2handers ever viable?

In every rpg or mmo I have played I always go for a big 2hander over dualwielding. Mainly because i think they look alot cooler and I like big numbers, rather than fast small ones.

But in Diablo im stuck dualwielding... Im running double WW barb and i know its quite attackspeed dependent, but also for like revenge, wotb dualwielding is better. Sure you could maybe get the same dps if you get a crazy high dps 2hander,,, but it will always be worse because you lose so much life on hit with a slower weapon. And so many abilites are based on getting as many crits as possible, which is also always worse for a 2hand weapon.

I really hope that Blizz buffs legendary weapons, and then buffs all 2handers even more.

Something like increasing crit chance for 2handers or making LoH gain increase by 30-50% with twohanders,,, or making them able to have 2 sockets.

I mean look at this badboy, its one of the best looking weapons in the game imo, but noone will ever use it because its bad and its a 2hander.
    (It kind of pulses with energy, hard to get on a screen, maybe theres a video of the weapon)

So what do you think blizz should do with 2handers? Do you ever use one now?
    thats one sexy 2hander...

about what you are saying, tried life leach with a 2hander? There should be no difference between dw and 2h with lifeleach? Or am I missing something? And with higher dps, which us barbs are starting to get with the items currently out there, ll is a better stat than loh. While many abilities are based on crit, (i guess you are thinking about OP?) a slow 2hander will be harder hitting with fury spending skills.

...even though there are few viable fury spending builds out there, and they are inferior to the standard snb and ww builds, but so much more fun!
    yeh i play 2h in act 3 with 0 loh and 0 life leech, just costs a lot of gold
    2 handers should give double the stats as 1 hander.

Someone from another thread has said the different. With dual wield, you get the bonus stats from the off hands weapon. How does except 200str/vita 900 LOH, 150 crit sound? And your off hand can be garbage. You can get something like that with 200 dmg for like 2 million. That give you massive life and dps boost.
    btw, I do use a 2 handers, the tear act 2 aparts. By my 2 handers is little stronger than ik maul. 1300 with str/vita, leech and socket.
    I've been using a 2-hander for a while. Stats are something like:

37K dps
    55K HP
    ~800 all resists with Warcry
    can't remember armor, somewhere around 8K

Revenge and Furious Charge hit like a truck. 250K crits. Trash packs are no problem in Act 3 and die very quickly (gotta be careful around Tremor Demons and Skull Cleavers, of course). Wrath of the Berserker will kill at least one, usually two elites then I mop up the others.

My gear is good, but not great. Because I'm poor I sell every really good drop on the RMAH. Most of my items cost about 1 million gold apiece, which I think is reasonable.
    The greatest disadvantage to a 2-hander in my opinion is not the damage; I think that someone could create a 2h build that could be extremely competitive in terms of damage and survivability as a WW barb.

The problem that I've found when using a 2h is that there is no way to cancel an attack to move out of shit. The basic slam mechanic on Belial, for example, is totally impossible to avoid when using a 2 hander. Maybe it's part of the game design, but I don't like feeling "stuck" when I'm swinging a big axe. I would be much more willing to experiment if I was able to do something like move in the middle of a swing, even if it meant cancelling that swing.
    Quote from cw30000

Someone from another thread has said the different. With dual wield, you get the bonus stats from the off hands weapon. How does except 200str/vita 900 LOH, 150 crit sound? And your off hand can be garbage. You can get something like that with 200 dmg for like 2 million. That give you massive life and dps boost.

That is 100% incorrect. If your offhand is garbage then your dps will decrease dramatically because your damage is the average of the two weapons.
    Quote from BigEd781

Quote from cw30000

That is 100% incorrect. If your offhand is garbage then your dps will decrease dramatically because your damage is the average of the two weapons.

It's not 100% incorrect, more like 97%. Some attacks, like Sprint [Run Like the Wind] take their damage solely from the main hand damage, and so the offhand can basically be treated like a stat stick.
    Quote from Obisidian13

Quote from BigEd781

Quote from cw30000

It's not 100% incorrect, more like 97%. Some attacks, like Sprint [Run Like the Wind] take their damage solely from the main hand damage, and so the offhand can basically be treated like a stat stick.

...Alright, fair enough, good call :D. Still though, I'd hate to see someone run out and buy some crap weapon after reading that only to find out that it drops their dps by some large amount.
    I ran with 2h for quite some time, until I decided that I wanted to just faceroll through everything with swordboard. And now Im trying double tornado. But for progressing I actually liked my sidearm, shattering ground, ignorance is bliss, impunity, mountains call, insanity.

Just run in pop 1,3,4 and watch the champ packs die while you are immortal, if they dont die then go in and kick ass until you go low then out and kite with shattering ground and some life leech.

btw, running with ruthless, nerves of steel and berserker rage (yah I know its supernerfed in inferno but when slamming into a huge pack its still a 100% hp heal with insanity up).
    Quote from Obisidian13

The greatest disadvantage to a 2-hander in my opinion is not the damage; I think that someone could create a 2h build that could be extremely competitive in terms of damage and survivability as a WW barb.

The problem that I've found when using a 2h is that there is no way to cancel an attack to move out of shit. The basic slam mechanic on Belial, for example, is totally impossible to avoid when using a 2 hander. Maybe it's part of the game design, but I don't like feeling "stuck" when I'm swinging a big axe. I would be much more willing to experiment if I was able to do something like move in the middle of a swing, even if it meant cancelling that swing.

Yep... this is the reason most people don't like 2 handers. I was dead-set on using 2 handers as a WD (because Mana blows, so casting slower and doing more damage would be a good thing) but it was just too hard to kite with a 2 hander unless you blow up everything before it reaches you.

It's funny that you mention Belial because I was working on Belial Inferno shortly after release and I was having a hard time with phase 3. I decided to switch to a 1 hander and sure enough, I beat him my very next attempt (easily). It makes a world of difference.
    The OP's Stone Crusher is even more depressing than the 1 I had drop. Such bad luck with Immortal King's gear for me.
    Quote from Ruppgu

Quote from Obisidian13

Yep... this is the reason most people don't like 2 handers. I was dead-set on using 2 handers as a WD (because Mana blows, so casting slower and doing more damage would be a good thing) but it was just too hard to kite with a 2 hander unless you blow up everything before it reaches you.

It's funny that you mention Belial because I was working on Belial Inferno shortly after release and I was having a hard time with phase 3. I decided to switch to a 1 hander and sure enough, I beat him my very next attempt (easily). It makes a world of difference.

real barbs use sword with 1.1 speed, solves the problem

as a 2H barb sword is best choice always, unless you are undergeared and use seismic slam or earthquake, and with good enough gear 15% dmg increase>10% crit from weapons master
    Quote from cw30000

If i remember correctly it's the mainhands min to maxdamage (not weapon dps!) that determines the damage output of sprint' tornados and whirlwind.

Thus having a slow twohander should net some crazy numbers. If you don't need the stats from your offhand (vita, life on hit and/or lifeleech) to stay alive it's superior weapon damage (and style!) versus up to 200% additional critical hit damage and some strength, something you might want to check via spreadsheets to determine.
    Quote from ballon

Quote from cw30000

If i remember correctly it's the mainhands min to maxdamage (not weapon dps!) that determines the damage output of sprint' tornados and whirlwind.

Thus having a slow twohander should net some crazy numbers. If you don't need the stats from your offhand (vita, life on hit and/or lifeleech) to stay alive it's superior weapon damage (and style!) versus up to 200% additional critical hit damage and some strength, something you might want to check via spreadsheets to determine.

Not correct. 2handers is worse here also ;(. It is using the mainhands damage, but also your attack speed.

Thats why its better to dualwield (with a faster offhand than mainhand), since you get the 15% dualwield haste, and the damage-ticks from the tornados alternates between your main and offhands speed, but always uses the mainhand damage.
    I believe Blizzard said all current items will not get adjusted, only new items drop once they buff them. What in 1.0.4 i think....
    one thing i would really like to see would be a new passive : enable you to use 2x 2handers but you would lose 20% dmg or something so it wouldnt be OP ofc. for two reasons :

1. would be awesome :D ( nevermind if i do more dmg or not just for the looks :D )
    2. make 2handers more attractive since imo atm they are pretty useless bcos 2 1handers would beat em anyway day for the week.
    I'm loving 2-hander. I used to use the cookie cutter dual wield double tornado stuff. Traded my weapons for a 1400 dps axe with strength and a socket. 300k+ charge and revenge crits make me a happy camper.

Part of the reason I switched to 2-hander was to get ready for pvp. All this dual wield stuff will be complete crap in pvp so the closer and closer we get to the 1.1 patch, the more expensive 2-handers will get. Buy now while they are reasonably priced!
    I do well with a 2-hander and never used anything else. Even cleared Inferno pre-patch.
    I like taking 0 damage and killing everything very fast.

Here is my stats/build!

That's not my main weapon. But I look bad ass.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes