Just respecced to WW - how to get DPS up?

Hi guys, sorry for another 'how do I improve my gear' thread but would really appreciate your advice! I just respecced to WW from a more traditional sword and board/tank and spank build. I've tried to get the best gear I can with my budget but my DPS seems pretty low at just under 60k, and I'm not sure why. STR is pretty high I guess, do I need more crit damage? Crit chance is at 52% already.

eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Grey5cale-2747/hero/2228768

Any advice? I have about 30m gold left for improvements... THanks in advance!
    yeah, your strength and crit are fine, you need crit dmg badly, to get it would be best to buy a new off hand (doesnt have to be high dps but high crit dmg, socket LoH/life steal and strength), amulet, rings and possibly even gloves but jewelry and off hand primarily considering the budget

you can get 20-30 crit dmg more with some better gems in your weapons now that gem prices have gone downhill

obviously what could also increase your dps more is attack speed but with 30 million it would probably be better to focus on crit dmg first

you can also get a nice boost by getting jewelry with + dmg on it which is cheaper than attack speed

edit: you'll probably lose some strength with new jewelry and perhaps off hand but you can buy a belt with more strength because 100 strength you have on your belt aint much considering you can get up to 300 in that slot so buying something with ~200 strength, vit and all res shouldn't be too expensive
    Get a new amulet, those bad boys can roll up to 10% crit chance and 100% crit damage now. Even if you have to lose over 100 strength on the amulet to get at least 7.5% crit chance and as much crit damage as you can, it'll help a lot.

When you're looking at the AH you can link items into chat, then join a game and click on them to see what the effect on your dps will be.
    Thanks guys, good info. Will hit the AH later but not sure how much I'll be able to afford out of my modest 30m budget!
    ur str is too high in some gear. it will affect other stats that u can use like critical chance, ias or avg dmg. Ur amulet is an example. u can scale ur str to 100+ and get critical chance of at least 8.0 and some avg dmg will increase ur dps. ( critical dmg is also possible but the price is smt just too much)

Anyway u can try using d3up.com to help u gauge on the item u can change. determine if the item is worth that amount of gold/cash.
    Quote from hamiku

ur str is too high in some gear.

Advice like this makes my eyes bleed. Seriously stop giving advice, when you got zero clue about the game.

To answar the ops question. High dps coming from having the correct stats in the various gear slots.

Gloves and Amulet: As close to 10% crit as posible with crit dmg and as much strength as your budget can afford.
    Rings: As close to 6% crit as posible with 9%ias and again with as much strength budget allows.
    Helm and Bracers. As close to 6% crit as your budget allows.

The above listed Crit, crit damage and ias. Is mandatory stats in the dps slots. Its vital you get the correct stats on if you wish solid dps. If your budget doesnt support it. Take less of the stats. but HAVE THEM ON IT.

Then you also have a few legedaries/set items that boost dps by alot.

Bracers: Lacuni prowlers (Remeber its bracers and therefor its a crit chance slot)
    Belt: The Witching Hour
    Leggings: Inna's Temperance.

Ofc all res and vit can be added aswell, only your budget limits you.

And no you dont get above the 50k wall with tiny 10 mill budgets. Quality costs and there is no way around it.

Hope it was helpfull - Spend your gold wisely.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from Huminator

Quote from hamiku

ur str is too high in some gear.

Advice like this makes my eyes bleed. Seriously stop giving advice, when you got zero clue about the game.

hmm... i see ur amulet have only 129 str and i was suggesting him getting a lower str amulet with critical chance of 8.0+ some ias or avg. i did not say much abt critical dmg is because it will him cost a bomb and his 30m can never afford.

His amulet have too much str on it while his belt have too little. Belt shld have at least 200+ or even 250+ on them as it goes up to 300 (max).

His str is already 2200 compare to urs 2500... ur dps is 3 times of his... i dun think getting that 300 str is going to make his dps matching ur one. Yes, u shld get as much str as possible but u must get the essence stats correct before getting the max possible str available.

Ur suggestion to him is get 2billion gold and ur dps will increased. u think my post is causing u to bleed.. i find urs unrealistic with the meme of 'You don't say'.

Anyway use d3up.com to help u get increase ur dps. It will show u how each stats increase ur overall dps. So u no longer need to ask on how to increase ur dps.
    He asked how to get dps high. I answared him.

Crit, crit dmg and ias on the correct items is how great dps is obtained. There is no way around it. And i just informed him of what needs to go where and why.

My response to you was in regards of your "ur str is too high in some gear". There is no such thing is to much strength on 1 item.
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
    Quote from Huminator

He asked how to get dps high. I answared him.

Crit, crit dmg and ias on the correct items is how great dps is obtained. There is no way around it. And i just informed him of what needs to go where and why.

My response to you was in regards of your "ur str is too high in some gear". There is no such thing is to much strength on 1 item.

there is "too much strength on gear" when your budget is limited, he has amount of strength that you'd see at very good geared barbs with high budget but considering his budget is not high, it is obvious he cannot maintain that level of strength if he wants to get cc/critdmg/ias to increase his dps

he didnt tell him "too much strength hurts" but rather "budget too low, reduce strength, get other stats"

your post wasnt wrong per se but rather it was about what he needs to buy in the future, and this thread is what he needs to buy now
    First thing is to get 24% movement speed. Even if you only have 1mil you really should be getting the best movement speed boots and lacuni's you can afford. When picking ones with your 30mil budget, though, keep in mind leaving some gold for other items. But definitely start with buying those. Tyrael's might is also an option (though usually only used by higher-budget builds), but keep in mind it requires you to make up for the lost HP by getting some awesome other pieces (ex: boots, as those now don't need movement speed since you get it from tyrael's an lacuni's). Getting the HP back from a bracer is harder than boots as ice climbers can give a lot more HP than any rare boots/bracers, but again they're expensive so tyrael's might is hard to fit in efficiently (as in, by gaining more than you lose by choosing to use it) without quite high budgets.

For rings I'd rather just use a stone of jordan with high rolls (skill don't matter, though rend is nice. Whirlwind crit is a bit better but way too expensive for how little it helps) and the best hellfire ring you got (even if it completely sucks, as it still gives 35% exp). If you do insist on rare rings, make sure they both have crit. It doesn't only give a big damage boost, it also helps the build work much more smoothly (fury generation).

Big amulet and ring (SoJ) upgrades are well within your budget of 30mil, and you can probably even get some pretty big weapon upgrades (both main and off, but off hand especially).

While your DPS might not be enough to survive purly on life steal, I don't know how you manage with only 950 LOH. I'm not too sure, but I think even on MP0 you might die sometimes with just 950 LOH, and farming keys at mp3 is probably quite difficult. Get life steal on belt, and if you don't have the DPS to survive with just life steal on offhand, get an offhand with both life steal and LOH, of course with as much str/crit dmg/socket as you can afford.

Even chest pants and shoulders could really use an upgrade and probably can be upgraded significantly for no more than 1-2mil. Just keep in mind that chest and pants can have vit up to 300 and can get up to 200 for cheap, while str on chest/pants/shoulders/bracers and vit on shoulders/bracers only go up to 200 and above 100 starts to get expensive. All of them can have up to 80 resists. Therefore, make sure they all have decent resists and that you focus more on vit in the chest/pants and less in shoulders/bracers (shoulders can't have crit chance, so at least some vit is a good idea, but if you want cheap ones than stick with <100vit shoulders).
    Quote from GalZohar

First thing is to get 24% movement speed.

How important is this if I am using Sprint?
    massively important... just try it one time for 5 minutes and you'll understand why
    12% is 'massively important' for the additional tornado spawn, 24% is just luxury.
    Actually it was tested that you don't need any movement speed for tornadoes, you can get either 4 or 5 (seems to be rather random) regardless of movement speed. However, since most of how fast you farm comes down to how fast you run between monsters, which is what makes this build so much better than other builds even though its damage isn't really much better if at all better... Movement speed is just too important for farming efficiency. The stats you could get in place of movement speed are basically never worth it, as the increased killing speed will never match the time you save by just running faster. Plus, maintaining WotB is easier the faster you get to the next pack.
    Quote from GalZohar

Actually it was tested that you don't need any movement speed for tornadoes, you can get either 4 or 5 (seems to be rather random) regardless of movement speed. However, since most of how fast you farm comes down to how fast you run between monsters, which is what makes this build so much better than other builds even though its damage isn't really much better if at all better... Movement speed is just too important for farming efficiency. The stats you could get in place of movement speed are basically never worth it, as the increased killing speed will never match the time you save by just running faster. Plus, maintaining WotB is easier the faster you get to the next pack.
    Quote from GalZohar

this is wrong, the increase in killing speed will overpass movement speed at some point, no reason why it wouldnt. Especially since tornados only do 60% wpn dmg, its a pretty low damage build. If you know where to run you can easily chain mobs together in any Act without any movement speed.

Also, barbs with leap and charge have plenty of maneuverability to get around quickly if you know where mobs are.
    Actually, you're wrong.

If you're playing at a mosnter power where most of your time is spent fighting rather than moving, you're not playing at the right monster power. Just count your xp/hour or legendaries/hour and see for yourself.

Also, it's not "only" 60% weapon damage. It's 60% per tornado and you have 4-5 up, so on average 270% weapon damage, and that's before adding whirlwind's damage into the mix. That's actually quite a high damage build. Granted, some other builds might have better AOE and/or easier time hitting monsters, but definitely not enough to make up for the fact they actually have to stand still while dealing damage.
    Are you surpriced, people still havent figured out which mp lvl is effective for themself?
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes