2handers ever viable?

Mind sharing your build/gearing strategy Stewie?

PS: Dead sexy.
    Quote from Hoffer

I'm loving 2-hander. I used to use the cookie cutter dual wield double tornado stuff. Traded my weapons for a 1400 dps axe with strength and a socket. 300k+ charge and revenge crits make me a happy camper.

Part of the reason I switched to 2-hander was to get ready for pvp. All this dual wield stuff will be complete crap in pvp so the closer and closer we get to the 1.1 patch, the more expensive 2-handers will get. Buy now while they are reasonably priced!

U will suffer from the same issue as people are experiencing in PVE.. If you have ever pvped in a game seriously you will now that issues with character movement and game mechanics only gets worse when you are against players..

You will be stuck every time you swing your slow weapon.. Not to mention that demon hunters will faceroll EVERYTHING! with their nat´s set bonus giving them unlimited vaults.. Unlimited vaults + cloak + hungering arrow ( which seeks the target on its own meaning you dont need to waste time aiming with the mouse..

with their insane dmg they are going to seriously hand everyone their asses.. Anyone who doesnt believe this is going to happen note this post down.. Because you have no gapcloser in this entire game that can follow a demon hunter vaulting.

I mean half the time when you leap at stuff even npc mobs run away before you hit the ground next to them imagine a DH..

Seriously.. Are you guys so naiv?
    Quote from Ivpiv

Quote from Hoffer

I'm loving 2-hander. I used to use the cookie cutter dual wield double tornado stuff. Traded my weapons for a 1400 dps axe with strength and a socket. 300k+ charge and revenge crits make me a happy camper.

Part of the reason I switched to 2-hander was to get ready for pvp. All this dual wield stuff will be complete crap in pvp so the closer and closer we get to the 1.1 patch, the more expensive 2-handers will get. Buy now while they are reasonably priced!

U will suffer from the same issue as people are experiencing in PVE.. If you have ever pvped in a game seriously you will now that issues with character movement and game mechanics only gets worse when you are against players..

You will be stuck every time you swing your slow weapon.. Not to mention that demon hunters will faceroll EVERYTHING! with their nat´s set bonus giving them unlimited vaults.. Unlimited vaults + cloak + hungering arrow ( which seeks the target on its own meaning you dont need to waste time aiming with the mouse..

with their insane dmg they are going to seriously hand everyone their asses.. Anyone who doesnt believe this is going to happen note this post down.. Because you have no gapcloser in this entire game that can follow a demon hunter vaulting.

I mean half the time when you leap at stuff even npc mobs run away before you hit the ground next to them imagine a DH..

When pvp comes I'm suspecting many barb will switch to sprint:marathon with wotb:insanity. With +50% run speed your vault isn't going to help you much.
    To answer OP: Yes, 2h is definitely viable. It's not exactly progression gear, but after you outgear the content, I think 2h spec offer the fastest farming speed. It's definitely faster than tornado build in terms of killing because with 2h mob dies before you even need to set up anything.

I've played around with many 2h build, and I like these 2 builds the most:

Slam build - Slam turns you into somewhat of a midrange fighter. You can hit without getting hit, then finish off a lone straggler with bash. Good when you are weak on the defense department. Going 3-2-1 with this build will melt any unshielded nonrange elite pack in literally seconds.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aeRTPk!ZYd!ZYbbZc

Charge build - This is a build that I engineered myself. This offer the best paper dps (as far as I know of) with your gear since you're taking all the possible damage buff. I do 250k crit with normal hit on this build, and my gear isn't even that great yet. The merciless assault rune makes it very satisfying charging through large group of white mobs that literally die in seconds. They can't hit you back if you're dead. With the crazy dmg buff EQ proves to be more than enough to melt elite packs.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aSRTik!ZYc!cZbbac

Lifesteal starts to scale very well after you have sufficiently high dps. On aoe attack like slam or charge it will heal you back to full. If you can get a hand on mighty belt or weapon with lifesteal it's definitely a bonus. Regardless, with the rate at which you will be killing you will find plenty of health globes to heal back after fight.
    The inherent problem with 2 handers is being limited to 1 socket. 100% crit damage is HUGE, yes, all capitals. I know it can be done, and has been done, but 2 handers can't meet the standards of dual wielding simply because of the amount of dps you lose in losing that extra socket. Hell, even shields have an advantage, you can make up for that 100% crit damage with 10% crit. My vote is to give 2 handers either an extra socket or a chance at critical strike percentage, because you just lose too much damage without either one.
    Quote from afallach

The inherent problem with 2 handers is being limited to 1 socket. 100% crit damage is HUGE, yes, all capitals. I know it can be done, and has been done, but 2 handers can't meet the standards of dual wielding simply because of the amount of dps you lose in losing that extra socket. Hell, even shields have an advantage, you can make up for that 100% crit damage with 10% crit. My vote is to give 2 handers either an extra socket or a chance at critical strike percentage, because you just lose too much damage without either one.

I think you're not taking into account of the abilities scaling with weapon damage. Sure, maximum gear 1h will have more paper dps from the critdmg (especially when the baseline dps of 2h is not that much greater than 1h). This would mean that when holding down attacking abilities like frenzy cleave or bash 1h has a potential to be as good as and even more powerful than 2h.

However, there are many skills which do not scale with attack speed, for example revenge, seismic slam, furious charge, and most importantly earthquake. For these abilities only the min-max weapon damage matters (and getting ias would not make them hit any harder or faster). If you use these abilities a lot slow 0.9 mace trumps over any 1h+shield or dw. Also, there are times when you have to hit and run at which you can't fully use the full fast swing timer of fast weapon, so it's better to concentrate attack into one hit (for example, when you can only hit once and retreat).

2h however, also has its drawbacks. One of the biggest drawback is getting stuck in attack animation. If you fail to anticipate beforehand whether you need to move in the next 0.3 seconds or not it could be a matter of life and death. For example, if you start another attack AFTER a desecrate has been casted under your feet that could very well means a death if you're already low on health. However, this can be easily fix with some caution and anticipation.
    Quote from proletaria

Will later, might make a post about it!
    Quote from HellStewie

Quote from proletaria

Will later, might make a post about it!

Don't be a tease baby!
    You could actually even play whirlwind with a 2h weapon. It just wouldn't be as strong because the extra damage from the 2h weapon doesn't compensate for the massive critical damage and life on hit you can get from your offhand (while keeping a cheap high damage main hand weapon with maybe a socket). It's not that 2h isn't "viable" (though I really don't like this term since it's so subjective), it's just that it takes a lot more gold to get it to work as effectively as a much cheaper dual-wielding or even sword&board build. To many that would count as "not viable" I suppose.

I'm not even sure a berserker+earhtquake+ignore pain "5 seconds of god mode hope the elites die before it ends" build would be better with a 2h compared to a good strong 1h with high crit damage on offhand, but I'm not too sure about that, and this build really is the most "2h-favoring" build out there due to earthquake damage being taken directly from weapon damage, independent of attack speed. In any case, no matter what you use this build simply isn't nearly as powerful as the sprint build or even a tank build due to how much more it would cost to make it work as well as the cooldown dependency.
    You just need to work alot harder (and try not to get hit by mobs) and pay alot more attention if you play 2H.. Cleared act 1 - 2 pre nerf but way too dependent on CD (Ignore pain + OP) and i die quite abit (RAGE!!!), but big numbers are entertaining, If you are having trouble to handle mobs, you should stick to the normal SNB till you got more gear or AH hunting.

You can always try it, no harm (may be 100k repair?), and if you don't like it, go for DW high LOH. If that still doesn't suit you, back to basic SNB tank stuff.
    yh 2handers are basecly are bad for progression unless you have awsome guear and lot of gold
    2H is certainly less viable that sword and board/DW, but that's not to say you shouldn't have one. A good 2H is very cheap because they've been globally declared useless, and provided you've got the gear to support it or are just looking for some fun, it's great. I like to stomp Act I with my 2H, I'd use it in later acts but my other gear can't sustain it. Good fun to see 250k crits spamming everywhere.
    Quote from Patchwerk

2H is certainly less viable that sword and board/DW, but that's not to say you shouldn't have one. A good 2H is very cheap because they've been globally declared useless, and provided you've got the gear to support it or are just looking for some fun, it's great. I like to stomp Act I with my 2H, I'd use it in later acts but my other gear can't sustain it. Good fun to see 250k crits spamming everywhere.

weapon is cheap, everything else is expensive because as everyone you need crit and crit dmg so in the end its probably as expensive as tornado build and even more expensive if you want to faceroll trough act 3
    Quote from Ivpiv

Quote from Hoffer

Nowhere in my post do I say 2-handed barbs are going to faceroll DH's. The only point I tried to make is that ranged classes will be kiting you. That is guaranteed. If you are in melee range for 1 second every 10 seconds even, 2-hander will be infinitely better than dual wield just because you want that one attack you get off to do as much damage as possible.
    Quote from Hoffer

Quote from Ivpiv

Quote from Hoffer

Nowhere in my post do I say 2-handed barbs are going to faceroll DH's. The only point I tried to make is that ranged classes will be kiting you. That is guaranteed. If you are in melee range for 1 second every 10 seconds even, 2-hander will be infinitely better than dual wield just because you want that one attack you get off to do as much damage as possible.

Love that you know how the arena and all the heros will be in patch 1.1. When will blizzard add endgame content and other cool stuff? Beacuse to me It looks like you know what you talk about so please inform me beacuse I'm dying here.

Derpherp Xpire.
    "Tried the adventuring life. Didn't care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit." - Vidar the Collector

Number 1 DH in Crit dmg @ World. Working for NR 1 in life aswell!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes