how to "correctly" spend 200 million on a complete barbarian gear.

I'm totaly new to this class, so please be gentle.

Thanks!
    I have no clue, but goddamn it must be nice! gl!
    I would say to hold on that money for a while, prices in the AH are current dropping a lot, you may be able to get much better stuff with that money in 1 month or so
    A lot of what you spend money on could be decided with 2 questions

WW or Rend?

and

Faster runs or higher MP?

For WW barbs, just look at the budget guide and try to get better items. For 200 mil, you aren't going to get a bunch of BIS gear, but you can get very nice examples of most slots, to get you to around 90k dps possibly more, along with the ability to run mp3-5 with efficiency.
    WW would be my build of choice..

My yes, mp5 would be nice to farm..especially without having to worry about stupid reflect dmg groups..

Taking this into consideration, are there some "must have items"?
    5 piece IK is always good to have and it's pretty cheap now
    Quote from Namz

If you are going for max dps then I would say 3 items are "must have":
    1) helm: Mempo (attack speed)
    2) belt: Witching Hour (attack speed + crit dmg)
    3) bracers: Lacuni (attack speed, also has movement speed for faster runs)

The above have stats that can't roll on rares, and only a few other legendaries can have those mods (Andariels helm for example) but usually with much crappier other mods. In all honesty there are also Innas pants that have +attack speed which you can't get on any other pants (they have +1% crit chance also). But the other mods on Innas pants are pretty much junk for a barb (i.e. you can't get high str/vit/resist all), which is why very few barbs ever use Innas pants and instead go for Blackthornes or rare pants.
    Quote from MadViking

Quote from Namz

If you are going for max dps then I would say 3 items are "must have":
    1) helm: Mempo (attack speed)
    2) belt: Witching Hour (attack speed + crit dmg)
    3) bracers: Lacuni (attack speed, also has movement speed for faster runs)

The above have stats that can't roll on rares, and only a few other legendaries can have those mods (Andariels helm for example) but usually with much crappier other mods. In all honesty there are also Innas pants that have +attack speed which you can't get on any other pants (they have +1% crit chance also). But the other mods on Innas pants are pretty much junk for a barb (i.e. you can't get high str/vit/resist all), which is why very few barbs ever use Innas pants and instead go for Blackthornes or rare pants.

IK helm is better than mempo that has no crit, and a mempo with crit is out of OPs budget

witching Hour is good but with 200mil budget for whole gear you wont get much if any survivability stats on it so if you choose to buy one, realize you'll have to make up for it on other items, specifically Life steal

lacuni is crap without crit and i'd go as far as to say its crap without strength and crit, again out of OPs budget, i'd recommend not buying them with crap stats and go with inna's pants if you desperately want 24% movement speed but as stated before they have no survivability stats (lack of strength is compensated by IAS and crit chance)
    Quote from TicklishCorn

5 piece IK is always good to have and it's pretty cheap now

5 piece IK isnt attainable if you want the gear to have good stats. Whats more is that it isnt really worth it anyways if you get the right gear combo.

This post ended up way longer than I intended when I started, sorry. I started making a late lunch while writing this mini guide and didnt notice the length of it.

With 200 million gold you can probably get all of this (search for good deals on gear around these stats, the prices i use are nothing but guesses on what they will cost, if you find similar or slightly worse for cheap, by all means, you should get it)

IK helm (30mil +)with 150+ str, 5%+ crit, less than 30 AR, 11-12% life, and a socket, or just a rare helm(less than 20 mil) with around 80 str, either vit or life%, crit chance, and 60+ AR

Amulet (15-30 mil +)with str, some vit, 8.5%+ crit, 50% + crit damage, and some other random stat (phys resist, elemental resist, etc)

Bracers with (6-30 mil +) 100 +str, 60+ AR, 4.5%+ cirt, and vit or life%(if strongarm bracers, which are really cheap right now)

Gloves with 100+ str, 60+ AR, 8.5%+ crit, 25%+ crit damage (10-50 mil depending on how good you want them to be... going for a trifecta is a waste). You can also get IK gloves that have 90+ str, 9%+ crit chance, and vit for a good price(7-300 mil lol) too if you want to get the 2 or 3 piece IK bonus (2 piece is 60 AR, 3 is 4% less melee damage taken).

Chest with ~150 str, 100 vit, 60+ AR, 2-3 sockets (3-30 mil, again dependent on stats)

Vile ward shoulders (12-20 mil) with 170+ str, 40+vit (they automatically come with 70+ AR and + armor), can also get rare shoulders with 180+ str, 130+ vit, 60+ AR, and either life % or pickup radius (2-15 mil roundabouts) .

For a belt, id either go with a Lamentation (170+ str, 80+vit, lifesteal, some AR if possible... comes with 1% crit chance)(1-20 mil depending), or an IK belt with similar stats (5-30 mil). This is until you can afford a decent witching hour belt.

Rings are kind of difficult to place... i prefer one ring to have 80+ str, 80+ vit, 40+ AR, 4% crit, and maybe either some LOH, or crit damage. The other has 110+ str, 60+ vit, 4%+ crit, 20%+ crit damage. With the second ring, I took one with a lower str roll, but had a socket. Both of these items can have crit, crit damage, and attack speed as well as having a damage roll as well. Rings are great to cram as much dps stats as you can in them as they fluctuate in price wildly depending on what stats you prefer. You can pick up a rather nice unity ring with crit for under 10 mil usually, and it has a XX-YYY damage roll, 130+ str, and whatever crit you decide is worth buying. Plus damage rolls (like 35-118 damage or +35 max damage) also are a pretty large dps increase usually, but shouldnt be taken over crit chance. At the point you are at, you should spend no more than 10 mil per ring probably.

Boots- for beginner boots, id either recommend a good set of Firewalkers (130+ str, 90+ vit) due to how they have the 12% runspeed, 4% melee damage reduction, and the "ground burning" is a nice added bonus(under 1 mil-30 mil). You can also look for a set of IK boots if you are gunning for the 2 or 3 piece bonus, but you will have to accept less str or vit for the same price as those firewalkers.

Running total should be around 115 mil provided that you got some good deals, and also shopped around for items well. This leaves 80 million for your mainhand and offhand. These are the two most important parts of your build.

For the offhand, you want either a dagger or a sword (dagger pref) with a socket and crit damage, lifesteal, strength, and possibly attack speed or LOH if you need more healing. The dps of this item doesnt really matter as much as the stats do. For a WW barb, the offhand weapon is just a stat stick until they get to a certain gear level where the whirlwind dps becomes a great source of healing (over 70k dps which you should be at with these stats). The higher the damage, the better, but some items that rolled <500 dps can have amzing stat rolls on them (170 str, 2.8% lifesteal, 70+% crit damage, socket, LOH or vit) and are largely cheaper than an offhand with 650 dps (the difference can be huge). Throw at least an 80% crit damage gem in that offhand too. What you spend on it can vary greatly, but at first you should pay no more than 15 mil, and only if it rolls really well.

For a mainhand, your first concern is top end damage. For example, a 934 dps mace has a damage range of 514-1046, this 1046 number is high for a 930s dps mace, and has a pretty good damage roll. While the displayed dps in itself is important, there can be items that have what I refer to as a "fake" dps score: for example, a 1049 dps mace with a damage range of 630-1005. My math for the dps may be off slightly, but there are items that show that they have a dps much higher than another item, but actually do not due to the damage range. Since whirlwind dps is based on crits and crit damage, the top end dps of a weapon becomes more important. For affixes on it, you want crit damage and a socket on it for sure (unless you can find an 1100+ dps weapon with high crit damage, lifesteal, attack speed, but with no socket for cheap), but after those two affixes, it really depends on how much you want to spend on the weapon itself.

This is just a rough guide for what kind of gear that amount can get you, you can probably find better gear than what I have listed for the same prices that I listed just by being patient with your searches, and tweaking certain values on items (vit, str, and AR can all be changed and there wont be a huge difference as long as it is balanced out by other gear). Depending on how you build your spec, you can also adjust numbers accordingly. If you are going to use war cry-impunity or the armor rune, you want more AR/armor, and can have less life overall because of it. I prefer the use of overpower-crushing advance (35% of incoming damage is redirected resulting in a flat 35% damage reduction) due to how once you have above 45% crit (51% buffed with scoundrel in game), you can have near 100% uptime on it for most mob packs., and it tends to hit really hard. I recommend that you go aggressive with your passive abilities and use bloodthirst, ruthlessness, and weapons master, as you will have more than 8% lifeleach (which translates to 1.6% after the inferno nerf) which will heal you for quite a bit. You would need more than 1300 LOH to equal the lifeleach overall healing, and after 70k dps, lifeleach becomes better than LOH because it procs off of all damage, rather than being a slave to coeffecients.

The stats you want to shoot for (roundabouts) are
    More than 70k dps
    38k+ life
    500+ AR (if you can, shoot for some pieces that also have fire/arcane/electric resist)
    45%+crit chance (after the 10% bonus from maces/axes, and 5% from ruthlessness. Im more comfortable with 53+%)
    340% crit damage (this isnt as important till you hit that crit amount)
    5200+ armor
    Some IAS would also be a bonus stat as well, but it isnt as good as crit chance at your gear level.

I should have just made this a mid range barb guide lol.
    TL:DR, if you want, and you are on US servers, you can just hit me up with any questions, and i will answer the best i can. My battletag is beneath my avatar
    IK 5p is overrated and definitely NOT needed.
    Thank you guys for your answers, especially Fallactic,
    I will camp the auction house for a while and see if I can get some good deal.
    Your help is very appreciated!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes