Barbarian group tanking

Hey

I am running in a party with DH and WD.

What would be the best tanking spec and stats for me?

What numbers should i aim for?

We are at inferno atm.

And i would like an allover tanking build, so i can keep the MF stacks.
    It is pretty hard for a barb to tank solo. For a barb to be a real tank you need the buffs and debuffs provided by a monk (and vice versa).
    If you're really only tanking than just forget about DPS, boost your resi + vit + str. If you want, you cant get the fastest weapon with a good chunk of Life per hit on it.

An all over tanking build doesn't really excist due to the fact that you would need to set the skills to each champion pack and boss.
    But since you're talking about the MF stacks, i'm guessing you're group can already handle champion packs, from there on it's a question of gear, really.
    Yup, we can handle all kinds of packs,

Just looking for an all-round tanking build :P
    In this case i'd recommend something like this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVRkYQ!bVe!ccYcZc
    Since you're the only tank, you want to live as long as possible.

You could swap Ignore Pain for Jump if you're dps are comfortable with kiting in the outbreaking mobs.

Again fury generator comes down to personal choice but your role isn't dpsing.

There are arguments about Revenge and Overpower but for me, both combined make the difference between life and death on champion packs.

Just give it a shot ;)
    I'm toying with http://us.battle.net...XRgk!bXe!aaaYYa

Frenzy+Smite gives you a consistent single-target stun, and Seismic Slam+Stagger for your Fury dump gives you a consistent means of stunning and dealing with groups.

Leap+Iron Impact gives you an on-demand AOE snare combined with a massive armor boost as well as mobility. Ignore Pain+Mob Rule gives you and your entire team a huge damage reduction cooldown.

Threatening Shout+Demoralize forces monsters to focus on you, letting you peel for your teammates, and War Cry+Hardened Wrath gives everyone a large armor boost. If your team is light on CC, you might want Terrify instead of Demoralize; the overall goal is to reduce incoming damage and also have an ability you can use to peel monsters off your teammates.

All of your abilities (except Ignore Pain) generate Fury, which is then spent on Seismic Slam.

Take Nerves of Steel since you'll be stacking VIT anyway. Inspiring Presence makes your shouts last longer and gives you some constant regen on top of everything else. I opted for Superstition over Juggernaut primarily due to the Fury generation mechanic, which will allow you to spam Seismic Slam (AOE stun) more often.

You'd want a speedy weapon gemmed for life-per-hit, which is why we went with Frenzy+Smite over Bash+Clobber, though pretty much any weapon is speedy once Frenzy starts going.

I haven't had an opportunity to test this, but it seems like it'd be the most effective overall build. You'd need to tweak it for some packs, but I'd expect this would be able to handle most anything at least decently well.
    ^
    I think this is a pretty good build until you get good enough gear to just zerg down mobs before they can even kill you. (like I did once I got good enough gear in Hell)

I would suggest trying the dodge rune with War Cry because I find the avoidance of 15% to help me survive more than 20% extra armor does, or the Invigorate rune, while the rune itself is very weak, its nice with some extra hp regen when kiting IF you need it.

Ignore pain + iron hide is very nice, mob rule might be good but that depends on how often your ranged friends take dmg, adjust according to your preferences.

I concur that Inspiring presence, nerves of steel and superstition are great for surviving as well.

Another thing, once you get enough health you should try to get as much "resist to all elements" as possible as it would give you even more effective health... I noticed a big difference only after getting 1 piece with such stats

Personally I dont use stuns in inferno due to diminishing returns, but I since I haven't tried it at all I'd like to hear from someone who have.
    Quote from PizzaSHARK

Frenzy+Smite gives you a consistent single-target stun, and Seismic Slam+Stagger for your Fury dump gives you a consistent means of stunning and dealing with groups.

Leap+Iron Impact gives you an on-demand AOE snare combined with a massive armor boost as well as mobility. Ignore Pain+Mob Rule gives you and your entire team a huge damage reduction cooldown.

Threatening Shout+Demoralize forces monsters to focus on you, letting you peel for your teammates, and War Cry+Hardened Wrath gives everyone a large armor boost. If your team is light on CC, you might want Terrify instead of Demoralize; the overall goal is to reduce incoming damage and also have an ability you can use to peel monsters off your teammates.

All of your abilities (except Ignore Pain) generate Fury, which is then spent on Seismic Slam.

Take Nerves of Steel since you'll be stacking VIT anyway. Inspiring Presence makes your shouts last longer and gives you some constant regen on top of everything else. I opted for Superstition over Juggernaut primarily due to the Fury generation mechanic, which will allow you to spam Seismic Slam (AOE stun) more often.

You'd want a speedy weapon gemmed for life-per-hit, which is why we went with Frenzy+Smite over Bash+Clobber, though pretty much any weapon is speedy once Frenzy starts going.

I haven't had an opportunity to test this, but it seems like it'd be the most effective overall build. You'd need to tweak it for some packs, but I'd expect this would be able to handle most anything at least decently well.

There is no frenzy in that build? :)
    Quote from snakkes

Quote from PizzaSHARK

There is no frenzy in that build? :)

Derp, it didn't update. It's interchangeable; you'd use Bash+Clobber until you unlock Smite for Frenzy.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes