Barbarian 1.0.5 Budget Guide

Hello again! Today we have the first in the budget series, starting it off with the Barbarian! The budget I've set today is 3 million, I go over each peice of gear and which stats you want to aim for. Don't forget to subscribe if you find the guide useful!

Guide Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29kiVSzDgw&feature=plcp
    Love these lowbie guides! But are you planning to do a run with the budget gear on?
    Interesting point about the average damage property on rings.
    How about some HC guides?
    Make the same guide/buying process with a limit of 200k instead of 180k for each item and I assure you get much better items with only spending little more money. People just love to create auctions with round numbers.
    The first thing I'd put in a budget guide is to spend a lot more than 20 minutes to buy your gear. Rather, spend a few days. Learn the prices. Figure out if 1d11h/1d12h items are actually a good deal (they 99% aren't, and since 1.0.4 more like 99.99%). Write down the auction end times on items you think you should be able to afford and put a bid on them during the last 5 seconds of the auction (see kripp's bidding video for technical details of how to do it).

Knowing what kind of stats you need is just a small part of the story. How to get the most out of your money also has a lot to do with how you search the AH and how you determine how much to pay for every item.

If you work like in this video and buy a full set of gear in 20 minutes, be prepared to not be able to sell it even for only 1/2 of what you paid. Basically, anything you buy this quickly should be bought with the assumption you'll eventually vendor it or AH it for pennies. If you want to get the most out of your gold, getting items that are actually worth it and you can actually sell back for a decent amount once you are done with them, you need to take the time, learn the prices and find those good deals, or at least deals that aren't terrible like most/all of the items purchased in this video.

Another quick tip unrelated to budget gears but more about buying gear overall, is to avoid using max buyout. It works much better when you type in the minimum stats and sort by buyout. That way you don't cut out an item that costs just slightly over your limit, and you still see the cheapest items on top. Basically, if you "demand" too high stats, instead of seeing a blank page you'll see a page full of items you can't afford, as well as by how much you can't afford them so you can have an idea of how much you should try lower the stats in your search.

For weapons it's harder to do because you can't search for minimum DPS as it is not a stat, and thus you must sort by DPS, and then either place a max buyout (thus missing out on all items that have low bid but high/no buyout), or browse through many pages full of weapons to find one that suits you in terms of stats and prices. When you reach higher-end weapons, obviously, the number of pages you have to go over is greatly minimized. Of course, once you know the prices very well you can just look for 1d11h/1d12h deals for your weapon rather than bidding on one, but since 1.0.4 those became extremely hard to find (rather than just "very hard").
    I also gearcheck barbs all day on my twitch channel and make budget barbs that can do Monster power 3 for even the smallest budgets

This is a gearing of a barb that can do Monster power 3 with a budget of 200k gold. I think that 3 million is overpaying for a barb that cannot breeze through inferno at it's current stage.

Twitch.tv/jyk524/c/1711827

Watch from 6 minutes on for a complete gearing and testing, The pants and chest were also taken off to overpower any difference in paragon levels that i have

Twitch : Jyk524

I'm on almost all the time and do gearings for the Diablo 3 Community on US and EU
    Quote from jyk524

This is a gearing of a barb that can do Monster power 3 with a budget of 200k gold. I think that 3 million is overpaying for a barb that cannot breeze through inferno at it's current stage.

It's all a function of how much time you are willing to spend on finding properly priced items. For once there is searching for various stat combinations until you find one that gives you the most for your money out of the currently available items (something that was NOT done in the video, as he just bought out something almost random just because it seemed OK). Then you can always wait until an item that is actually properly priced (or has low enough current bid so you can put a proper bid on it), which will save you a lot more.

Now, at low budgets looking for that "best deal" for too long is just a waste of time because you could just farm back that money faster than you can find the good deal. But once you have basic gear and can do some sort of farming (basically act 3 mp0), you're much better off spending more time on the AH to find items for good prices and not over-pay improper buyout prices that almost nobody in the world other than you will be willing to pay.
    Quote from GalZohar
    The first thing I'd put in a budget guide is to spend a lot more than 20 minutes to buy your gear. Rather, spend a few days.

Instead of spending days on the AH you could spend those days playing the game, finding new items, gaining experience and paragon level while collecting gold dead monster leave behind. We're talking about a low budget build here and no gamebreaking decision you might regret forever. You'll get that gold back rather quickly. Of course there might be better items avaible on another day but especially on the low budget region there are so many mediocre yet still decent enough items up it shouldn't be to hard find something worth those shiny coins.

Actually i hate those budget videos/guides showing us only bargains being purchased over a rather long time - if somebody watches a video they're probably already hooked and want to jump right into the fight. This video shows us 'yeah it's possible to farm mp0/1 and keep wotb up for a good amount of time without spending 200M per perfect IK piece' and that's the way it should be.

Ps: don't forget about the region you're playing on. Everbody already knows about the great price differences between EU vs US but for example it's totally viable to look for socketed items without any mainstat on asia, you pay <500k on a perfect star emerald and <150k on a perfect star ruby there ;)
    Even if you want to buy items that aren't worth their price tag, you should still spend more than 20 minutes buying your entire gear set. If you're at the point where you only have 500k to spend on gear, you're also at the point where you aren't a good/experienced enough player to farm it all back in 1-2 hours.

If you're stuck with some completely terrible <10k item in a slot then sure, buy the best item you can find for 10-20k (but please, still spend at least some minutes searching for a reasonable one), but save the rest of your gold for buying better stuff that are actually worth the price you're paying.

The point is after 1.0.5 nerfs to inferno and buffs to drops, regardless of which realm you're playing you should be able to farm mp0 act 3 (which is all you really need to be able to do, anything beyond that is just pennies in terms of increase in xp/hour and loot/hour if it's even an increase). But if so long after the game is out you are still stuck with a low amount of gold, I still advise against spending all of it within 20 minutes spending max 1-2 minutes on every item you buy.
    nice guide thanks
    May the heroes rise from the pit of despair and the bards sing of the day of death renewed to everlasting
    immortality....awaiting your return to the lands of Sanctuary may peace be with you on this day...your day of birth.

The Crew
    Quote from GalZohar

Even if you want to buy items that aren't worth their price tag, you should still spend more than 20 minutes buying your entire gear set. If you're at the point where you only have 500k to spend on gear, you're also at the point where you aren't a good/experienced enough player to farm it all back in 1-2 hours.

If you're stuck with some completely terrible <10k item in a slot then sure, buy the best item you can find for 10-20k (but please, still spend at least some minutes searching for a reasonable one), but save the rest of your gold for buying better stuff that are actually worth the price you're paying.

The point is after 1.0.5 nerfs to inferno and buffs to drops, regardless of which realm you're playing you should be able to farm mp0 act 3 (which is all you really need to be able to do, anything beyond that is just pennies in terms of increase in xp/hour and loot/hour if it's even an increase). But if so long after the game is out you are still stuck with a low amount of gold, I still advise against spending all of it within 20 minutes spending max 1-2 minutes on every item you buy.

To be honest, farming at mp1-2 is really worth it because of the huge MF bonus you get, without making the fights too much harder. If you can derp mp0 go to mp1, etc.

EDIT: Also, it's worth mentioning that getting a shield with very high crit chance (9+) for your offhand can sometimes be better than just getting a weak secondary weapon. Slightly less DPS, but much higher survivability. Since shields can also give good stats and life%, you can get something decent for cheap.
    25-50% MF bonus is not huge at all. Especially not when you consider the 50-125% increase in monster HP.

The problem with high MP is not that it's too difficult to farm. It's that it's too slow. It's quite easy to gear yourself to farm MP10, as after all the damage is lower than 1.0.0 damage yet the gear available today is much much better than what was available back then, but >30 times monster HP for a measly 250% MF is just not worth it unless you can 1-shot everything there anyway.

Key farming is an exception, of course, as the chance for key drops scales much better than MF or XP as you increase MP.

The survivability you get from a shield just isn't worth the DPS (even if just sprint DPS rather than character screen DPS) loss as well as life steal and/or life on hit you are losing from your offhand. 15% attack speed (more if offhand speed > main hand speed), more stats (that 10% crit and str from shield can't compete with) and more LS/LOH simply can't be matched.
    First a big thank you to TryHardEnmity for making this guide.

It's been a wile since the last time I played my Barbarian, but with a very limited budget, yesterday I gave this guide a try and this is what I managed to come up with:

eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MCJPT-2815/hero/2095013

The only piece of gear I already had was the ring "The Lash", all the rest cost me around 1.5 Millions all in winning bids, no buyouts.

Today I will change my skills for whirlwind, put the missing gems and try it out. My goal is to clear act 4 Inferno mp0 since I never done it, after that is done then maybe do some mp1 farming.

I still have around 1.5 Millions available, so any particular piece of gear that you guys find particularly poor or should this be enough for my immediate goals?

Thanks for any advice.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes