Sever is kind of overpowered!

Bought it for testing. And 2 guys above me are totally correct. If you are out of trash mobs, you will get zero heals on elite packs, and the whole game is all about killing elites. So i rolled back to my 800 loh offhand. Unless you roll some LOH on this item, which i doubt you will, its pritty useless imo.
    Well you can always use a LoH main hand and Sever as offhand.
    My main has 771 LoH and I also got 264 passive regen and that's enough to survive most packs without using a health pot.
    I decided to buy one after all, and I'm not disappointed. Just to recap for anyone considering one: You should view the stats on the exact Sever you consider just as you would any sword i.e., look for high DPS, look for vitality, look for a socket. The last flavor in the description is the key: "Enemies lay in pieces at your feet" ... that is short for saying: The final blow to any and all enemies is a multi-million damage crit. The sword does only vanilla damage up to that point and doesn't do anything for any other skills more than the average sword might do --- sorry, no special high damage WW or tornado. The key is to have life steal ... and it doesn't have to be on the Sever, it can be on your other weapon (or a Mighty Belt). That 10 million damage final blow with even a 2% life steal equals a 20,000 heal. Keep in mind, as as been said all along in this thread, you only get the benefit if you kill something (anything) ... so a single boss fight or a pack of elites alone in a cave will be the same fight as with any more ordinary weapon.
    If you can get a mace/axe main hand with Life on hit and high dps with str/crit damage/socket and "possibly" lifesteal, sever will make an amazing offhand regardless of the stats. You will also need lifesteal on your belt.

The more life on hit you have, the more effective your healing from tornadoes/whirlwind, unless you have ridiculously high dps, 100k dps unbuffed+, life on hit will definitely outshine lifesteal against champ/rare packs with double whirlwind. My problem was that my sword which I was using and replaced with Sever had 850 dps, 60% crit damage and 850 LOH, where as my mainhand has lifesteal.

As long as you gear appropriately, Sever is absolutely amazing in terms of keeping you at full health while getting 100+ kill streaks.
    Quote from Shadroz

If you can get a mace/axe main hand with Life on hit and high dps with str/crit damage/socket and "possibly" lifesteal, sever will make an amazing offhand regardless of the stats. You will also need lifesteal on your belt.

The more life on hit you have, the more effective your healing from tornadoes/whirlwind, unless you have ridiculously high dps, 100k dps unbuffed+, life on hit will definitely outshine lifesteal against champ/rare packs with double whirlwind. My problem was that my sword which I was using and replaced with Sever had 850 dps, 60% crit damage and 850 LOH, where as my mainhand has lifesteal.

As long as you gear appropriately, Sever is absolutely amazing in terms of keeping you at full health while getting 100+ kill streaks.

The problem with Sever as I see it is the lack of LoH AND a socket. Imo a weapon is nothing without the socket (you loose out on so much), and if you are a ww barb you need the 6-7-800 LoH on one weapon (most likely your OH). Which means if you want Sever as an OH you will use (as you said) a MH with high dps, socket and LoH, and these cost 1.000.000.000+!

However, you can get a Sever with high dps and a socket and use it as a MH. These are however rare and i presume way to expensive. (And it requires more crit gear compared to your typicall mace/axe and weapons mastery combo)

Which leaves me to the conclusion: Sever is useless :-)
    I've gotten some jewelry with life on hit, and my main hand is life leech, so i'm about 600-700LoH 2.5% LL, and it's kinda working now, main problem is that to get a big heal, you have to use bash or a hard hitting killing blow, tornadoes tick for too little damage to make a substantial heal, so i whirlwind tornado a buncha thrash, and then work on killing elites when my HP spikes down i go and pick off some thrash with a single target skill.

Overall i find it to add a layer of complexity and take away from me just happily whirlwinding through mobs.
    Just currious how does this work with reflect damage?
    I haven't died from killing blows yet so I guess blizz thought about this.

Btw WW killing blows hit for ~800k for me and heal for 11k and tornado kills for 300k or so and heal for 4-6k.
    i tell you what, to anyone that wants to see how it works, just check out my twitch feed. i'm usually on in the afternoons/evenings Central time zone. I aint saying its the end all weapon, i just like it. Especially for farming, which i currently have to do in Acts 1 or 2 to be efficient. For the record, i usually have my lowly 590 something dps stat stick in my bag for Kulle/belial, but esp for Kulle. Its got both LOH and life steal on it and i dont die with it. Sever is great for blasting thru mobs and elites both in A1 and A2. I've tried it in A3 and much to my chagrin, its not that good. but then my barb isnt that good yet either. Only played her for a month and some weeks i think and not a lot of hours.

Anyways, if you have doubts or questions or just wanna see 15K heals, check my feed.
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    hmm so i guess it is the same thing as Life on Kill?
    Quote from hamiku

hmm so i guess it is the same thing as Life on Kill?

Yep, but of course, you must have life steal on Sever or elsewhere
    Since I started using this weapon (as an off hand) I do not need anymore my LoH.
    I'm farming Act III with ease, using the bloodthirst passive talent and it's working great !
    For difficult elite pack, I just have to run (that's ok for me as I'm using the run/WW build) to trash mob pack to get back full HP anytime.

It's not overpowered or cheat, but it's working perfectly for barbarians with high DPS, providing a way to play without (or less) Life of Hit stat. Hope it won't be change/fix/nerf :(
    i dont see it as OP or a cheat either. Its a legendary. And for the last few months we, the Diablo community, has been complaining about how the old legendaries werent that great. So, they made them to be "legendary" and/or "unique" as they should be. It should be a lot better in some aspects than a rare or magical item
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    What about pvp, a wizard with diamond skin up but with low hp taking a hit, does it proc the sever? resulting in a gazilion dmg crit or does it check for diamond skin first?
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    sever and overpowered in the same sentence made me laugh.

yes its good for shits and giggles when seeing high dps numbers.
    since i assume anyone thinking this is OP is used to seeing crits under 100k.

its a shit item with shit dps. fun to screw around with for 5 minutes but then its just bad again.
    Who says D3 has no necro? :facepalm:

Seriously, who posts in a 1-year-old thread?
    Quote from maka

Who says D3 has no necro? :facepalm:

Seriously, who posts in a 1-year-old thread?

You could say, he summoned the thread from the dead!
    Make your peace...Quickly!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes