[1.05] Hammer Of The Ancients builds

I have continued my 1.04 HoTA guide to this 1.05 one.

First I want to go through with changes in 1.05 that affect HoTA the most:
    1. Hammer gets 1% crit from every 5 fury you have.
    2. War Cry is nerfed.
    3. Leap has been changed.
    4. Sprint tornado coefficiency has been lowered from 2 to 0.8 (I discuss this in build 3).
    5. The addition of Monster power levels. You can go HC with HoTA now!
    6. Hellfire Ring.
    Short summary of the logics of the changes to actual gameplay:
    1. The fact that HoTA itself has been buffed to have almost 20% more crit makes it easy to spam it even without reduce gear - that is if you use build similar to my builds 2 & 3.
    2. War Cry nerf is bad; but you can survive if you just stack more resistances to your gear. I actually got raped pretty bad with about 400-500 resistances even in MP4+; but after I raised my resistances to ~600 (and started using dual wield) I was able to do MP8. Focus here mainly on getting dual resistance parts with All res + Phy res. You should be able to get enough Fire res (the only other res worth mentioning) from the all resistance.
    3. This should be ok. Just need to learn to leap on mobs lol
    4. This is for build 3 that I sketch abit further down.
    5. I am unsure yet how to play around with this. For sure, I will try to do bosses/übers with higher difficulty than I normally farm. Will I be doing those with build 3 when I farm with build 2? Dunno. Also, it will be interesting to see the relative benefits of doing higher MP lootwise. Will MP10 give huge advantage when hunting benefits over low MP's? Dont know. But for sure I think MP8 is the spot to be since in 9-10 the packs have huge amount of HP.
    6. Hellfire ring. This ring gives a solid amount of stats in addition to the fact that you get 35% more exp from it. Combine this with the fact that you can choose the main stat, 170-200 of str for example, and you got a winner. I am personally going to run all acts in order to farm as good as possible Hellfire ring.

For 1.05 I have written 3 options for different budgets/styles of plays.
    • Build option 1 is for if you dont have a lot of gold to spend. 5-20m budget.
    • Build option 2 is for if you have plenty of gold to spend; or if you dont like the playstyle of build 3. 20-200m budget.
    • Build option 3 is for if you have alot of gold. 200m+ budget.
    Build 1:
    http://eu.battle.net...kPXi!UZY!YYcZaZ

Basics:
    Use fury builder to build enough fury to be able to spam HoTA. If you are in trouble, defensively, then use your defensive cooldowns like: leap and ignore pain. I personally use these very often with trashes as well. Dont try to save those big defensive cooldowns for packs but burn them as often as possible.

Build 2:
    http://eu.battle.net...kPRi!UYZ!YacZYZ

Basically, for fury regen, you use the same theorycraft model as in Dino's Double Tornado build. In this you use Battle rage with the Into the fray rune to get fury from crititical hits rather than from Bash/Cleave as in my 0.1 spec.

Thusforth, with this spec you focus on critical hit chance. Why? Cause with this spec you are constantly so low on fury that you need all the fury you can get.

Build 3:
    http://eu.battle.net...WZUPR!ZYU!cZZcY

I have left 1 active skill slot open on purpose since the last skill is open to debate. Some use Overpower, some Ignore pain. Maybe Leap does the trick for you!

The interesting thing in this spec is that you can use Thrive on Chaos and go semi-Whirlwind barbarian with constant sprint.

This spec gets a huge thumbs up from me since, if you can keep Berserker up 100% you get a very good defensive boost from attack speed alone (that is if you have Life steal on your belt and weapon/'s).

Gear:
    1. Dual wield vs 2hand (Skorn):
    - I have found out that with the attack speed from dual wield you get so much better benefits from Life steal that dual wield is far superior to Skorn. Also, its relatively cheap to buy main hand with Socket and Vita or Str; and relatively low dps offhand (lets say 650dps minimum) with 80%+ crit damage, 2.8%+ life steal and with a lot of vitality (I have 250vit in my offhand).
    2. Life Steal:
    - Try to get atleast 2.9% on your belt and your offhand. If you happen to be lucky or rich then you can go with life steal on main hand too; of if you use 2hand with life steal ofc.
    3. Resistances:
    - The need for this depends altogether what MP you do. For example: I was able to do MP8 with~~700 resistances and MP3-4 with ~500.
    4. Health Globe bonus
    - I have 20k of this with 60k HP pool. You want to get this atleast to 10k+.
    5. HP is very important. I have 60k hp with life% gem for MP's 6+. You can go lower, lets say 50k, but the more you have the better it gets!
    6. Get that MF up.
    7. For build 1 you can get as many HoTA fury reduce gear parts as you want. Here is few:
    • Stone of Jordan - can give upto 5 reduce (Best fury reduce piece by far imo)
    • Skull grasp - Can give upto 4 reduce (semi ok)
    • 2 hander - can give upto 5 reduce
    • Shield - can give upto 5 reduce
    • Mara's Kaleidoscope - Can give up to 5 reduce (piece of junk imo)
    For build 2 you can spam endless HoTA with just 1 piece. 2 Is even better. For build 3 you dont want any HoTA reduce gear since you need to spend fury more than save it^^

Follower:
    I use Scoundrel as follower since you can get an awesome weapon for it http://eu.battle.net...burizado-kyanon With this weapon, the scoundrel can aoe freeze almost nonstop at best times. Its just awesome! Iw been using it already in 1.04.

Videos:
    m0rph3x video (credit goes for him)

My gear:
    http://eu.battle.net...19/hero/6430641

Old Guide:
    If you want to understand the basics of effective HoTA use then read my 1.04 guide:
    http://www.diablofan...uild-for-act-3/

Best,
    Cudez#2919 [EU]

ps. Im happy if someone can progress the theory so please feel free to trash my ideas.
    hey, thanks for updating your guide. just some points:

i just got into HOTA myself and this 1% crit every 5 fury you have was new to me, is it anywhere in the patchnotes?

your feelings about monsterpower etc. are mostly the same as mine. you will need decent resistances and hp (=defenses) for higher monsterpower levels to not get oneshot from big mobs. playing with speccs like 1 & 2 makes you a melee and you have to sustain damage to deal damage. overpower - crushing advance will serve very well here. most ppl will drop warcry and use overpower after patch. it should work great with high crit chance.

can you maybe go a bit more into detail about items and stats required for *endless* hota spam?
    for example stuff that can roll fury-cost reduce for HOTA? i know it's available on skull grasp, stone of jordan and ofc on weapons. did i miss anything? and is there any way to look for those items on the AH besides working through 46 pages of sh***?
    crit is also vital for the specc to work, if you rely on battle rage - into the fray proccs.
    passives like superstition (defensive) or animosity (offensive) may also help you gaining fury.

concerning your 1h/2h comparison, i'm not sure if you're right. life steal should naturally scale much better with 2h weapons (because of higher base dmg) than 1 handers. also HOTAs dmg is calculated on weapon damage, so you get higher crits with higher basedmg. ofc there is a point where dual wielding can compete because of higher stat bonuses, but i think in the end 2h will be superior.

another thing that came into my mind is the importance of attack speed. i got the impression, that attackspeed increases the animation speed of hota. can anyone confirm?
    i'm using bash to build up another 24% bonus dmg before using hota..i think after 1.05 is out, i will focus on attackspeed.

last but not least, i totally agree with your healthglobe bonus comment. atm this stat is very underrated, but in 1.05 it will also increase healing from potions and since hp pools will more or less go up to survive higher monsterpower-levels, this stat will become even more desirable.
    Quote from gosant

hey, thanks for updating your guide. just some points:
    i just got into HOTA myself and this 1% crit every 5 fury you have was new to me, is it anywhere in the patchnotes?

Yeah lemme have a look."•For every 5 Fury a player has, Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit chance"
    Quote from gosant

can you maybe go a bit more into detail about items and stats required for *endless* hota spam?
    for example stuff that can roll fury-cost reduce for HOTA? i know it's available on skull grasp, stone of jordan and ofc on weapons. did i miss anything? and is there any way to look for those items on the AH besides working through 46 pages of sh***?
    crit is also vital for the specc to work, if you rely on battle rage - into the fray proccs.
    passives like superstition (defensive) or animosity (offensive) may also help you gaining fury.

Yeah sure bro... I used only one 5 fury reduce to HoTA piece of gear in PTR and was basically ok. Its optimal to get this from Stone of Jordan since this is already an insane piece of equipment. Also, you can try the aforementioned Skull grasp ring, Mara's Kaleidoscope neck, 2h, or shield (you can even look for hammer reduce for shield and 2h hehe).
    Quote from gosant

concerning your 1h/2h comparison, i'm not sure if you're right. life steal should naturally scale much better with 2h weapons (because of higher base dmg) than 1 handers. also HOTAs dmg is calculated on weapon damage, so you get higher crits with higher basedmg. ofc there is a point where dual wielding can compete because of higher stat bonuses, but i think in the end 2h will be superior.

Well, theoretically it doesnt make sense to say that dual wield is better, but: I tested this alot and heres few reasons.
    1.) Its better to have solid constant HP regen - rather than 1 big amount of hp gained.
    2.) you get more attack speed from dual wielding. This is good for your life steal bonus. Faster swing animations and swings bro^^
    3.) if you dont crit - its not that big a deal with dual wield (since your next attack doesnt take a week).
    Anyways, I used to be 2h HoTA barb, but watched one stream with dual wielder and tested it out. Man - you cant believe what a change that has been!
    I even got a 1322dps str Skorn with life steal drop last night and tested around HoTA again with that, and I didnt last 15minutes hehe.
    Quote from gosant

another thing that came into my mind is the importance of attack speed. i got the impression, that attackspeed increases the animation speed of hota. can anyone confirm?
    i'm using bash to build up another 24% bonus dmg before using hota..i think after 1.05 is out, i will focus on attackspeed.

Yeah it does. Alot faster animations.
    Quote from gosant

last but not least, i totally agree with your healthglobe bonus comment. atm this stat is very underrated, but in 1.05 it will also increase healing from potions and since hp pools will more or less go up to survive higher monsterpower-levels, this stat will become even more desirable.

WoW didnt know this hehe. Thanks for sharing bro^^
    Few additions to guide.

1. Follower: I use Scoundrel as follower since you can get an awesome weapon for it http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/burizado-kyanon With this weapon, the scoundrel can aoe freeze almost nonstop at best times. Its just awesome! Iw been using it already in 1.04.

2. Hellfire ring. This ring gives a solid amount of stats in addition to the fact that you get 35% more exp from it. Combine this with the fact that you can choose the main stat, 170-200 of str for example, and you got a winner. I am personally going to run all acts in order to farm as good as possible Hellfire ring.
    Thanks again for this great guide. I will definitely do those builds once I get the gear.

Meanwhile I will do my gearless Hammer build:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZSQPRV!ZYW!YbYZYc

This I tested in PTR and it will keep your fury at a constant 60-120 fury even without any gear. Once you are getting better gear wise you can switch more in direction of Cudez builds.
    Hi guys,
    you can check my barbarian , i'm running a build with HotA since long time and almost achieved something. (Using it as main)

* hammer fury cost :20 - (3 from mightyweapon) - 4 -5 -3 from gear = 5
    *superstition instead of armore for defense generate good fury (exemple on ghom = full because of poison)
    * charge/leap/warcry give me enough fury (on other boss if start with no fury, hard to reach enough for berserk though)
    * marauder rage with bloodshed for "AOE" very good in combination with the smal radius of "damage rune" for hammer

here is my barb
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Grut-2874/hero/2156537 (eu) (cant post complete url) - fixed it for you Zero(pS)

Grut

Edit : about the playstyle :

Charge like a madman, leap, and Smash, more than 1M crits in berserk
    Bought a Sword main hand with life steal (1060dps) and vit (got 55k hp) and some Attack speed gear. Few conclusions: I have also been testing extensively Hammer reduce shields.

1. Sword main hand is awesome! They are a lot cheaper with life steal and Socket than axe's and maces. Payd 36m for my sword :D
    2. Sword also gives attack speed that just increases your survival since you can spam Hammer more^^
    3. Shield is a good option if you can just get your damage up there 90k+ (with hammer reduce Jordan and shield atleast).
    4. I need Skull grasp (-3 reduce) and Stone of Jordan (5reduce) to keep my barb up and running.
    5. I have settled to run MP6 since some packs are just retarded at higher MP's (read. the trees in a1 fields haha) :D

Ill update again after I have tested the spec/gear more^^ (friend is actually going to use Skorn again with the spec so maybe ill try Skorn with Life steal too later. Ill write my experiences from this^^).

Good luck and have fun,
    Cudez!
    Another option for low budget HoTA build - no cost reduction is needed at all.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZkPXR!bZY!bYcZaY

difference from 1st build - changed ignore pain to battle rage: into the fray, i have 50 crit chance and hitting 2-3 enemies is almost always gives me enough fury; hitting 5-6+ can instantly cap my fury.
    with this build i just jump into the crowd and spam HoTA non stop. LL from belt + stuns from HoTA is enough to keep me alive on MP3. Also changed main attack for frenzy with 15% runspeed - to finish an injured single targets and get a speed boost.

I am running with the skorn, but feeling that a weapon with ~5% LL could fit this build much more.. but i can not force myself to change such sweet weapon - the only worthy piece of my gear )
    and up to 1M crits with WotB are so amazing to see :D

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aldoran-2133/hero/11122763
    Quote from Cudez
    • Mara's Kaleidoscope - Can give up to 5 reduce (piece of junk imo)

you know that maras roll 3 random stats now in 1.05?
    I came up with my own version of this build independently, based on a pretty low budget:

http://us.battle.net...44/hero/6620344

Thoughts on my specific version:

- This version uses a 2H to let you get the necessary amounts of Life Steal without breaking the bank
    - Based on this, Cleave becomes much more attractive, since Life Steal isn't nerfed for Cleave in the same way LoH is; hit three enemies, get 3x the life
    - With Life Steal, Earthquake is surprisingly viable as a defensive cooldown, particularly if you fire off WoTB w/Insanity immediately before. Standing in the middle of your own EQ will usually return life fast enough that you can trade blows with anything without your life dropping at all
    - Weapon Master can be overrated; using a 2H means that you need all the defense you can get, and Passive Skills are the way to do it.
    - Rage is a constant issue with this version, so you'll want to use Leap and War Cry whenever possible to maintain high Rage levels

Even with mediocre gear, I can handle anything MP1 throws at me. I'll likely switch to MP2 tonight to continue farming, but might be able to do MP3 if I were careful.
    Well, my build is pretty similar to all of these. Except i cant post links until 10 posts......fuck

Fine.

HOTA | Stun rune
    Leap| Stun rune
    Ground stomp | wrenching smash (stun)
    Battle Rage | Crit for fury
    Berserker | Slaugher/or insanity
    Overpower | crushing advance

Ruthless
    Bloodthirst for LS till i get LS wep
    Tough as Nails

The passives can be swapped around depending on your gear. Right now i have almost 60%crit chance without berserker which is very nice as almost every swing is a crit. I use a Skorn that i farmed. My other gear is all crit chance and crit damage. Resistances are average 550 or so. Health is rediculously low, at 32k.
    On MP5 i pretty much destroy everything without having to fall back and regroup. Just leap in or ground stomp, then swing away. The trash mobs are just cannon fodder for this build, An entire screen full disappears in seconds. I should mention that my crit damage is at 480% my highest crit so far is 780k and is usually around 500k. You will need a life steal belt and it is nice to have a life steal weapon, which i am trying to get right now. This build is super fun also, watching bodies explode across the screen. Sometimes the bodies will glitch and there will be a ceiling with bodies glitched everywhere, looks pretty damn cool when it happens. Elite mobs are a little harder as usual but with Berserker active it cuts down on those stupid frozen exploding orbs and other impairing affects. Dont be afraid to stun, hit an elite a few times and then drop back and wait for the stun to activate. It wont take long to take down an elite pack this way. Leap attack also stuns, and serves as an escape route. Overpower is wonderful for tanking elite mobs, remember you will be critting like crazy, especially with berserker active and you can use it every few seconds. I do not have any hota reduction gear and this still works very well. Will be looking forward to adding some reduction gear to increase the efficiency of the build. I have farmed almost almost all of my gear except my rings and ammy which is pretty damn satisfying, and cheap as hell.
    Quote from stoolsoftener

I do not have any hota reduction gear and this still works very well

hi,

I really like to understand how you can generate fury .. or do a boss fight without pushing a few hammer and ... a lot "default skill"

edit : is the crit with into the fray enough for sustain hammer ?
    thanks
    Quote from guttu

I really like to understand how you can generate fury .. or do a boss fight without pushing a few hammer and ... a lot "default skill"

Without cost reduce I made these observations:

When fighting multiple enemies Fury will always stay at max.
    This can be also done with alot of champion packs with smart positioning.
    In rare situations when you are fighting only single targets or champion packs will be too scattered to hit multiple enemies it will not suffice.
    You then have the following options:
    A> Just hold your left mouse and use high fury generators to fully bridge the gap when your fury runs low.
    B> Use hit and run tactics having a few seconds (not more than 1-5) not attacking and waiting for your generator cooldowns. You can use the time to collect globes and for smart repositioning to escape arcane and other zones or just for collecting mobs for option C.
    C> Pull more mobs to the champions. These will give you more fury and life.
    D> Make a basic attack.

The last one is the worst option of course. I think stoolsofteners build might have too few fury generated with just leap and stomp for Option A. It might work with 5x IK though. With my build above I have no problem using option A because of the 2 fury runed skills + Animosity. My fury will never empty even on a single target enemy like when fighting the UberBoss Siegebreaker for 3+ minutes. But I often find myself using B and C on packs. Option B to evade molten and arcane effects and charge back in the fight. Option C just to improve kill speed and survivability. I often have less problems fighting a horde of enemies +1-2 chamions/rares than I have just fighting a single ranged champion pack without any adds. If I encounter such enemies I usually run past them until I find more mobs that I can fight together with the pack.
    Quote from guttu

hi,

thanks

Not sure if it is with this build, but it definately is with the HotA build I am using (taken from the guy who made the 2.6m dps thread in this forum with videos of HotA and throw barb).

Using no HotA reduced fury items and I never have fury issues even single target, and instead I am going for frenzy damage (maybe frenzy make it sustainable?). Only attack with rend, frenzy, and hota.
    @Adhal I think you are missing the point here. If you have frenzy and therefore a generator without CD it is obvious you have no problems generating the fury. The question guttu was asking was for Hammer-Only builds where you skip the basic generator to have one more slot available.

Apart from that the build you are using is pretty good.
    Loved it, that was certainly barbaric
    Quote from Cudez

Build 3:

I have left 1 active skill slot open on purpose since the last skill is open to debate. Some use Overpower, some Ignore pain. Maybe Leap does the trick for you!

The interesting thing in this spec is that you can use Thrive on Chaos and go semi-Whirlwind barbarian with constant sprint.

This spec gets a huge thumbs up from me since, if you can keep Berserker up 100% you get a very good defensive boost from attack speed alone (that is if you have Life steal on your belt and weapon/'s).

ps. Im happy if someone can progress the theory so please feel free to trash my ideas.

I am currently experimenting with this build and looks very interesting! I went for Overpower with CA as a 6th skill.
    I swapped frenzy for bash with the skill damage increase buff.

Also i am considering swapping bash for war cry and see if i can get it rolling without a generator. I think this will require Animosity.

Anyways, the dmg is very nice. The defensive side was a bit low and it didnt work too wel on ubers.
    In compairison to my normal rend/hota build.

Great for mfing for sure!
    stumbled onto this thread through google and made an account to share some info i have came across while making my hota barb.

Might help you all.

obviously battle rage into the fray is a must use.
    Reduce fury cost of hota by 5 should be a minimum requirement imo.

this will ensure every crit you land does not degenerate fury even if its a single target.

Go for IK SET bonus. 5 peices. helm armor belt boots gloves use ik hammer if you must to make the 5.
    There is a +2 fury gained as well as max fury bonus.
    Use animosity. 20% fury gained + 20 max fury.

Those two stats will make your fury regenerate and never degenerate.
    The other option is to use the unforgiving if you can not get ik peices.

By doing this you ensure you are at full fury and your crit chance is very high.

Eliminate the need for a fury generator all together. Instead put Hammer of the Ancients on your primary.

Secondary click use REND with Bloodlust. It will be an instant heal in crowds and doubles as a dps.
    Look for a belt with reduced cost of fury to REND. They are rather cheap in AH and helps keep fury up for your HOTA.

obviously the next few skills are standard.

Battle rage into the fray
    warcry impunity (although I sometimes prefer dodge bonus when using 2h wep)
    WotB Thrive ( I prefer this as it gives more uptime and ensures a higher crit chance, on my build personally it puts my crit over 100%)

last skill is more preference. I have had a lot of success using Overpower with the crushing advance. the 35% reflect is a great way to heal as well and doubles as a DR% because of the mechanics of reflect. On top of the reduced cooldown per crit landed. In a mob of trash I can spam this at will.

Your goal should be to get as high as crit chance as possible.

I find at 55% crit with max fury I rarely run into fury generation problems with my primary being HOTA and the rare times I do not land a crit my warcry generation makes up for the loss.

imo IK set is the way to go as it allows you to ditch fury generators altogether and use HOTA as a primary + Rend Healing.

I run MP8 using this set up with a 2hander skorn and have no real issues. I used to have problems before switching to overpower crushign advance.
    nice guide
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes