Armor vs Physical resist, what's the difference?

Hello, newbie question here: How is physical resist different than armor, don't they both reduce the damage you take from physical attacks? Also as a barb soon to finish off Nightmare, which one should I go for?

Thank you
    Armor reduces damage from everything also magic damage. You should be able to do hell with just a decent amount of vitality nothing special needed, once you start inferno you want to aim for pieces with resist all. Pieces with resist all and physical resist are nice once you get further in act2/3 and ideally you want the ratio armor:ph resist to be 10:1 for diminishing returns but its not that important.
    How are these damage reduction calculated? Multipicatively? First armor reduction then Resist reduction?
    Quote from egaleix

How are these damage reduction calculated? Multipicatively? First armor reduction then Resist reduction?

yea thats pretty much it.

Ie your overall Damage reduction to physical/melee hits is 1-(1-30%(inherent class reduction))*(1-70%(from armor))*(1-70%(from physicalresist))*(1-11%(dodge) and so forth
    Quote from bigbad

Armor reduces damage from everything also magic damage. You should be able to do hell with just a decent amount of vitality nothing special needed, once you start inferno you want to aim for pieces with resist all. Pieces with resist all and physical resist are nice once you get further in act2/3 and ideally you want the ratio armor:ph resist to be 10:1 for diminishing returns but its not that important.

Are you sure armor reduces all damage? I mean.. how can a metal breastplate reduce lightning damage? lol
    Quote from Bodycount1

Are you sure armor reduces all damage? I mean.. how can a metal breastplate reduce lightning damage? lol

Because in diablo 3 they programmed armour to reduce ALL incoming damage. It's a nice simple way to improve damage reduction.
    Quote from Bodycount1

Yes it does. You'll notice that armor grants "Damage Reduction" without specifying what damage. Its for everything!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes